Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Another Leinster vs Munster build-up/match thread Sat 24th April 7:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sebdavis wrote: »
    Munster have to go into this game as clear favourites

because....?

It will all depend on the teams named. If Leinster rest everyone for Europe, then Munster will be favourites.

As of now, Paddy Power has Leinster as 7-point favourites.

The inevitability of this match feels like the most recent Ireland v England game. I was expecting England to physically dominate Ireland as per usual. I'm expecting Leinster to physically dominate Munster as per usual... but we all know how that England game went

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster need the win far more than Leinster at this stage. I expect them to have as strong a team as possible while Leinster will be more of a mix n match side of recently injured players needing match fitness and some first teams needing a bit of extra sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Clegg wrote: »
    Munster need the win far more than Leinster at this stage. I expect them to have as strong a team as possible while Leinster will be more of a mix n match side of recently injured players needing match fitness and some first teams needing a bit of extra sharpness.

if leinster were considered to be distracted by europe last time they certainly are this time.

I'd wait and see what team selection is like before trying to call a favourite.

I'd expect a fairly mixed bag from leinster. Like if gibson park a doubt for next week there is no way Luke mcgrath plays this. Can't see Henshaw or Healy playing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The inevitability of this match feels like the most recent Ireland v England game. I was expecting England to physically dominate Ireland as per usual. I'm expecting Leinster to physically dominate Munster as per usual... but we all know how that England game went

Yeah but Englands form in the 6Ns wasn't great. A lot of people have overblown that win tbh. England were very poor, as they were for most of the tournament. Leinster on the other hand....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

FrannoFan wrote: »
    if leinster were considered to be distracted by europe last time they certainly are this time.

I'd wait and see what team selection is like before trying to call a favourite.

I'd expect a fairly mixed bag from leinster. Like if gibson park a doubt for next week there is no way Luke mcgrath plays this. Can't see Henshaw or Healy playing either.

Considering Leinster's biggest problem against Exeter was the awful start, I expect they will play close to their first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah but Englands form in the 6Ns wasn't great. A lot of people have overblown that win tbh. England were very poor, as they were for most of the tournament. Leinster on the other hand....

Completely agree. The narrative moved very quickly from how poor we were to how great we are. Very little reflection on how poor England were, and how many things went our way in that game. We were good alright, but remains to be seen how good we are.

England had their mid World cup cycle 'couldn't give a ****e' year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's back to normal service from them next season. They were dire against everyone bar France and I wouldn't read too much into our win against them (albeit it was great to turn that fixture around).

On the whole, we were good against a Scotland team that caused plenty of difficulty in the competition this year, we had Wales beaten bar for a moment of utter madness that cost us the game. We very nearly put France away despite some hugely problematic injuries and a couple of awful performances.

Jury is still out on what Ireland is trying to do at the moment, but the England game doesn't really answer any questions for me. Our set piece not being a shambles is the big success story this six nations, not the England game. We're able to create a platform now - when we figure out how to use it I'll start to have some expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

England had their mid World cup cycle 'couldn't give a ****e' year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's back to normal service from them next season. They were dire against everyone bar France and I wouldn't read too much into our win against them (albeit it was great to turn that fixture around).

On the whole, we were good against a Scotland team that caused plenty of difficulty in the competition this year, we had Wales beaten bar for a moment of utter madness that cost us the game. We very nearly put France away despite some hugely problematic injuries and a couple of awful performances.

Jury is still out on what Ireland is trying to do at the moment, but the England game doesn't really answer any questions for me. Our set piece not being a shambles is the big success story this six nations, not the England game. We're able to create a platform now - when we figure out how to use it I'll start to have some expectations.

I do agree with you but not sure what it’s got to do with Leinster v Munster :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think munster will have a great chance TBH, leinster will go through the motions, unless they pick fringe players who’ll be screaming to go on the plane to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

Leinster fans trying to be underdogs iv seen this before

• Subscribers Posts: 41,079 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nerd69 wrote: »

This isn't a final for us....

Our final will be at the end of May

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I honestly think a combined Ulster & Munster team would stand a good chance, if they are all playing at once. I mean it's 30 players against 15, they have to at least be competitive.

Not of JJ is kicking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »

It’s not exactly a final for Munster either tho, but for different reasons. A win would be a step in the right direction, but not much more given the recent history of the fixture, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And Leinster aren't in any finals yet anyway.

Shure we're just glad to still be in the hunt at the end of April, anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ya and the pro 14 final barely mattered to ye also

It turned out to be more of a training match than anything else

Based on the performance of the Munster lads, it didn't seem to matter to them either...

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

That is a very second string team from Leinster, thought they'd use it as more of a run out for the team to play La Rochelle.

Harry Byrne starting will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Not exactly 1st choice Leinster side, but 9 and 10 the only spots with guys who have not seen significant minutes.

Strong team with returning players getting a go and the big minutes players getting a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

That is a very second string team from Leinster, thought they'd use it as more of a run out for the team to play La Rochelle.

Hugh O'Sullivan doesn't inspire me with confidence.
    A very mixed selection overall, good to see Doris back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's what, two Leinster players in Lowe and Ringrose who you'd say are definitely first choice in the positions they're starting in? Doris is the only forward who is first choice. Munster have to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is on Eir presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There's what, two Leinster players in Lowe and Ringrose who you'd say are definitely first choice in the positions they're starting in? Doris is the only forward who is first choice. Munster have to win this.

Ryan Baird and Dave Kearney would both be strong candidates too in fairness.

But your point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Delighted to see Doris back. Ireland really missed him during the Six Nations.

And Leinster are finally regaining a little but if depth in the backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭theVersatile

JOD for Coombes is a weird one, as is the presence of Barron and Nash on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Munster going balls to the wall! Didn't expect that! I would think they should win this one. I was expecting to see Josh Wycherly and Crowley get the nod. I was thinking Knox would start , but it's good to see he's on the bench.
    Leinster trying to get the injured lads back into the running. I think it will be a good match. Probably a score between them.

Advertisement