Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mattie, Pat Shortts followup to Killinaskully. I think Pat himself would rather forget that one. Even the crowd who lapped up Killanaskully didn't take to it. It was then retconned as Sgt Mattie and managed to be even worse.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1880641/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

The Irish rm.
    Does anyone remember that.
    Neil toibin was in it.

I recorded this on TG4 which are showing it at the moment- i thought i'd be in for a treat having watched it as a kid but totally forgot what the acting/dialogue was like.

OMG, painful is not the word- a real "Oirish" programme- embarrassing is not the word- needless to say, it's well deleted from my playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

"Elephant Boy follows shortly" anyone remember that?

A German-Australian-Scottish-Sri Lankan coproduction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjm0iDf_J1M

Anyone remember its even more obscure ITV stablemate, Ski-Boy...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23lnt0Sgg5o

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

"Elephant Boy follows shortly" anyone remember that?

Fantastic theme music....god that brings me back to my childhood...watched it many a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mr T animated series. Always at the end there would be a live action bit where he'd have a "message" for kids. The only one I can remember was "don't be a fool, go to school!"

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember this old RTE music show, TX? I can't anything online about it, other than there was an RTE show in the late 90's with the same title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My neighbour (born mid 60s) used to watch TX
    It pre-dated Anything Goes which started in September 1980 and also had Dave Heffernan doing a rock show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Does anyone remember Trans world sport? It used to show really obscure sports from around the world.

It would probably describe something else if that name was used today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Trans world sport? It used to show really obscure sports from around the world.

I do.was on the cable link on a Saturday morning.skying and other weird sports on it and the division 3 soccer league from Botswana.
    I liked that show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Spellbinder - parallel universe accessed by a schoolkid through the Australian bush.

Under the Mountain - creepy New Zealand programme about twins trying to stop shape-shifting monsters from conquering the Earth. Probably too scary for today's children's television.

Moondial

Children of the Stones - really unsettling

Earthfasts - time travelling and magic in the Yorkshire Dales

Eerie, Indiana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Used to love transworld sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Spellbinder - parallel universe accessed by a schoolkid through the Australian bush.

Under the Mountain - creepy New Zealand programme about twins trying to stop shape-shifting monsters from conquering the Earth. Probably too scary for today's children's television.

Moondial

Children of the Stones - really unsettling

Earthfasts - time travelling and magic in the Yorkshire Dales

Eerie, Indiana

I do remember watching Children of the Stones in the 1970s. I don`t remember the others you mentioned.

Island Of The Great Yellow Ox. Had forgotten about this till someone mentioned it in a thread on AH. I know I saw it but memory of it is very hazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Island Of The Great Yellow Ox. Had forgotten about this till someone mentioned it in a thread on AH. I know I saw it but memory of it is very hazy.

I remember reading the book along with Macken's "Flight of the Doves" as a child, didn't know there had been a tv adaptation.

Did you see it in 1971 or 1981?
    Anything Goes repeated it over three Saturdays for the latter.
    Great production.

Did you see it in 1971 or 1981?
    Anything Goes repeated it over three Saturdays for the latter.
    Great production.

Would have been 81.

Has Black Forest Clinic been mentioned? German medical soap which RTE showed late 80s. Appaling dubbing.

Has Black Forest Clinic been mentioned? German medical soap which RTE showed late 80s. Appaling dubbing.

RTE2 midweek filler mid 80s
    Some laugh

Remember a very shorted lived music talent show Gerry Ryan hosted circa 1998? It was filmed in Belfast (City Hall i think)so presumably RTE/UTV Co production. There was this trio of black female singers who did something between the acts. Not singing entire songs just going "ooooooh" or something linking the acts. They seemed to be there for no good reason other than black people were still considered exotic on Irish tv at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Remember a very shorted lived music talent show Gerry Ryan hosted circa 1998? It was filmed in Belfast (City Hall i think)so presumably RTE/UTV Co production. There was this trio of black female singers who did something between the acts. Not singing entire songs just going "ooooooh" or something linking the acts. They seemed to be there for no good reason other than black people were still considered exotic on Irish tv at the time.

For some reason I remember Gerry Ryan boasting on the radio after that show that he had used the gym in the hotel in Belfast every day, and lecturing everyone that there was no excuse not to keep fit no matter how busy you might be. What an inspiration he was if you ignore the Class A Drugs.

Samantha Mumba was a contestant on it, this isn't her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I recorded this on TG4 which are showing it at the moment- i thought i'd be in for a treat having watched it as a kid but totally forgot what the acting/dialogue was like.

OMG, painful is not the word- a real "Oirish" programme- embarrassing is not the word- needless to say, it's well deleted from my playlist.

Liked it

fryup wrote: »
    what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks

Think I know what it was now. Finding Fax Future. There's a clip on YouTube but can't link as on phone.

The Truth About Claire, a drama_documentary shown on RTE in 1990 about a woman going to England for an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

You're A Star had a similar trio of female singers too.
    Who'd just go, "Oooh-whooo-oooh-whooo, ooh-whooo-hooo, you're a star!" every time before an act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Edge of Darkness BBC drama

https://youtu.be/2bfPS7p6Z1k

Hardcastle and McCormick

https://youtu.be/_oHpWw7L3d4

beauf wrote: »
    Edge of Darkness BBC drama

https://youtu.be/2bfPS7p6Z1k

A teacher of mine at the time gave out about that because it featured "firing shotguns into fellows faces" as he put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

beauf wrote: »

Ah, I loved that show. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement