Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Another Leinster vs Munster build-up/match thread Sat 24th April 7:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I can't see Leinster going full strenght! Why risk injury? I expect Healy to bench, Henshaw to be rested and maybe Keenan too. DK in for Lowe and JGP starting.
    Something like
    Dooley
    Treacy
    Porter
    Molony
    Fardy
    Murphy
    Penny
    Conan
    JGP
    RB
    DK
    ROL
    Ringrose if fit
    KELLEHER
    JOB

Cronin
    Healey
    Bent
    Toner
    SOB
    HOS
    HB
    TOB
    Still a good side!

Jack Dunne is injured (ankle) and Fardy is unlikely to start this weekend next week. So it depends on who they plan to start in the second row next week.

Leinster injury update
    https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/scott-penny-and-tommy-obrien-resume-full-training/?FixGuid=20LM3195

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Is anyone else more than a bit meh! over this competition? I can't say it's getting my juices going at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

All of the available Lions hopefuls will start this game I imagine. Both the players and the IRFU will want this.

All of the Leinster Lions hopefuls will be playing the following weekend. I don't see why they'd need to start in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No mention of Vakh. He was stepping up his training a few weeks ago. He's the kind of player i would like o see in the Leinster rotation for the Rainbow Cup. Props need a bit of sink, then swim, to coin a phrase. Porter was losing more battles than he won towards the beginning of Furlong's injury. But they had no choice other than to stick with him and look at how much he improved and benefited Leinster and Ireland.

Lots of talk about rotating the Munster squad but there's plenty of scope to rotate at Leinster too.

He started against Connacht A last weekend so hopefully he's just no longer being mentioned in the injury updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

He started against Connacht A last weekend so hopefully he's just no longer being mentioned in the injury updates.

Yep.

Injury updates would be quite lengthy and a bit pointless if they started including fit players lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

All of the Leinster Lions hopefuls will be playing the following weekend. I don't see why they'd need to start in this game.

Perhaps, but I think someone like Ringrose will be desperate to feature if fit. After the news on Sutherland's injury, the door is open for Healy to secure a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I wouldn't TBH. I don't want to see JJ or Holland involved again. If he doesn't get picked in the Lions squad I wouldn't pick Stander again either. Their replacements should be bedded in now. I also want to see Knox and/or Salanoa named in every 23. We're going nowhere with Archer/Ryan. Lets see what these two lads can do with a sustained run in the team.

This match is the only one I'd be going full strength of the 3 interpros, we haven't beaten Leinster in a while now, it's more important to get the win than blood players IMO.

Fair enough if Wycherley/Ahern were on the bench instead of Holland or Healy/Flannery/Crowley/Scannell were on the bench instead of JJ it wouldn't make a huge difference either.
    Stander on the other hand would be hard to justify dropping.
    The Lions squad won't be selected til the 6th of May.

Injury update from last week said O'Mahony will return to training this week, Beirne, Cronin and Ahern all have injuries that will be assessed this week to see if they can join training.

If none of them are fully fit by Saturday to play, then we will be down to Kleyn, Wycherley and Holland for lock, and Loughman would be my preferred replacement for Cronin.
    I wouldn't use O'Mahony unless he is completely recovered, O'Sullivan would be better on the bench in that case IMO.

If Salanoa is fit it wouldn't make much difference to bench him instead of Ryan either, from what I've seen of Knox he's not really an improvement on Archer/Ryan, but Salanoa has looked fairly good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I can't see Leinster going full strenght! Why risk injury?

Why risk fronting La Rochelle a 14 point headstart like they did with Exeter?

All of the available Lions hopefuls will start this game I imagine. Both the players and the IRFU will want this.

Does the IRFU get paid per lions tourist?

Open to correction but I think the IRFU get a stipend, yes.

• Advertisement

Apparently each union gets in the region of 80K per player selected (per 2017 numbers)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/09/10/lions-pay-will-soar-to-70000-per-player-for-new-zealand-tour/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Apparently each union gets in the region of 80K per player selected (per 2017 numbers)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/09/10/lions-pay-will-soar-to-70000-per-player-for-new-zealand-tour/

Since CJ is contracted to Munster until June 27th....I presume the IRFU would only get a portion of this fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Buer wrote: »
    I agree that a Leinster versus an Ulster/Munster select would be interesting but I'd back Leinster to pinch it.

Add Connacht best 5 then Leinster would lose :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    We should try Leinster full team vs Best of the Rest in the other 3 provnces
    would be tasty

That's what Leinster v Munster is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

This is edging towards 'could Leinster beat the All Blacks' territory.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That's what Leinster v Munster is

When you (finally) get rid of overated old guns, there won't be many Munster guys in it, no.
    De Allende maybe:P

Teferi wrote: »

All-Blacks + Saffers best mix only may have a chance:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Could the all blacks nick a LBP v Leinster is the real question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Munster are favourites. Remember that from about, oh, 4 weeks ago?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Saturday 26th?

• Advertisement

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Saturday 26th?

I said about. ABOUT!

(You really get away with nothing around here :))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Could 15 harry byrne's beat a world 15 (minus harry byrne of coarse)

Since CJ is contracted to Munster until June 27th....I presume the IRFU would only get a portion of this fee?

No idea if that rate is pro rota or not.

I'd let the bean counters fight that one out haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Looks like the South African sides won't be travelling to Europe for round 4 of the Rainbow Cup. Do these inter-pro derbies even happen now? Leinster need this game as preparation for next week.

Clegg wrote: »
    Looks like the South African sides won't be travelling to Europe for round 4 of the Rainbow Cup. Do these inter-pro derbies even happen now? Leinster need this game as preparation for next week.

They'll revert to a Pro12 Cup. That was the contingency I believe.

Tadhg Beirne has returned to team training after rehabbing a rib injury he sustained in the Heineken Champions Cup clash with Toulouse.

RG Snyman has progressed to the final stages of his rehab from a long-term knee injury and will be reviewed for a possible return to squad training next week.

On the Academy front lock Thomas Ahern is unavailable for training this week as he continues to rehab a knee injury, while prop Josh Wycherley (neck) will increase his training load with a decision on his availability for Saturday’s match to be made later in the week.

Continuing to rehab: RG Snyman (Knee), Neil Cronin (Knee), Paddy Patterson (Ankle)

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/04/20/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-leinster-at-the-rds/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    I agree that a Leinster versus an Ulster/Munster select would be interesting but I'd back Leinster to pinch it.

The first XV generally beats the reserves in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

I honestly think a combined Ulster & Munster team would stand a good chance, if they are all playing at once. I mean it's 30 players against 15, they have to at least be competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Munster have to go into this game as clear favourites

Advertisement