Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

micar wrote: »
    The mini driver overtook 2 cars to pass you.

You really need to report this and a concertive effort needs to be made to identify the driver.
    I'd bet if you hang around that road at the same time of day for a couple of days you'll get a red Mini (and just one red Mini) that matches. The video could also go viral with a bit of effort, if that's what you want to do. See if you can get broadsheet or thejournal interested. Be prepared for the bikelash, because it was all your fault for being there obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The classic, "You made me break my car" by Pinch Flat :D

Lol. Fun times. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd bet if you hang around that road at the same time of day for a couple of days you'll get a red Mini (and just one red Mini) that matches.
    this is nowhere near good enough. you can't accuse someone of being that driver simply because they were the only red mini to drive past on the days you choose to look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

buffalo wrote: »
    Neither image was sharp enough to catch the reg

YouTube really compresses the crap out of video. What is the footage directly from the camera’s SD card like? I might be able to stabilise the video and extract something for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

tnegun wrote: »
    Are you using a Fly 12CE? I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by mine. Have had to step through videos frame by frame and extract the reg in pieces a couple of times.

It's the Fly 6 on the rear, and a Yi action camera on the front (a GoPro knock-off). The Fly 6 is generally great, except in dark or low light conditions. The Yi not so much, I've been debating upgrading to a Cycliq model as the battery on it only lasts an hour or so.
    5uspect wrote: »
    YouTube really compresses the crap out of video. What is the footage directly from the camera’s SD card like? I might be able to stabilise the video and extract something for you.

It's not great - I'm doing 35-40kph, they're probably doing 80+kph, it's low light. I'll call into Lucan Garda station on the way home today and see what they say, but I doubt if anything will come of it.

Really seemed to the day for the dangerous overtakes yesterday - not so much near misses for me, but that'd be scant consolation if there was a head-on collision on the other side of the road...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'd bet if you hang around that road at the same time of day for a couple of days you'll get a red Mini (and just one red Mini) that matches. The video could also go viral with a bit of effort, if that's what you want to do. See if you can get broadsheet or thejournal interested. Be prepared for the bikelash, because it was all your fault for being there obviously.

Worst piece of advice ever. Red mini's aren't exactly uncommon. Some innocent person could get the blame for something they didn't do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

buffalo wrote: »
    It's the Fly 6 on the rear, and a Yi action camera on the front (a GoPro knock-off). The Fly 6 is generally great, except in dark or low light conditions. The Yi not so much, I've been debating upgrading to a Cycliq model as the battery on it only lasts an hour or so.

Battery on my 3 month old 12CE is lucky to go past 3 hours on pulse recording 1080p 60FPS with EIS also on my 3rd mount they keep cracking and failing due to the weight of the camera, app is next to useless too! Lucan Gardai are pretty good I reported this guy https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=485475&stc=1&d=1563350680 dumping on the canal last week and they followed it up. Took me a few attempts to get the reg and he was stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Worst piece of advice ever. Red mini's aren't exactly uncommon. Some innocent person could get the blame for something they didn't do

As an example, back over 20 yrs ago a colleague of mine was told at a Garda checkpoint that it was an absolute disgrace that he was driving Veronica Guerin's car after her murder. Needless to say, it wasn't her car so he gave the Guard a piece of his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 victor17

Has anyone else been experiencing frequent close passes by coaches on the north quays heading towards the city centre? Swords Express are one of the worst, in my experience. Any point in lodging a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

There's a Swords Express bus I meet regularly on morning commute - O'Connell Bridge turning right onto north quays

It's the only bus that stands out in my head as being consistently fúcking awful for close passes and then pulling in at the bus stop on Eden Quay and cutting cyclists off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

maximoose wrote: »
    There's a Swords Express bus I meet regularly on morning commute - O'Connell Bridge turning right onto north quays

It's the only bus that stands out in my head as being consistently fúcking awful for close passes and then pulling in at the bus stop on Eden Quay and cutting cyclists off.

That's a pure balls of a spot. That whole section down from OCB to Liberty Hall is a pain in the arse with the buses.

The road is in shocking condition too. Very bumpy.

victor17 wrote: »
    Has anyone else been experiencing frequent close passes by coaches on the north quays heading towards the city centre? Swords Express are one of the worst, in my experience. Any point in lodging a complaint?

Emailed Swords Express, who got back to me promptly, but instead of addressing the dangeours overtaking, they queried why I was not using the (completely ill-conceived) cycle lane. :rolleyes: I was told they would escalate it to their transport manager - not holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Emailed Swords Express, who got back to me promptly, but instead of addressing the dangeours overtaking, they queried why I was not using the (completely ill-conceived) cycle lane. :rolleyes: I was told they would escalate it to their transport manager - not holding my breath!

"If you took a different route, the bus driver wouldn't have been able to squash you!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looiking at their FB page, there have been many negative experiences by passengers and they all seem to get the stock answer of "we'll ask our transport manager". Presumably none of the passengers get any kind of follow up (even by PM).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

"I wasn't using the cycle lane because your drivers have a habit of discharging passengers into the cycle lane whenever there are cyclists using the lane"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

blackwhite wrote: »
    "I wasn't using the cycle lane because your drivers have a habit of discharging passengers into the cycle lane whenever there are cyclists using the lane"

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Complete with the transport manager stock answer.

https://twitter.com/crowleystephen/status/1134373793210732545?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That tweet gets escalated to the Transport Manager too.

https://twitter.com/SwordsExpress/status/1134388413950504960

Seems like a busy role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Looking at the ad on the back of the bus, you should ask their "Transport Manager" if their route goes past any graveyards?

this is nowhere near good enough. you can't accuse someone of being that driver simply because they were the only red mini to drive past on the days you choose to look.
    It certainly wouldn't be enough to go to Gardai with, but it would be a great starting point. Stick behind the red Mini on that road for a day or two, and I'd bet a fiver you'll see more crazy overtakes before too long.

Did we have a reg on the mini? Even a guess at it? Run it through cartell and it'll at least tell you the make and model.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It certainly wouldn't be enough to go to Gardai with, but it would be a great starting point. Stick behind the red Mini on that road for a day or two, and I'd bet a fiver you'll see more crazy overtakes before too long.
    you clearly have a lot of free time, and some crazy ideas. you're going to spot a red mini and stalk it?
    like some sheriff in the dukes of hazzard, laying in wait in a layby for it to pass so you can roar out behind it to film it?
    do you actually realise what you're suggesting?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

rushfan wrote: »
    As an example, back over 20 yrs ago a colleague of mine was told at a Garda checkpoint that it was an absolute disgrace that he was driving Veronica Guerin's car after her murder. Needless to say, it wasn't her car so he gave the Guard a piece of his mind.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=485475&d=1563350678

Wait, is that a red mini on its side?!

I mustn't be lucky this week, as another incident at the same spot this morning. https://ibb.co/hMSMcZH This time a GoBus driver leaned on the horn while tailgating me. I ignored the first beep but when I finally looked back, the driver was gesticulating frantically at the cycle lane running parallel to the road. :confused:

It's such a poorly-designed cycle lane. I would actually feel safer if it didn't exist at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I mustn't be lucky this week, as another incident at the same spot this morning. https://ibb.co/hMSMcZH This time a GoBus driver leaned on the horn while tailgating me. I ignored the first beep but when I finally looked back, the driver was gesticulating frantically at the cycle lane running parallel to the road. :confused:

It's such a poorly-designed cycle lane. I would actually feel safer if it didn't exist at all.

Good to see the bike lane been put to use by the golf buggy thingy. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Never heard of GoBus. I do find bus drivers coming from the country are often terrible toward cyclists. Is it because they are used to moving more freely in the country and do not readjust to the city?
    It is really scary what he did, if filmed consider reporting etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

My sentiments are the same with a lot of new off-road cycle lanes that run parallel to shared bus/taxi/cycle lanes. Frequently these lanes are not suitable for commuters due to them being blocked, pedestrians spilling onto them and having to frequently give way to motorists coming from side roads.

To top it all off taxis/buses will usually give a punishment pass if they spot the off road lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

work wrote: »
    Never heard of GoBus. I do find bus drivers coming from the country are often terrible toward cyclists. Is it because they are used to moving more freely in the country and do not readjust to the city?
    It is really scary what he did, if filmed consider reporting etc etc...

I suppose when you get to the city after travelling there on the motorway, you don't switch back to urban speeds that readily.

Sometimes when drivers beep from behind, I find that I have to slow and stop, and turn round to make sure I fully understand what they are trying to communicate. It can sometimes take quite a while to understand what they are saying through the windscreen, with all the traffic noise.

you clearly have a lot of free time, and some crazy ideas. you're going to spot a red mini and stalk it?
    like some sheriff in the dukes of hazzard, laying in wait in a layby for it to pass so you can roar out behind it to film it?
    do you actually realise what you're suggesting?
    Yes, what I'm suggesting is that it would be great for all users of that road if that driver experiences some kind of intervention to get them to change their driving style. I'd bet a fiver that if you spent half an hour there over three or four mornings, you'd spot the same driver and car as a first step on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yes, what I'm suggesting is that it would be great for all users of that road if that driver experiences some kind of intervention to get them to change their driving style. I'd bet a fiver that if you spent half an hour there over three or four mornings, you'd spot the same driver and car as a first step on that road.

I'd say there's a very high probability of coming across the same lad in the same car in the same place at the same time, and in all likelihood driving in the same manner . - Always amuses/intrigues me how habitual commuting can be and how aligned one's own commute is to others. Walking to school with the kids, it tickled me how often the same guy on a Ducati would drone under the M50 pedestrian bridge as we traversed it. A bike coming from God knows where, travelling at 100kph routinely coinciding with our 20 second bridge crossing. The slightest delay to tie a shoe-lace and we'd miss each other entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If it's any use, I walked home through Lucan village that evening and three red mini's went the other way. I didn't remember from the video the colour of the stripes or roof, but the lady driving 2 of them was messing with her phone. The third was parked at an angle causing annoyance to other traffic.
    Good luck narrowing down the search conclusively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement