Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

That sun though this evening, big red ball in the sky you could look at without getting arc-eye because of the mist/ fine cloud.

I run hot on a cold day and don't handle humidity at all well and I probably weigh a bit less than when I started riding this evening. I was not a pretty sight out on the road, constantly wiping my eyes and forehead, I need not have bothered with the Vaseline I was sweating that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Lovely conditions for a cycle today, maybe a little warm, but enjoyable nonetheless.
    https://strava.app.link/5bBGWhlHT8

The sweat was literally dripping onto my top tube on a climb at 11am today and it wasn't even sunny, just weirdly warm.

Other than Wicklow Council doing their annual road destroying ritual with loose chippings it was a beautiful spin today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The sweat was literally dripping onto my top tube on a climb at 11am today
    this is normal for me even on a mildly warm day. doesn't help that the top of the top tube on my good weather bike is flat so the sweat doesn't even have the good grace to roll away out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

doesn't help that the top of the top tube on my good weather bike is flat so the sweat doesn't even have the good grace to roll away out of sight.

Ditto :o

Yeah I get invisible localised clouds that gather precisely over my toptube and bars and rain on them, thats the only scientific explanation I can think of :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Plastik wrote: »
    6r56pL0h.jpg

Took this up over the Sally Gap today. 7 speed, 42x21 climbing gear, decided to take it the easy ascent up Glenmacnass! A different pace of cycling compared to constantly bating around on the race bike. All was going well until classic motoring symptom struck and the NDS crank fell off about 7km from the Gap!

And the ride, by the numbers

91km 56m
    1011m 3316ft
    28.2kph 17.5mph

Regardless of mechanical issues, that's a beautiful bike

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That sun though this evening, big red ball in the sky you could look at without getting arc-eye because of the mist/ fine cloud.

I run hot on a cold day and don't handle humidity at all well and I probably weigh a bit less than when I started riding this evening. I was not a pretty sight out on the road, constantly wiping my eyes and forehead, I need not have bothered with the Vaseline I was sweating that much.

Same, up to the Sally gap after work and the sweat was píssing off me, erm, I was positively glowing. The heat haze and sporadic sunlight gave the place a real Twighlight Zone buzz. Plenty of cyclists up there with some still going up as I was coming down at 8:10pm. Ton of bitey insects too, must put some repellent on next time out.

522866.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin in a little over a fortnight after having a small hernia operation. I was told not to cycle for 2 weeks so for once, I did what I was told. Didn't try any sprints or mad climbing out of the saddle but kept it nice and steady. I honestly thought I'd have been a bit more knackered but I felt fairly good afterwards despite hitting my max heart rate on the one small dig I tried. Pretty happy with the recovery.
    Just over 45km @ nearly 32kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3907285924

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

cletus wrote: »
    Regardless of mechanical issues, that's a beautiful bike

Okay - I'll be the one to ask the obvious question.

Invisible bike prop or Photoshop?

Had a week down in Kerry and got out in the Glenbeigh/Glencar area twice. Restricted to two hour spins in the evening as have small kids, but really enjoyed it.

Made it up the Ballaghisheen Pass and straight back down from Glenbeigh just before it got dark on one beautiful evening. Slow enough going as not a flat stretch in sight with uneven and twisty roads but a lovely spin. Top of the pass is tough enough going: https://www.strava.com/activities/3903995490

Beautiful area for cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Gorey , Ferns ,Enniscorthy, across towards Oulart, on to main road Ballyedmund, Ballycanew .
    78km avg 30.5kph 610 meters. Nice and with nothing too hectic today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Okay - I'll be the one to ask the obvious question.

Invisible bike prop or Photoshop?

Small stick holding it up on the nds against the crank bolt, you can see it through the chainset. Covert with the road noise and other shadows.

Magical day on the bike today. Plan was to explore some of the gravel roads around Trooperstown, taking the backroads and bohereens between Red lane and Anamoe to get there. Sketched out a 120k route for the Garmin last night and headed off in warm, misty weather. Very quiet l-roads from Red lane onwards and dusty gravel through Trooperstown and climbing up the far side. Stopped to take a couple of shots at the top and got talking to an older couple also taking in the views. Turns out he was Peter Crinion, and ex-pro cyclist and (as my missus informed me later) Irish Olympiad. Had a really enjoyable natter and then headed on my way around the Vale of Clara, Moneystown and the tracks around Roundwood reservoirs. Then up towards Djouce and the Old long hill, but remembering it was being resurfaced took the dirt road back to the Long hill, Enniskerry and home. 121k with 1.7k of up all in at extremely leisurely pace with plenty of off road, pretty much my ideal day on a bike.

523081.jpg

523082.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^
    I imagine Peter Crinion is familiar with the roads around that part of the country.
    He won the Shay Elliott in 1959.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^
    I imagine Peter Crinion is familiar with the roads around that part of the country.
    He won the Shay Elliott in 1959.

Lot of unpaved roads at that point too apparently, he mentioned the descents were challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I've only started cycling recently apart from a mountainbike as a teenager.
    Longest trip yesterday at 48.7km, mostly flat apart from the hill up home at the end (140m) when I was wrecked. Average speed of 15.5kmh. Loving it so far and very addictive.
    Cycling an old Czechoslovak Favorit road bike which I'm slowly cleaning up and upgrading the oul components.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've only started cycling recently apart from a mountainbike as a teenager.
    Longest trip yesterday at 48.7km, mostly flat apart from the hill up home at the end (140m) when I was wrecked. Average speed of 15.5kmh. Loving it so far and very addictive.
    Cycling an old Czechoslovak Favorit road bike which I'm slowly cleaning up and upgrading the oul components.

Well done.
    Would you mind posting a photo of your bike, please.
    Not too many of them around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Well done.
    Would you mind posting a photo of your bike, please.
    Not too many of them around these parts.

I'll try to post a better pic when I'm out again.
    I'm not in Ireland anymore and bought it in Slovakia but so far very impressed, never cycled a road bike before and it's a delight zipping along.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Wife was away for the weekend so decided to try my first 100km trip. Probably shouldn’t have put the hardest climb at the 80k mark. Especially not with 2 segments called the wall followed by the tough bit. Nearly broke me.
    Happy enough to survive the spin though.
    24kmph 1544m of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Wife was away for the weekend so decided to try my first 100km trip. Probably shouldn’t have put the hardest climb at the 80k mark. Especially not with 2 segments called the wall followed by the tough bit. Nearly broke me.
    Happy enough to survive the spin though.
    24kmph 1544m of climbing.

Just realised my final climb is on number 32, Glassamucky, of the top 100 climbs thread. Probably why I struggled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Race yesterday & 4 hr spin today, 4 punctures & two badly damaged and/or buckeld rims.

Not the nest weekend on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

dahat wrote: »
    Race yesterday & 4 hr spin today, 4 punctures & two badly damaged and/or buckeld rims.

Not the nest weekend on the bike.

Nasty, how can you not tell if a wheel is buckled though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume he meant one is badly damaged and buckled, and the other is buckled.

Club spin today, Gorey, Arklow, woodenbridge, Avoca, Rathdrum, through Deputy Pass to the Beehive , back on old N11 to Arklow and to Gorey.
    88km avg 33.1 kph 620 meters.
    Last 20km was tough had to sit on the back and did no turns , played the age card with the young bucks :), in fairness they were sound about it .

you still working on the cadence? by the sounds of the above, there's no need to.

you still working on the cadence? by the sounds of the above, there's no need to.

Nah, just sticking to what im comfortable with, maybe not going into too much spinning on drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tony04 wrote: »
    Nasty, how can you not tell if a wheel is buckled though?

Both are buckeld alright but fearing the damage on rear rim has affected the carbon faring,hit the hole a fair slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Was away in Wexford for the weekend, got out for a 65km spin just before the rain.
    Started in Kilmuckridge, onto Courtown, Gorey, Camolin, Ferns, then I made a severe misjudgement in planning, instead of following thevn11, I decided yo cut straight back yo Kilmuckridge - boy was that a mistake, the roads were in such a sh1t state, it was almost like riding on cobbles, not so bad on uphill, but every downhill when I should be getting a break, I had to grip on the brakes and brace against the rattles.
    Was fierce clammy out, but only a little wind.

Tough, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, until I was locked out in the garden for about 20 mins in the rain.

https://strava.app.link/ZjOnR25218

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did my first club spin in a couple of weeks yesterday. I was minding myself a bit but still did my share and hung on nicely when it picked up for the last 20 odd km. Beautiful cycling weather, 18° and not much of a breeze.
    Longwood - Summerhill - Dunshaughlin - Ratoath - Skryne - Trim - Longwood. Just over 100km @ just under 32kmh.

Decided I'd do a bit of zwift tonight to speed up the recovery process.
    Mount VenTop. Horrible long slog. 90:05" of churning and grinding along a fairly featureless 8-10% gradient all the way. Don't know if I'd bother doing it again, Alpe d'Zwift is much more stimulating

• Advertisement

This thread akways lags behind for me ,cannot load the katest posts since yesterday ,happens regularly :(

Often have to post in it to get it back up to date.
    This happen to anyone else ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement