Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Watched the replay of last years final
    Dublin made hard work in the second half looking back, Kerry were very poor I have to say

A brilliant dublin team though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

C__MC wrote: »
    Watched the replay of last years final
    Dublin made hard work in the second half looking back, Kerry were very poor I have to say

A brilliant dublin team though

I wonder how this break is going to effect teams will take ages to get back into fitness. Could be some really odd results if the championship does ever start.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I wonder how this break is going to effect teams will take ages to get back into fitness. Could be some really odd results if the championship does ever start.

Thankfully we have all that money and all those individual gyms for every panel member.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    We're all going a little crazy. I wouldn't be a regular poster in here but I admire the characters who have such a deep knowledge.
    You guys go to games that most of us don't even know are on.
    I've being going to Dublin games since the start of the bad times. Straight after '95. Bit of a jinx up until recently.
    I love it. Crowd has dwindled but my big brother and me go everywhere with you guys. There will come a day when we don't.....
    Im a soccer man. Coach and train kids and my other love Is an English football team. Don't hate on me too much.
    But I'm missing my coaching and my Dublin days far more than anything else sport related.
    Yes Bonnie, so glad we witnessed that 5 in a row and decade....so glad.
    Sorry for long post..

You can't have it all.

My other love is an Irish football team who FINALLY got back to the big time only for this shít to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

You can't have it all.

My other love is an Irish football team who FINALLY got back to the big time only for this shít to hit.

You Rovers too? Super Hoops!

• Advertisement

You Rovers too? Super Hoops!

* spits *

Nope, very much a Shels man.

* spits *

Nope, very much a Shels man.

Haha fair enough lad. I thought you were referencing Rovers finally winning the FAI Cup again last year. We're cross city rivals so. But the Dubs unite us all. Even that Bohs mob.

Haha fair enough lad. I thought you were referencing Rovers finally winning the FAI Cup again last year. We're cross city rivals so. But the Dubs unite us all. Even that Bohs mob.

Well technically we are Ringsend rivals...

Yizzer still filth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Very difficult to see any end to these restrictions that will see matches getting the all clear feel there is a real chance of nothing this year .This whole thing looks like dragging out till near the end of the year before things could be normal hope i am wrong .

Very difficult to see any end to these restrictions that will see matches getting the all clear feel there is a real chance of nothing this year .This whole thing looks like dragging out till near the end of the year before things could be normal hope i am wrong .

I can't see anything or much these year either, because unlike the majority of other top tier sports in the world - the GAA is amateur.
    The GAA are always willing to take a loss for the 'greater good' unlike the pure capitalist ethos of other sports.

It will more than likely be a write off,with the odd behind closed doors challenge game. Plus as the time drags on it will more likely mean playing big games in the bad weather. The GAA might not get as jammy as they did with the nice winter weather for the club AI's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

anybody hear anything about the parnell pass this year usually renewals at end of the month .

1958 AI football Final Dublin v Derry (In Colour)

Way different style to football now, passion still the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

1958 AI football Final Dublin v Derry (In Colour)

Way different style to football now, passion still the same though.

Interesting to note that for all the ****e talk about Heffos Army bringing soccer style support into GAA that the hill was full of Dublin flags, even back then :D

Any Dubs here at the 1983 All Ire final? Just watched it back today. Was only 7 at the time so no memory of it.

What was Mullins and Duff at? Ridiculous red cards. An elbow that nearly decapitated Talty and Duff a cowardly boot in to the Galways lads face as he lay on the ground. Really poor form. The other two red cards were soft enough.

Very tough game. Dubs dominated first half and should have been more than 6 or 7 points ahead. Only for Mullins getting sent off they would have been in a very strong position but Galway had the aid of a gale force wind behind them in second half.

Dubs started second half with a Barney Rock free but then Duff got the line and even though we were 7 or 8 ahead we were in big trouble.

Galway started dominating possession and chipping away at the scoreboard but Dublin won a couple of very soft frees which Barney scored (one from 21 yards out which he hit so poorly the Galway keeper got both hands to it but the ball skidded off his hands and drooped over the bar) to keep the noses in front.

The last 10 minutes Galway were totally on top and got it to two points and missed a few easy points and a goal chance that Canavan blocked.

The Dubs fans were all behind and around the Hill endline with 5 minutes to go and a bit premature for the celebrating as even in the 2nd minute of injury time Galway dropped a free into the square which hit off the post/crossbar.

Even though i knew the result i was living on my wits watching it. Pure stressful. How the 12 apostles won the day i dont know but the celebrations from the Hill at the final whistle was a sight to behold. Are we Dubs born to suffer every All Ire victory? I aged 5 years listening to Michael O HeHir's magic voice there. Bloody heck, i'm off for a wee nap :)

Any Dubs here at the 1983 All Ire final? Just watched it back today. Was only 7 at the time so no memory of it.

What was Mullins and Duff at? Ridiculous red cards. An elbow that nearly decapitated Talty and Duff a cowardly boot in to the Galways lads face as he lay on the ground. Really poor form. The other two red cards were soft enough.

Not old enough to really remember either.
    But from Laochra Gael programme about Duff on TG4
    Duff claimed, the Galway fella (Pat O'Neill) made a meal of it. He did not even connect with his head. His wife asked the Pat O'Neill did Duff kick him in the head (at hotel meal) and the O'Neill said no.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-duff-dublin-laochra-gael-407149

"There was a kickout from the Galway keeper. As it was going over my head, Pat was holding onto my jersey and swinging out of me. Whatever way I spun around, I grabbed him and threw him to the ground.

I saw the referee was looking that way, the linesman was looking that way, I just walked over to him, as much to say, 'Would you just get up off the ground and stop acting the clown?' I gave kind of a toe-poke to him.

It looked like I had kicked him in the had but as he said himself afterward that I made no contact and if I did make contact, it was with his arm or shoulder. It was the crowd's reaction that done me.

My next thought was, 'shít, we're down another man.' "

Not old enough to really remember either.
    But from Laochra Gael programme about Duff on TG4
    Duff claimed, the Galway fella (Pat O'Neill) made a meal of it. He did not even connect with his head. His wife asked the Pat O'Neill did Duff kick him in the head (at hotel meal) and the O'Neill said no.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-duff-dublin-laochra-gael-407149

"There was a kickout from the Galway keeper. As it was going over my head, Pat was holding onto my jersey and swinging out of me. Whatever way I spun around, I grabbed him and threw him to the ground.

I saw the referee was looking that way, the linesman was looking that way, I just walked over to him, as much to say, 'Would you just get up off the ground and stop acting the clown?' I gave kind of a toe-poke to him.

It looked like I had kicked him in the had but as he said himself afterward that I made no contact and if I did make contact, it was with his arm or shoulder. It was the crowd's reaction that done me.

My next thought was, 'shít, we're down another man.' "

Interesting. From the tv it definately looks like a kick to the head but if the Galway fella admitted he made a meal of it then fair enough. No close up camera action or slow motion replay back in '83. Still though, Duff gave the referee a decision to make by kicking out like that. Could you be done for 'intent' back then? The Galway lad was just being clever i guess. Or cheating. Lets say being a cute hoor. Not to worry though, the 12 Apostles carried the day in a very hard fought won All Ireland.

There was some fine performances in the match. Canavan and Buckley were excellent at wing half back. Jim Ronayne had a good first half in the middle. So too Brian Mullins. Massive loss. Duff was a fantastic footballer and was playing well before he saw the line. Smokey Joe McNally played well in second half when down to 12.

Galway will be kicking themselves though. I heard a player on some radio or podcast say they found it very hard to get over that loss. They really should have won with all the chances they missed with two extra men but to the victors go the spoils and it will always be remembered as a sweet win for us city slickers.

I was 10, I remember being nearly crushed at it, and being lowered (and dropped) down onto the railway tracks by the old man afterwards.

Bambi wrote: »
    I was 10, I remember being nearly crushed at it, and being lowered (and dropped) down onto the railway tracks by the old man afterwards.

Rough day on and off the pitch by the sounds of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bambi wrote:

I was 11. Was in the canal end. Cash was taken on the day. I think it was 3 pound. I didnt pay because i got a lift over the turnstiles. I remember there was a lot of crushes during the game paticularly during the second half. Weather was atrocious.

The worst crush though was coming out of the ground after the game. I could barely breath. Only for some old chap lifting me up i would have been in trouble

Different times.

• Advertisement

I was 11. Was in the canal end. Cash was taken on the day. I think it was 3 pound. I didnt pay because i got a lift over the turnstiles. I remember there was a lot of crushes during the game paticularly during the second half. Weather was atrocious.

The worst crush though was coming out of the ground after the game. I could barely breath. Only for some old chap lifting me up i would have been in trouble

Different times.

Happened to me a few times in either Semple or Limerick too during that era. One time, Limerick v Cork, I was jammed up against a concrete wall and saw a lad on crutches go down in the crush, probably the first time I feared for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ball In Towards

There was a good chat with Alan brogan on dubs tv tonight really enjoyed it Eamonn fennel did it

Loved him ripping the piss about him going to the gym ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hello fellow handsome Dubs, i hope you and the family are all safe and healthy.

I made a lovely coddle over the weekend, yes carrots were thrown in. Sorry, not sorry, but i do like a carrot in.
    Has anyone ever put white pudding in?? An interesting concept...

Its not really been mentioned in this thread but looks like no 6 in a row this year. Pity, because i think the country needs a lift and we'd be the team to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: It's against Boards rules to discuss upcoming/ongoing court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Mod: It's against Boards rules to discuss upcoming/ongoing court cases.

It's only a bit of carrot in the coddle....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hello fellow handsome Dubs, i hope you and the family are all safe and healthy.

I made a lovely coddle over the weekend, yes carrots were thrown in. Sorry, not sorry, but i do like a carrot in.
    Has anyone ever put white pudding in?? An interesting concept...

Its not really been mentioned in this thread but looks like no 6 in a row this year. Pity, because i think the country needs a lift and we'd be the team to do it.

Carrots AND white pudding?

You need to have a good, hard look at yourself pal.

Wars have started over less.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sorry PD. It was just a thought.

Fun fact; Dubs are the only people that eat white pudding raw, with a bit of seasoning.

Think I read that in Time magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lads, I re-watched the 2002 Armagh game on TG4 last Sunday, and for a fella who'd have a good memory of the Dublin team from that era, I can't for the life of me recall John McNally who started full-forward that day.

Where did he end up after? Name completely escaped me.

• Advertisement

Lads, I re-watched the 2002 Armagh game on TG4 last Sunday, and for a fella who'd have a good memory of the Dublin team from that era, I can't for the life of me recall John McNally who started full-forward that day.

Where did he end up after? Name completely escaped me.

Was at the game and watched it back last Sunday myself. To be honest i dont remember too much about him myself. Think he was from Ballinteer or Brigids.

It was a good second half but one thing from watching the match back was how woeful Dessie Farrell was. How he lasted the full match i dont know. Barely touched the ball at all. Worst Dublin player by a mile. A game we were unlucky to lose and Cosgrove's last gasp missed free was a bad miss. But was indicative of Dublin at the time. Always find a way to lose. How times have changed :)

Advertisement