Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Light Rail [route options idenfication and initial design underway]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The word luas has no links to Dublin so I don't see what the issue is. Once the system is applied beyond Dublin, the association with Dublin will quickly fade. Personally, I like the name, it is short, simple and became part of the vocabulary very quickly, that's good marketing. I like that it is an Irish word. I think not calling the same system in Cork Luas just because the first Luas lines were in Dublin would be very petty.

The association has nothing to do with Dublin though. It's what Irish people do. During Euro 2016 I heard Irish people calling the Bordeaux tram the Luas. Irish people refer foreign police as guards. We have a habit of referring to things by a name we know. That's not a reason to call the Cork tram Luas though.

If it gets its own name, it will be known by that name very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is it definitely going to be light rail ? Not brt like the Belfast glider ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The association has nothing to do with Dublin though. It's what Irish people do. During Euro 2016 I heard Irish people calling the Bordeaux tram the Luas. Irish people refer foreign police as guards. We have a habit of referring to things by a name we know. That's not a reason to call the Cork tram Luas though.

While that may not be a reason to call it Luas, it's also not a reason to not call it Luas. The success of it and that it is well known and generally liked are reasons to call it Luas.

Surely that contradicts what you said before!? Give it a different name but people will keep calling it Luas anyway, better off just officially naming it Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Luas is not geographically significant. It just so happens that it's services are only in Dublin. It's like arguing that German cities should not use the U-Bahn term, outside of Berlin.

Just imagine the situation, a German tourist gets the Luas to Heuston, and gets the train to Kent Station, and they've heard from German friends that there is a Strassenbahn in Cork too. They ask a local "Could you tell me where the nearest Luas stop is?", and the local looks confused, and responds "You mean the iarnród sráide?". The tourist doesn't have a clue what is going on, and asks "Is it a tram?". The local replies "Yes, its our name for the Luas network that Dublin has."

What an absurd situation we'd find countless people in - there is nothing wrong with standardisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not a reason to not call it luas either.
    all you keep saying is this and that is no reason to call the cork light rail luas, yet you have provided absolutely nothing to show why it shouldn't be called luas.
    even if it was to get it's own name, in all likelyhood people on the ground will still call it luas, unless it ends up being a completely different varient of light rail.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would think that Irish people are calling trams in other countries Luas means that there is an acceptance of it as our word for tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is it definitely going to be light rail ? Not brt like the Belfast glider ...

I'm sure it'll get floated about at some point as an option. Speaking of which, how is the Belfast Glider faring anyway? Haven't really heard so much about it. Is there talk about expanding that service does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

AngryLips wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll get floated about at some point as an option. Speaking of which, how is the Belfast Glider faring anyway? Haven't really heard so much about it. Is there talk about expanding that service does anyone know?

from what i hear it has increased usage compared to the previous bus service.
    i haven't heard of any expansion plans for it but perhapse there are plans.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

from what i hear it has increased usage compared to the previous bus service.
    i haven't heard of any expansion plans for it but perhapse there are plans.

The next phase of Glider is proposed to be South-North from Cairnshill Park and Ride on the Saintfield road up to either the Antrim or Shore Road (Which of those it runs up may end up a political football...)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Im happy we are at the stage of light rail plans where instead of arguing over whether it will be built or not we are arguing over what it will be called ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

salmocab wrote: »
    I would think that Irish people are calling trams in other countries Luas means that there is an acceptance of it as our word for tram.

The Irish for tram is "tram" ;)

D.L.R. wrote: »

Not what I was getting at, there is an acceptance of luas as our word for tram. People are using the word in the same way as bus or train. DART is much the same In Dublin people say I’m getting the DART. People get the bus/train/dart/luas to work. I rarely if ever heard people say I’m getting the arrow/imp to work as sometimes the branded name takes over. A bit like hoover for vacuum cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

There's a difference between DART and LUAS though - as well as the obvious one! :)

DART - Dublin Area Rapid Transit

LUAS - the Irish for speed

So, IMO, DART would not be acceptable for Cork - CART anyone? ;-)

LUAS means speed in 'Munster Irish' too - I have no problem with it...

Just get the damned thing built!!

blindsider wrote: »
    There's a difference between DART and LUAS though - as well as the obvious one! :)

DART - Dublin Area Rapid Transit

LUAS - the Irish for speed

So, IMO, DART would not be acceptable for Cork - CART anyone? ;-)

LUAS means speed in 'Munster Irish' too - I have no problem with it...

Just get the damned thing built!!

I know Dart wouldn’t be acceptable I was just getting at the acceptance of words. Luas works well I’d be surprised if it’s a much the same system if it wasn’t branded the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I couldn't care less what they call it. They can call it after Bernie Murphy if they like. By the way where is it planned to go to do we know ?

If they go for the same infrastructure/trams etc as the Luas just call it the Luas.

Luas is now synonymous with tram in Dublin. Calling it something stupid like the Cluas is just ridiculous because if memory serves, it means ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

D.L.R. wrote: »

The DUTC called them iomchar.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

They could call it CART

I'm taking the CART into town ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the name calling (I think Luas is good enough for the moment, and the likely choice). The CART joke has been made several times.

Can posters get the thread back on track, so to speak, and get to discuss the route that will be likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

From CMATS we're broadly looking at Ballincollig to Mahon Point taking in CIT / Bishopstown / CUH / Western Road / UCC / Washington Street / Pana / Kent / Docklands / PUC / Blackrock / Mahon. Lots of big employment and residential areas along the route. It'll be interesting to see how it will be routed in and around the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The obvious route from the docklands to Mahon is the old railway line, but is it optimum? The Cork-Passage railway was built to service the compact population centres in Blackrock, and Passage, but today we're looking for a route that services a planned high-density docklands, away from the river a pretty much uniform population spread as far as the Mahon Estuary, and high-density offices at Mahon Point.

When the railway was originally built people were happy to walk a decent distance to their local station, they had few alternatives. Today if we want people to use the service it's going to have to be easily accessible to as many people as possible, otherwise they'll just drive. The docklands would probably be fine, the tram would run right through the centre of it, but continuing down the marina there's a lot of dead ground in terms of proximity to housing, river on one side and Atlantic Pond/overgrowth on the other. The next real overlap with a population is at Blackrock Station which isn't the most accessible. Then the line goes through pretty much the only bit of scrubland on the East side of the city (skimming the back of a few estates, maybe not the best potential for a stop?) until ending up at the far end of the Mahon Point area, down quite a distance from the road, and nowhere near the shopping centre.

I wonder would a better route take a diversion down Monahan road, go the other side of Atlantic Pond, through the grounds of Dundanian, join the Blackrock Road and through Blackrock Village like the original trams, through the convent grounds and out the back of Eden (parallel to the old line below), turn left along Skehard Road and right through Ballinure through the waste ground that joins St Michael's drive and into the Mahon Point area more centrally that way.

Probably impractical with the amount of CPOs and running along Blackrock Road would be a no-go.

Anyway, just my thoughts... Forgive the crude drawing.

522811.jpg

I reckon the temptation of a pre-existing rail corridor is both too tempting for them to pass up, and probably the key reason why Luas rather than QBC/Glider as a solution is proposed, but fair play for giving a bit of thought to what would actually be the most effective route

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I reckon the temptation of a pre-existing rail corridor is both too tempting for them to pass up, and probably the key reason why Luas rather than QBC/Glider as a solution is proposed, but fair play for giving a bit of thought to what would actually be the most effective route

But is there not an element of 'build it and they will come' to this.

Currently much of Cork is low rise, but the Luas would give an impetus for high rise developments served by the new Luas. It needs to be routed by trip generators.

There should be yes Sam, just wondering if that will be how its viewed by the development team, the difference between "Whats the best route we can build" and "Whats the best route we can afford"

I sincerely hope we see a good look at a few different routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can someone tell me why they would consider The Chizler's route above when the old rail bed is right beside it and makes it more accessible for people to the west of the line?

Meandering lines should always be avoided where possible especially when they add little in the way of population and trip generators as this would.

I agree that going south of PUC would be preferable and maybe linking up with the old bed at the Blackrock Road junction would be better than being slavish to the old line.

Can someone tell me why they would consider The Chizler's route above when the old rail bed is right beside it and makes it more accessible for people to the west of the line?

Meandering lines should always be avoided where possible especially when they add little in the way of population and trip generators as this would.

I agree that going south of PUC would be preferable and maybe linking up with the old bed at the Blackrock Road junction would be better than being slavish to the old line.

From looking at that map I'd say turning at the Blackrock road junction, then coming off at St Michaels Drive to end up in the same spot as The Chizlers route would probably give you the best of both worlds, direct sections on a clear line, but reaching the trip generator at the end of the line and not being divorced from where people live by running along the bit between PUC and the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There should be yes Sam, just wondering if that will be how its viewed by the development team, the difference between "Whats the best route we can build" and "Whats the best route we can afford"

I sincerely hope we see a good look at a few different routes.

That's exactly my thinking, I'm just hoping other routes are looked at, and if the line is chosen it's because it's the right choice, not because it's the obvious or easy route. A lot of people say the line is a no brainer, but I sincerely hope someone is paid to use their brain when designing something of such significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

salmocab wrote: »
    Not what I was getting at, there is an acceptance of luas as our word for tram. People are using the word in the same way as bus or train. DART is much the same In Dublin people say I’m getting the DART. People get the bus/train/dart/luas to work. I rarely if ever heard people say I’m getting the arrow/imp to work as sometimes the branded name takes over. A bit like hoover for vacuum cleaner.

I use tram personally but please yourself.

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's exactly my thinking, I'm just hoping other routes are looked at, and if the line is chosen it's because it's the right choice, not because it's the obvious or easy route. A lot of people say the line is a no brainer, but I sincerely hope someone is paid to use their brain when designing something of such significance.

I’ve no local knowledge but I use the green line in Dublin regularly and it went on the easy route. It’s not quite the same but I’d say there’s a balance between using the easy route and getting the route to the optimum places and densities of people.
    The green line uses for the most part an old railway cut and whilst some of the areas it serves mightn’t have the highest densities It has the advantage of not having much interaction with traffic for that section.
    All this is said based on me admitting I haven’t a clue what’s the best route for a city I don’t live in though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I suppose the question if they should turn into Mahon Point Shopping Center or not, would hinge on if they might have in the back of their minds, the idea of extending it in future, across the The Black Bridge and then into the green fields West of Passage West, opening them up to high density development similar to Cherrywood SDZ.

I suppose you could do both by splitting the lines or cross the River at a different location.

Advertisement