Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I notice trump is scheduled to play tomorrow night in the welsh open. Don’t know if they’ll change it but it’s a bit ridiculous that it should happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Ali Carter comes across as an awful prick. Sitting there picking at his fingernails while Judd is making his acceptance speech. Very bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah Ali seems to be a bit of a prick at times. But he also gets sympathy for all the bad luck he has had with his health, and the way he has fought back against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Yeah Ali seems to be a bit of a prick at times. But he also gets sympathy for all the bad luck he has had with his health, and the way he has fought back against that.

He had no choice about the cancer or Crohn's. He did have a choice about his political beliefs and his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Ali is pro-Brexit, that plus his post-loss speech, and general attitude confirms prick status. Trump looked very impressive, but I still don't see him winning at the Crucible this year, unless he goes up another level. Honestly, I wouldn't even bet on him making the final.

Top 16 for the season after this tournament:

1. Mark Allen - £360,500
    2. Judd Trump - £274,500
    3. Mark Selby - £230,500
    4. Ronnie O'Sullivan - £225,000
    5. Mark Williams - £206,000
    6. Neil Robertson - £185,500
    7. Kyren Wilson - £174,000
    8. David Gilbert - £171,500
    9. Stuart Bingham - £135,000
    10. Jack Lisowski - £132,000
    11. Ali Carter £112,500
    12. Barry Hawkins - £108,000
    13. Joe Perry - £106,000
    14. Stephen Maguire - £105,500
    15. Jimmy Robertson - £105,225
    16. John Higgins - £101,000

John Higgins hanging onto his Top 16 position. The Welsh Open, Shoot-Out, and Indian Open will have an affect on rankings between now and the Top 16, Players Championship.

• Advertisement

thanks. Does anyone know how this 1 year money list is calculated? Just looking at Trump, he won the Masters, Northern Ireland and last night, and then there is the money he got for other tournaments, yet he is only on £274,500. Ronnie won the UK, and was in the final of the Masters but is showing as £225,000, again before we even add up a few quid in other tournaments as well.

Masters isn’t included on that 1 year list for obvious reasons so his real total would be closer to 400k I’d guess.

thanks. Does anyone know how this 1 year money list is calculated? Just looking at Trump, he won the Masters, Northern Ireland and last night, and then there is the money he got for other tournaments, yet he is only on £274,500. Ronnie won the UK, and was in the final of the Masters but is showing as £225,000, again before we even add up a few quid in other tournaments as well.
    The 1 year list (and the official 2-year ranking list) only counts money earned from ranking events. £1 = 1 ranking point. The Masters is a non-ranking event, so Trump's £200,000 for winning and Ronnie's £90,000 runner-up prize don't count towards their ranking status, just adds to their personal bank balance.

Ronnie this season also earned £200,000 for winning the Shanghai Masters, and £100,000 for winning the Champion of Champions, again, these are non-ranking events.

The Masters, Champion of Champions, and Shanghai Masters are the three big non-ranking events.

The 1 year list (and the official 2-year ranking list) only counts money earned from ranking events. £1 = 1 ranking point. The Masters is a non-ranking event, so Trump's £200,000 for winning and Ronnie's £90,000 runner-up prize don't count towards their ranking status, just adds to their personal bank balance.

Ronnie this season also earned £200,000 for winning the Shanghai Masters, and £100,000 for winning the Champion of Champions, again, these are non-ranking events.

The Masters, Champion of Champions, and Shanghai Masters are the three big non-ranking events.

Yeah thanks, wasn't thinking of that. This Coral series being ranking despite not being a 128 open draw threw me a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ali is pro-Brexit, that plus his post-loss speech, and general attitude confirms prick status. .

What did he say in his interview?

Higgins career on a knife edge. I can't see him dropping into the qualifying pool.
    I notice trump is scheduled to play tomorrow night in the welsh open. Don’t know if they’ll change it but it’s a bit ridiculous that it should happen.

Nope seems hes on at 7pm.

Thats what Ronnie was giving out about last year.

• Advertisement

Higgins still top 5 so even at current rate of decline I’d say he has another season as a top 16 comfortably in the bag if he desires. I don’t see him continuing outside of that myself, can’t see him as a jimmy or even a ken. Too much traveling involved nowadays to keep yourself in the top 16 and not much novelty in that for a guy like higgins.

The Nal wrote: »
    Nope seems hes on at 7pm.

Thats what Ronnie was giving out about last year.

I guess he doesn’t have far to travel from cheltenham where I imagine he stayed last night but still. After kyren had to travel to Belfast the day after a post midnight finish in the CoC I’m sure I heard a world snooker guy say that situation wouldn’t happen again but here we are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I guess he doesn’t have far to travel from cheltenham where I imagine he stayed last night but still. After kyren had to travel to Belfast the day after a post midnight finish in the CoC I’m sure I heard a world snooker guy say that situation wouldn’t happen again but here we are anyway.

Yeah but still has to get up, drive 90 minutes, check into the hotel, get to the arena, pot a few on the practice table etc and play again 20 hours after he just played a final.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah but still has to get up, drive 90 minutes, check into the hotel, get to the arena, pot a few on the practice table etc and play again 20 hours after he just played a final.

Agree. It seems like amateurish organisation. We get all these tournaments crushed together in february having had virtually 3 weeks in january with nothing. That’s if you don’t count the championship league whose existence I see no logical reason for, beyond the fact it’s a matchroom event so has to be squeezed in somehow to the detriment of other, more important tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone know how this event qualified as a ranking event considering it’s only top 32? I thought an event could only be ranking if all 128 tour players are eligible...

Everyone is eligible for the cut-off tournaments in that they all have the chance to qualify by earning enough points/money through the season. Same is technically true of the masters and other invitation events too, of course, but masters non ranking status is a tradition so they won’t mess with that.

It achieves an important balance I think, a sop to the top players who aren’t favored by the 128 draws and gives up and coming form players the chance to make further ground. One of the things that works well in the new structure I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Ah yes, and the Shanghai Masters doesn’t qualify for ranking status any more because 8 Chinese players are “invited”, not based on ranking points, almost like a wildcard.

And champion of champions doesn’t qualify on basis it’s a matchroom promoted event rather than a world snooker one. Ask me, though, how the shootout qualifies and I don’t have an answer. Just bonkers.

Yeah and when you are the top 8/10 player in the top 16, with this tournament, straight into Sheffield at the TV stages, the Champion of Champions and the Masters, there is a fair chunk of the season where you don't mix with hoi polloi.

I have even less sympathy with Ronnie's comments than I did before Christmas. God help them when they have to play the part time taxi driver for a couple of months of the year, there's a good number of tournaments where they aren't bothered by that, and they can take a month or more off at Christmas if they like (depending on how they go in the UK/bother with the Scottish Masters)

The Masters is a non-ranking event because it's based on a 2 year list, not a 1 year list like this Coral series. The Masters is not open to everyone during the current season, so it can't be a ranking event.

The Shoot-Out is ranking because it is open to everyone, but most of the official Top 16 skip it. Top prize is only £32,000/ranking points, but perhaps more importantly the winner gets a spot in the Champion of Champions.

• Advertisement

Yeah and when you are the top 8/10 player in the top 16, with this tournament, straight into Sheffield at the TV stages, the Champion of Champions and the Masters, there is a fair chunk of the season where you don't mix with hoi polloi.

I have even less sympathy with Ronnie's comments than I did before Christmas. God help them when they have to play the part time taxi driver for a couple of months of the year, there's a good number of tournaments where they aren't bothered by that, and they can take a month or more off at Christmas if they like (depending on how they go in the UK/bother with the Scottish Masters)

Ronnie does talk a lot of garbage at times, no question, but I still like the fact that he will stand up every now and again and raise a debate about playing standards and conditions. Nobody else seems willing to do it, maybe most of them are happy with things as they are but I think some are afraid to put their heads above the parapet. World snooker very trigger happy in doling out fines by all accounts.

The Welsh Open, Shoot-Out, and Indian Open will have an affect on rankings between now and the Top 16, Players Championship.
    Slight change on this, only the Welsh Open and Shoot-Out will affect the Top 16 rankings for the Players Championship.
    Note that the Indian Open does not count towards Coral Players Championship qualification, though it does count towards the Coral Tour Championship.

The second leg of the Coral Cup starts tomorrow evening on ITV4, the Players Championship. Best-of-11s until the finale, which is a best-of-19, and top prize is £125,000. Ronnie is the defending champion, having beaten Shaun Murphy 10-4 last year.

Here's how the top 16 players of the season are ranked (up to the Shoot-Out, not including this past week's Indian Open):

1. Mark Allen - £364,000
    2. Judd Trump - £277,000
    3. Neil Robertson - £255,500
    4. Mark Selby - £236,500
    5. Ronnie O'Sullivan - £228,500
    6. Mark Williams - £208,500
    7. Kyren Wilson - £177,500
    8. David Gilbert - £170,000
    9. Stuart Bingham - £167,000
    10. Jack Lisowski - £138,000
    11. Ali Carter - £113,000
    12. Barry Hawkins - £112,000
    13. John Higgins - £111,000
    14. Joe Perry - £107,500
    15. Jimmy Robertson - £107,225
    16. Stephen Maguire - £105,500

#1 plays #16, #2 plays #15, etc.

Round 1:

Mark Allen v Stephen Maguire - Monday, 7pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan (defending champion) v Barry Hawkins - Monday, 7pm
    Neil Robertson v Joe Perry - Tuesday, 1pm
    Mark Williams v Ali Carter - Tuesday, 1pm
    Kyren Wilson v Jack Lisowski - Tuesday, 7pm
    Judd Trump v Jimmy Robertson - Tuesday, 7pm
    David Gilbert v Stuart Bingham - Wednesday, 1pm
    Mark Selby v John Higgins - Wednesday, 1pm

An interesting dynamic in the Gilbert/Bingham match, where winning or losing will probably mean the difference in getting into the Top 8, Tour Championship event. Of course, if one of the players ranked #10-#16 were to win this event, they would knock out both Gilbert and Bingham of their Tour Championship chance.

There’s only a measly grand between Bingham & Gilbert as things stand but there’s still the gibraltar open to come as well. Not big money but every shekel counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie and Hawkins will do nicely for tonight's TV entertainment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Wow. Ronnie O'Sullivan tonight, an absolute w@nker of the highest possible caliber. To think Barry Hawkins had to help to respot the white with the ref, for Ronnie's shot, because Ronnie said "it wasn't his job", just wow. What an arrogant, ignorant, pr!ck.

It was poorly handled by him but it was fairly farcical by the officials. He couldn't really help because the replacement of the white was in a crowded area and he couldn't get close with his finger or cue to show where it was. Certainly looks up for it this week.

Ronnie's long game is horrendous. Not sure I've ever seen as bad.

Inviere wrote: »
    Wow. Ronnie O'Sullivan tonight, an absolute w@nker of the highest possible caliber. To think Barry Hawkins had to help to respot the white with the ref, for Ronnie's shot, because Ronnie said "it wasn't his job", just wow. What an arrogant, ignorant, pr!ck.
    That ref was extremely frustrating. Here's the incident in question:

Watch from around 2 minutes in, why is he dicking about with the red on cushion, when Ronnie never touched that red?

Also, here's Ronnie's post-match interview...in an Australian accent:

https://twitter.com/coral/status/1102697088721272833?s=21

• Advertisement

The officials made a bags of the whole thing and ronnie acted like a right diva, both of those statements are true. Doesn’t take much for camilleri to annoy ronnie at the best of times and he made a bags of that whole episode imo. Didn’t help that he must have inadvertently moved the red on the cushion, it was becoming a farce at that point as hendry said on the commentary.

Ronnie mixed the good with the bad last night. Hawkins had enough chances but failed to capitalise as is usual playing ronnie.

Advertisement