Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The way forward for LC2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Hi any link to that oral interviewer form? I've been looking for it for a while on the SEC website to no avail!

I've attached it here, hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I've attached it here, hope it works

Where did you get that? I haven’t had one of those forms.

Where did you get that? I haven’t had one of those forms.

SEC website, can’t remember which section, wasn’t in the right one anyway. Stumbled across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭ascophyllum

It’s appendix 4 here https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-SC-97154900.pdf I didn’t need to hand anything else in to my school.

Thanks, I filled that one in alright but it went in the envelope to Athlone I think

Im still none the wiser as to who is paying the Oral Aide for the LC orals? Is it the SEC or do the school reimburse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

Im still none the wiser as to who is paying the Oral Aide for the LC orals? Is it the SEC or do the school reimburse me?

The school pay you for the oral Aide. Don't expect to be paid anytime soon though, as the schools have not been told to pay you yet.

With the LCVP exam coming in two weeks time, has anyone received any information regarding when we need to set up? Centre numbers etc? Do we need to get out own superintendents?

DubLad69 wrote: »
    The school pay you for the oral Aide. Don't expect to be paid anytime soon though, as the schools have not been told to pay you yet.

Thanks, but are you sure about this? A document relating to pay from financial services support unit was released to schools last week. This outlined the rates of pay for interviewers and aides.

Thanks, but are you sure about this? A document relating to pay from financial services support unit was released to schools last week. This outlined the rates of pay for interviewers and aides.

Yes I am. I have already paid my interviewers. The school pays anyone who is appointed by the school, then they claim back the costs from the SEC.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

With the LCVP exam coming in two weeks time, has anyone received any information regarding when we need to set up? Centre numbers etc? Do we need to get out own superintendents?

Whoever is your school exam Secretary should organise all of that

• Advertisement

Anyone received any documentation about the LCVP exam on May 8th? We’ve received nothing, I only know that it’s on Saturday May 8th. I haven’t come across a time for it.

Sorry but just one question on this, so interviewers should be paid by now? Spoke with management a few days ago and they didn’t know anything about payment for Oral Aide or Interviewers.

Why isn’t the aide being paid yet? I know you may not know that but worth a shot.

Sorry but just one question on this, so interviewers should be paid by now? Spoke with management a few days ago and they didn’t know anything about payment for Oral Aide or Interviewers.

Why isn’t the aide being paid yet? I know you may not know that but worth a shot.

Interviewers in our place to be paid at the end of the month. I don’t know the plan for the aide.

Different schools will have different payment schedules. Some only make payments monthly.

I also believe that the form for payment was just burried on the SEC website and never sent to principals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Irrespective of the choices made by individual candidates, Accredited Grades will be provided to any candidate unable to attend for any of their examinations for Covid related reasons; due to other medical emergencies; or in the event of a bereavement.

What does this really mean? If a students opts for exam and AG now via portal, and chooses not to sit the exam later, will they still get their AG?

Anyone know what time the LCVP exam is at next Saturday? Can’t find info anywhere, maybe I’m missing a document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone know what time the LCVP exam is at next Saturday? Can’t find info anywhere, maybe I’m missing a document.

10-1230 Saturday week
    That’s sat 8th May

km79 wrote: »
    10-12 Saturday week
    That’s sat 8th May

Thanks for this. Is there any documentation available for this? Can’t seem to find much info, and I have about 8 different documents.

Are superintendents SEC appointed for the LCVP exam or school appointed does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks for this. Is there any documentation available for this? Can’t seem to find much info, and I have about 8 different documents.

Only what is on sec website:
    "All examinations for 2021 must be arranged in accordance with public health requirements. To ensure that the final examinations for LCVP and Computer Science, both of which are held in May, can be fully compliant with public health guidance the dates for these examinations are confirmed as follows;

LCVP Links modules on the morning of Saturday 8 May - 10 am – 12:30 pm
    LC Computer Science on the morning of Saturday 22 May - 9:30 am – 12:30 pm"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are superintendents SEC appointed for the LCVP exam or school appointed does anyone know?

Just on the Superintendents. Rumours are they are very short this year. Could uld be another shout out to try get more people to sign up.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just on the Superintendents. Rumours are they are very short this year. Could uld be another shout out to try get more people to sign up.

I see this notice on the recruitment page:

Applications are now being invited for the position of superintendent at the 2021 examinations for the following counties: Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth, Wicklow, Waterford, Cork and Limerick.

No one has been appointed yet to the best of my knowledge, so it would probably help if people who did apply knew if they got it or not. Also, in my experience, one of the most frustrating parts of applying for superintending over the years (I'm 20 years teaching and have never got it) was getting the 'you're on the reserve list' letter and then the next day seeing them re-advertise for more examiners because they won't pay the mileage to examiners who want to do the work to go to Dublin.

It's usually just Dublin that has a shortage but clearly it's a much bigger problem this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Email today...
    Dear Principal / Manager,

The State Examinations Commission is satisfied with the number of Superintendents who have indicated that they are interested in superintending for the 2021 examinations. However, there may be a shortfall in certain areas and to this end we are undertaking a targeted recruitment of superintendents for the following counties:

Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth, Wicklow, Waterford, Cork and Limerick.

Ya so definitely not short... Except for 30% of Ireland. :pac:

LCVP exam guidance to be sent to schools in the coming week. Apparently you can hire a superintendent from within the school staff for it but not for the non-proficiency test later that day.

Hi guys,

Would anyone have a link to the document that sets out the pay for the superintendents for the LCVP and non-curricular languages exam?

I think one of the ones that I am looking for is S16/2021. But I can't find it anywhere.

• Advertisement

Did anyone receive anything about the LCVP exam yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

Hi guys,

Would anyone have a link to the document that sets out the pay for the superintendents for the LCVP and non-curricular languages exam?

I think one of the ones that I am looking for is S16/2021. But I can't find it anywhere.

180 for LCVP, 240 if you do both

180 for LCVP, 260 if you do both

Thanks, any chance you have the document and could send it to me?

All correspondence will arrive in schools tomorrow I believe. Was posted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

In an e mail sent to your principal last friday

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Email today...

Ya so definitely not short... Except for 30% of Ireland. :pac:

It said short for Dublin. Where 33% of the population live. Small area. Big population

Closing date was 7/5 for superintendents extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

Has anyone heard back about correcting? I applied this year after a break of 4 years but I didn't hear back. Can I assume at this stage that I won't? And yes I know I can contact the SEC directly to enquire, I just can't remember when you usually get confirmation.

I stayed away from this thread as I still find the whole thing farcical. Accredited grades. I have never corrected LC exams. But yet I'm to come up with a grade for a new exam format?
    I also assume a bell curve will operate?.
    So if I think Johnny average will get between. 60 - 70 in the new exam - do I inflate to guard against their possible deflation?
    Kids can surprise you on the day. Plus the lowering of standards can surprise you on the day.

Ive a couple of spare packets of unopened LCVP exams from this morning. Do I just keep then or are they to be returned? Don't see anything about returning them.

Has anyone heard back about correcting? I applied this year after a break of 4 years but I didn't hear back. Can I assume at this stage that I won't? And yes I know I can contact the SEC directly to enquire, I just can't remember when you usually get confirmation.

Haven’t heard back myself yet, I’ve been marking for 20 years so presume I’ll be doing it again this year.

I’d imagine there’s a few factors at play. Less examiners needed in each subject in general. Some might opt out having had last year off. Anyone who usually marks JC has no marking for last two years so might apply for LC if they resale want it. Hard to know.

Superintendents haven’t been applied either to the best of my knowledge.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I stayed away from this thread as I still find the whole thing farcical. Accredited grades. I have never corrected LC exams. But yet I'm to come up with a grade for a new exam format?
    I also assume a bell curve will operate?.
    So if I think Johnny average will get between. 60 - 70 in the new exam - do I inflate to guard against their possible deflation?
    Kids can surprise you on the day. Plus the lowering of standards can surprise you on the day.

I structured my monthly assessments to match the new exam format. I marked them. Job done.

I haven’t heard back this year either, and I did mark in 2019. Id say they are still wary about numbers and don’t want to over appoint examiners.

Ive a couple of spare packets of unopened LCVP exams from this morning. Do I just keep then or are they to be returned? Don't see anything about returning them.

The lcvp teachers in your school might like them? Handy test to hand out for 5th years.

I structured my monthly assessments to match the new exam format. I marked them. Job done.

But is that enough

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    But is that enough

I have previous assessments and tests for my students as well. I mark fairly and I don't overinflate grades.

We are asked in the guidelines to mark how we feel they would do if they sat the 2021 LC, so I've kept my assessments as close to that as possible. I'm not sure I can do much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I have previous assessments and tests for my students as well. I mark fairly and I don't overinflate grades.

We are asked in the guidelines to mark how we feel they would do if they sat the 2021 LC, so I've kept my assessments as close to that as possible. I'm not sure I can do much more.

Natural inflation at corrector stage for LC 2021 due to increased options this year. Dept can sort themselves when applying the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I have never marked LC and do my best to grade accurately however I will say that despite following a pre- paper marking scheme for one assessment I was still unsure if students were giving enough information for answers as the scheme only give bullet points and key words they should use. I definitely found myself giving students marks despite being unsure if they would get them, I couldn’t be listening to them complain.
    I’m not the only one doing this!

Heard also of colleagues being asked to give a grade for work done on a project submitted in 5th year and they have no record of what students would have got as they are sent off to be corrected, so giving them all top marks for it. Madness.

Teach30 wrote: »
    I have never marked LC and do my best to grade accurately however I will say that despite following a pre- paper marking scheme for one assessment I was still unsure if students were giving enough information for answers as the scheme only give bullet points and key words they should use. I definitely found myself giving students marks despite being unsure if they would get them, I couldn’t be listening to them complain.

Heard also of colleagues being asked to give a grade for work done on a project submitted in 5th year and they have no record of what students would have got as they are sent off to be corrected, so giving them all top marks for it. Madness.

You have a very low threshold for educational attainment.

You have a very low threshold for educational attainment.

No I just hate confrontation and having had terrible experiences with this student and parents in the past, verbally attacked for no good reason, I just don’t want to put myself through that again. I’m just looking out for myself.

This system isnt fair on teachers with no previous marking experience. Similar views in my staffroom and lots guarding themselves against the wrath of local parents and students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Could you look for some advice from other teachers who have marked your subject before? Or contact your subject association?

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Could you look for some advice from other teachers who have marked your subject before? Or contact your subject association?

Yea I asked teacher in another school I do slar with and they weren’t sure either, as neither of us correct. They actually would have given more marks for answers than I did!
    Anyways assessments are over with now and grades have been given.

Dept said to go by what we think so I did, I followed the guidelines but there are others unsure like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm primary but I think you need to be more professional in your approach. Give them the grade that they deserve, not one to give you an easy live and appease students and parents.

I'm primary but I think you need to be more professional in your approach. Give them the grade that they deserve, not one to give you an easy live and appease students and parents.

I think I was as professional as I could be tbh, I followed the guidelines and marking scheme to best of my ability. One went from 78 to 80% because I was VERY afraid of the reaction the 78 would get. I’d rather look after myself than worry about 2%.

My overall point is that the system isn’t very fair for those who have zero correcting experience or who didn’t keep records in 5th year. I’ll definitely keep better records goi g forward and look for my subject assoc to go through marking schemes with us - something they have never done as they dont know themselves how marks are allocated a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Is it a very niche subject you are teaching? Normally you'd get a few people in your subject association with experience correcting. I'd also recommend correcting one year for your own sake, it will give you a much better grounding.

I've found this year much more difficult than last year. Students performance has varied more than usual so a concrete grade is harder to stand over. I'd have been very confident last year that my grades would have been pretty close to accurate. This year I don't feel the same, and I have good records and 5 years correcting experience so don't feel too deflated. I think there will be a bit or erring on the higher side, if only because its tougher to narrow the grade. Last year I'd have been thinking about where in a band of 76-78% a kid was based on work,exams etc. This year I've some where I'm unsure where they lie on 75-85 and I'm trawling through their exams with the new structure in mind. Naturally I will err upwards, as many teachers will. The inconsistency of there last two years makes it a very different proposition

Advertisement