Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks all.

I am completely new into this area of woods and I will get the Ashwood so. But before that I need to buy a garden storage.

How's this garden box?
    https://www.diy.com/departments/keter-store-it-out-ultra-wood-effect-plastic-bike-store/7290106922471_BQ.prd

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah as the other poster said birch will burn quicker than ask or oak so you get less heat overall. Also silver birch can be sparky with little pops and explosions when the bark burns, which is probably not good for stove glass doors in the long term.

If you're spending 250 on a supply for the winter its worth spending the extra 20 quid to get oak or ash IMO. Have a google around, you might find some other supplier that is doing 1.2m3 of oak or ash for 250, they were last year but prices seem to have crept up somewhat this year. Just make sure they are advertising it as kiln dried to less than 20% moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thanks all.

I am completely new into this area of woods and I will get the Ashwood so. But before that I need to buy a garden storage.

How's this garden box?
    https://www.diy.com/departments/keter-store-it-out-ultra-wood-effect-plastic-bike-store/7290106922471_BQ.prd

That’s big money

Knock up a few pallets and some tarp
    Or get a wooden storage unit like I linked the other day, they can be purchased on eBay quite cheaply

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The bike store you linked is 2.6m3 so more than enough room to hold 1.2m3 of logs. But agree its pretty expensive at £262, would likely be about 300 euro in B&Q here.

This is the log store I have, it holds exactly 1.2m3 in two rows stacked well. iirc I paid 179 for it last year, it came flatpacked and took about 30 minutes to put together. Its open on one side but thats fine so long as you face it away from prevailing winds and rain. The bottom outside row of logs gets a bit wet with rain splashes hitting the ground and bouncing back up but its not a big deal.
    https://www.woodford.ie/product/log-store/

Otherwise this company sells a lot of logstores.
    https://www.vidaxl.ie/catalogsearch/result?q=log&sls=2
    I have an indoor one by them which is great but cant comment on the outdoor ones or how long they would last in Irish weather. Ive my own one varnished and weather sealed and will top that up every 2-3 years.

Whatever you're going for just make sure to calculate the cubic metres of it so you know the 1.2m3 of ash logs will fully fit inside it. Better to over spec it than under.

I have a big attic with loads of empty space.

Is it safe to store firewoods up in the attic?

You could but I wouldnt advise it at all. That amount of wood is going to weigh 400kigs+ and I doubt rafters in an attic are designed for withstanding those kind of loads, you dont want to be lying in bed and 400kg of logs comes crashing through the ceiling. It would probably also make your house insurance void from a fire safety point of view as there would be electrical cables running nearby. Also getting that amount of logs up and down attic steps would be a pain and you'll have dust and wood splinters dropping on the carpets below. No way would I do it myself, its asking for trouble from several different directions.

Its the one downside of burning logs compared to coal or briquettes. Logs are very bulky so need a fair bit of storage outside if you are buying them in bulk like a 1.2m3 crate. A log store or garden shed is definitely needed to store them, there lots of videos on Youtube of how to make them DIY for cheap if you want to go that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I built this easily enough from some 2x4, materials came in under 70 euro. There are lots of videos on Youtube with ideas.

I got the 189 euro pallet of ash and oak from Topline

530546.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Good job Double C

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Anyone else use wood briquettes? How did you find them? Are they ok on their own, i.e., no coal mix? Want to get away from coal.

Love them.

Huge heat output, hardly any ash to deal with.

You're right to get away from coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Anyone managed to get their hands on the topline crate in the Dublin region? What store did you deal with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Love them.

Huge heat output, hardly any ash to deal with.

You're right to get away from coal.
    Thanks. Which ones do you use?

Never having bought wood before I've no idea how much to get . Will order a pallet and see how I get on then know for next year.

Just to decide which one to get. I've seen Rocket Blaze and All Night Long mentioned, so probably one of those.

Wow this looks neat.

I am looking for a closed box so I can possibly store lawnmower also in it and few of my garden tools.
    Double C wrote: »
    I built this easily enough from some 2x4, materials came in under 70 euro. There are lots of videos on Youtube with ideas.

530546.jpg

https://www.diy.com/departments/keter-store-it-out-arc-plastic-garden-storage-box/653851_BQ.prd

Would this box be enough to store 1.2 m3 worth of woods?
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s big money

Knock up a few pallets and some tarp
    Or get a wooden storage unit like I linked the other day, they can be purchased on eBay quite cheaply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭POBox19

The capacity is 1200L, so yes.
    I've got net bags in a Keter midi and it keeps the logs very dry. But the sides and back distort if you stack logs up against them, so the doors or lid won't close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

I've a few bags of coal in steeltech shed stored since earlier in the year. Still in plastic bags.

I opened one up there and the coal at the top is fine but further down the bag there's some moisture. What happened?

How do should bags of coal be stored? I would've thought in a shed was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Double C wrote: »

530546.jpg

Is that the full pallet of topline logs in the picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

bailey99 wrote: »
    I've a few bags of coal in steeltech shed stored since earlier in the year. Still in plastic bags.

I opened one up there and the coal at the top is fine but further down the bag there's some moisture. What happened?

It's no issue having damp coal. I store my texan in the open. No problem burning it wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bailey99 wrote: »

It's probably just a bit of condensation , for coal shouldn't cause a problem .. or maybe the coal was wetish as it went in to the bag ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there much point getting kiln dried wood if you're just going put it in a log store ?

I was just looking at the coughlans website , and you can buy a dumpy bag of " seasoned ash " for 120 euro ,( delivered )
    Or a 1.2 m³ crate of kiln dried ash for 230, aside fr the volume difference between dumpy and stacked crate ,is the kiln dried gonna just take on moisture in an open fronted log store over winter .. ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there much point getting kiln dried wood if you're just going put it in a log store ?

I was just looking at the coughlans website , and you can buy a dumpy bag of " seasoned ash " for 120 euro ,( delivered )
    Or a 1.2 m³ crate of kiln dried ash for 230, aside fr the volume difference between dumpy and stacked crate ,is the kiln dried gonna just take on moisture in an open fronted log store over winter .. ?

The dumpy bag is a 'tonne bag' which are typically 80cmx80cmx80cm= 0.51m3 so its a fair bit less than 1.2m3 and the price reflects that. You'd need almost two and a half of those bags to make up the same volume as the crate so 300 all up if buying it that way.

As for moisture, I tested this a bit last winter and yes the logs will take on a bit of moisture with an open fronted log store. My meter was showing some logs close to the ground reached 26% outdoors as diagonal rain would splash them a bit. However Ive an indoor log store too beside the fire meaning most of what Im burning has been indoors 2-3 weeks before it gets used. When tested that way logs had gone back down in moisture with time, in general to 15-18% moisture after 2 weeks in the heat and 12-15% after 3 weeks with the odd few logs being even lower than 12%. Its just a cheap Aldi moisture I have so its not going to be 100% accurate but it was in the zone of what I want for burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

gooner99 wrote: »
    Is that the full pallet of topline logs in the picture?

Yes it's the full pallet, two layers of logs deep. The good fit around the little shelf I made for briquettes was a happy coincidence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Re a wood store, just use 4 pallets and put it against a concrete wall/strong fence that will allow the roof to be sloped.
    Use the largest gauge zip ties you can find and use them to lash the 4 pallets together. 3 if distance requires it. Use 5 pallets if you want to protect the fence or if you want to stop water runoff on the wall getting to the wood at the back. Get quality pallets, the sort they usually like returned. Use a heavy gauge tarp, I've used Lidl/Aldi car covers folded into 4 as the roof. Tied down tightly using the tarp rope. The worst storms haven't budged it in 3 years. Paint it the same colour as your garden shed etc. Looks grand.

gooner99 wrote: »
    It's no issue having damp coal. I store my texan in the open. No problem burning it wet.

Well that's not fully true. Moisture with burning coal creates an acid that attacks your chimney lining. Much like burning wet wood with coal. It'll burn Daddy-O, no problems, but its not a long-term plan for a chimney.

Thanks. Which ones do you use?

Never having bought wood before I've no idea how much to get . Will order a pallet and see how I get on then know for next year.

Just to decide which one to get. I've seen Rocket Blaze and All Night Long mentioned, so probably one of those.

Stove or open fire?

I've burned most wood briquettes on the Irish market. Rocket Blaze are unreal, Pini Kay extruded, so made with high pressure and the central hole aids burning.
    Ruf-type briquettes are excellent, as are Flamers from Westmeath. They've changed their process too so they're closer to extruded, unlike the Heat Logs style that Aldi and Lidl often sell.
    In the last year, Aldi has been stocking Ruf type briquettes in a pack of 7. I have my doubts over the quality of the wood. Not 100% hardwood.
    If you have space, get a pallet of two of Rocket Blaze and re-build the packs in your shed. If you haven't got proper storage, don't get wood briquettes. I stored 2 metric tonnes of loose ruf briquettes under tarp, on pallets, at the side of s house. They certainly pulled in moisture. Not much, as in they went from 5% to 10%. But that's still a shame. Why burn water?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Stove or open fire?

I've burned most wood briquettes on the Irish market. Rocket Blaze are unreal, Pini Kay extruded, so made with high pressure and the central hole aids burning.
    Ruf-type briquettes are excellent, as are Flamers from Westmeath. They've changed their process too so they're closer to extruded, unlike the Heat Logs style that Aldi and Lidl often sell.
    In the last year, Aldi has been stocking Ruf type briquettes in a pack of 7. I have my doubts over the quality of the wood. Not 100% hardwood.
    If you have space, get a pallet of two of Rocket Blaze and re-build the packs in your shed. If you haven't got proper storage, don't get wood briquettes. I stored 2 metric tonnes of loose ruf briquettes under tarp, on pallets, at the side of s house. They certainly pulled in moisture. Not much, as in they went from 5% to 10%. But that's still a shame. Why burn water?
    Stove. They will be stored in a garage.

Was wondering if the "All Night Long" are so called because they are long burning, or if the name is just marketing.

Think I'll go with Rocket Blaze. Very pricey though.

Thanks a million for the info. Big help to a complete novice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭waldo

Stove or open fire?

How do Rocket Blaze compare to Bord na Mona peat briquettes? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

FFVII wrote: »
    Mad money, alright. Thinking of chancing it. Hope it's worth it.

waldo wrote: »
    How do Rocket Blaze compare to Bord na Mona peat briquettes? Thanks

I would say far more heat from Rocket Blaze. I think they still do sample packs? You can check the amount of energy they produce (Mj) and them compare like for like.
    Importantly, as others have said, such little ash from wood briquettes. Turf, like coal, tends to give back a huge amount of ash. Sometimes feels like it's own weight again!!
    I find wood briquettes great for producing intense flame which can help denser woods like oak or blackthorn burn better in an open fire.

But then, I like to experiment with fire (sounds worse than it is!). Currently, I've sold on an Eco grate and now I'm solely using storage heater bricks to extract the maximum energy from small, hot wood fires, with some Arigna or Staffords coal nuggets interspersed. It's effectively a mini masonry heater or sort of rocket mass heater (without the rocket). Though I have experimented with a rocket stove and storage heater bricks to create a rocket mass heater in an open fireplace..!
    The intense heat of this storage heater brick firebox creates a sort of gasifier effect. Tremendous heat and combustion with little to no smoke.

Stove. They will be stored in a garage.

Was wondering if the "All Night Long" are so called because they are long burning, or if the name is just marketing.

Think I'll go with Rocket Blaze. Very pricey though.

Thanks a million for the info. Big help to a complete novice.

The trick with Pini Kay style briquettes is to open the damper and let them really combust then,when they're burning, close it down and they will glow. They're still solid when poked when they look burnt, whereas a compressed log that is not extruded like Pini Kay process will disintegrate when you poke at it and very often start to burn badly. The compressed ones WILL expand, thus they need careful watching in either an open fire or against glass. Rocket Blaze do not expand.
    I would be surprised if you got through a whole pack in a good (room heater) stove on a long evening from say 5 til 12am. So that's 3 months (96 packs) fires for yes a pricey 399. Obviously in an open fire or a boiler stove they'll go a bit quicker.
    If you buy some nice logs now, you can have them drying between now and Christmas and, when out in with the wood briquettes, along with a few coal nuggets, you may never want to leave your house again :D

The trick with Pini Kay style briquettes is to open the damper and let them really combust then,when they're burning, close it down and they will glow. They're still solid when poked when they look burnt, whereas a compressed log that is not extruded like Pini Kay process will disintegrate when you poke at it and very often start to burn badly. The compressed ones WILL expand, thus they need careful watching in either an open fire or against glass. Rocket Blaze do not expand.
    I would be surprised if you got through a whole pack in a good (room heater) stove on a long evening from say 5 til 12am. So that's 3 months (96 packs) fires for yes a pricey 399. Obviously in an open fire or a boiler stove they'll go a bit quicker.
    If you buy some nice logs now, you can have them drying between now and Christmas and, when out in with the wood briquettes, along with a few coal nuggets, you may never want to leave your house again :D
    Having second thoughts now. I've two stoves, one in sitting room (small size stove) one in living room/kitchen (medium size). Both will be going for the evening. Sitting room stove needs servicing or replacing, it's not closing off properly.

• Advertisement

I am a newbie in firewoods and thinking to order :

Sample bundle is made of 2 packs, ~ 20 kg (20 euros)

Would this be enough for 3 months if I light fire once a week?

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Will be lighting up the stove for the first time in life.
    FFVII wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Is this a good deal?

https://lawlessfuel.ie/product/574/

You're not thinking this through at all. That's 12 fires started over 3 months. You'll have enough for 2 sessions. €20 is a 35-40kg bag of coal nuggets. Spare that and you 'might' get 5 fires.

There will be 24 rocket blaze woods in 2 sample packs.

Do I need more than 1 rocket blaze on each occasion to light up the stove?

I was thinking to use 1 rocket blaze to get the fire going on and then throw in the Ash woods.
    You're not thinking this through at all. That's 12 fires started over 3 months. You'll have enough for 2 sessions. €20 is a 35-40kg bag of coal nuggets. Spare that and you 'might' get 5 fires.

Looks pretty good deal to me (as long as its genuine ad).

@Muahahaha can help you on this. I am learning from him.
    Blanco100 wrote: »

Blanco100 wrote: »

If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.

The advantage of the crate above is you have a ready made wood store
    You would need to make "roof" which overhangs the four sides by about eight inches. A sheet of an attractive ply would suffice. Over time the ply will delaminate , so a better approach is , battens , ply and mineral felt. Like a shed roof.

To make a permanent wood store , use pressure treated wood, , perhaps face off with shiplap
    Roof as above

If made properly , and if logs sacked neatly, a wood store can be attractive, and nice way to conceal an ugly block wall, and an addition to a garden

My roof overhang is about 5 inches, and I stack wet fresh wood. Depending on log split size, will be dry in 12 months

Looking like a pallet (96 bales) of rocket blaze won't be enough for my two stoves over the winter. Could I thin them out with something, not coal?

I would be grateful if you can advice what other items are needed to use stove. I am going to order Ash Wood, 1m3. What material would be best to light this kind of wood? Apart from lighter do I need any other tools? Such as wood cutting tool or are the woods are sold in small sizes that it can go straight to the stove?

Any other tips will be highly appreciated.

Have a great evening and thank you.

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    The advantage of the crate above is you have a ready made wood store
    You would need to make "roof" which overhangs the four sides by about eight inches. A sheet of an attractive ply would suffice. Over time the ply will delaminate , so a better approach is , battens , ply and mineral felt. Like a shed roof.

yeah provided you can get it into your back garden. In my own case I cant as there is a step up and also gravel to cross so those hand trucks with the metal wheels cannot deal with that. I think some companies deliver on a truck with a crane on the back that can crane it into your back garden but the one I use just has a tail lift on their truck. But yeah if you can get the crate into your back garden then it is a ready made log store that just needs a roof and some tarp to shield it from the rain. I cant so the crate ends up chopped up and I'll burn that wood too as its very dry.
    I would be grateful if you can advice what other items are needed to use stove. I am going to order Ash Wood, 1m3. What material would be best to light this kind of wood? Apart from lighter do I need any other tools? Such as wood cutting tool or are the woods are sold in small sizes that it can go straight to the stove?

Any other tips will be highly appreciated.

Have a great evening and thank you.

You'll need kindling and firelighters to get it started. A shovel for the ash and a metal bucket if you'll be dealing with hot ash. In general though hardwood doesnt produce all that much ash, I let it build up and clean it out around every 6 or 7 fires and its only about 4/5 shovels into a black bag when the ash has gone cold after a day or so. Unless you're lighting a fire every single day I dont see the need for a metal bucket, just let the ash go cold and then clean it out of there.

You'll definitely need a log tongs for moving burning wood around or the odd time a burning log falls against the glass door and needs to be moved. This is the one I have
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fireplace-Tongs-Grabber-Fired-Camping/dp/B087Z2WPX5/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=log+tongs&qid=1603830584&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFETEFKT1dIRURTUVkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5NjEwODVYTlAxMTMzRDJVSzcmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDA0NzMwNTFEUE5ZNlRWVFNHV0Umd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Make sure to get a tongs with long handles or else you'll burn the hands of yourself using one with the short hands.

Generally the logs are cut and small enough to be ready to burn. You will probably get the odd few that would benefit with being chopped in half with an axe. Id play it by ear though before investing in an axe.

Other than that some glass cleaner for the door. There are specialst products out there for stoves but Ive found normal glass cleaner does it just fine. Best way to do it is get some newspaper, make it slightly damp with a splash of water then dip that into some cold ash and scrub the inner door with it. The ash will remove the yellowish burn stains from the glass without scratching it. Then shine the glass up inside and out with glass cleaner and paper towels or more clean newspaper and its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I am burning the Rocket Blazers eco logs, along with Arigna Ecobrite in a 16kw boiler stove running 11 rads. Stove runs from 4pm till last loading 8pm every day from (usually start of October through to middle/end march)

Last winter (2018/2019) I burned one ton of Ecobrite and 85 bales of Rocket blazers (a pallet is 96 bales).

As An Ri rua has mentioned these wood briquettes are very good and most importantly, don't expand. This can be a danger with open or stove. It has happened to me when I opened the stove door and part of a burning briquette fell out. So I learned the hard way, not to overload the fire.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have tried nearly all types of compressed wood briquettes available in Ireland and I have found the Rocket Blazers to be the best.

They are not cheap but atleast I am not boiling water in the stove with moist logs. The Blazers are consistent reliable heat.

The only drawback is they must be kept dry. I have kept them in a covered leanto under a tightly straped on tarp and that worked perfectly.

All I can say is that these Rocket Blazers work fo me and I will continue to buy them.

I see that the Irish company in Mullingar, Flamers, has a new wood briquette called Flamer Shimada heat log that looks very like the Rocket Blazer. I must try a few as it would be good to support local and Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭deadduck

I was thinking to use 1 rocket blaze to get the fire going on and then throw in the Ash woods.

I’d be interested on experienced users thoughts on this too, as I’m planning to get a new stove fitted soon and was thinking about fueling it as masterboy has suggested

lenscap wrote: »
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

What's the best deal for smaller quantities? (I have yet to sort out storage unfortunately - and not likely to get to that soon).

The rocket blaze packs work out to about 6.5e/pack if buying the mini-pallet (24 packs) options.

I saw recently similar looking packs (not the same brand though) at TJ O'Mahony for 5.5e each, while they also have the MegaTherm beach log 10KG bags for 5e.

Given the price difference, should I just go with the ecoblaze briquettes from TJ, if I'm planning to spend less than 100e? Would they give out much better heat that the beach logs I wonder? (Or are they better mixed - the two fuels).

lenscap wrote: »

I see that the Irish company in Mullingar, Flamers, has a new wood briquette called Flamer Shimada heat log that looks very like the Rocket Blazer. I must try a few as it would be good to support local and Irish.
    I emailed Flamers asking how do their Shimada compare to Rocket Blaze. No reply, as yet.

• Advertisement

geo88 wrote: »
    What's the best deal for smaller quantities? (I have yet to sort out storage unfortunately - and not likely to get to that soon).

The rocket blaze packs work out to about 6.5e/pack if buying the mini-pallet (24 packs) options.

I saw recently similar looking packs (not the same brand though) at TJ O'Mahony for 5.5e each, while they also have the MegaTherm beach log 10KG bags for 5e.

Given the price difference, should I just go with the ecoblaze briquettes from TJ, if I'm planning to spend less than 100e? Would they give out much better heat that the beach logs I wonder? (Or are they better mixed - the two fuels).

Request the megajoules (MJ) or read it off the specs online or in the side of the packet. Then work out the MJ per kg, then work out the MJ per kg per euro.
    If at that small quantity, just buy a mix.

There will be 24 rocket blaze woods in 2 sample packs.

The important thing when starting any fire is to get a small, hot fire going. This is so as to create draft and to warm the stove itself. If not, it will rob precious heat from the combustion process when your burning air-dried wood.
    That involves dry kindling. And small pieces of wood. Rocket Blaze are extremely hard. You can bang them together and use their edges to break them where you need to, or else a hammer /back head of a hatchet etc. You cannot break these logs with your hand. They are long burning and no single log of any description will light easily by itself. You need to give fire channels to work through. Watch some videos of people filling fireboxes on YouTube or you will be wasting time and fuel.
    Yes, once you get a fire going, you can then add logs. But one Rocket Blaze is insufficient to get a good starter fire going. More like 4, either laid 2 on 2 or else broken into 8 pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

I've never seen the MJ being put on the labels for logs before - and sometimes it's very hard to find official figures on any websites unfortunately. It would be great if regulations mandated that though (unless I'm looking in the wrong place on the labels..).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

1m3 crate of ash firewood- €190

tonne bag of ash firewood- €85

which is the better deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Sorry if a dumb question, but is kiln dried wood ok to use in an open fire?

• Advertisement
Advertisement