Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

XWB wrote: »
    The way the market is now go for atlantic or NFC. You have some dosh and the job oppertunities are the same. It's all FR, RE and Cityjet for newly fATPLed young pilots these days. Aer Lingus will usually take the bulk of DE candidates from other airlines then it seems

Hi just in relation to this how do the irish schools compare compared to the more established schools such as oxford or jerez? I know theres a saving of about 25,000 to be made which would basically cover a type rating so it seems mad to pass it up when you're getting the same licence when finished but would you be at a disadvantage when applying for a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Graduates of the Irish schools are working successfully in airlines all over the place side by side with OAA and FTE pilots. That would imply they're comparable. The only time not having done an integrated course with with either OAA or FTE is a disadvantage is when you're applying to Aer Lingus as an inexperienced DE. With experience that goes.

It's worth suggesting that if EI are taking cadets they are probably less likely now to consider low timers straight out of flight school no matter where they trained. Just a thought, I have no inside info.

The best chance of a job is with Ryanair, most Irish pilots end up there. That will always be the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Lustrum

What's the chances of spending a day in the jumpseat with one of you and getting a chance to see what I'll hopefully be doing as soon as possible?

Or has 9/11 completely ruined that for me

Or has 9/11 completely ruined that for me
    Yes, the first time you get a jumpseat ride will be when you are working for the airline.

xflyer wrote: »
    Yes, the first time you get a jumpseat ride will be when you are working for the airline.

It's a pity there isn't a "No Thanks" button :D

• Advertisement

Sorry about that, there isn't even any flexibility. A pilot was fired for allowing someone on the jumpseat. It used to be one of the great experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

How is it the likes of WorldAirRoutes are able to make their cockpit DVDs? Exceptions must be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Just to clarify, are you saying that you were never too far away from land to glide there in the event of an all engines out situation?

Sorry I must clarify my statement! I did not mean glide to land..I mean glide to a suitable distance from land that you would not all float there freezing to death in the middle of the deep blue. I should have made that clearer...I apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Woudl you use autopilot for a TCAS climb warning when in a cruise or take manual control?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

pclancy wrote: »
    Woudl you use autopilot for a TCAS climb warning when in a cruise or take manual control?

At any stage of flight, for a TCAS RA we take manual control. The only aircraft I know of where the pilots do not disconnect the autopilot is the A380

Towards the end of the page there is a description of the system on the A380 by David Learmount.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/learmount/2009/06/the-a380-shows-off-airbus-clev.html

• Advertisement

Sorry I must clarify my statement! I did not mean glide to land..I mean glide to a suitable distance from land that you would not all float there freezing to death in the middle of the deep blue. I should have made that clearer...I apologise!

That still makes no sense to me.
    In the North Atlantic, the difference between 500 miles from shore and 200 miles from shore is negligible. ETOPS does not consider the failure of both engines and the gliding distance to a suitable ditching point. With 180 minute ETOPS, a double, independent engine failure at the equidistant point is going to mean the aircraft has absolutely no chance of gliding to a suitable distance from land where you won't freeze to death....if you survive the impact.

APM wrote: »
    That still makes no sense to me.
    In the North Atlantic, the difference between 500 miles from shore and 200 miles from shore is negligible. ETOPS does not consider the failure of both engines and the gliding distance to a suitable ditching point. With 180 minute ETOPS, a double, independent engine failure at the equidistant point is going to mean the aircraft has absolutely no chance of gliding to a suitable distance from land where you won't freeze to death....if you survive the impact.

Well in the old days we were vectored closer to land for exactly that purpose(so as not to be too far away if anything went wrong).

Company SOP of thumb as of late is that the Icelandic/Canadian/RNLI/USCG can cover up to 300-450nm off their coast in quick enough time to prevent freezing to death (provided people are not floating exposed to any harsh elements). You dont have to be standing on the wing waving to shore!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

Ha Ha yeah right.

Vectored by who?

Out of interest whats Aer Lingus radio set up on a crossing? and what "did"/do u guys put into the transponder.

Just interested in EIs sops thats why Im asking.
    Do they have to maintain a constant listening watch or can u log on?

boeingboy wrote: »
    Ha Ha yeah right.

Vectored by who?

Out of interest whats Aer Lingus radio set up on a crossing? and what "did"/do u guys put into the transponder.

Just interested in EIs sops thats why Im asking.
    Do they have to maintain a constant listening watch or can u log on?

For someone claiming to fly TA you show a strange lack of knowledge of the basic operational procedures. You seem well up on the book aspects but very little on the actual practical aspects.

If you dont know what a vector is then you are not a pilot simple as...you flight plan offers your vectors point to point and in the days of yore when we all were not as connected you stayed closer to land to offer the oppertunity to ditch if possible closer. Now you can radio it in and modern cutters will be out to you within hours.

All I can get from what you say is that you ask deliberate hazy or vauge questions to make it seem like you are the only one who knows.
    Radio set up..contact with atlantic control, position report, estimated crossing time to reporting point given, they respond with earliest report crossing "X" and they give you a check in/status report time.

Transponder is set to flight plan squak or whatever ATC give you to put in. Generally if interrogator is lost they ask you to report position when indication is given.

If you all sat down to do your ATPLs again, how do you think you'd get on?

Lustrum wrote: »
    If you all sat down to do your ATPLs again, how do you think you'd get on?

Badly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Its awesome having a little pink floyd on low in the background as you fly,

Presumably not "Learning to Fly" or "The Great Gig in the Sky"..... ;-)

So eh, which one is it? As XWB pointed out my ATPL books say you select 2000 when entering the NATS airspace - but then again the ATPL books say a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.

Or is there a chance that different companies have different procedures when flying transatlantic?

PS Sorry for some backseat modding but this thread has been a great source of info on life as a pilot for those of us who are aspiring for it, it would be great if it stayed that way rather than turning into a bitch-fest similar to some of the AL cadetship thread. Thanks for input from all pilots too by the way (have to keep ye sweet :D )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So eh, which one is it? As XWB pointed out my ATPL books say you select 2000 when entering the NATS airspace - but then again the ATPL books say a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.

Or is there a chance that different companies have different procedures when flying transatlantic?
    I'm with this point, different companies may well have different SOP's.....in addition posting company SOP's may not be the wisest decision. (Depends on the company definition of 'confidential' I suppose)

Tenger wrote: »
    I'm with this point, different companies may well have different SOP's.....in addition posting company SOP's may not be the wisest decision. (Depends on the company definition of 'confidential' I suppose)

You are set a squak with your flight plan when you get your clearance. You bang that in and set off. When you contact atlantic control they may well ask you to change the squak. The JAA use 2000 for the ATPLs as it is a default squak. But let me put it this way...if you fly EIWT - EINN with a flight plan your squak wont be 7000, as they will give you a squak...but if they didnt for some reason you'd keep 7000....but that is unlikely!

The ATPLs generally set a number of consistant examples so that the actual concept can be consistantly hung on that specific example. I think for POF Oxford use an aircraft at 150kts in level flight to demonstrate banking stalls, induced drag and so on. But in reality you dont cruise at 150kts...it's just an example.

• Advertisement

You are set a squak with your flight plan when you get your clearance. You bang that in and set off. When you contact atlantic control they may well ask you to change the squak. The JAA use 2000 for the ATPLs as it is a default squak. But let me put it this way...if you fly EIWT - EINN with a flight plan your squak wont be 7000, as they will give you a squak...but if they didnt for some reason you'd keep 7000....but that is unlikely!

You were asked about the squawk you set when flying the North Atlantic. Did you not say you flew the A330 for Aer Lingus. If so you would know the procedure which has been in use for many many years if not decades. This is reality, and has been reality for a long time!

From the North Atlantic MNPSA Operations Manual

OPERATION OF TRANSPONDERS
    6.7.1 Unless otherwise directed by ATC, pilots of aircraft equipped with SSR transponders flying in the NAT FIRs will operate transponders continuously in Mode A/C Code 2000, except that the last assigned code will be retained for a period of 30 min after entry into NAT airspace. Pilots should note that it is important to change from the last assigned domestic code to the Mode A/C Code 2000 since the original domestic code may not be recognised by the subsequent Domestic Radar Service on exit from the oceanic airspace. It should be noted that this procedure does not affect the use of the special purpose codes (7500, 7600 and 7700) in cases of unlawful interference, radio failure or emergency. However, given the current heightened security environment crews must exercise CAUTION when selecting Codes not to inadvertently cycle through any of these special purpose codes and thereby possibly initiate the launching of an interception.

How did you not know this if you flew for Aer Lingus is beyond me

Well this is interesting, somewhat surprising. As a pilot, (I would say that;)). I pride myself on spotting a Walt. I went back through the thread and I have to say that if XWB is a Walt, then he's good, very good. Too good actually because he clearly isn't a fake.

Which leaves Boeingboy, fake or no? Well with only ten posts and a certain ambiguity about who he flies for and XWBs points. There exists the possibility that he is a Microsoft Captain. But it would be odd for a pixel pilot to try and out another. Too risky.

I can understand vagueness. I practice it too because I would be outed immediately if I was more clear. Nevertheless a couple of boarders figured me out straightaway.

So I suggest an exchange of PMs lads. Establish your credentials to your mutual satisfaction.

You can laugh about it later. I was accused of being a spotter on PPRuNe once. I can laugh now, well a wry smile...........In fact it still rankles.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

xflyer wrote: »
    ....... As a pilot, (I would say that;)). I pride myself on spotting a Walt. I went back through the thread and I have to say that if XWB is a Walt, then he's good, very good. Too good actually because he clearly isn't a fake......
    Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I have received lots of pms about this so took my time in opening. This thread was doing great until the age-old credentials debate came up again. "I'm a pilot, prove you are" or "no way that procedure is wrong". Seen it so many times now, I've been reading this forum for a long time and since day one it has often popped up. Regular posters have come and gone but there's a general knowladge of who's who much like regulars at a bar and sometimes the pilot norm seems disrupted and everyone wants to know who each other is.

What I much rather enjoy is talk about Aviation and other more important things in life then who you think you or the pixel pilots are. Sure some might respond that have read their answers from textbooks or their own interpretation of a fact but such is life on an internet forum.

What I asked for this thread was that commercial pilots reply to questions that are written by anyone else. I asked for type rating and hours to be posted as well, perhaps it should be with each post. It lends some credability. If you think Pilot X is actually not real then by all means do as Xflyer suggests and yarn via PM, the purpose of this thread is a forum for non-pilots to pick your brains and learn about your lifestyle.

We could go on for pages questionning who's who but at the end of the day lets just get on with the subject at hand. Take the identity stuff to the world of private messaging. We know if people have dual accounts.

I'll repost the origonal post, lets please get back on track I was enjoying the read here folks

This thread is for people who are interested in a commercial career in flying to ask a qualified commercial pilot questions about their daily lives, technical/system questions, career guidance, licencing, how best to become an airline pilot etc

Over time it will become full of good nuggets of information and serve as a good reference point for people wanting a career in the flight deck.

It is not intended for general discussion, general aviation or PPL questions, chit-chat, discussion of sensitive hr/corporate airline information or anything that could break the A&A forum charter.

Asking Questions: Please only post if you are asking or answering a question so as to keep it nice and tidy. commercial pilots are requested to include their licence type, relevant rating held and hours in their response ie ATPL(F), 738, 500. I don't expect you to divulge your airline or personal details but at least it might serve as some proof to your credentials

We'll see how it goes and sticky if its busy enough.

Ok, to get back on topic, here's a question, stolen from my favourite aviation magazine, PC Pilot.....only joking Aeroplane Monthly.

Can you think of a moment when you looked from the cockpit and thought. 'This is it, this is what flying is all about?'

I can think of a couple. Skimming the top of a layer of cloud that looked almost like solid ground painted orange and red by the setting sun being one. Another was flying high over Sligo Bay on a bright spring day after a harsh winter. The bright blue water water contrasting with the brown land and snow on the hills made it look anywhere but lreland.

Although there's a lot of automation on modern aircraft, what are the essentials that you have on you or in your flight case when you step into the cockpit?

Also, for wannabes looking for their first job (and also if you guys are applying for a new job) what level of technical knowledge is expected of you in your interview? Is it an understanding of how the onboard systems work, or do you really need to know what the ratio arm in a machmeter does??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

Although there's a lot of automation on modern aircraft, what are the essentials that you have on you or in your flight case when you step into the cockpit?

Also, for wannabes looking for their first job (and also if you guys are applying for a new job) what level of technical knowledge is expected of you in your interview? Is it an understanding of how the onboard systems work, or do you really need to know what the ratio arm in a machmeter does??

License, passport, torch, logbook, spare glasses, sun glasses, hi-viz and pens. In winter I'll have our winter ops manual and some other cheat sheets to save me looking something up for ages in the manuals etc. That's about it really no need for much more.

First job. I'd be able to identify different types of aircraft visually. I've been asked that before. General weather, principles of flying, and the systems of the aircraft you currently fly whether it be a C152 or a A320.

License, passport, torch, logbook, spare glasses, sun glasses, hi-viz and pens. In winter I'll have our winter ops manual and some other cheat sheets to save me looking something up for ages in the manuals etc. That's about it really no need for much more.

First job. I'd be able to identify different types of aircraft visually. I've been asked that before. General weather, principles of flying, and the systems of the aircraft you currently fly whether it be a C152 or a A320.

Are the ops manuals kept in the cockpits all the time? As in where do you get the emergency checklists when you have to shut down an engine?

What about weather reports, SIDs and STARs, maps etc or is all that taken care of in the navigation equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

Are the ops manuals kept in the cockpits all the time? As in where do you get the emergency checklists when you have to shut down an engine?

What about weather reports, SIDs and STARs, maps etc or is all that taken care of in the navigation equipment?

We have the manuals on laptops. Other airlines have them in big binders and that weigh alot. I think Emirates took out all their binders and replaced with laptops and saved 25kg per aircraft. But that could be a wrong it's just something I heard.

Emergency checklists are in your head mostly. Like for engine shutdown it's a memory item. The checklists for emergencys are found in a QRH (quick reference handbook) which has a checklists for emergencys in them but most have actions you do before referencing them.

Weather we get every morning with flight plans. All the plates are kept in the cockpit. One set for each person. They should read the same as what's in the planes systems and there is a plate for every airport that appears on the navigation screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement