Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I dunno. I guess if we look at Kenneally on Murphy in 2009 as "not a red" I guess you could work it back from there.

:D

I couldn't believe how much more 'physical' the game was way back. Like watching a different sport. Much as it pains me to say it those Kerry forwards from thier great 70's team are up there with this current Dublin team. I initially thought Kerry couldn't be as good as those Kerry people made out. I was wrong. Power, Egan and Sheehy in particular would play in any era.

I thought about making a 15 made up of Kerry 1970's/80's and Dublin 2011-2019. But realised it would be impossible. Besides keeper (cluxton) obviously there are loads of debatable positions. Would have to look at scoring average and give opponents a weighting if was going to do it right.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My favourite "it was tougher in the old days" video:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1025302389530783745

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

I take at this stage that the county board won't be overturning the no promotion / relegation rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

www.rte.ie/amp/1158861/

So Paul Clarke is the latest to leave the Senior team.

www.rte.ie/amp/1158861/

So Paul Clarke is the latest to leave the Senior team.

O'Byrne Cup legendary manager. Must have got fed up missing out on those holliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Unfortunately, he is not going to miss much.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Anyone know if this weekends senior football c'ship 1/4 finals will be streamed live somewhere?

Mercee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Squareball wrote: »
    Anyone know if this weekends senior football c'ship 1/4 finals will be streamed live somewhere?

Mercee

Dubs TV all 4 games for €20

€7 for a single game ( bit pricey )

Dubs TV all 4 games for €20

€7 for a single game ( bit pricey )

Not sure it is worth getting the two days as Judes v Skerries will be non event. As you say €7 for one game would be a bit pricey.

But the double header on Sunday looks good value for the 12 Euro - would be the kind of one I would go to as a neutral anyway.

Hopefully this streaming craic will catch on properly and we won't have to be relying on RTE to show just a couple of minutes of Dublin intercounty hurling highlights. Laois v Dublin hurling match was not shown live last year if I remember correctly for example. Plus I don't think Dublin v Galway hurling match was shown live last year was it? I remember being damn annoyed at the coverage and a few minutes of highlights.

I was also wondering is the fair weather fan, now going to be called a fair weather streamer instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Crokes gave Vinnies a good hiding today.

Have Vinnies regressed that much?

Skerries put it up to Judes also, fair play to them as that looked like it could be a massacre.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Crokes gave Vinnies a good hiding today.

Have Vinnies regressed that much?

Skerries put it up to Judes also, fair play to them as that looked like it could be a massacre.

Didn't see the games. But I think Vinnies have been living on game management and cuteness for years - all those times they beat Ballymun for example. Time caught up with them at last same names for years. Probably need a new influx?

Water break 1st half

Raheny 0-4 Boden 0-4

Raheny playing cagey but could be winning forwards letting them down. Both sides hit crossbar.

HT Boden 0-9 Raheny 0-6 - Raheny five wides and cleared shot off line. Boden no wides at all.

Draw FT Boden 1-10 Raheny 0-13

Peno won by MDM scored by R Basquel. Raheny were a man up with about 10 mins left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Happy 6 in a row day ya'll !

HT ET Raheny 0-15 Boden 1-12
    Boden down to 14 again as Nelson got a BC taking down Fenton

Peno kicks if draw after next half ET

HT ET Raheny 0-15 Boden 1-12
    Boden down to 14 again as Nelson got a BC taking down Fenton

Peno kicks if draw after next half ET

FTET Boden 2-16 Raheny 0-16

Raheny should have won it imo. Boden 2nd goal was late on followed in after hitting crossbar. Fenton missed goal chance earlier on in 2nd half ET

HT Na Fianna 1-10 Ballymun 0-8 Conor McHugh great goal. Game is up and down I figure it could be close yet.

HT Na Fianna 1-10 Ballymun 0-8 Conor McHugh great goal. Game is up and down I figure it could be close yet.

Was the Dean Rock show second half in particular. Ballymun came back from 5 down to 5 ahead at one stage. McCaul got Ballymun goal and N Cooper got Na Fiannas consolation

FT BMun 1-18 NaF 2-13

K Crokes v Bmun SF jayus good one for the neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Was the Dean Rock show second half in particular. Ballymun came back from 5 down to 5 ahead at one stage. McCaul got Ballymun goal and N Cooper got Na Fiannas consolation

FT BMun 1-18 NaF 2-13

Did Na Fianna collapse or did Ballymun tighten the screw? Some turnaround alright.

Should be two great games. Judes are probably weakest of the 4 but i hope they do it.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Did Na Fianna collapse or did Ballymun tighten the screw? Some turnaround alright.

Should be two great games. Judes are probably weakest of the 4 but i hope they do it.

More Ballymun turning the screw really upped it in second half. But I felt watching that Na Fianna could have pressured them a bit more as well. Let them dictate play short kick outs etc.
    By the way J Cooper got a BC late on - shocked completely out of character! :D

Judes and Boden could be a tough one to call considering Boden struggled against Raheny's pressure and defensive tactics. And it is Judes bread and butter - plus suits Kevin Mc on break.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

More Ballymun turning the screw really upped it in second half. But I felt watching that Na Fianna could have pressured them a bit more as well. Let them dictate play short kick outs etc.
    By the way J Cooper got a BC late on - shocked completely out of character! :D

Judes and Boden could be a tough one to call considering Boden struggled against Raheny's pressure and defensive tactics. And it is Judes bread and butter - plus suits Kevin Mc on break.

Watched the Ballymun/Na Fianna game last night. In the 2nd half Kickhams were like wild dogs, tackling in packs. Last time I saw them at that was in the All-Ireland semi-final against Dr. Crokes in 2012. Not sure it's enough to get them another county championship but would love to see them do it.

Squareball wrote: »
    Watched the Ballymun/Na Fianna game last night. In the 2nd half Kickhams were like wild dogs, tackling in packs. Last time I saw them at that was in the All-Ireland semi-final against Dr. Crokes in 2012. Not sure it's enough to get them another county championship but would love to see them do it.

Could it be as simple as Ballymun being well rested for a change instead of being leggy at this time of year?
    I can't remember the posters name from Ballymun (on this thread) but said plenty of times that Dublin's success sees them under perform. It was probably after one of the recent seasons were aging Vincent's team still manage to beat Ballymun.
    I remember last year think first game back after Dublin 5 in a row? Na Fianna knocked Ballymun out and Ballymun looked wrecked had zero zip in them - heavy legged.

As a neutral would like to see Judes and Kevin Mc win it. Well managed team make great use of what they have. Plus would have a symmetry if Judes won. After all Kevin Mc got the ball rolling for the Dubs v Kerry in 2011 with that goal. He nearly scored a very similar goal v Skerries as well in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

R I P Tony alias molly malone died yesterday seemed to a constant presence at the matches .

R I P Tony alias molly malone died yesterday seemed to a constant presence at the matches .

Glad that the fella lived to see the five in a row. He was like a big kid at matches got real enjoyment from the game. Which is what it is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

RIP.

A hill 16 legend.

Very sad. Pity he didn't get to see 6 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ballyboden st enda girls underage game abandoned earlier today because of Ballyboden coaches verbal assault on the referee late in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Great managers have to make tough decisions. Reading a bit by Brogan on Gavin, personally, I don't think Brogan is doing himself any favours.

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »
    Great managers have to make tough decisions. Reading a bit by Brogan on Gavin, personally, I don't think Brogan is doing himself any favours.

Which paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Which paper?

Indo

Which paper?
    Indo

:eek:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-bernard-brogan-autobiography-part-one-dermos-return-and-the-phone-call-from-gavin-that-ended-it-for-me-39506224.html

Jesus, the ego has landed!
    I lost a bit of 'respect' for Bernard after reading that. Comes across as a right self entitled nob. Just because of the Brogan family name in GAA?

Maybe he just ratcheted it up to sell his book? Does not sound good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Really? I would have been more miffed if he took that on the chin, especially considering how we were a bit wound up with his omission.

I think the honesty in the moment stands to him.

Seems fair to me. I think a lot of us were quite puzzled by it. I personally thought he earned his chance to make the squad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I feared the worst from the comments above, but everything he wrote is pretty fair. I think that if the players aren't open about displaying that kind of drive and desire with the manager, then they're probably not going to make the team, to be honest.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, I feared the worst from the comments above, but everything he wrote is pretty fair. I think that if the players aren't open about displaying that kind of drive and desire with the manager, then they're probably not going to make the team, to be honest.

It was the comparison to Connolly that annoyed me more. I think Connolly always has the potential to offer more than Bernard on the pitch and Jim thought the same.
    He has to make the calls (rightly or wrongly). He was the manager.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-4791456-Sep2019/

Brogan was called back on panel for the Final replay but did not even come on as one of the five subs. He had just slipped down the pecking order as simple as that.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-2-4808774-Sep2019/

I remember there were calls for sentimental appearance for Bernard as a sub in the replay.

But fair play to Gavin he stuck to his guns did what he thought was best for the team. No Brogan sub. And lets be honest bar 2014 he has not got much wrong has he?

Reminds me a bit of Paidi O'Se whinging and sulking when Micko dropped him. And he did not talk to O'Dwyer for years. Then realised O'Dywer was right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"So we're looking at when and how to run some corporate days where Immedis can get some of their key European clients in the same room as Shane to further activate that sponsorship."

Ross O'Carroll Kelly: the GAA years

It was the comparison to Connolly that annoyed me more. I think Connolly always has the potential to offer more than Bernard on the pitch and Jim thought the same.
    He has to make the calls (rightly or wrongly). He was the manager.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-4791456-Sep2019/

Brogan was called back on panel for the Final replay but did not even come on as one of the five subs. He had just slipped down the pecking order as simple as that.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-all-ireland-2-4808774-Sep2019/

I remember there were calls for sentimental appearance for Bernard as a sub in the replay.

But fair play to Gavin he stuck to his guns did what he thought was best for the team. No Brogan sub. And lets be honest bar 2014 he has not got much wrong has he?

Reminds me a bit of Paidi O'Se whinging and sulking when Micko dropped him. And he did not talk to O'Dwyer for years. Then realised O'Dywer was right!

Why was he even brought on v Tyrone then?

Presumably Gavin thought that would be enough of a token gesture and send off for him.

The Omagh game was about giving some fellas a run out (semi competitive experiment) like Bugler, McDaid, O'Carroll - Brogan was given his chance/farewell at 45 minutes.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-tyrone-all-ireland-football-4752645-Aug2019/

I remember giving out/laughing about Connolly having nothing to do just played as playmaker in that game - limited/no contact and long passes.
    Never saw the likes of it before so obvious in a Gaelic football match.
    But it worked it was obviously Gavin's thinking in trying it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I remember in the Tyrone game Berno going nuts when someone took a point when he was in the middle with a goal at his mercy it was a dead rubber game but I wonder if Jim seening that might have thought Berno would be trying too hard to score himself in the next game . I will always have fond memories of Berno though he was a great player at his peak but Jim had to do what he thought was best for the team and that worked out well overall .

Presumably Gavin thought that would be enough of a token gesture and send off for him.

Wait, so how does this marry with the prevailing notion that JG doesn't do sentiment?

It's bollox tbh.

The Omagh game was about giving some fellas a run out (semi competitive experiment) like Bugler, McDaid, O'Carroll - Brogan was given his chance/farewell at 45 minutes.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-tyrone-all-ireland-football-4752645-Aug2019/

I remember giving out/laughing about Connolly having nothing to do just played as playmaker in that game - limited/no contact and long passes.
    Never saw the likes of it before so obvious in a Gaelic football match.
    But it worked it was obviously Gavin's thinking in trying it out.

I was at the game.

I remember in the Tyrone game Berno going nuts when someone took a point when he was in the middle with a goal at his mercy it was a dead rubber game but I wonder if Jim seening that might have thought Berno would be trying too hard to score himself in the next game . I will always have fond memories of Berno though he was a great player at his peak but Jim had to do what he thought was best for the team and that worked out well overall .

I remember the commentary on here and elsewhere of Brogan going mad for that chance was a sign of his hunger and it's good to have him back.

I can't recall your exact opinion at the time but a lot of this seems revisionsist to me tbh.

---

Also, I'm so happy to be talking football again.

---

Either JG does sentiment or not.

Of course he does, he's human. Just maybe not an abundance of it.

It was a risk free scenario anyway.

Either JG does sentiment or not.

It was BB's last run v Tyrone.
    Whether it was sentiment and/or whether it was his last chance (and he blew it) only Jim knows,

I would much rather a fella being given a chance like that in dead rubber, instead of an All Ireland final.
    Especially if the manager thinks there are better options when it comes to the crunch.

There was a large spread of scorers that day in Omagh. All the talk was about Bulger, McDaid and Connolly's new role. Plus whether ROC was past it. Can't remember much specific BB chat either way if I am honest.

A lot will be buying the book at Christmas now anyway!

Didn't realise the game was on TG4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Shocking decision from the ref. Gives a penalty instead of an advantage. Misses the penalty.

You'd have to wonder what went through his head there. Ridiculous.

Brutal peno though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Are Dublin the only county that doesn’t have a county semi final on local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Both of them eye gouging there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement