Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Commiserations on the semi final Realt, Good going to get that far so quickly.

Was amazing going, and Fingallians won it out anyway, so no shame in it. Jude's had bet Cuala on the other side of the draw, and we've never had luck against Cuala so would have been a big ask to play Jude's and win. Still, not bad going for a team in their first year at Junior A!

Back on topic...any chance this financial doping might trickle its way to Drimnagh Castle any time soon? We've never gotten a penny from Dublin GAA for anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Bonniedog wrote: »
    When did Kerry play Westmeath? Dublin have often played in Mullingar,

Point is that over 135 years Dublin could have played Westmeath in Mullingar or Milan, or Kerry played Clare in Ennis or Enfield.

Would have made absolutely no difference, whatsoever on almost 99% of those occasions.
    The difference is Westmeath beating Dublin for just the second time ever promted massive financial packages for Dublin to improve you in all areas. At least we know where teams stood pre financial crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The difference is Westmeath beating Dublin for just the second time ever promted massive financial packages for Dublin to improve you in all areas. At least we know where teams stood pre financial crisis.

Relationship between Dublin and Westmeath hasn't changed at all. And I thought the "doping" dates back to 2002? That was before Westmeath beat Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I grew up playing in a very big club at home and my experience was that while they have very good structures in place, the large numbers mean that while the best players are identified early the weaker ones gradually become more marginalised, because the resources just aren't there to help everyone. It's not that a smaller club is better resourced, but that they are forced to care about everyone who participates, because numbers are so tight. I certainly didn't feel a sense of connection with my club once I was in my teenage years. If I had played for a small rural club with 16 minor players (like the one that played against my club in a minor county final a few years back) I might have felt differently.

But I think the big clubs would feel very threatened if they thought a small club might start pulling some of those players away, even though they themselves can't really cater to everyone. Certainly when we were fighting for use of a pitch this was one of the reasons that club (I don't use their name anymore) named for not wanting to share.

It's a trade-off though, because as you say, big clubs are way better set up to do things like put coaching structures in place to help players develop into really serious athletes and intercounty players and stuff. But in terms of fostering mass participation the small clubs are beneficial too. I think both are needed, but there is no appetite among the big clubs in Dublin to really encourage teams that they would regard as their competition. It's understandable, and I think the big clubs everywhere would be the same (there is no good reason why there's only three clubs in Kilkenny City for example), but in terms of the future of the sport(s) I think a mix is needed.

Sad thing is that a lot of smaller clubs in Dublin have been let fold.
    Often the social element of clubs is overlooked.
    Clubs don't have to be winning silverware to be successful

Dublin GAA could do a lot more for clubs without their own pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sad thing is that a lot of smaller clubs in Dublin have been let fold.
    Often the social element of clubs is overlooked.
    Clubs don't have to be winning silverware to be successful

This was not overlooked in the 2018 Dublin Annual report.
    Where it hoped to develop 'cluster facilities' for a number of clubs.
    There was also a Club Leadership Development Programme for Clubs in which the Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, PRO of clubs receive training/upskilling on thier roles

http://uploads.dublingaa.ie/files/71035/dublin_gaa_annual_report_2018.pdf

Costello mentioned the unique difficulties Sports in Dublin have in particular land issues -

"Dublin cannot be allowed to become a city of concrete with no outlet for our youth to play sport and engage in healthy activities. I have previously mentioned the huge pressure that GAA clubs here face in terms of accommodating their growing membership and it is not a problem that is going to go away. Proper planning and provision is vital if Dublin is not to become a place to just work and sleep."

--

Also it was interesting to note that Parnell Park hosted 172 games during the year. But there was some giving out by Costello about fans leaving Parnell after thier first match was finished. Missing out on an attractive fixture in the second game. More promotion of games by clubs was called for by him.
    Personally I always stay for the two games if I can I like to get value for my money!

--

In light of the Metro Link threatening to bulldoze Na Fianna a study was carried out by Na Fianna assessing the clubs social value/impact.

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2019/05/na-fianna-social-value-report.pdf

According to Costello in the Annual Report - the Na Fianna study can be extrapolated to all clubs.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

And it was going so well!

Maybe some sort of financial fair play rules are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That's one hell of a profit they made and they don't have to do massive fund raisers either. You'd wonder how the GAA can justify funding so many Dublin coaches when they could clearly afford it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    That's one hell of a profit they made and they don't have to do massive fund raisers either. You'd wonder how the GAA can justify funding so many Dublin coaches when they could clearly afford it themselves.

And all with less turnover than Kerry, turnover for vanity profit for sanity😉

ArielAtom wrote: »
    And all with less turnover than Kerry, turnover for vanity profit for sanity��

How much did Dublin spend on mileage?
    How much free money do they get from HQ?

• Advertisement

How much did Dublin spend on mileage?
    How much free money do they get from HQ?

Deflect from the facts that Kerry turned over more. We could all do that, sure the cost of living in Dublin is so much higher!!!!!

Deflect from the facts that Kerry turned over more. We could all do that, sure the cost of living in Dublin is so much higher!!!!!

but their costs were not subsidised by GAA HQ and high profile sponsors

Neither were Dublins. If you bring games development funding into the county discussion you are factually wrong.

So Kerry Group are not high profile?????????? OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Neither were Dublins. If you bring games development funding into the county discussion you are factually wrong.

It's not factually wrong at all. Money for Games Development spares the county board from having to spend other funds on this. Money spent developing young players today will help club teams and inter-county teams a few years down the line. So it absolutely should be factored in.

As well as the Games Development funding, Dublin also receive millions more from from their sponsorship partners compared to other counties, and also received millions from the Irish government in the late 2000s.

Combine this with their huge population and their home advantage and it becomes clear that Dublin will need to be split to help level the inter-county playing field.

So Kerry Group are not high profile?????????? OK.

High profile, but whats the actual monetary contribution from them?
    Not compared to AIG, and the 15 other sponsors involved

gaffer91 wrote: »
    It's not factually wrong at all. Money for Games Development spares the county board from having to spend other funds on this. Money spent developing young players today will help club teams and inter-county teams a few years down the line. So it absolutely should be factored in.

As well as the Games Development funding, Dublin also receive millions more from from their sponsorship partners compared to other counties, and also received millions from the Irish government in the late 2000s.

Combine this with their huge population and their home advantage and it becomes clear that Dublin will need to be split to help level the inter-county playing field.

The monies were for games development, no amount of deflection can change that. The population was always bigger. Success always attracts sponsorship. Now if you can actually give a structured way to deal with your perceived injustices instead of posting the same thing time and time again.

High profile, but whats the actual monetary contribution from them?
    Not compared to AIG, and the 15 other sponsors involved
    Kerry Group have pumped millions into Kerry football over the years.

The monies were for games development, no amount of deflection can change that. The population was always bigger. Success always attracts sponsorship. Now if you can actually give a structured way to deal with your perceived injustices instead of posting the same thing time and time again.

The monies for game development were unfair and helped the senior team, no amount of deflection can change that.

The population was always bigger and was such a statistical outlier that it alone was grounds for a split, never mind anything else.

The sponsorship should be shared between all counties. It's a community sporting organisation with an amateur ethos.

I have a structured away of dealing with the injustices- split Dublin into four teams, pool sponsorship money centrally and distribute evenly to all counties. I'll stop arguing the point when people stop posting the same debunked rubbish back to me.

The monies for game development were unfair and helped the senior team, no amount of deflection can change that.

The population was always bigger and was such a statistical outlier that it alone was grounds for a split, never mind anything else.

The sponsorship should be shared between all counties. It's a community sporting organisation with an amateur ethos.

I have a structured away of dealing with the injustices- split Dublin into four teams, pool sponsorship money centrally and distribute evenly to all counties. I'll stop arguing the point when people stop posting the same debunked rubbish back to me.

Splitting in four sounds easy, can go clearly define regions? Some have very little GAA activity in comparison to others.
    Sponsorship is interesting. Dublin have in place systems to secure their sponsorship, who are you proposing pays for this? It sounds really easy when you type it, but in reality it is hard to deploy, splitting will also kill the county game. Would you really get the same pleasure in beating Dublin West???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

People from outside Dublin would be best to accept that this Dublin team is the closest thing to unbeatable you will ever see and just act accordingly: take up other pursuits that bring enjoyment if intercounty football doesn’t.

Splitting in four sounds easy, can go clearly define regions? Some have very little GAA activity in comparison to others.
    Sponsorship is interesting. Dublin have in place systems to secure their sponsorship, who are you proposing pays for this? It sounds really easy when you type it, but in reality it is hard to deploy, splitting will also kill the county game. Would you really get the same pleasure in beating Dublin West???

It sounds easy because it is easy. Split regions can be organised by some combination of geography, population and current playing numbers per locality.

The sponsorship could be pooled centrally and distributed equitably for all counties to benefit. Paying for the "systems" is easily surmountable- you just want it not to be because you want the current unfairness favouring Dublin to continue.

Not splitting is what will kill the county game- it's obvious to everyone outside Dublin that the current state of affairs is grossly unfair and interest is waning correspondingly. And as I've explained to you before, a split would actually help the game in Dublin. Dublin derbies and more Dubs challenging for Sam Maguire are things most Dubs would quickly row in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some counties will just waste the money anyway. Take a look at Mayo.

In 2019 on a turnover of €3.5m, they spend half of that on the county teams. Half of all of Mayo's money got spent on the county teams, and they spend more on the county teams than any other county not in the hurling round-robin. The Mayo county board have no interest in player development. The foundation wants to spend money on a centre for youth development but the board want to splurge the money elsewhere.

Why would you take money off a county like Dublin, which spends it wisely on games development and juvenile participation, and give it to a county like Mayo who fritter the money all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

blanch152 wrote: »

In 2019 on a turnover of €3.5m, they spend half of that on the county teams. Half of all of Mayo's money got spent on the county teams, and they spend more on the county teams than any other county not in the hurling round-robin. The Mayo county board have no interest in player development. The foundation wants to spend money on a centre for youth development but the board want to splurge the money elsewhere.

Why would you take money off a county like Dublin, which spends it wisely on games development and juvenile participation, and give it to a county like Mayo who fritter the money all away.

A huge amount of which is used up on travel expenses and catering something Dublin don't need to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin players don't eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Dublin players don't eat.

They don't have the same catering expenses no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I s'pose. They wouldn't be as fat as some other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I s'pose. They wouldn't be as fat as some other teams.

Lol :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

monies in the long term were unfair but when population of Dublin is as big as it is then it needs huge amount of games development funding
    While there should be some shared resources you cant simply say everything should be shared.

It's ridiculous to say Dublin should be split in 4. How do you propose to do that? Should Kerry because they dominate Munster so much and are as successful in all Ireland...

You cant distribute everything evenly
    Dots1982 wrote: »
    People from outside Dublin would be best to accept that this Dublin team is the closest thing to unbeatable you will ever see and just act accordingly: take up other pursuits that bring enjoyment if intercounty football doesn’t.
    fair enough. :D
    It sounds easy because it is easy. Split regions can be organised by some combination of geography, population and current playing numbers per locality.

The sponsorship could be pooled centrally and distributed equitably for all counties to benefit. Paying for the "systems" is easily surmountable- you just want it not to be because you want the current unfairness favouring Dublin to continue.

Not splitting is what will kill the county game- it's obvious to everyone outside Dublin that the current state of affairs is grossly unfair and interest is waning correspondingly. And as I've explained to you before, a split would actually help the game in Dublin. Dublin derbies and more Dubs challenging for Sam Maguire are things most Dubs would quickly row in behind.
    it isnt grossly unfair. Yes Dublin have lot of advantages but they get best out of what they have. They run a very good ship which plenty other counties dont if we are being honest. A split in Dublin wouldnt be good for the game. What would happen if both Dublin sides started dominating leinster at least.

• Advertisement

Have you any idea how ridiculous your argument is? Seriously.

You're saying that because one county may or not have wasted money, it justifies Dublin being overfunded compared to everyone else in perpetuity? When they already have many other advantages? Absolutely absurd.

If money was divided equitably, even if other counties did piss it away, it would still be fairer and better for the GAA in those counties than the status quo, where Dublin get the lion's share of money and everyone else gets much less.

monies in the long term were unfair but when population of Dublin is as big as it is then it needs huge amount of games development funding
    While there should be some shared resources you cant simply say everything should be shared.

The population alone is grounds for a split (albeit pre financial doping I'd have been in favour of a two way rather than a four way split) not more money. Dublin are overfunded even when the population is accounted for- per head of population, per registered player. So it's unfair whichever way you look at it.

But you should already know this- it's been explained to you personally countless times already on this very thread.

When reading a post (or indeed any article/ book/ opinion piece etc for your general reference), you should actually try to retain and analyse the information.

It's ridiculous to say Dublin should be split in 4. How do you propose to do that? Should Kerry because they dominate Munster so much and are as successful in all Ireland...

It's ridiculous to say Dublin shouldn't be split in four. How I propose to do it is simple- split them in four. Use a combination of geography, population and playing numbers.

How many times does it have to be explained about the Kerry/ Kilkenny comparison? It's not just the fact Dublin are winning, it's the fact they are doing it from an unfairly advantaged position. Please try to actually read and retain this information to stop you posting this nonsense once again.

it isnt grossly unfair. Yes Dublin have lot of advantages but they get best out of what they have. They run a very good ship which plenty other counties dont if we are being honest. A split in Dublin wouldnt be good for the game. What would happen if both Dublin sides started dominating leinster at least.

You say it isn't grossly unfair and then in the very next sentence acknowledge that Dublin have a lot of advantages. The direct contradiction is unbelievable.

A split in Dublin absolutely would be terrific for the game, including in Dublin, for the reasons I explained in my last post. The inter- county game is slowly dying currently with reduced interest and attendances year on year.

Also, you realise Dublin have already killed Leinster as a competitive competition? So if two Dublin subdivisions started dominating it would be a significant improvement compared to what the lie of the land is currently, where Dublin are strolling to victory every year.

The population alone is grounds for a split (albeit pre financial doping I'd have been in favour of a two way rather than a four way split) not more money. Dublin are overfunded even when the population is accounted for- per head of population, per registered player. So it's unfair whichever way you look at it.

But you should already know this- it's been explained to you personally countless times already on this very thread.

When reading a post (or indeed any article/ book/ opinion piece etc for your general reference), you should actually try to retain and analyse the information.

It's ridiculous to say Dublin shouldn't be split in four. How I propose to do it is simple- split them in four. Use a combination of geography, population and playing numbers.

How many times does it have to be explained about the Kerry/ Kilkenny comparison? It's not just the fact Dublin are winning, it's the fact they are doing it from an unfairly advantaged position. Please try to actually read and retain this information to stop you posting this nonsense once again.

You say it isn't grossly unfair and then in the very next sentence acknowledge that Dublin have a lot of advantages. The direct contradiction is unbelievable.

A split in Dublin absolutely would be terrific for the game, including in Dublin, for the reasons I explained in my last post. The inter- county game is slowly dying currently with reduced interest and attendances year on year.

Also, you realise Dublin have already killed Leinster as a competitive competition? So if two Dublin subdivisions started dominating it would be a significant improvement compared to what the lie of the land is currently, where Dublin are strolling to victory every year.
    splitting Dublin will not improve the quality of teams that many counties produce but the Dublin sides would still be very strong so where do we see an improvement? Who wins from that?
    Dublin shouldn't be split. Should we then split Kerry because of their rate of success? You cant compare Dublin to most counties. Most counties never have been competitive at provincial level nevermind all Ireland.
    Dublin have lots of advantages because of population, playing numbers they would have regardless of any funding. That alone would make them stronger than a lot of counties.
    The inter county game is changing and Dublin being so strong as they are is far from the main reason the inter county game has major issues.

splitting Dublin will not improve the quality of teams that many counties produce but the Dublin sides would still be very strong so where do we see an improvement? Who wins from that?
    Dublin shouldn't be split. Should we then split Kerry because of their rate of success? You cant compare Dublin to most counties. Most counties never have been competitive at provincial level nevermind all Ireland.
    Dublin have lots of advantages because of population, playing numbers they would have regardless of any funding. That alone would make them stronger than a lot of counties.
    The inter county game is changing and Dublin being so strong as they are is far from the main reason the inter county game has major issues.

Did you actually read anything I posted? You *immediately* bounced back in with "why not split Kerry" when I gave reasons then (and have done many times previously too) why the two are different. You didn't respond to any of the issues I raised either.

Try to actually comprehend things before you come back blindly regurgitating the same tripe.

Splitting Dublin will help other teams by ensuring there is still a semblance of a competition to compete in rather than the uncompetitive farce which the All-Ireland is currently descending into. No-one will be watching in 10 years if things continue on their current trajectory. If you want to see the future of the All Ireland championship, look at the Leinster championship.

There are other problems with the inter-county game but Dublin are the main problem. Nothing else even comes close.

It's likely you won't read this post either but will come back with some combination of "no-one said anything about Kilkenny" or "Dublin have the best volunteers" or some other tired, debunked cliche.

Did you actually read anything I posted? You *immediately* bounced back in with "why not split Kerry" when I gave reasons then (and have done many times previously too) why the two are different. You didn't respond to any of the issues I raised either.

Try to actually comprehend things before you come back blindly regurgitating the same tripe.i

Splitting Dublin will help other teams by ensuring there is still a semblance of a competition to compete in rather than the uncompetitive farce which the All-Ireland is currently descending into. No-one will be watching in 10 years if things continue on their current trajectory. If you want to see the future of the All Ireland championship, look at the Leinster championship.

There are other problems with the inter-county game but Dublin are the main problem. Nothing else even comes close.

It's likely you won't read this post either but will come back with some combination of "no-one said anything about Kilkenny" or "Dublin have the best volunteers" or some other tired, debunked cliche.
    I saw what you said and it's clear you have an agenda I'm not from Dublin dont care about them
    Dublin are not at all the main problem and splitting them isnt going to help other counties. The all Ireland has always been dominated by a small number of sides.the leinster championship is poor. Standards have dropped. Teams not in or able to stay in division 1 of national league.
    Just weakening Dublin will not make standards of competition better. It's far more than that.

I saw what you said and it's clear you have an agenda I'm not from Dublin dont care about them
    Dublin are not at all the main problem and splitting them isnt going to help other counties. The all Ireland has always been dominated by a small number of sides.the leinster championship is poor. Standards have dropped. Teams not in or able to stay in division 1 of national league.
    Just weakening Dublin will not make standards of competition better. It's far more than that.

My only agenda is what is best for Gaelic Football.

Dublin are the main problem and splitting them will help other counties. The Leinster championship is poor because Dublin are dominant built on a platform of ludicrous advantages unavailable to anyone else.

Splitting Dublin is about ensuring the survival of the game at inter-county level. That's it. But a split will enhance the game within Dublin too.

• Advertisement

My only agenda is what is best for Gaelic Football.

Dublin are the main problem and splitting them will help other counties Kerry, Cork, Mayo and Tyrone.......The likes of Wicklow and Sligo can go f*ck themselves. The Leinster championship is poor because Dublin are dominant built on a platform of ludicrous advantages unavailable to anyone else.

Splitting Dublin is about ensuring the survival of the game at inter-county level fast-tracking the catching up that needs to be done by the other bigger counties, while hiding behind the facade of 'it's for the good of the game'. That's it. But a split will enhance the game within Dublin too.

Fixed your post there, chief.

Here's an idea. If we're talking about splitting Dublin to even the playing field, why not go the whole hog and split it into 8 teams, Cork into 3, Kerry into 2 and Mayo into 2? I mean, you want to make it fair on everybody, right, not just 'fair' for the chasing pack.....correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have you any idea how ridiculous your argument is? Seriously.

You're saying that because one county may or not have wasted money, it justifies Dublin being overfunded compared to everyone else in perpetuity? When they already have many other advantages? Absolutely absurd.

If money was divided equitably, even if other counties did piss it away, it would still be fairer and better for the GAA in those counties than the status quo, where Dublin get the lion's share of money and everyone else gets much less.

This issue shouldn't be clogging up this thread, as there is a separate Dublin dominance thread, so this is my last contribution.

The point I am making is that there are competent county boards like Dublin and completely incompetent county boards like Mayo. It is not a question of whether Mayo/Galway/Cork wasted money or not, it is a question of how badly did they waste money.

Dublin are not being overfunded in 2019. The money they are now receiving in respect of games development is proportionate to the population in Dublin, as it should be for addressing juvenile participation.

It is not the fault of the Dublin County Board, or the Dublin players, or the Dublin fans, that the Mayo County Board spends more on its county teams than any other county, which is half their income, and ignores juvenile development as a result. Even Tim O'Leary can see that the money is being wasted in Mayo. How can anyone say it is impossible to compete with Dublin, when you see the waste of money in places like Mayo?

Fixed your post there, chief.

Here's an idea. If we're talking about splitting Dublin to even the playing field, why not go the whole hog and split it into 8 teams, Cork into 3, Kerry into 2 and Mayo into 2? I mean, you want to make it fair on everybody, right, not just 'fair' for the chasing pack.....correct?

Kerry, Cork, Mayo or any other county don't have the unfair advantages that Dublin have. That's why Dublin need to be split- it's not just the fact they are winning, it's the fact they are doing so from an unfairly advantaged position. This has been explained many, many times. These advantages include, but are not limited to- massive population, massive funding advantage, playing almost all consequential games at home.

To put it simply for you so that it may finally sink into your brain:
    winning fairly = not a problem; winning unfairly = big problem. Dublin are winning unfairly.

A split would help every county (including Dublin) by ensuring there is still a competition with prestige that people watch and attend and are interested in. No-one will be watching Gaelic Football in 10 years as Dublin will continue to dominate helped by the ludicrous advantages listed above. So a split will be good for "bigger" counties (including Dublin) and "smaller" counties

I would previously have been in favour of only a two way split on population grounds but because of the residual effects of the massive cash injection over the last 15 years (unavailable to anyone else) a four way split is now necessary.

This issue shouldn't be clogging up this thread, as there is a separate Dublin dominance thread, so this is my last contribution.

The point I am making is that there are competent county boards like Dublin and completely incompetent county boards like Mayo. It is not a question of whether Mayo/Galway/Cork wasted money or not, it is a question of how badly did they waste money.

Dublin are not being overfunded in 2019. The money they are now receiving in respect of games development is proportionate to the population in Dublin, as it should be for addressing juvenile participation.

It is not the fault of the Dublin County Board, or the Dublin players, or the Dublin fans, that the Mayo County Board spends more on its county teams than any other county, which is half their income, and ignores juvenile development as a result. Even Tim O'Leary can see that the money is being wasted in Mayo. How can anyone say it is impossible to compete with Dublin, when you see the waste of money in places like Mayo?

So, like I said in my last post to you, your argument is that because one county board may or may not have wasted money, Dublin should be overfunded relative to everyone else, permanently? Got it. This includes being overfunded relative to competently run county boards as well.

So we've established your argument is still absurd. The simple counterargument is: Mayo wasting money does not justify Dublin's .overfunding relative to everyone else, either now or in the past

Dublin are being overfunded in 2019. Include sponsorship deals. Games Development funding needs to factor in long term averages too as a year or two of something approaching funding equalisation won't matter- the residual effects of the financial doping will linger for many years. Hence the urgency to split Dublin to help Gaelic Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

So, like I said in my last post to you, your argument is that because one county board may or may not have wasted money, Dublin should be overfunded relative to everyone else, permanently? Got it. This includes being overfunded relative to competently run county boards as well.

So we've established your argument is still absurd. The simple counterargument is: Mayo wasting money does not justify Dublin's .overfunding relative to everyone else, either now or in the past

Dublin are being overfunded in 2019. Include sponsorship deals. Games Development funding needs to factor in long term averages too as a year or two of something approaching funding equalisation won't matter- the residual effects of the financial doping will linger for many years. Hence the urgency to split Dublin to help Gaelic Games.

It’s Christmas, calm down

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    It’s Christmas, calm down

This is how I relax.

Kerry, Cork, Mayo or any other county don't have the unfair advantages that Dublin have.

My point is that they do have those advantages over the 'smaller' counties. How much more funding do Mayo receive vs Roscommon? What about their population advantage vs Leitrim, or Kerry's sponsorship vs Laois sponsorship?

All this "level playing field" is just a smokescreen for begrudgery at being left behind. It's harder for Mayo or Kerry to win an AI, but what about Wicklow? If Dublin were banned from next year's AI, what difference would that make to their chances of even getting to a QF?

If you really wanted to make it fair, you'd split everyone on the same criteria. Instead, you just want to hobble Dublin so that the other contenders can catch up more easily. Like the other poster said, it's Christmas take a chill pill, have a drink. Every post you've made in the last 4 months was about Dublin. Take a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

This is how I relax.

Really ? after 4 months of non stop whinging I would never have guessed that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

My point is that they do have those advantages over the 'smaller' counties. How much more funding do Mayo receive vs Roscommon? What about their population advantage vs Leitrim, or Kerry's sponsorship vs Laois sponsorship?

All this "level playing field" is just a smokescreen for begrudgery at being left behind. It's harder for Mayo or Kerry to win an AI, but what about Wicklow? If Dublin were banned from next year's AI, what difference would that make to their chances of even getting to a QF?

If you really wanted to make it fair, you'd split everyone on the same criteria. Instead, you just want to hobble Dublin so that the other contenders can catch up more easily. Like the other poster said, it's Christmas take a chill pill, have a drink. Every post you've made in the last 4 months was about Dublin. Take a break.

You will never ever balance the championship to the point where you give everyone the same chance to win it. When last did Wicklow have a realistic shot at Sam? I think the only way to deal with that is make the league the main competition over the summer, giving the smaller counties a chance of success against teams at their own level. Put a system in place that allows them to progress incrementally then through underage coaching etc.

We will probably know over the next five years whether Dublin’s dominance is systematic or merely the impact of a great team. If they keep a stranglehold on the championship in the medium term then you can expect calls for change to grow even louder. Splitting them would be absolutely the last resort though.

Funding should be pooled and equalised regardless of any other changes. Current expenditure on teams could be looked at too to help level things somewhat, maybe after mileage, number of matches etc are accounted for. But Dublin would still need to be split. The residual effects of the financial doping for the last 15 years will last for years to come.

Feel free to look up the answers yourself to the questions you have posed- what I will tell you is that Dublin receive significantly more than everyone else- both from the GAA, from the government and from their sponsors. This has been well documented on this thread and others so I'm not going to comb through it again for you. Combine this with their other advantages and it's obvious they need to be split.

Also Dublin wouldn't be "banned", they'd be split. There would actually be more players from Dublin than ever before challenging for the All-Ireland.

With Wicklow, splitting Dublin wouldn't help them getting to a quarter final as quarter finals don't exist anymore. But it may help them get to the super 8s for instance by ensuring that there is still a functioning competition for years to come. There won't be if the Dublin problem continues.

Like I said before, it's the combination of funding + population + other advantages that mean Dublin need to be split four ways- not any of these things individually. EDIT: well the population alone is grounds for a split, but by itself, a two way split would probably be sufficient.

Funding should be pooled and equalised regardless of any other changes. Current expenditure on teams could be looked at too to help level things somewhat, maybe after mileage, number of matches etc are accounted for. But Dublin would still need to be split. The residual effects of the financial doping for the last 15 years will last for years to come.

Feel free to look up the answers yourself to the questions you have posed- what I will tell you is that Dublin receive significantly more than everyone else- both from the GAA, from the government and from their sponsors. This has been well documented on this thread and others so I'm not going to comb through it again for you. Combine this with their other advantages and it's obvious they need to be split.

Also Dublin wouldn't be "banned", they'd be split. There would actually be more players from Dublin than ever before challenging for the All-Ireland.

With Wicklow, splitting Dublin wouldn't help them getting to a quarter final as quarter finals don't exist anymore. But it may help them get to the super 8s for instance by ensuring that there is still a functioning competition for years to come. There won't be if the Dublin problem continues.

Like I said before, it's the combination of funding + population + other advantages that mean Dublin need to be split four ways- not any of these things individually. EDIT: well the population alone is grounds for a split, but by itself, a two way split would probably be sufficient.
    how much of funding should be equalised. Bearing in mind size differences, playing number differences between counties?
    Dublin splitting will not make majority of counties any bit more competitive and in many respects makes many smaller counties life harder as a split Dublin side would still most likely be that bit stronger than them.
    Dublin getting more from their sponsors is because their staff are good at what they do and they have been successful.
    Wicklow and other weaker counties wouldnt have been near a super8s and splitting Dublin will not make it any easier. Suggesting Dublin be split is avoiding the real questions like why have so many counties who used to challenge stopped doing so and what needs to change within those counties be it underage squads, club level or anything else to see an improvement in senior inter county side

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Mayo receive less games development funding than Galway, Roscommon & Sligo and only slightly more than Leitrim despite the huge difference in population. Dublin are the only outlier when it comes to central GAA funding.

how much of funding should be equalised. Bearing in mind size differences, playing number differences between counties?
    Dublin splitting will not make majority of counties any bit more competitive and in many respects makes many smaller counties life harder as a split Dublin side would still most likely be that bit stronger than them.
    Dublin getting more from their sponsors is because their staff are good at what they do and they have been successful.
    Wicklow and other weaker counties wouldnt have been near a super8s and splitting Dublin will not make it any easier. Suggesting Dublin be split is avoiding the real questions like why have so many counties who used to challenge stopped doing so and what needs to change within those counties be it underage squads, club level or anything else to see an improvement in senior inter county side

The teams I was referring to in my last post were senior inter-county teams, my apologies, I should have made that more clear.

Overall funding could indeed factor in population, playing numbers, historical funding and other things.

Splitting Dublin will make other counties competitive as it will ensure there is still a meaningful competition for them to actually compete in.

Dublin are getting more from their sponsors because they have the largest population and market.

The real question is the Dublin problem and splitting them is the answer. There are other problems with Gaelic Football at present but nothing else even comes close. What needs to change for other counties is for Dublin to be split and other issues to be dealt with subsequent to that single, most important change.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

No interest in player development?! Ffs.

There are 4 full time coaches in Mayo and 2 part time. Mayo get 65k per year of games development funding which only covers 2 salaries. The county board has to find the rest of the money elsewhere.

As you well know, Dublin receive 1.6 million per year from Croke Park, enough to pay around 50 full time coaches. Please leave mayo out of your rants in future.

The teams I was referring to in my last post were senior inter-county teams, my apologies, I should have made that more clear.

Overall funding could indeed factor in population, playing numbers, historical funding and other things.

Splitting Dublin will make other counties competitive as it will ensure there is still a meaningful competition for them to actually compete in.

Dublin are getting more from their sponsors because they have the largest population and market.

The real question is the Dublin problem and splitting them is the answer. There are other problems with Gaelic Football at present but nothing else even comes close. What needs to change for other counties is for Dublin to be split and other issues to be dealt with subsequent to that single, most important change.

This is the crux of the matter. It is your perception that Dublin are the problem. Mayo and Kerry have put it up to Dublin in recent AI finals. So the population argument falls there, funding as you keep denying has been for games development and not for the senior team. You can put forward flawed arguments about freeing up funds for same, but the fact of the matter is that games development funding is exactly that. You keep posting the same factually wrong argument.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement