Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

blackwhite wrote: »
    I've Platinum and the OH has Silver so it's not something that we encounter when travelling together.
    About 18 months ago we took her parents on a trip and there was no problem bringing them through - but I don't know was that down to one of us having a platinum card.

Depends on who you meet.

My boss had brought one of our clients into the EI lounge in Heathrow and i arrived on and they let me in too as they knew my boss from visiting the lounge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hard to believe this email from Aer Lingus today...

One million reasons to collect AviosWe are delighted that, since its launch in March, Pay with Avios has saved AerClub members an amazing €1 million on flights. 

So why not join the thousands of members who are saving money on their flights. The next time you’re booking a getaway on aerlingus.com or via our app, make sure to log in to your AerClub account and use your Avios to get money off the cost of your flight. Don’t forget you will also still earn Avios and Tier Credits on the booking so it’s a win-win!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice if possible please. I booked a family holiday (5 pax) in late July/early Aug but now need to change the flights and push the dates back by 1 week if possible. I'm an AerClub Platinum member and was hoping to get some relaxation of the €40 per person each way charge - €400 cost to change dates isn't appealing! I had used 82,000 Avios points as part of the booking also.

Spoke to someone on the Aer Lingus ticket desk while passing through Cork last week & they suggested I ring AerClub. Did so and spoke to the most unhelpful person I think I've ever dealt with, who basically said tough luck, unless I was Concierge!

Anyone having experience of making any such changes? I had booked Saver fares so presume I would get very little refund if I cancel and Avios points will have been lost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    I’m going to hazard a guess that booking Saver Fare may be the sticking point. I’m guessing that these fares have restricted flexibility, unlike higher fare classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is an Concierge benefit which wavies the change fees but not the fare difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Does anyone know how the bid for upgrade to business works ?

"Simply make us an offer to upgrade you on your transatlantic flight."

I'm travelling to west coast USA in September & the slider starting point has the minimum bid at Eur940 ?

I've heard others where the starting point (also to west coast) is as little as Eur400 ?

Does this minimum change as the flight date gets nearer/cabin occupancy rate emerges ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've gotten upgrades for cheaper than the minimum bid price just by keeping an eye on the site. Got an upgrade to New York for 300 euro one way last week and the minimum bid price was 490. You also get the full Tier credits benefit of flying business whereas you only get the economy tier credits when you win the bid.

Stark wrote: »
    I've gotten upgrades for cheaper than the minimum bid price just by keeping an eye on the site. Got an upgrade to New York for 300 euro one way last week and the minimum bid price was 490. You also get the full Tier credits benefit of flying business whereas you only get the economy tier credits when you win the bid.

Thanks - but how did you get it for 300 when the minimum bid price on the slider was 490 ? Did you call them up or what ?

"Upgrade to business class" is an option under "manage my booking"

Stark wrote: »
    "Upgrade to business class" is an option under "manage my booking"

Thanks - just tried that & it's +Eur2,007 one way !

Will check closer to departure date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I know I've seen the option before to Upgrade to business but I don't see it now, I checked in and then thought to look for it so too late now I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

tnegun wrote: »
    I know I've seen the option before to Upgrade to business but I don't see it now, I checked in and then thought to look for it so too late now I think?

Correct

Edit: United have a great system for upgrading in the airport on the way home, you can do it while checking in and pay at the machine. Usually get an upgrade for $600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

banchang wrote: »
    Thanks - just tried that & it's +Eur2,007 one way !

Will check closer to departure date.

The chances are that flight has almost sold all Business class seats so unlikely you’ll see it cheaper.

I think Thurs/ Friday flights to U.S and Sat returning tend to be ones with least demand for Business class

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

fellow AerClub sufferers.....do you think its worth paying €389 to upgrade to business class one way to JFK?

that's how much it costs to buy 20k Avios points, so combined with my existing 25k points, I'd have enough to upgrade (45k) using points. What you's reckon? Its a business trip, flying solo, job only covers economy class.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    fellow AerClub sufferers.....do you think its worth paying €389 to upgrade to business class one way to JFK?

that's how much it costs to buy 20k Avios points, so combined with my existing 25k points, I'd have enough to upgrade (45k) using points. What you's reckon? Its a business trip, flying solo, job only covers economy class.

That sounds like terrible value. You’d be paying 1.5 cents per Avios, when you’ll never get that much for redeeming them. Plus you’d now be dependent on there being availability for upgrade on your flight for Avios redemptions plus suffer additional taxes and charges. Is upgrading for cash through manage my booking not an option?

SB Morer wrote: »
    That sounds like terrible value. You’d be paying 1.5 cents per Avios, when you’ll never get that much for redeeming them. Plus you’d now be dependent on there being availability for upgrade on your flight for Avios redemptions plus suffer additional taxes and charges. Is upgrading for cash through manage my booking not an option?

thanks for the input - yes cash is an option but they are looking for north of €1k

thanks for the input - yes cash is an option but they are looking for north of €1k

€1k! Ouch! Before committing and buying Avios for that much money you’d want to be very sure that you’d snag an upgrade using them, which would be unlikely if the flight is very busy. If it’s a westbound daytime flight and the flat bed is not essential you’d be better off paying for express security and lounge access in Dublin, and for an emergency row seat and Bia Pre-Order meal. That would all be about €200 less than buying 25k Avios.

€1k! Ouch! Before committing and buying Avios for that much money you’d want to be very sure that you’d snag an upgrade using them, which would be unlikely if the flight is very busy. If it’s a westbound daytime flight and the flat bed is not essential you’d be better off paying for express security and lounge access in Dublin, and for an emergency row seat and Bia Pre-Order meal. That would all be about €200 less than buying 25k Avios.

Cheers. Have lounge access & fast track as standard, so I think I'll just leave it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Once the original economy booking has been paid, then there's no additional taxes and charges to upgrade to Business.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Once the original economy booking has been paid, then there's no additional taxes and charges to upgrade to Business.

Sorry, you’re correct. I was thinking of BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

If you have an Iberia Plus account that is at least 3 months old you can buy 20,000 Avios here for €259 and transfer them to your AerClub account.

https://www.groupon.es/deals/avios-24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Only took two weeks to get my Silver card from Aer Lingus!

VG31 wrote: »

If you have an Iberia Plus account that is at least 3 months old you can buy 20,000 Avios here for €259 and transfer them to your AerClub account.

https://www.groupon.es/deals/avios-24

As it happens I didn’t use/buy more avois but successfully bid €470 for an upgrade. Hope I get the business class tier credits & extra avios now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As it happens I didn’t use/buy more avois but successfully bid €470 for an upgrade. Hope I get the business class tier credits & extra avios now!

Pretty sure you don’t get them for the bid upgrades.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Pretty sure you don’t get them for the bid upgrades.

Correct, you only get tier credits and Avios for what you originally paid when you win a bid upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I think economy is bearable westbound. Eastbound on an overnight flight it might be worth it if you can afford it or value your sleep and can also spare the Avios you already have saved up

Gekko wrote: »
    I think economy is bearable westbound. Eastbound on an overnight flight it might be worth it if you can afford it or value your sleep and can also spare the Avios you already have saved up

after all that lads, I turned up for the flight, upgrade in hand, only to my horror, my ESTA was out of date. They couldn't issue me with a boarding pass.:eek:

Had to whip out the laptop in the airport and apply for a new ESTA...it took 20 minutes for me to get through the form and then the application was stuck in pending!

I was resigned to missing the flight, they told me the wouldn't/couldn't honour the upgrade on a later flight and plus I'd be hit with a E150 change fee....long story short I was frantically refreshing my browser while standing beside the "standy desk"...the staff were really sympathetic.....just as they were closing the flight for check in my ESTA magically was approved!!

Mad dash through security and immigration then ensued...was one of the last ones to board....and boy was I glad of the business class glass of champagne as I sat down to my seat.....pure relief....

Overall, the experience flying business was fine. Decent grub, loads of space, free wifi, staff excellent, had a little sleep too. Probably wouldn't pay it again but it was good to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

only to my horror, my ESTA was out of date
    how do they know at checkin ? Surely its not till CBP that you would discover that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

trellheim wrote: »
    how do they know at checkin ? Surely its not till CBP that you would discover that

They can't let you check in without a valid ESTA, Visa or US Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

My point is how would they know ? The ESTA is electronic , a visa and passport are physical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

trellheim wrote: »
    My point is how would they know ? The ESTA is electronic , a visa and passport are physical

The airlines get a feed of data from the US immigration to confirm lax have an ESTA to allow airlines to refuse at checkin.

Advertisement