Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's more that instead of using them for their specific purpose, people are wearing them in supermarkets, coffee shops, on the school run etc. It's the sort of suburban middle class equivalent of the pajamas wearers in the city center.

I seen my first one out in the wild today as I took a detour around by Dalkey, guy with a bike and one of those, obviously after getting in from the harbour.

On a related note to the few posts before this, my first experience of the bike path near Blackrock and heading down to Dun Laoghaire and I have to say, it, as far as bike paths in Ireland go, this is very, very good. Amazing improvement over what went before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is a good idea. That corner of Fade St. is a bike-mangling black spot.
    https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1327285832030576640

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i'd say what simply happened is that the chap painting it started at one end, got bored, and started again at the far end. thinking 'the cycle path is on the right so that'll be fine'.

I ****ing love chicanes... on race tracks. This however makes no sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone here was looking at buying a tandem a couple of years ago, IIRC? wonder if they got one.
    this looks reasonable enough, you'd pay a *hell* of a lot more than that for the frame new.

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/handmade-dawes-tandem-bike/21871870

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anyone care to pick a side on this one, I veer more to the cyclist being in the wrong

https://twitter.com/UnbalancedMemes/status/1327928746070990849

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    Anyone care to pick a side on this one, I veer more to the cyclist being in the wrong

https://twitter.com/UnbalancedMemes/status/1327928746070990849

They are both morons and in the wrong for a variety of reasons

CramCycle wrote: »
    They are both morons and in the wrong for a variety of reasons

I wouldnt have put myself in that position on my bike or my motorcycle. Pair of them in it however that was poor judgement and riding from the motorcyclist. I'm 10months riding and wouldnt ride that badly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cyclist blasted straight through a red at first and then makes the 'i'm a vehicle' claim. that motorcyclist is better off the road though.

i wonder will people start approaching the gardai in greater numbers now, asking for this:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1327673306779095041

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Any tips as how to plan a training season without knowing dates for racing? C.I. has nothing on their calendar due to COVID - will there even be any racing next year?

Was hoping to start on the 1st of december (3 months base - 2 months build) but is there any point if we keep going into level 5 lockdowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cyclist blasted straight through a red at first and then makes the 'i'm a vehicle' claim. that motorcyclist is better off the road though.

I don't think that gives the motorcyclist the right to dispense instant justice.

oh, i didn't intend to suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

silverharp wrote: »

2 wrongs don't make a right.
    If the incident happened where the cyclist broke the red they'd be wrong. It didn't.

When the cyclist is turning right.
    The motorbike has undertaken another road user.
    He has done so at speed and dangerously.
    The cyclist hasn't indicated or checked prior to manouvers. In the circumstances this is careless but not dangerous (to others).
    95% of blame on motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

oh, i didn't intend to suggest that.

And I think, I may have been a bit eager to misinterpret your post, sorry.

i watched the video and at first assumed the cyclist running the red was why the guy on the motorbike gunned it away from the light to remonstrate with him. but the cyclist had brought a knife to a gunfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was driving on a straight stretch after dark this evening and noticed blinky red lights on the opposite side of the road. My initial thought was someone salmoning in the hard shoulder, but when I passed it turned out the cyclist was coming towards me. White blinky on the rear too, so I assume it was a mix up... I can't think of why it'd be on purpose :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I was driving on a straight stretch after dark this evening and noticed blinky red lights on the opposite side of the road. My initial thought was someone salmoning in the hard shoulder, but when I passed it turned out the cyclist was coming towards me. White blinky on the rear too, so I assume it was a mix up... I can't think of why it'd be on purpose :confused:

I see that all the time in Dublin. Sometimes it is red on both front and back. I don’t understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I see that all the time in Dublin. Sometimes it is red on both front and back. I don’t understand it.

Load of complete morons that don't understand the colour chosen has meaning. Sometimes you wonder how they remember to breathe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

ED E wrote: »
    Load of complete morons that don't understand the colour chosen has meaning. Sometimes you wonder how they remember to breathe...

That’s a bit harsh on Dubs. They are quite a diverse race in general ;)

have several times recently seen completely unlit cyclists on completely unlit roads.
    one i first copped when i saw his friend first, they'd made the wise decision that the chap with the light would cycle on the inside and the chap without one would cycle on the outside.

have several times recently seen completely unlit cyclists on completely unlit roads.
    one i first copped when i saw his friend first, they'd made the wise decision that the chap with the light would cycle on the inside and the chap without one would cycle on the outside.

I mentioned tge above on twitter and got abused by various cycle campaigners. The attitude was that if I saw them then whats the danger. Suffering jaysis like.

I mentioned tge above on twitter and got abused by various cycle campaigners. The attitude was that if I saw them then whats the danger. Suffering jaysis like.
    yeah, that comeback is somewhat tiresome.

another example was one i very possibly would not have seen because my headlights were pointed in the wrong direction - it was at a T junction where i was approaching from 6 o clock and turning right, and the cyclist was coming from the right - it was the light of a car behind the cyclist which illuminated him, which was how i copped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I was out for a run last night and despite run vest, armband and flashing lights (red) front and back
    Several drivers thought the necessary action is to light em up like you're lamping

Have to admit though I find drivers better by night for passing, biking and running.

Looks decent there, good width. The single lane tracks that are kerb protected are usually filled with debris, the contra flow from the quays to busaras being one of the worst, looks like its never been swept. At least the road sweepers can get into these wider tracks. That is if the bould Gemma lets them, herself and her crew have been chasing road sweepers accusing them of emitting 5G, I wish I was joking.

I see that on the commute albeit rare, white front and back, or just a white on the back. Its weird. I wonder have any of them ever realised why reversing lights are white?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Frustrating alright. I'd argue any light is better than no light, but yeah two reds is dodgy, much more misleading than two whites.

With usable lights front and rear from €5-€10 I don't understand it at all. I think it has to be laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Frustrating alright. I'd argue any light is better than no light, but yeah two reds is dodgy, much more misleading than two whites.

With usable lights front and rear from €5-€10 I don't understand it at all. I think it has to be laziness.

Odd time a light will die on me mind, but if i had to have one its the rear light, but yeah so many decent cheap rechargeable lights now

Advertisement