Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

I never got to fly with captains that had god complexes. 99% of them are sound and you have a great laugh through the day and can go for beers on a day off with them. I know a guy who flew in Asia and the FO was told "gear up, flaps up, shut up". So in some places the captains do think they are gods but crew resource management stopped that in Europe at least. That's not to say the FO doesn't have respect for captains. They have more hours/experience usually (I know some FOs from RAF/Italian airforce etc who have thousands of hours) and at the end of the day it is their signature and decision unless it's completely daft then you respect it.

Most dangerous situation I was ever in. Nothing in a jet yet thank god. In a single piston I flew into a thunderstorm that nearly ripped the plane apart. Don't go near storms is imprinted in my soul now.

The Hudson incident was impressive. I'm not sure that the flying was anything special but the decision making to go for the Hudson was brilliant. No hesitation just decide and that alone is great in my book. Lots of luck in missing bridges etc. Great because it gets people to stop listening to Ryanair bull about only needing 1 pilot/ only bus drivers etc.

Another incident I think is impressive is the 777 that crash landed in Heathrow years ago. If the pilot hadn't raised the flaps to a lesser degree they wouldn't have made the airport boundary and might have hit some houses. That might not sound impressive but imagine working for 30/40 years with nothing ever really bad happening and then you have 5 seconds to make the correct decision. Brilliant bit of flying imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jessiesmom

please can i ask you 2 questions, i have a 10 yr old who loves flying and knows the majority of aircraft and always wanted to know, do you have windscreen wipers in the cockpit and also do the plane start with a button or a key !!!!!! you will make me so happy if i have an answer for her !!!:) :) we went with onur air to turkey last year and she was speaking a little turkish with the air crew and the captain but was too shy to ask to see inside the cockpit but i dont think your allowed to do that anymore?? when we landed the captain gave her a model airplane and a pilot teddy, she was well chuffed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

jessiesmom wrote: »
    please can i ask you 2 questions, i have a 10 yr old who loves flying and knows the majority of aircraft and always wanted to know, do you have windscreen wipers in the cockpit and also do the plane start with a button or a key !!!!!! you will make me so happy if i have an answer for her !!!:) :) we went with onur air to turkey last year and she was speaking a little turkish with the air crew and the captain but was too shy to ask to see inside the cockpit but i dont think your allowed to do that anymore?? when we landed the captain gave her a model airplane and a pilot teddy, she was well chuffed :)

Great questions! Yes, most modern airliners have wipers, we use them at takeoff and landing in heavy rain but modern aircraft also have hydrophobic windows which repel the water and they work very well.

Small planes I've flown start with a key or button, just like a car. Big ones I've flown start with a switch to suck air through the engine in order to get it turning, then we have another switch to introduce the fuel and ignition source, the rest happens automatically as long as all else is normal. Happy landings!

ATPL 744 16,000 hrs.

Next time you're flying jessiesmom ask the cabin crew when you're on the ground and they'll let you see the flightdeck. We get people in every day taking pictures while on the ground. Young and old. It's great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Do some pilots fly the same route day in day out or do they hop around, say, Europe till they get home? And could they be on this schedule for week/months?

I've listened to air traffic control a few times and it can be bloody tough to understand in parts. Any funny stories from that? Do all controllers use English at major airports around the world or how does it work?

To be captain do you have to grow a moustache? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Accidently put this link in the wrong the wrong thread:

http://www.askcaptainlim.com/

All your flying/wannabe questions and queries answered

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Lustrum wrote: »

What's the most spectacular or hardest place you've ever had to fly in to?

Madeira because the wind changes direction about 2 miles out at a a point called Rosario due to a valley....we reported a 15 knot loss to the tower and he just said "1st time into Madeira?"
    I've listened to air traffic control a few times and it can be bloody tough to understand in parts. Any funny stories from that? Do all controllers use English at major airports around the world or how does it work?

We're all like that to start but you get your ear into it. To be honest you know 90% or so of what he will say!

When I was flying into Logan in the late 90s there was a lotta chop on the approach and we got a little to high and fast so I called "Shamrock 133 heavy going around" the controller responded "Negative Shamrock Heavey Piper arrow in airfield vicinity" to which I replied "Negative Shamrock 133 Heavy is going around". There was a bit of a kangaroo court case at Logan ATC after that. You cannot do anything without a clearance to do it, but you DO NOT have to accept one if you feel it unsafe! I made a command decision, I would not risk the 200+ people on board so some guy in his arrow could avoid a few bumps.
    What's the most dangerous situation you've found yourself in and how did you react to it?

Oil pressure to the number 3 engine on Big Ed(747) was at 0(it read zero) we shud the engine down and kept going on 3 and it turned out to be a faulty gauge...however had the oil pressure actually been 0 and we didnt shut down the engine would have torn itself apart and the wing with it and we'd have been fish food.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Is there a particular airport that you enjoy flying into? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

I've recently decided to embark on a career as a commercial pilot and have a few questions regarding choosing the right school. Just a bit of background on myself i've just completed an engineering degree and have hons leaving cert maths and physics managed to do a couple of lessons to get a feel for things. I've applied to the el and ba cadetships but if i'm not successful there i'l have to do it myself.

Ultimately does the school you attend affect your job opportunities? Or is there some schools that could be recommended other then oxford or jerez? I was looking into atlantic air in cork as an alternative because of the potential savings on the training cost. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause i'm getting a bit bogged down with all the information out there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

darraghw wrote: »
    I've recently decided to embark on a career as a commercial pilot and have a few questions regarding choosing the right school. Just a bit of background on myself i've just completed an engineering degree and have hons leaving cert maths and physics managed to do a couple of lessons to get a feel for things. I've applied to the el and ba cadetships but if i'm not successful there i'l have to do it myself.

Ultimately does the school you attend affect your job opportunities? Or is there some schools that could be recommended other then oxford or jerez? I was looking into atlantic air in cork as an alternative because of the potential savings on the training cost. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause i'm getting a bit bogged down with all the information out there.

Thanks.

The way the market is now go for atlantic or NFC. You have some dosh and the job oppertunities are the same. It's all FR, RE and Cityjet for newly fATPLed young pilots these days. Aer Lingus will usually take the bulk of DE candidates from other airlines then it seems

• Advertisement

We fly different sectors everyday. So today I flew to Toulouse. Tomorrow I might fly to Milan etc.

I used to enjoy flying into Moscow because you never know what to expect. Now I love flying into Dubrovnik and Nice because the visual approaches can be fun and amazing scenery.

If I was starting training again I would go to CTC or Oxford. Expensive but them guys seem to walk into jobs. If you go another way it can take time. I was unemployed for 2 years after training so that's why I think that but others have different opinions so it's what looks good to you at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When ya do long haul how many day (s) off do ya get on the other side??

An old school friend of mine used to be a trolley dolley and when he flew to West Coast U.S.A he had 2/3 days off all expenses paid, does this still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

XWB wrote: »
    Oil pressure to the number 3 engine on Big Ed(747) was at 0(it read zero) we shud the engine down and kept going on 3 and it turned out to be a faulty gauge...however had the oil pressure actually been 0 and we didnt shut down the engine would have torn itself apart and the wing with it and we'd have been fish food.

Just on this, how often are instruments faulty or give different readings for pilot and co-pilot? And actually, what do you say to the passengers when something like the above happens?

I'm also interested in the comparisons between flight schools, I have a cousin who was in Jerez and he's doing well for himself anyway.

A big thank you to XWB and Priority Right and all other pilots answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Then you do base training. 6 touch and go's in an empty plane. That's good fun and not near as daunting as some people think. First day of line training happens soon after. Depends on the airline how many hours. For BMI it was 75 hours. For current airline as we were experienced it was 20. That's flying with passengers on regular routes except the captain is a trainer and keeps a big big lookout for everything you do. Ends in a linecheck where you have to prove you can fly with regular captains and deal with the things that happen every day.

So at which point do you get your type rating? Do you get it once you've completed your linecheck or do you get it after base training... or something?
    I'm confused because I know some people will pay for a type rating without a job offer. So does this mean that after all the training in the sim etc, they won't actually get the rating until they get a job flying that aircraft type?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Too any pilots who were flying then, what was it like in the days after 9/11 (topical, I know)? Was anyone in that airspace at the time?

I'm guessing it was sombre, eery as to what the future might bring to the industry etc.

nag wrote: »
    So at which point do you get your type rating? Do you get it once you've completed your linecheck or do you get it after base training... or something?
    I'm confused because I know some people will pay for a type rating without a job offer. So does this mean that after all the training in the sim etc, they won't actually get the rating until they get a job flying that aircraft type?

Once you finish your simulator and do the base training then you have your type rating. Line training happens with your company and has nothing to do with the license. But base training only happens with first type rating. So if I moved to a330 I wouldn't have to do that part again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

XWB wrote: »
    When I was flying into Logan in the late 90s there was a lotta chop on the approach and we got a little to high and fast so I called "Shamrock 133 heavy going around" the controller responded "Negative Shamrock Heavey Piper arrow in airfield vicinity" to which I replied "Negative Shamrock 133 Heavy is going around". There was a bit of a kangaroo court case at Logan ATC after that. You cannot do anything without a clearance to do it, but you DO NOT have to accept one if you feel it unsafe! I made a command decision, I would not risk the 200+ people on board so some guy in his arrow could avoid a few bumps.

I understand that you had to go around, but how did you know the piper was not going to be in the way? Just curious

By the way thanks for your contribution so far, it makes very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

What is the furthest away from final that you are allowed to turn off the autopilot if youre visual and in the mood to hand fly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

One big question I think all people who would love to become a pilot want to know is how much Maths is involved in training and how much do you use when flying ?

Also do you's ever need to use stuff like trigonometry & geometry and all that malarkey which make people fail there leaving cert maths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

pclancy wrote: »
    What is the furthest away from final that you are allowed to turn off the autopilot if youre visual and in the mood to hand fly?

As soon as you leave RVSM airspace.

• Advertisement

One big question I think all people who would love to become a pilot want to know is how much Maths is involved in training and how much do you use when flying ?

Also do you's ever need to use stuff like trigonometry & geometry and all that malarkey which make people fail there leaving cert maths ?

I'm useless at maths. All through school everyone nagged me about having to do honors maths to be a pilot. I didn't. I'm still useless at maths but can do the calculations needed for flying easy enough. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you can add and multiply rapidly in your head and keep a few very simple solutions in your head then you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Multiplying by .8 for fuel is common am i correct???
    Also if was to get an interview for cadetship would i be expected to demonstrate greater technical knowledge of an airbus as im currently a conehead???? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Maths? Rubbish at it. Never really affected me at all. Other than to make the Navigation General exam at tad harder than it should be. :(

But a good grounding at maths is always a good thing for pilots especially during training.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

scudzilla wrote: »
    When ya do long haul how many day (s) off do ya get on the other side??

An old school friend of mine used to be a trolley dolley and when he flew to West Coast U.S.A he had 2/3 days off all expenses paid, does this still happen?
    That would depend on the destination I assume. Length of flights, time zone change and indeed airline schedule would affect how long you stay.

And term all expenses paid is a bit suggestive. If a company sends you away from home they are responsible for your accommodation and providing you with money to buy food.

Not like the govt ministers charging haircuts and souvenirs to the expense account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JOHNEO

concerning health, apart from having a class 1 and regular checkups, we all know pilots are generally healthy individuals, energetic, self-motivated etc.
    but are there days when, like most, you just feel off, perhaps have a headache from missings a meal, or are tired, perhaps have the snuffles, a cough....do you fly anyway. Does flying in the early days take some getting used to (aside from a hectic rythm). As a pax it can wear you out a bit - is it the same with pilots? If you do get sick is it just the self-motivation and excitement that carries you through ?
    thanks
    johneo

• Registered Users Posts: 30 787Dreamliner

xflyer, im interested to know what type of flying you do?? you said in an earlyer post that your not an airline pilot, are you bizjet or something.??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Really interesting to read this. I have a couple of questions if someone can answer:

On takeoff: how common is it with "tail strike" or close calls and can this occur without passengers noticing it?

In flight: How far can a plane safely "drop" when it hits an air pocket?

On landing: Especially when flying in to Ireland where you have a lot of wind / crosswinds (subjectively, in my experience) when the plane comes in for landing and corrections are made up left wing up right wing (for want of a better description), what is the closest the wings-tips are to the ground or what are the tolerances?

And finally If this makes sense, what is the most technically challenging part of the daily routine (i.e. in preparation or flight)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

As soon as you leave RVSM airspace.

So is that the legal requirement but then company SOPs might advise only below 10000ft when VFR or when stabilised on approach etc? I've always wondered was the pilot flying allowed to knock off the ap and enjoy flying it to the ground.

Edit: Glad people are enjoying this thread, nearly 3,000 views in only three days! Cheers.

JOHNEO wrote: »
    concerning health
    If it's anyways bad I never fly. Being in a flightdeck feeling poor is hell. If you need the toilet you have to ask the cabin crew to make sure it's safe. So it's not like you can just dash to it if you have a dodgy stomach/something else. It really isn't worth flying when sick. The company doesn't want you too either.
    swe_fi wrote: »
    Really interesting to read this. I have a couple of questions if someone can answer:

On takeoff: how common is it with "tail strike" or close calls and can this occur without passengers noticing it?

In flight: How far can a plane safely "drop" when it hits an air pocket?

On landing: Especially when flying in to Ireland where you have a lot of wind / crosswinds (subjectively, in my experience) when the plane comes in for landing and corrections are made up left wing up right wing (for want of a better description), what is the closest the wings-tips are to the ground or what are the tolerances?

And finally If this makes sense, what is the most technically challenging part of the daily routine (i.e. in preparation or flight)?

Tail strikes are infrequent. They do happen though. A lot of the time the passengers and the pilots might not know about it. But they will get a warning from systems if plane doesn't pressurize itself.

The tolerances vary wildly depends on the plane. On the airbus we can have around 11ft clearance wingtip to ground and that's alot to play with. On a 747 it's only 4ft. Hence why we can use a bit of wingdown method whereas if you see 747's land in crosswind they usually land sideways into wind and when the wheels are on the ground kick it straight.

I think getting a perfect profile in decent so it's continuous and you're on idle power for as long as possible then intercepting the glide without leveling off is a nice challenge. In Heathrow it's easy in France or Italy it can be challenging as controllers aren't as good.
    pclancy wrote: »
    So is that the legal requirement but then company SOPs might advise only below 10000ft when VFR or when stabilised on approach etc? I've always wondered was the pilot flying allowed to knock off the ap and enjoy flying it to the ground.

At or below FL290 we are allowed to disconnect in my company. Most leave it in until near the ILS though as it's mostly just flying in straight lines otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

xflyer, im interested to know what type of flying you do?? you said in an earlyer post that your not an airline pilot, are you bizjet or something.??:)

Aerial work is what I will say, at the moment. The reason is that I might as well put up my picture and name and address if I was less vague. It's OK when you're part of a big corps of pilots but when you're part of a small group it would be a giveaway. I've had my boss ask me to pull a post on another forum where it was clear who I was. Don't want him looking over my shoulder.

Advertisement