Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand any of the above...
    i know what a dryrobe is, but the rest is alien. i have sent it to a mate who uses a dryrobe to find out what a dryrobe type is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

i know what a dryrobe is, but the rest is alien. i have sent it to a mate who uses a dryrobe to find out what a dryrobe type is.

I have a dryrobe. I really hope I'm not the dryrobe type (or maybe I do. Let me know when you find out what it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm not sure I understand any of the above...

Sea swimming numbers have gone through the roof. Once quite coves are packed with gangs (predominantly women) going swimming.

It's mainly standing or jumping around the swimming ime.

Usually comes with social side of flasks, scones etc. The dry robe is the garmet of choice of choice with a lot of them.

Nice activity, being new it might be ruffling some established feathers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's not clear whether they're objecting to sea swimming in general (and dressing it up as a dislike of dryrobes) or have some more specific beef. but there's a godawful whack of 'i paid good money to live by the sea and i don't like all these proles who also want to avail of it'.

the 'by order' is endearing though. it has a faint ring of 'no gurlz in the treehouse, by order' to it.

So is the poster in the tweet real, then?

• Advertisement

it may have been put up with some humour intended, to be fair.

Never heard of dryrobes, but they look like the perfect working from home attire :)

Not getting any notions here .... honest .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Ryath

Never heard of dryrobes, but they look like the perfect working from home attire :)

Not getting any notions here .... honest .

King-Size_Homer.png

my friend who owns one lives within spitting distance of the sea in greystones. having spent new years with them on a couple of occasions, and having been in for a dip on both occasions on new years morning while hungover, i can see the attraction of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the poster is a joke, there's been a similar surge in dryrobe-wearing sea swimmers here in Greystones, to the extent that people have been calling the town Dryrobia. I don't think anyone has any problem with it, its a social thing mainly.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    King-Size_Homer.png

Makes me want to cry as I'm reminded of how good the Simpsons used to be and how ****e it is now and has been for the past 15-20 years.

Even the kids won't watch 'new' simpsons but have the first 7 or 8 seasons on dvd worn out nearly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sea swimming numbers have gone through the roof. Once quite coves are packed with gangs (predominantly women) going swimming.

It's mainly standing or jumping around the swimming ime.

Usually comes with social side of flasks, scones etc. The dry robe is the garmet of choice of choice with a lot of them.

Nice activity, being new it might be ruffling some established feathers.

I'm a sea swimming woman, and I do flask with friends. I don't have a dry robe though, but I have coveted one for some time.
    I will have to add scones to my post swimming routine, how have I not done that yet?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dryrobes rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They are awful looking yokes. Mrs WA has one for sea swimming but tends to wear it around for hours afterwards. They are everywhere now in my locality.

They are awful looking yokes. Mrs WA has one for sea swimming but tends to wear it around for hours afterwards. They are everywhere now in my locality.

It's just a towel with a hood and pockets. I have one for kayaking. Fierece handy. I don't wear it around afterwards, though.

What do you find so disagreeable about them? Actually, is it by your order that the posters have been put up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tim Gill writes some interesting things about childhood and play.

...What do you find so disagreeable about them?...
    It's more that instead of using them for their specific purpose, people are wearing them in supermarkets, coffee shops, on the school run etc. It's the sort of suburban middle class equivalent of the pajamas wearers in the city center.

It's more that instead of using them for their specific purpose, people are wearing them in supermarkets, coffee shops, on the school run etc. It's the sort of suburban middle class equivalent of the pajamas wearers in the city center.

:D:D:D

I have to admit, it's not a phenomenon I've noticed, but then I don't work or live in the suburbs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm completely here for them. And pyjama shop wearing! People are warm and comfy, what does it matter?
    I can't wait to get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Is there anything more off putting than the sound of airbrakes coming up behind?

On a blustery downhill in the pissing rain and meeting plenty cars. I now know there's a sizable truck back there.

I'd be a lot more comfortable on the blustery, wet downhill if I knew a tumble wouldn't have me squished

Is there anything more off putting than the sound of airbrakes coming up behind?...
    Yes, the silence of a truck which has run out of compressed air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yes, the silence of a truck which has run out of compressed air.

There's a fella up near the ward cross with haulage business.

He was going down slane hill back when there were constant fatalities, 30 years ago.
    Truck behind is flashing lights and speeding up. Obviously lost his brakes.

This hero put his tractor unit in front of the other fella. Managed to stop him ending in the boyne. Truck ended up on his 5th wheel.

A complete aside to me getting the wobbles this morning

Well, this came a bit out of left field. A response to a fintan O'Toole tweet about the two supreme court judges at loggerheads over golfgate.

https://twitter.com/dublinnewscom/status/1325931550886727680

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

More than a little random reply to that tweet, no? plus more of the same diatribe against cyclists.

On another note, I have a €50 Halfords voucher, plus two one4all vouchers to the value of €80 - Total €130

What do I need from Halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

wheelo01 wrote: »
    More than a little random reply to that tweet, no? plus more of the same diatribe against cyclists.

On another note, I have a €50 Halfords voucher, plus two one4all vouchers to the value of €80 - Total €130

I ended up with 4 sets of cleats from Halfords thanks to vouchers Years to get through them all. Do you need any?😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

wheelo01 wrote: »

You need to use an axa plus or three code for 10% off, €145 to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How does the Axa discount work, I'm insured with Axa on the motorbike, its through a broker though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How does the Axa discount work, I'm insured with Axa on the motorbike, its through a broker though
    Bring in your disk and say the card never arrived, the Disc should say AXA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think you get 10% off with the 3plus app too, or used to

Advertisement