Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TL;DW - a locksmith challenges the youtuber 'the lock picking lawyer' to pick a kryptonite lock faster than it too to grind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^
    That was really impressive.
    What was not so impressive was the way the lock picker used the stanley knife, apparently after previously cutting his finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eeeee wrote: »
    I was gonna post about that last week.
    It makes absolutely 0 sense to me. When joining from the previous path, you have to cross the ped bit, then crosses again here, for no discernible reason. It doesn't make sense coming on or off it either. The mind boggles.
    Some said it was so pedestrians would have a green area beside them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

rubadub wrote: »

I see. Why not make it that side the whole way then?
    We may never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rubadub wrote: »

sounds like the same sort of brainwave that has the cycle lanes on Greystones seafront painted so you're cycling on the right (see here). Apparently so cyclists aren't cycling against the flow of the adjacent road right beside any traffic. But the cycle lane is segregated and cycling on the right goes against virtually every other piece of road and cycling infrastructure in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..TL;DW - a locksmith challenges the youtuber 'the lock picking lawyer' to pick a kryptonite lock faster than it too to grind it.
    The most puzzling part of that is why anyone would go to the expense of calling out a locksmith to open bicycle lock. The call out charge would be more than the value of the lock, and, if he had a spare key at home, it would probably be cheaper to call a taxi and retrieve the spare key.

I think it's a set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

loyatemu wrote: »
    ...Apparently so cyclists aren't cycling against the flow of the adjacent road right beside any traffic...
    Perhaps it to avoid cyclists being inconvenienced by headlights coming against them as those dipped headlights would be pointed towards the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've seen a few of the lock-picking lawyer's videos before. He seems genuinely to be extremely good at picking locks.

He said he favoured the Kryptonite Series 4 chain himself, even though he can pick it in a very short space of time, because almost nobody tries to pick disk detainer locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jaysis, I lock my motorbike with a Kryptonite Evolution around an Oxford motorbike chain and a New York fahgettaboudit around the front wheel. May have to add to that.

Jaysis, I lock my motorbike with a Kryptonite Evolution around an Oxford motorbike chain and a New York fahgettaboudit around the front wheel. May have to add to that.
    My understanding is that the LPL had that tool he uses in the video specially made, so they're not common, and using it out in the field isn't nearly as easy as using at a table. Brute-force attacks are many times more common, and the LPL, AFAIR, said that they're what you should be worried about, not people picking -- unless you're using a lower-standard lock that uses wafer tumblers or pin tumblers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

sounds like the same sort of brainwave that has the cycle lanes on Greystones seafront painted so you're cycling on the right (see here). Apparently so cyclists aren't cycling against the flow of the adjacent road right beside any traffic. But the cycle lane is segregated and cycling on the right goes against virtually every other piece of road and cycling infrastructure in the country.
    Never even noticed that bikelane in Greystones, why would you even bother? Hop up on the footpath to get to it then drop down off the kerb 20 seconds later...

Guy on RTE1 show now making things from bike tyres and chains. Wow!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the poster is a joke, there's been a similar surge in dryrobe-wearing sea swimmers here in Greystones, to the extent that people have been calling the town Dryrobia. I don't think anyone has any problem with it, its a social thing mainly.

https://twitter.com/LunchtimeLiveNT/status/1328636138714771456

533161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think I'm out of line in saying that anyone who calls into a radio show to complain should be killed.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think I'm out of line in saying that anyone who calls into a radio show to complain should be killed.

And those, who comment on people, who call into radio shows, should receive a lesser sentence, maiming perhaps.
    And those, who comment on people commenting on people, who call ................ oh wait, that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And those, who comment on people, who call into radio shows, should receive a lesser sentence, maiming perhaps.
    And those, who comment on people commenting on people, who call ................ oh wait, that's me.

no comment :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

god, i usually like the inquirer but that guy is so far up his own hole we'll need elon musk's submarine to save him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

buffalo wrote: »
    Never mind Primetime, this is the investigative journalism we need:

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/11/18/paul-on-the-sandycove-swim-robe-wars

Wow.
    That was a spectacular exhibition of terrible writing.
    I now want to find the author and punch them, if only their head wasn't stuck so far up their hole.
    The editor wants a smack for publishing such tripe.

• Advertisement

god, i usually like the inquirer but that guy is so far up his own hole we'll need elon musk's submarine to save him.

I read that article.I assumed it was meant to be an attempt at a humorous tongue-in-cheek dig at everybody, not intended to be taken seriously by anybody.
    I have also added a new word to my lexicon: dryrobe, to go with other dry words like dryline, drysh1te and dryhump.

Saw this on the ECF website. Was quite interested to see Dublin quite high up the modal share for European capitals.
    https://ecf.com/resources/cycling-facts-and-figures
    (In the Capital Cities section)

Basically, it's like looking at total GDP by country: Copenhagen and Amsterdam are China and the USA, then there's a huge falling off, and a bunch of fairly similar also-rans. Dublin's one of them, I guess. Some of the figures are really old though, and London isn't an EU capital anymore.
    EU Capitals  Cycling modal share   Year                  
    Copenhagen   49%                   2018
    Amsterdam    35%                   2017
    Berlin       13%                   2013
    Ljubjana     13%                   2018
    Helsinki     14%                   2019
    Zagreb       10.1%                 2012
    Dublin       10%                   2017
    Stockholm    9%                    2013
    Vienna       7%                    2017
    Paris        5%                    2019
    Riga         4%                    2014
    Brussels     4%                    2014
    Luxembourg   3,5%                  2011
    Sofia        3%                    2010
    Nicosia      2%                    2010
    Athens       2%                    2005
    Budapest     2%                    2014
    Bratislava   2%                    2012
    London       2%                    2009
    Prague       1%                    2013
    Tallinn      1%                    2012
    Vilnius      1%                    2010
    Warsaw       1%                    2009
    Lisbon       1%                    2013
    Bucharest    1%                    2007
    Rome         0.6%                  2012
    Madrid       0%                    2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

about time, flicked on rte2 before bed last night and bachelors walk was on, the quays was a shambles of parked cars and 3 lanes of choas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Not quite bargain alert worthy but if and when you cancel a monthly subscription to Eurosport Player the bot offers you a half price yearly subscription. I cancelled anyway but you never know, might be of use.
    The condensed cycling season was great all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Peterx wrote: »
    Not quite bargain alert worthy but if and when you cancel a monthly subscription to Eurosport Player the bot offers you a half price yearly subscription. I cancelled anyway but you never know, might be of use.
    The condensed cycling season was great all the same.

Works for cancelling an annual sub too - you just saved future buffalo €20! Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Folks may know about the Classic Cycling youtube channel but it's got some good stuff on there. Particularly enjoying the 1983 Tour.

Funny to see a rider failing a doping test getting penalised 10 minutes. A young Roche on the Peugeot team supporting leader Phil Anderson who gets stiffed for an injured Pascal Simon and of course Kelly in green. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

126817167_3528613843843114_8151823876244726504_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=x_BQzZPmlWwAX8N0qKP&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=24b1e2099d1165f324d90abb1d938a3c&oe=5FDFD0F4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

buffalo wrote: »
    Works for cancelling an annual sub too - you just saved future buffalo €20! Thanks!

Would that work even if I'm still on the first 20€ subscription not expiring until next summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nice set of earbuds killed my the washing machine today, that's set #3 this year.

Advertisement