Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lads, I re-watched the 2002 Armagh game on TG4 last Sunday, and for a fella who'd have a good memory of the Dublin team from that era, I can't for the life of me recall John McNally who started full-forward that day.

Where did he end up after? Name completely escaped me.
    Was at the game and watched it back last Sunday myself. To be honest i dont remember too much about him myself. Think he was from Ballinteer or Brigids.

Jayus, that has me completely caught out. Don't remember a John McNally at all.

Doesn't, even jog a memory.

But you appear to be correct as Johnny McNally is listed as a former intercounty player on the balinteer gaa website.

https://www.ballinteerstjohns.com/inter-county-players

Won a Leinster in 2002 it says, and played until 2004.

He was still described as a 'Dublin panelist' in 2005

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eqdTk20JqtAJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/parnells-make-the-perfect-start-1.444682+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Also played Masters football (over 40's) for Dublin in 2018

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nJqZnfrbx9MJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-on-verge-of-making-history-in-masters-football-final-1.3623238+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Was looking to see if I could find the 2002 Leinster Final

But found the 2002 AI football QF (draw game clip)

The bit that made me laugh @00.27

"Darren Magee gives it long"

"Ray Cosgrove, John McNally is to his left"

(McNally waiting for the ball to be passed to him - Cossi just ploughed forward on his own and buried it :D)

I was thinking to myself that it is no wonder I don't remember, the poor fecker!
    Also I read somewhere that Pat Spillane said of that Dublin team that they had no forwards, and Cosgrove masked the deficiencies and carried the team.
    I suppose he was right!

More Edits: I looked at the scorers list from the AI QF (draw game) for Dublin.

R Cosgrove 2-2, C Whelan 0-1, S Ryan 0-1,
    S Connell 0-1, A Brogan 0-1, J McNally 0-1, D Magee 0-1.

McNally did get a point in fairness so he contributed to the draw, in fairness. But Jayus, no one scored more than one point except Cossi!

Only four points from the rest of the forwards combined:

Senan Connell, Dessie Farrell, Shane Ryan;

Alan Brogan, John McNally, Ray Cosgrove.

Looks like my idea of Dessie never having a bad game, has being well and truly shattered.

Going to watch the 02 SF now v Armagh (skip the last bit)

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/armagh-vs-dublin-2002-433376

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Back when the Leinster football championship was a lot more enjoyable :D

Senan Connell actually done alright in the Armagh game. Darren Magee seemed to be taken out of it with a box to the back of the head, but Johnny was a bit of a liability at centre-back.

And on the other side, Stevie McDonnell wasn't too stellar considering his high reputation around then (Christie did well on him) but Geezer was just immense. Never seen such a magnetic display in terms of mopping up ball.

How many from that era would get on the current team though (aside from the links between the two obviously)? Paddy Christie and Whelan surely the only ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The bit at the start of the video Marty mentioning Cluxton celebrating his 21st birthday part of this new Dublin team :pac:. Jesus time fly's!

I remember being a teenager meself and the day of the replay i had to go to the hospital and get my head checked out cause was out knacker drinking night before and got into a fight haha. Couldn't get out of the doctors quick enough to get home and watch the match :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

John mcnally did play for balinteer st John's. I think his sister angie mcnally played for the dublin ladies team.

I remember just before the 02 leinster final he lost his job as an electrician and Tommy lyons made a big deal of it after the game that he plays in front of a sell out crowd in croker and he had to sign on the dole the next day.

During that week he was inundated with job offers.

John mcnally did play for balinteer st John's. I think his sister angie mcnally played for the dublin ladies team.

I remember just before the 02 leinster final he lost his job as an electrician and Tommy lyons made a big deal of it after the game that he plays in front of a sell out crowd in croker and he had to sign on the dole the next day.

During that week he was inundated with job offers.

I vaguely remember a redundancy thing now that you mention that aspect. Tommy was mad for an angle in those days to hype up Dublin.
    Not much use when I couldn't remember his name though!

You are right about Angie McNally she is listed on the Balinteer website under former inter-county players. That name I did recognize straight away. And remember she was a tank of player who used to just bulldoze through light small players, or any players! Probably the star dublin player around that time?

• Advertisement

Yeah, she would have been quite high profile for a ladies player back then.

You're right, she was a bulldozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Darren Magee seemed to be taken out of it with a box to the back of the head, .

Darren Homan?

I was in Upper Hogan and a pile of them caught Darren with sly digs on way down the tunnel at half time and he'd been dirty joed a few times before that. He was one Dublin player they knew would stand up to them when it got nasty.

Never liked them. Delighted when Fermanagh beat them in 2003 and had them well backed at 3/1 or some mad odds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Darren Homan?

I was in Upper Hogan and a pile of them caught Darren with sly digs on way down the tunnel at half time and he'd been dirty joed a few times before that. He was one Dublin player they knew would stand up to them when it got nasty.

Never liked them. Delighted when Fermanagh beat them in 2003 and had them well backed at 3/1 or some mad odds :)

No it was Magee who went off hurt. Camera panned to him on the bench wrapped in bandages. Homan came on for him and was primed like a prized fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

No it was Magee who went off hurt. Camera panned to him on the bench wrapped in bandages. Homan came on for him and was primed like a prized fighter.

Was that 2002? Darren Magee got a eye injury in that game and replaced by Homan. Magee had been playing well up to the injury.

Gael85 wrote:
    Was that 2002? Darren Magee got a eye injury in that game and replaced by Homan. Magee had been playing well up to the injury.

IIRC Homan was taken out of it in the 2003 qualifier v armagh by paddy mckeever who scored armagh's goal in the 2002 semi.

Homan was having a great game up to that but had to go off injured a few mins later.

Can't remember if mckeever got away with it or not.

• Advertisement

This day 19 years ago the great Stephen Cluxton made his Dublin debut in Leinster championship against Longford in Croke Park in 2001. In the same game Jim Gavin came off the bench in what would be his last championship appearance in Croke Park as a Dublin player. Jim featured off the bench against Wexford in Dr Cullen Park Carlow the following year. Stephen has made a record breaking 106 championship appearances. He has also played a further 104 league games making league debut against Donegal in February 02.

Stephen Cluxtons honours
    7 All Irelands(Captain for 6 AI titles)
    5 National Leagues
    15 Leinsters
    1 Leinster minor
    1 Leinster u21
    1 Sigerson Cup
    Footballer of the Year
    6 All Stars
    106 championship appearances
    48 championship points
    60 championship clean sheets
    Captain Ireland in International Rules

6 all stars.

Didn't get one in 2016. That went to a keeper who was dropped for the all ireland final replay.

Didn't get one in 2018. That went to a keeper who had a brain fart in the last minute of the all Ireland semi final and cost his team the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

1 footballer of the year. One.

Just one.

This Cluxton fella is a cod, a bengal lancer.

Gael85 wrote: »
    This day 19 years ago the great Stephen Cluxton made his Dublin debut in Leinster championship against Longford in Croke Park in 2001. In the same game Jim Gavin came off the bench in what would be his last championship appearance in Croke Park as a Dublin player. Jim featured off the bench against Wexford in Dr Cullen Park Carlow the following year. Stephen has made a record breaking 106 championship appearances. He has also played a further 104 league games making league debut against Donegal in February 02.

Stephen Cluxtons honours
    7 All Irelands(Captain for 6 AI titles)
    5 National Leagues
    15 Leinsters
    1 Leinster minor
    1 Leinster u21
    1 Sigerson Cup
    Footballer of the Year
    6 All Stars
    106 championship appearances
    48 championship points
    60 championship clean sheets
    Captain Ireland in International Rules

I watched the AI football Semi Final 2002 Dublin v Armagh again (against my better judgement) Plus I noticed cluxton played it short on at least one occasion, and sometimes found his man from kicking medium to the side of the pitch. Commentators made no remark on it. The genesis was there. Obviously it was rare most were lamped down the middle.

But what I would love to know was Cluxton taking frees for Parnell's early on in his club career? Or did it it only happen with Dublin when he was in his late 20's?
    That free Cossi missed was very easy.
    The media probably would have went into meltdown if Cluxton went taking frees as a 20 year old novice keeper in the early 00's. Shane 'Cake' Curran from Roscommon was probably the only one mad enough to think of it back then.

I would also like to know why Cluxton started taking frees and would it have been Gilroy that put him on them or did he just do it off his own bat?

The irony is cluxton does not take any frees for Dublin anymore. I suppose he is well down the pecking order. I wont mention the sending off in 2003 v Armagh in that qualifier. I suppose I can forgive him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

6 all stars.

Didn't get one in 2016. That went to a keeper who was dropped for the all ireland final replay.

Didn't get one in 2018. That went to a keeper who had a brain fart in the last minute of the all Ireland semi final and cost his team the match.

Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Slattsy wrote: »
    Says it all.

I'd imagine he still looks at his medal collection and ponders on what might have been...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd imagine he still looks at his medal collection and ponders on what might have been...

Heard the only reason he's staying on is to win more All Stars.

Slattsy wrote:
    Heard the only reason he's staying on is to win more All Stars.

No chance.

Not a patch on rob hennelly!!!

I watched the AI football Semi Final 2002 Dublin v Armagh again (against my better judgement) Plus I noticed cluxton played it short on at least one occasion, and sometimes found his man from kicking medium to the side of the pitch. Commentators made no remark on it. The genesis was there. Obviously it was rare most were lamped down the middle.

But what I would love to know was Cluxton taking frees for Parnell's early on in his club career? Or did it it only happen with Dublin when he was in his late 20's?
    That free Cossi missed was very easy.
    The media probably would have went into meltdown if Cluxton went taking frees as a 20 year old novice keeper in the early 00's. Shane 'Cake' Curran from Roscommon was probably the only one mad enough to think of it back then.

I would also like to know why Cluxton started taking frees and would it have been Gilroy that put him on them or did he just do it off his own bat?

The irony is cluxton does not take any frees for Dublin anymore. I suppose he is well down the pecking order. I wont mention the sending off in 2003 v Armagh in that qualifier. I suppose I can forgive him at this stage.

Always thought Declan Darcy should have taken that free in 02 v Armagh. Cossie and Johnny McNally were hit and miss on frees throughout that year.

Cluxton was put on frees from 2010 as Mossy wasn't consistent enough. Mossy missed a couple frees in 2011 league final defeat to Cork which probably cost him his place. Cluxton took over long range kicks and Bernard Brogan took close in frees. Cluxton plays plays outfield for Parnells and probably took all placed balls for them throughout the years.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Always thought Declan Darcy should have taken that free in 02 v Armagh. Cossie and Johnny McNally were hit and miss on frees throughout that year.

Cluxton was put on frees from 2010 as Mossy wasn't consistent enough. Mossy missed a couple frees in 2011 league final defeat to Cork which probably cost him his place. Cluxton took over long range kicks and Bernard Brogan took close in frees. Cluxton plays plays outfield for Parnells and probably took all placed balls for them throughout the years.

Ah yeah that was it Mossy. He could hook it one minute or put it over the black spot the next. You jogged my memory on Darcy he kicked a sideline kick reminiscent of Maurice Fitzgerald (01) in a Dublin league game shortly after it.

Can't forget about Wayne McCarthy disappeared about 2000 after Carr was sacked. Always thought he was the worst Dublin free taker some horrible misses. Never had confidence in him taking frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ball In Towards

Really enjoyed this with pat gilroy. he was pretty honest in it and admitted he took his eye off the ball in the 2012 all ireland semi loss to mayo. havent heard much from him in interviews but he seems a really interesting guy

https://ourgame.ie/gilroy-takes-blame-for-dublin-defeat-to-mayo-2012/

Really enjoyed this with pat gilroy. he was pretty honest in it and admitted he took his eye off the ball in the 2012 all ireland semi loss to mayo. havent heard much from him in interviews but he seems a really interesting guy

Does they cover him leaving the hurlers in the lurch?

Yeah it was a good interview alright. Can see how Gilroy has done so well in business and management. Great organiser, good people person, a straight talker but delves into the group dynamic.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Does they cover him leaving the hurlers in the lurch?

Most of the interview was a 'Marino Mafia love in' for more than half of it. Fennell had an odd way of both making a statement and half answering it.
    But he did provide good player insight from his time in the Dublin/Vincent's camp.
    Thankfully Gilroy was well able to talk still, and was open with every answer/comment he gave.

There was no mention of the hurlers until the last few minutes. Gilroy said he would have loved to stay on, but work commitments stopped him. Preferred hurling when he was younger and gets annoyed if fellas only pick football because they have a better chance of winning stuff.

I would have liked to see Fennell press him on it, if he made others in the Dublin hurling set up aware he was to leave the hurlers in time? But Fennell was never going to ask him hard questions. It was not that type of interview.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd really like to hear his thoughts on the hurlers. I have no doubt that Mattie Kenny got a full and through debrief, and am under no illusions that Gilroy would actually talk about the current set up, but of all the people, I'd love to know his thoughts. I was actually excited when he took over, he's got a way of organising teams to succeed despite any mental frailties they might have.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd really like to hear his thoughts on the hurlers. I have no doubt that Mattie Kenny got a full and through debrief, and am under no illusions that Gilroy would actually talk about the current set up, but of all the people, I'd love to know his thoughts. I was actually excited when he took over, he's got a way of organising teams to succeed despite any mental frailties they might have.

Oh I forgot to mention the one key thing Gilroy said about the Dublin hurlers. He was shocked at how down in themselves they were. He found that when the Cuala lads were not there (who had loads of self belief) - it was difficult to lift the rest.

Oh I forgot to mention the one key thing Gilroy said about the Dublin hurlers. He was shocked at how down in themselves they were. He found that when the Cuala lads were not there (who had loads of self belief) - it was difficult to lift the rest.

I'm sure that him pissing off with zero notice helped their confidence no end, they're probably right to be down given the calls that the county board made post Daly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Very enjoyable interview. Gilroy has always struck me as a fascinating character.

I would have liked if they'd dwelt a bit longer on his time with the Hurlers. I really felt he had time moving in the right direction by the time he left

I wonder would he be open to a return.

The next Fennell interview is up. This time with Shane Ryan aka Michael Jordan.

Hurling talk starts at 40mins.

He loved playing midfield for the footballers. The funny thing is I remember given out when Ryan was moved to midfield because he was not a 'proper midfielder'.

But in hindsight I think any manager would want him on the panel at least with that versatility and drive. I think he would make the 5 in a row panel if he was around now.

I was annoyed that Fennell did not ask Ryan about the game turning in 06, after he was taken off against Mayo. That still annoys me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

The next Fennell interview is up. This time with Shane Ryan aka Michael Jordan.

Hurling talk starts at 40mins.

He loved playing midfield for the footballers. The funny thing is I remember given out when Ryan was moved to midfield because he was not a 'proper midfielder'.

But in hindsight I think any manager would want him on the panel at least with that versatility and drive. I think he would make the 5 in a row panel if he was around now.

I was annoyed that Fennell did not ask Ryan about the game turning in 06, after he was taken off against Mayo. That still annoys me!

The game had turned before Ryan went off hadn't it. A bit fuzzy at this stage but wasn't there a reshuffle with Ryan moving to half back that handed Mayo the initiative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

1 footballer of the year. One.

Just one.

This Cluxton fella is a cod, a bengal lancer.

Not even good enough to have played senior club with Wooly :)

Advertisement