Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

vektarman wrote: »
    I heard this choo choo tune recently and it reminded me of one of my favourite programmes.

Always remember it being on either the same time (different days) or just after the Lone Ranger

Found a video for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Rob Brydon did a series on ITV in 2004 called 'Directors Commentary' which I thought was very funny but it seemed to be forgotten as soon as it was broadcast

It was a pisstake of DVD Directors Commentaries, he does made up Commmentaries on old TV shows in the voice of Peter De Lane

DVDs are pretty much gone now so it was a pisstake of a genre that disappeared soon afterwards. The DVD of Directors Commentary has a Directors Commentary on the show, naturally !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_Commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Plenty commentaries on Blu-ray Discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Here's one I liked but I'd imagine a lot wouldn't remember
    The Haunting of Cassie Palmer. Early 80s.

I named a cat after one of the characters.

Here's one I liked but I'd imagine a lot wouldn't remember
    The Haunting of Cassie Palmer. Early 80s.

I named a cat after one of the characters.

A rare one. Only off-air VHS copies survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Making The Cut, RTE crime series with Sean McGinley that was shown in 1998 or 99. The setting was a bit vague, it was an Irish city that wasn't Dublin or Cork but not sure if it was specified where exactly it was. Could have been Galway or Waterford. It came back for a second series under the name DDU

RTE Guide feature on MTC, it was first shown October 97

75030167_2586330158261925_5042339593173598208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQlirY-ewiqVL5tVfkg77bT4pW107p3UCtDAJaQYubBGO89mDccLaQ9L9_HH7wKpGW8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=4a3b532f2a6b156d48eff110ecf1923d&oe=5E65406A

74487510_2586330308261910_6898416453238652928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQlwKUKm4H9VievHC8W6-jFQLT4wrd_LdExD5h8vlJT-jn83DM1IjLJZvuZBDFUxi-M&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=35545948112103d1edef03ef52d8b837&oe=5E1834CB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think that I'll ever be able to see Sean McGinley as anyone but Charlo. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think that I'll ever be able to see Sean McGinley as anyone but Charlo. :pac:

In my case, the priest from The Field

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Chocky (1984-85)

UK series about a 12 year old boy, Matthew, who befriends an alien presence via ESP who all his family and friends except for a girl believes is only in his imagination.

There was a Canadian mini series which RTE showed at a kind of odd slot circa 1990/91. Maybe early on a Sunday morning? Odd because I remember it had liberal use of the F bomb and some adult themes. I can't remember what it was called but it wasn't Degrassi Junior High. All I can recall was that it was set in a small town and focused on a group of Inuit or Red Indian teenagers, a group of them drowned when they drunkenly drove a car on a frozen lake and it went through the ice.

It wasn't Conspiracy Of Silence either (TV movie from 1991) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Zzzappp! A magazine show on citv in the 90s. Was a little surreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

There was a Canadian mini series which RTE showed at a kind of odd slot circa 1990/91. Maybe early on a Sunday morning? Odd because I remember it had liberal use of the F bomb and some adult themes. I can't remember what it was called but it wasn't Degrassi Junior High. All I can recall was that it was set in a small town and focused on a group of Inuit or Red Indian teenagers, a group of them drowned when they drunkenly drove a car on a frozen lake and it went through the ice.

It wasn't Conspiracy Of Silence either (TV movie from 1991) .
    North of 60?
    Spirit Bay?
    FOUR Directions?

North of 60?
    Spirit Bay?
    FOUR Directions?

Looked up those and it doesn't seem to fit. It wasn't a comedy anyhow. It was pretty dark in tone. There was a focus on racial tension between white and native teens. There was a white liberal mountie who tried to go to the funeral of the drowned kids but a group of older native men wouldn't let him in. Can't remember too much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

The BBC Genome project is a great resource for tracking down old BBC programmes you might remember.

One that I can recall vividly is a documentary series called "The British Empire"
    which ran on BBC1 in the early 70's.

Lest you think it was a series that commemorated the glories of empire,it was actually quite the opposite. One scene recreated involved a punishment carried out by the army in India (possibly, my memory of the location is vague) where a miscreant was tied to the front of a field gun and dispatched.

To say it didn't go down well with certain sections of British society is an understatement, questions in parliament, etc.

Finbars class

This isn't a series I remember but a couple of years ago I was half watching an interview on the telly with Colm Meany and a black and white clip was shown of him in some RTE drama that looked like it dated from the early 70's. In it he was breaking into a car and had a kind of teddy boy image, I missed the name of it. does it ring a bell with anyone?

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Anyone remember The Burke Enigma?

Can't find any clips online
    My abiding memory of the final episode is good guy being crushed between a lorry and a wall after being asked to check the lights ...
    Half-remembered minutes of one episode - and then being told to go to bed.

Late '70s. Don't think it's ever been repeated. Ideal for Network DVD to release if RTE would surrender the rights as they clearly have no interest in their archive.

RTE Guide piece on the Burke enigma, November 78. Would I be right in guessing that the Burkes were based on the Dunnes (Of Larry Dunne etc infamy)?

73164329_2600632160165058_1992273348217798656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQmIlIg63b2DB9aqDTyD3REH1lWQHJsyaBsrpuGsmSxOcL_FZ6Bk75nul2uSq5trP5g&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=b8ff39740a2b2b1e5758225727945aa6&oe=5E169B6A

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

cml387 wrote: »
    One that I can recall vividly is a documentary series called "The British Empire"
    which ran on BBC1 in the early 70's.

Not to be confused with The Brittas Empire, also worthy of a mention in this thread
    81YCPvu2DGL._SY445_.jpg

Anyone remember The Templewood Murder Mystery? It was a sort of cheapo whodunnit that was ran as a segment on the Late Late Show for a few weeks circa 94/95. I think maybe there was some sort of audience participation where viewers could try to figure out who the killer was and phone in. Jonathan Ryan did a straight to camera introduction on every "episode" giving his best (or worst) Orson Welles impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

The Burke Enigma also explored the association of political parties and organised crime.

It was shot on film with high production values and must still exist in the archives.

It's never been shown since.

• Advertisement

The Burke Enigma also explored the association of political parties and organised crime.

It was shot on film with high production values and must still exist in the archives.

What a waste. RTE would rather it rotted in their archives rather than selling the rights to Network / Simply DVD to release.

There's a very short clip from it on this 2002 RTE documentary so it exists all right.

There's a very short clip from it on this 2002 RTE documentary so it exists all right.

I taped quite a few bits from that RTE Forty Years set of broadcasts.

Here's my upload of A Week In The Life Of Martin Cluxton, directed by Brian Mac Lochlainn who also directed The Burke Enigma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but does anyone remember The Spike, a late 1970s RTE produced series set in an Irish secondary school. It was taken off the air after half its run due to protests about its content and has never been rebroadcast since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

“In Like Flynn” was fantastic.
    Really broke up the week, was glued to it every Tuesday night for the three or four years it was on.
    No shortage of leading lady talent and the theme tune was great. One of rte’s better imports in the 80’s!

The Fatheads, a comedy Paul Tylak and Joe Rooney did on Network 2 in the early 90's (91 or 92). I only caught a bit of one episode. They had these kind of exaggerated teddy boy type quiffs. I can't remember much about it but I think they were living together in a house or flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Foxtrotter

Little before my time, but I really like some of the old episodes of What's My Line. some really funny ones on Youtube.

Does anyone remember Sexton Blake And The Demon God? BBC series shown on RTE in 1979. No footage online alas.

517KtDN00uL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Doing a retro tournament at the minute if anyone is interested. Might bring back some memories

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058029255/1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Sanford and Son

Barney Miller

All in the Family

Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

Are my top 4.

Advertisement