Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options
1110111112113114116»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

These questions are coming from just my job background in automation / process logic while knowing next to nothing about the cockpit of an airplane.

What defines the direction of an automated turn after receiving instructions to turn in a FBW? I'm down to thinking it's the direction the heading knob is turned before selection but I'm probably wrong.

What defines the turn radius of a FBW? Have the pilot the ability to input min/max radius or is it left to the computer to calculate physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

When flying with AP on the direction of the turn defined by the direction that the heading knob is turned.

Turn radius will depend on airspeed, the aircraft will attempt to turn at "rate 1" which is 3 degrees per second as this is standard in instrument flying but will respect bank angle limits which differ according to phase of flight and speed. In general an a320 won't exceed 25 degrees angle of bank under AP but the limit is much lower when slow or close to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Such an interesting thread!

My question is how do pilots generally fund their training? My son wants to be a pilot and we live close to NFC which would be great but my god, the cost...!

Do people get loans or how do they work it? We're happy to help him get ppl for 12k (which we'd have to borrow), after that we will have to go back to the drawing board!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Most do a mixture of working in order to save and borrowing money. Banks may lend depending on the business case. Make sure he does a class 1 medical before spending the money, without this it's money down the drain.

It is possible to hour build and do it via the self improver route (getting PPL and then flying as you can afford it) and do a module in an approved flying school but it can take longer and some airlines prefer the all in one route.

Make sure he is aware of the high demands of training, course work and disruptive nature of aviation hours. It is not just about whizzing an aircraft around the sky. Getting a licence does not equal getting a job which can take a lot longer if market conditions are poor. Having said that it's still a good career.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

On a Ryanair flight into Kerry yesterday evening and the landing was as hard and rough as anything I ever experienced even though the weather conditions were relatively good.

The landing was uncomfortable enough but then the plane felt like it skidded on the runway seconds after there was shouts and screams from quite a few passengers onboard.

So wondering is this down to pilot inexperience or other factors at play?

Overall I find Ryanair quite good to fly with but the above landing was very unpleasant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience but it happens.

Landing is not an exact science and the variables are constantly changing. Even for the most experienced pilots bring smooth is not a given and often not desirable.

Kerry is on the short side for a B737-8, the aircraft needs to be main wheels on within a smallish touch down zone or it's a mandatory go around (which would probably alarm even more people but it's safe and required). Silky smooth landings are not a priority here.

The 737-8/9/Maxes all land with the tail fairly close to the ground (about 3-4° of pitch attitude more before contact with the runway). This means you have less scope for softening the landing with a little more flare.

You did not skid. Large aircraft have powerful anti skid devices and have had for 70 years (where do you think the car ones came from?) The aircraft probably had some drift on (still pointed a few degrees into wind), this would have reduced to 0 as the wheels touch which is what you felt. Unpleasant but not unsafe. Hope that clears it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AspiringToBe

Hi folks!

I am about to take the plunge and invest in an integrated ATPL course here in Ireland. I am based in Dublin. I've visited both schools (AFTA/NFC) and done intro flights and had good chats with chief instructors. I am 41 - so I know I need to get my ass in gear and get through the various stages asap and get out to the jobs market. Starting out, I really don't mind what airline I work for but there are some things that are weighing on my mind and I'm hoping to hear from someone within the industry that might give an unbiased opinion on my options/questions!

Which school is better or perhaps asking "which school has the better reputation" within the aviation industry in Ireland?

AFTA (Sims are 737 series only) have a very attractive (but more expensive) mentored Ryanair program which guarantees an interview with the airline upon completion of the course (interviews/assessments etc take place before you're accepted to the Ryanair program). This is an attractive option for me considering my age. But honestly speaking, I would ideally love to eventually get into Aer Lingus which would provide exposure/potential for long haul - and AFTA told me that AL has recently taken on pilots from their academy - so they seem to have a goo reputation with the airlines

National Flight Centre (NFC) (Sims are older but can convert to 737/a320 asfaik) - while they don't have a formal relationship with Ryanair - they say that you can pay extra and complete the Ryanair mentored APS/MCC at the relatively new Airline Flight Academy in Santry. A big plus for NFC is that I would save on accommodation costs vs AFTA where they will help in providing accommodation but it will cost around €600 per month (over 18 months that's €10k!)

So, while it is a personal decision, I would be interested in hearing some responses, opinions from experienced pilots or industry insiders!

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

You’d probably be better posting your questions on Pprune to be honest. Been in the same dilemma as you though, both places are sending pilots to airlines to be fair and for me, NFC is on the doorstep of Dublin, AFTA would involve leaving wife and kids all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

First off, are you as a 42/43 year new qualified potential second officer willing to be based at 4/5 different bases within 2 years of working with Ryanair? That’s the reality of the situation. Sure, Dublin might be an option but with 80+ bases, you maybe in North Africa where they 1/2 aircraft. You could be settled somewhere for 6 months with apartment, car, life, potential partner and be told at the end of the current roster you are being moved from X to Y.

Also, it’s not that they don’t take on the “older” guys but there is many advantages to recruiting a fresh faced 22 year old versus a street smart 42/43 year old with opinions, attitudes, life experience, etc.

Aer Lingus is a different ballgame although the age does go against you again. They are not known for taking on older “new” pilots in favour of guys your ages with 3/4000 hours already qualified on type.

The best that you could hope for is someone like Emerald or another smaller commuter airline that are always looking for crew but after sinking €100k+ into training, taking a €35k a year job is depressing.

BUT, the first big thing, do you have a class 1 medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry if it's being asked already but looking at some of the impressive landings last week during the storm some would wonder if perhaps some structural damage occured, is there a report mechanism based on sensors on the aircraft for a particular rough landing that would trigger an inspection or would the flight crew report possible rougher than normal landings that would trigger an inspection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The aircraft will register a "hard landing" and it will be checked out.

The landings over the last week are "within limits".

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭General Disarray

Airbus types will automatically register a hard landing.

Boeing types, at least the 777, don't. It's based on pilot assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

A321 Neo TAP Airlines. What crew compliment do they operate under..

2 cockpit & 4 cabin crew

Or

2 cockpit & 5 cabin crew

Can't find the answer anywhere. Strange question but I'm having a debate with my friend 🤪

Thanks for the response. I do indeed have my Class 1! And yes, I understand the implications too… my main aim will be to get in the air. So whether that’s accepting a job outside Ireland, being lucky enough to get into Ryanair (eyes wide open on bases etc).

I spoke to a couple of people in the industry - the consensus seems to be that both schools are well respected. Both have sent pilots to Aer Lingus, Ryanair and Emerald (amongst other airlines). I also saw an announcement from NFC stating that 100% of their most resent recruits have been employed.

So on that note I have decided to go NFC! Thanks for the responses, I hope to be back here some day qualified. And with luck and hard work hopefully employed too!!

Thanks for the response. I’ve chatted to some people in the Industry and like you say both schools seem to be sending pilots to airlines, which is great.

I have decided to go NFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes it is a very interesting thread. I'm just SLF 😉 so unless I have a question about a flight I was on, I'll keep an eye with great interest.

*BREAKING NEWS* Company that is charging €80k plus for training says that all their students have gotten jobs in the industry!!!!! Dont believe everything you hear.

I must get in contact with with the graduates that I know that went through there in the last couple of years to say well done on getting a flying job! :)

This is not to say that NFC is not a great school. It would be one of the best and some of the instructors there are lifers and have been training pilots for a very long time. But with that, take it with a pinch of salt.

Before you actually commit ask yourself this question. Are you willing to work in another job for upwards of 2 years AFTER training? It is rare that you will walk out of training and walk into an airline. You may have to work on the ground, in check-in, catering or somewhere airline related to get to know people and maybe get your CV on the right desk at the right time. AND finally, if and when you do get a look into Ryanair, do you have a spare €30k to pay for the type rating?

I looked at the whole thing, and looking back on it now, I was 'lucky' I failed my Class 1 medical!

Good luck with the journey!

Yeah - I know what you mean regarding the info coming from the schools - they are private enterprises after all, so I get that they are selling their product. But having met with both of them and speaking to their MDs and Chief Instructors - there isn't much more I can do!

I have seen some people who have gotten jobs post training in various areas of the industry - and I am definitely prepared to do that. I don't think I mentioned in my original post, but I am very happy to get out of my corporate desk job and get into the industry that genuinely excites me and piques my interest. I have the money at my back and I don't have any dependents so the risk is all my own.. and I am willing to bet on myself!!

What area do you work- it seems like you've got lots of exposure to the recruitment/placement process?

I work indirectly in the business. Got my PPL about 20 years ago and I was happy with that. Then got an itch about 5 years and looked into in great detail with people I trust to call it as they see it. As I said I failed my class 1 so that ended that itch fairly rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Hello all. I really enjoy looking at the posts here so thanks for all the info. I have a couple of questions. We are heading to New Zealand in April - flying via San Francisco. The flight from SF to Auckland is 13 hours. I'm wondering how many crew would operate that flight? And how does it work - 5 hours on - five hours off etc? Secondly, we take off from SF on the 12th at 10.30 at night and arrive in NZ at 7am on the 14th. Will that flight be completely in darkness? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question- I can't quite get my head around it!

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

All depends on the airline and aircraft, but presuming it’s either a 777 or 787 you’re looking at 8-10 crew members, depends on the airline really! It’ll be bright when landing in AKL that time of year but other than that the flight will be in darkness yeah. Helps with the sleep haha

Advertisement