Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Will be away for the final. Witt the match be on the telly box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Deferred Coverage on TG4 after the Cork football final I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Neewollah wrote: »
    Deferred Coverage on TG4 after the Cork football final I think

Thank you. KCLR so.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

It was a bit of a slip up letting Michael fennelly go to offaly. Highly qualified man in s&c should have found a job for him in some roll.

my thoughts exactly. might have been the best move for MF as well to get some experience. We'll see. Hoping Offaly can get back to being competitive again. If he can do 1/2 of what EB has done with Laois, it would be great. I thought he'd be the perfect replacement for MD but best of luck to him & Michael C. in the S&C position.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

The style of play is different, but Carey says the biggest change in the last 15 years has been in terms of player fitness.

"They're athletes, it's as simple as that," he says.

"One time it was, 'we'll be able to get lads fit, we'll be able to get them a bit faster'. People would come back from Christmas with a bit of weight.

"Now it's be fit, and we'll teach you to hurl!"

"I remember being at an Ireland training session, and there's four lads on tablets looking at a collision, and then being able to monitor from the GPS as to where the heart rate is.

"That's the way the modern sport has gone. We're probably behind in Kilkenny, in terms of the whole modern system. We have to bring ourselves up to date."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/1015/1083586-dj-carey-admits-surprise-at-brian-cody-phone-call/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭conor05

robwen wrote: »
    The style of play is different, but Carey says the biggest change in the last 15 years has been in terms of player fitness.

"They're athletes, it's as simple as that," he says.

"One time it was, 'we'll be able to get lads fit, we'll be able to get them a bit faster'. People would come back from Christmas with a bit of weight.

"Now it's be fit, and we'll teach you to hurl!"

"I remember being at an Ireland training session, and there's four lads on tablets looking at a collision, and then being able to monitor from the GPS as to where the heart rate is.

"That's the way the modern sport has gone. We're probably behind in Kilkenny, in terms of the whole modern system. We have to bring ourselves up to date."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/1015/1083586-dj-carey-admits-surprise-at-brian-cody-phone-call/

I wouldn’t think Kilkenny are far off any other counties in terms of S&C. They outworked and outfought a Limerick teams who were supposedly the new Kings of fitness in Ireland. That’s energy sapping.

I think Kilkennys main problem is we have a few lads who are not as natural speed merchants as other teams. Our backs can look a bit slow at times especially against Wexford and Tipp this year.
    I know it is hard to train speed, a lot of it the luck of picking the right parents but it could be an area to look at.
    And as mentioned before a few more for the forwards willing to take the scoring load off TJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

conor05 wrote: »
    a lot of it the luck of picking the right parents but it could be an area to look at.

I agree, a kk hurling breeding program is the next step up. For many of us this will mean a lot less breeding. For some, it will mean a lot lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I agree, a kk hurling breeding program is the next step up. For many of us this will mean a lot less breeding. For some, it will mean a lot lot more.

DJ and the Downeys could have bred plenty of fine hurlers 😂😂😂

anyone know if the semifinal will be broadcast on any radio stations? I'll check KCLR of course but just curious if it's the best place. I know it's often just updates & I am in the states so can't just scan the stations easily. Thanks to anyone who replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    anyone know if the semifinal will be broadcast on any radio stations? I'll check KCLR of course but just curious if it's the best place. I know it's often just updates & I am in the states so can't just scan the stations easily. Thanks to anyone who replies.

You're probably already listening to it... But yeah, KCLR have it

https://twitter.com/kclr96fm/status/1185839822595858438

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Congrats to Dicksboro , County Senior Champions.
    Snatched a victory from the jaws of defeat yesterday in John Lockes over an under par Piltown team.
    A poor game overall, due to both teams cancelling each other out.

0-4 to 0-4 at h.t .
    Piltown hit 4 wides in a row early in the 2nd half, while Boro missed a couple of frees, but took what chances they were given.

Piltown leading by 2points with 29 mins gone in the second half, Boro hit a ball into the forward, who gets a touch and deflects it past a stranded Piltown keeper. Boro leading by 1pt into injury time, of which there was 8 mins.
    Piltown forward racing in on goal, take a point to level it? No, go for goal, keeper saves , its cleared and Boro score another point.

Final score - Piltown 0-8 Dicksboro 1-7.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Well done to the boro beating piltown.will be interesting to see if there are many new faces in camigie squad with the new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to loughlins yesterday.They lost a lot of players during the year and had to rotate their team nearly every day.Some very good young players on the way up.Conahy will rue the wides and it will be difficult for them to go on and represent kilkenny in the junior championship but hopefully they will park the result and it will benefit them.Is this the first time this happened in kk?
    O loughlins started well yesterday and had the shamrocks in real trouble but they gradually got into the game Mick fennellys presence around centre back was huge and Darren mullen was excellent.They have such a spread of scorers cody chipped in with a intelligent goal.Mullen chipped in with 1-4 it's just so hard shut them all down.They are really starting to motor again.
    The village beat them earlier in the year when they were down a few but traditionally the village dont fear the shamrocks hopefully it will be a good match.

Best of luck to eoin with the book.People including myself should stop and think before criticising lads.everyone wants to play their best.We dont know what goes on behind closed doors.Hope he is on the right road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    Well done to loughlins yesterday.They lost a lot of players during the year and had to rotate their team nearly every day.Some very good young players on the way up.Conahy will rue the wides and it will be difficult for them to go on and represent kilkenny in the junior championship but hopefully they will park the result and it will benefit them.Is this the first time this happened in kk?
    O loughlins started well yesterday and had the shamrocks in real trouble but they gradually got into the game Mick fennellys presence around centre back was huge and Darren mullen was excellent.They have such a spread of scorers cody chipped in with a intelligent goal.Mullen chipped in with 1-4 it's just so hard shut them all down.They are really starting to motor again.
    The village beat them earlier in the year when they were down a few but traditionally the village dont fear the shamrocks hopefully it will be a good match.

Conahy looked very poor yesterday. Very slow around the backs and midfield. Relying on Bergin who was very average yesterday too for a lad being talked up as senior inter county hurler.

Tough ask now to compete in Leinster, no enjoyment after losing the final yesterday. tough road back for them now

You're probably already listening to it... But yeah, KCLR have it

https://twitter.com/kclr96fm/status/1185839822595858438

yep, I just wanted to be sure, but thank you much. Great game. When a radio commentary keeps me glued to my 'radio', you know it's a good match. Ballyhale definitely starting to get into their stride, kinda like last year. Village v Shamrocks should be a battle. I'm looking forward to it.
    THANK YOU KCLR from Rhode Island!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Great game. When a radio commentary keeps me glued to my 'radio', you know it's a good match. Ballyhale definitely starting to get into their stride, kinda like last year. Village v Shamrocks should be a battle. I'm looking forward to it.
    THANK YOU KCLR from Rhode Island!

If only Michael Walsh could finally spit out that 'Ballyhale' hairball that has been
    choking him for a few years now......

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

GAAGO have it live. And it's free if you sign up for the trial or pay a fiver for match alone. You can opt out in the trial if you only need it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

Village87 wrote: »
    Conahy looked very poor yesterday. Very slow around the backs and midfield. Relying on Bergin who was very average yesterday too for a lad being talked up as senior inter county hurler.

Tough ask now to compete in Leinster, no enjoyment after losing the final yesterday. tough road back for them now

A young Conahy team did thereselves proud yesterday expierence makes a big difference, you seem to negatively criticise players teams if they keep together you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

It's live of TV. Plus it

• Advertisement

€15 for tickets sunday If bought in advance is great value for a senior and intermediate county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 niallhy

€15 for tickets sunday If bought in advance is great value for a senior and intermediate county final.

Are they for sale in Centra/Super Valu as I only see them on tickets.ie at the moment?

Best of luck to eoin with the book.People including myself should stop and think before criticising lads.everyone wants to play their best.We dont know what goes on behind closed doors.Hope he is on the right road now.

As the saying goes behind the face there is a person that you don't know what is troubling them.

niallhy wrote: »
    Are they for sale in Centra/Super Valu as I only see them on tickets.ie at the moment?

You should be able to get them in any centra, or supervalue try tomorrow, I actually got one in Dublin for the intermediate semi finals a couple of weeks ago when I was working up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Deferred coverage of the county final on TG4 from 17.40 on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

https://twitter.com/gaa_2019/status/1186291361965887489?s=21

For anyone who hasn’t already seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I'd rather see the Village win the final, just so the Ballyhale lads are free for the league. It would give the young Ballyhale lads important game time with the seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I'd rather see the Village win the final, just so the Ballyhale lads are free for the league. It would give the young Ballyhale lads important game time with the seniors

Well assuming a Kilkenny club makes it that far aren't the Club All Ireland finals on January 19 in 2020 one of the main reasons given for moving them was to avoid the situation of players missing the national league because they are playing club semi/ final

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

mullinr2 wrote: »

Club before County always.....the day club players do otherwise is the day
    the whole hurling structures collapse.

Would a Village win not have the same dilemma for Kilkenny, with Scanlon, Brassil, Browne etc

• Advertisement

You would also be minus John Donnelly or Padraig Walsh if either teams win on Sunday go represent kilkenny in the intermediate club final, hope its a fine day for the matches on sunday looking forward to it the best of luck to all four teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement