Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://www.strava.com/activities/3953248289

Very steady sunday spin with a few from the village. Ages ranging from 17 to almost 70.

Coming out of Allenwood a lad passed us without even a hello which didn't go down well with our senior member lol. I took after him and passed him at the dump before pulling in to the school to wait on the lads. Yer man was not impressed when he came by me for the 2nd time when i stopped :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I’m sorry but, no this is absolutely NOT the government’s fault. If someone does this it’s their fault nobody else’s.

Hmmm. You look at France and Spain - domestic waste disposal is covered by (tax). You look at European countries where, once a month, you can leave furniture, washing machines or whatever out for collection. I know this goes contrary to the 'polluter pays' principal, but there's a lot less litter and I am not aware of fly-tipping of domestic waste as a phenomenon.

When you incentivise people to act badly (by making them pay to act well), then you will get people to act badly. Not everyone, but enough that you get what we see every time we cycle. When you couple that with general Irish lack of respect for the environment (litter, farm waste/silage wrapping, fishing waste on beaches...), you get the distressing mess we are all familiar with.

I don't fly tip myself. I can see Don't Chute and others will say 'if people don't misbehave...'. That's true. But it doesn't work, because we are paying people to misbehave, by charging them specifically for rubbish collection. If rubbish collection was free (included in tax), and/or there were dumpsters/superbins easily available, then there would be no incincentive to fly tip, or 'have a man take this stuff away'. The government can change this.

Anyway, back to cycling. The nephew (14) wanted to get his first 100k in, so uncle B was drafted in. Looking at weather and what not, and with a willing mother/sister with a car, we drove down to Wexford on Saturday morning, then hit the road for N Wicklow (100 k away).

Plenty of tailwind, which was great, and a fair bit of damp weather - jacket on, jacket off, jacket on... Lots of small little towns (Ferns [coffee], Camolin, Coolgreany [coke] Craanford, Hollyfort, Woodenbridge, Avoca, Rathdrum), lots of small little hills (plus a steep hoor just N of Hollyfort!). Some nice quiet backroads enjoyed by all.

4.5 hours including a couple of short stops. The young lad was most impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

brownian wrote: »
    Hmmm. You look at France and Spain - domestic waste disposal is covered by (tax). You look at European countries where, once a month, you can leave furniture, washing machines or whatever out for collection. I know this goes contrary to the 'polluter pays' principal, but there's a lot less litter and I am not aware of fly-tipping of domestic waste as a phenomenon.

When you incentivise people to act badly (by making them pay to act well), then you will get people to act badly. Not everyone, but enough that you get what we see every time we cycle. When you couple that with general Irish lack of respect for the environment (litter, farm waste/silage wrapping, fishing waste on beaches...), you get the distressing mess we are all familiar with.

I don't fly tip myself. I can see Don't Chute and others will say 'if people don't misbehave...'. That's true. But it doesn't work, because we are paying people to misbehave, by charging them specifically for rubbish collection. If rubbish collection was free (included in tax), and/or there were dumpsters/superbins easily available, then there would be no incincentive to fly tip, or 'have a man take this stuff away'. The government can change this.
    Paddy gets caught fly-tipping: it’s the gubbermint wot made me do it.
    Paddy gets caught speeding: it’s the gubbermints fault for having speed cameras everywhere.
    The vast majority of **** you see on the roadside is just someone opening their window and throwing something out. That has nothing to do with money or incentives it’s just scumbag behavior. In Ireland it’s ALWAYS somebody else’s fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rubbish collection used to be included in taxes. PEople still threw shte on the side of the road. It's a people problem, not a tax problem or anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

70k on a 3k stretch of road, in a small island in the middle of the Atlantic

https://youtu.be/GAXaHbOoy9g

https://strava.app.link/3AJvnZDrd9

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

puddles22 wrote: »
    70k on a 3k stretch of road, in a small island in the middle of the Atlantic

https://youtu.be/GAXaHbOoy9g

https://strava.app.link/3AJvnZDrd9

Was holding my breath there until the collision avoidance kicked in.

Somebody go and steal the KOM :D

ED E wrote: »

Somebody go and steal the KOM :D

its the only KOM i'll ever hold lol

Paddy gets caught fly-tipping: it’s the gubbermint wot made me do it.
    Paddy gets caught speeding: it’s the gubbermints fault for having speed cameras everywhere.
    The vast majority of **** you see on the roadside is just someone opening their window and throwing something out. That has nothing to do with money or incentives it’s just scumbag behavior. In Ireland it’s ALWAYS somebody else’s fault.

No, sorry. What I am talking about is fly-tipping. Speed cameras do not incentivise you to speed?

Throwing stuff out of windows is indefensible and reprehensible, and totally the fault of the person doing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

puddles22 wrote: »
    its the only KOM i'll ever hold lol

Cram: How about we get away for a family holiday to somewhere remote?
    Partner: Like where?
    Cram: I don't know, let me have a look around..... Tory Island looks amazing, quiet, remote, peaceful. We could go out for a day trip as we go around Donegal.
    Partner: Sounds lovely.

Many month later, they arrive on Tory Island:
    Partner: This is lovely, great to get some time alone together.
    Cram: Hold my stuff, I'll be back in 20 minutes or I won't be coming back at all, there is someone on the internet I really want to annoy.
    Partner: You f****r

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Partner: This is lovely, great to get some time alone together.
    Cram: Hold my stuff, I'll be back in 20 minutes or I won't be coming back at all, there is someone on the internet I really want to annoy.
    Partner: You f****r

Bring it on , i know i'm not that fast but i know the winds are like up here , ill repeat it in midwinter storm with tailwind just single laps lol , ill be literally flying it lol won't even have to pedal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Coming out of Allenwood a lad passed us without even a hello which didn't go down well with our senior member lol. I took after him and passed him at the dump before pulling in to the school to wait on the lads. Yer man was not impressed when he came by me for the 2nd time when i stopped :p.

hope you gave him a sarcastic "Hello" as he passed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice video puddles :)

Looks like a different country to the weather in Dublin lately.

fryup wrote: »
    hope you gave him a sarcastic "Hello" as he passed

Waited till i was right behind him and shouted car down lol

Spin with 1 other club member as were not allowed across the border to Wuhan (Edenderry). Lovely evening for it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3969886035

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Left the house this morning around 10.30 but while I was geared up properly on top, I had neglected to put the overshoes on. 63km of which the last 20 or so were squelchy. Otherwise very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went out twice today to make up for not managing to get out over the last few days.
    Did just over 50km this morning and just over 60 this evening.

Loads of close passing this evening. For some reason the road that passes Bodenstown repeatedly seems to be worst stretch for it.

Unlike rushfan, I remembered my overshoes but with the rain this evening, they didn't make a difference. My feet were soaked. Had to drive the young fella to and from hurling training this evening so Sat in the car watching Children of Men whilst the car's fan blew dry my shoes :)

https://strava.app.link/WM4gtVuFi9
    https://strava.app.link/lltK99sFi9

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a148pro wrote: »
    ....second time i've been stuck cycling along beside running water while parched, it's torture....
    :confused: Why not use the water?

There could be anything including dead animals upstream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Jobst Brandt he's not. He famously rode without water bottles

Not hard to find water in countryside; graveyards, churches, gaa grounds, livestock fields etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Refill.ie will show you cyclist friendly places you can refill bidons

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There could be anything including dead animals upstream
    There could but why go through life thinking like that? If I was very hungry, I wouldn't pass a cafe/coffee shop because of the possibility that I could get food poisoning.

XQZ3w0Rh.jpg

Nice wee spin round Donegal today, headwind for most of it. 520k for the month my most yet, fitness getting there slowly but surely.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/mpSfqigRl9

120km club spin today around the poisoned lands of Kildare (me and four others).
    Dunno what's in the water but stound Nurney we were treated to several punishment passes, a lot of horn blaring and a driver angrily shouting something out his passenger window - none of us knew what he said but we all caught the word "ditch" (we were doing about a 30km/h average around there).

https://strava.app.link/J6GWDNC4l9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

120km club spin today around the poisoned lands of Kildare (me and four others).
    Dunno what's in the water but stound Nurney we were treated to several punishment passes, a lot of horn blaring and a driver angrily shouting something out his passenger window - none of us knew what he said but we all caught the word "ditch" (we were doing about a 30km/h average around there).

https://strava.app.link/J6GWDNC4l9

Maybe he was saying the wife was an awful b!tch for making him go out for some milk ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Been off the bike for the best part of 2 weeks now between storms and being laid low by a nasty bout of some gastric bug last week. Took an early leisurely 31km loop to get the legs moving again this morning. Lovely morning, but a bit of a nip in the air though, so was glad to have dug out my Mistral and wouldn't have minded having a pair of long fingered gloves

getting stronger. only been cycling properly for the past three months

https://www.strava.com/activities/3995090098

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Here we go again... can't access latest posts...only loads up to yesterday.
    PI T H .. keeps happening and only on this particular thread :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

welcome drop in humidity out there; pleasant evening if a bit windier than expected. naul to roganstown was more of a slog than normal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3997267944

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

To the Mods: does anyone else have difficulty with this thread, for me it regularly gets "stuck " i can see that there are new posts but when i open it, its stuck on day old posts ??
    Now it opened fully ?????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement