Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doonbeg Begorragh!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I for one, welcome our Doonbegian overlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's completely possible that Donald Trump's sons are actually sound, but they look like absolute jizzlords; punchable heads doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fella on RTÉ news sayin he’s optimistic don himself will go to the village at some stage

Fella on RTÉ news sayin he’s optimistic don himself will go to the village at some stage

Will his unusually tiny hands be able to competently grasp a pint of porter? The world watches and waits...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Psychlops wrote: »
    Welcome Mr President.

Get your tongue outta there you.

The locals were loving DJ and Eric apparently. Amazing how a few free pints can make your memory/morals go.

I hear they might rename the place Donbeg in his honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yurt! wrote: »
    Will his unusually tiny hands be able to competently grasp a pint of porter? The world watches and waits...

He can always order a glass.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    You say Drumpf,I say P.O.T.U.S. -Tomato/tomayto.

P.O.T.U.S. is the game. The incumbent is a passing fad.

Irish -America is content rather than "a spent force".

I doubt any politician running for office in the U.S. would be willing enough to test your theory by kicking that sleeping tiger.

Irish America got what they wanted, being Catholic hasn't been a barrier to high public office for years.
    Irish Americans couldn't give two ****s about illegal, sorry, "undocumented" Irish. Only a live issue for Irish that snuck in and our govt who keep lobbying for people who can't follow rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Anteayer wrote: »
    The resort at Doonbeg was purchased by the Trumps as far as I’m aware.
    It would be a successful golf resort one way or another. There are other similar resorts around Ireland all doing solid business.
    The club has been losing over a million a year since 2014.

Since then, Doonbeg has never reported turning a profit, losing more than $1 million every year from 2014 to 2017, according to Irish corporate records.

He can always order a glass.

If he orders a glass of G he deserves to be ran out of the country with a hurl.

Lizzie had the good manners to look longingly at a pint, as is custom. Even if she didn't drink it, I'll give the auld Kraut credit, you know she wanted a sup bad.

Obama is the gold standard, he handled the porter ritual as if it was a sacred Japanese tea ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    President Obama stayed about 19 hours and a motorway plaza was named after him.

President Trump is surely owed a motorway plaza and a few town streets.

Perhaps a few Laundrettes? Would be symbolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

valoren wrote: »
    Perhaps a few Laundrettes? Would be symbolic.
    A commemorative wall, say somewhere near the border?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that Doonbeg had closed down before Trump bought it, he Russians pumped millions into it.

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭boetstark

_blaaz wrote: »
    To best of my knowlege the paddys day visit is offial...your comparing apples and oranges?

Trump.is a multi billionaire businesman,who prob stands to make millions off his doonbeg investment (and more power to him for that)....but why are my taxes being used to cover security costs for an unoffial trip/holiday for him??

Very simple really. He is visiting in a private capacity but he is still the President of the United States even when on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Get your tongue outta there you.

The locals were loving DJ and Eric apparently. Amazing how a few free pints can make your memory/morals go.

These people are providing loads of jobs directly and indirectly to the village. So yes people will play up does not mean anything. I suppose if your employer was around and came with free drink you would throw it in there face and tell them what for

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    President Obama stayed about 19 hours and a motorway plaza was named after him.

President Trump is surely owed a motorway plaza and a few town streets.

Google Trump plaza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

One of the most galling thing for me in this Doonbeg adulation of Trump is the way the Parish priest is fawning over them.
    By all means extend a bit of courtesy if an investor in the local economy is present but "saving a place in heaven" for the sons kind of ****e is just embarrassing.

Trump compared the NI border to the US Mexico border, he obviously hasn't a clue about the situation in Ireland as regards Brexit. That is simply not good enough for a world leader visiting this country, engaging in talks about that issue.

The priest praising a leader whose policies involve separating children from parents at borders, some of whom may never be re-united. How can a priest, or anyone with any morals find that acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭boetstark

The resort at Doonbeg was purchased by the Trumps as far as I’m aware.
    It would be a successful golf resort one way or another. There are other similar resorts around Ireland all doing solid business.

I find this sycophantic stuff a bit much.

Also Trump doesn’t run the multinationals that have presence here. If anything he’s not being taken all that seriously by big US business leaders. The companies are here because it’s a useful gateway into Europe both from a tax and business culture point of view. It’s not like the US is a command economy where the president tells companies where to invest. They invest here because it suits them.

He’s also the son of a Scots Gaelic native speaker from a small cottage in the western isles that’s about as much like the west of Ireland as you could possibly get. He’s not going to find rural Ireland an unfamiliar place.

If you think that being unfriendly to the President of the United States whoever it may be , would not affect US companies doing business here , well I'm lost for words.
    We are not the only country with low corporate tax rates.
    Higgins showed his ignorance yesterday with his name calling.
    Our so called head of state is a blustering national embarrassment.

joe40 wrote: »
    One of the most galling thing for me in this Doonbeg adulation of Trump is the way the Parish priest is fawning over them.
    By all means extend a bit of courtesy if an investor in the local economy is present but "saving a place in heaven" for the sons kind of ****e is just embarrassing.

Trump compared the NI border to the US Mexico border, he obviously hasn't a clue about the situation in Ireland as regards Brexit. That is simply not good enough for a world leader visiting this country, engaging in talks about that issue.

The priest praising a leader whose policies involve separating children from parents at borders, some of whom may never be re-united. How can a priest, or anyone with any morals find that acceptable?

The President of the US, the world's most influential and powerful democracy, and a democracy that Irish people played no small part in building, should always receive a welcome on this island - no matter who holds the office.

He's a bit of a sh*tehawk, and not the best president to put it mildly, but he's the President nonetheless; chosen by the good people of America. You can disagree, but I wouldn't be willing to p*ss on that relationship because of some bad policy decisions.

The reception he's receiving is unsurprisingly more muted than let's say what Clinton got, and that man had a very dirty bib indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I was waiting for the local priest to be brought into the discussion, typical of the new wave ignorance...

I ain't religious but he's entitled to welcome someone if he likes, after all the Christian way is not to judge whether you have morals or not you'll always be welcome.

Morals are oxymoronic anyhow...

boetstark wrote: »
    Very simple really. He is visiting in a private capacity but he is still the President of the United States even when on holiday.

Imagine if the if he was injured in any way here and we had no security checks here regardless if is just a holiday.

To be fair, most people have stopped taking him seriously by now. His comments on the border or on the NHS will be mostly ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

*cough* Magdalene Laundries *cough*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

boetstark wrote: »
    If you think that being unfriendly to the President of the United States whoever it may be , would not affect US companies doing business here , well I'm lost for words.
    We are not the only country with low corporate tax rates.
    Higgins showed his ignorance yesterday with his name calling.
    Our so called head of state is a blustering national embarrassment.

Yeah I much preferred when Mary Robinson took a break from haranguing us all about human rights to shake Pinochet's hand.
    I don't vote Michael D and wouldn't agree with him on a lot but at least he was consistent in his position and not obsequious to power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To be fair, most people have stopped taking him seriously by now. His comments on the border or on the NHS will be mostly ignored.
    The general coverage both here and in the UK has been pretty low-key. It seems to be viewed as being more like an unpleasant dental appointment that needs to be over and done with!

• Advertisement

20 mins with an advisor would have prepared him, but you don't tell the Don what to do, if he doesn't know anything about a subject he uses imagination. It's funny because he's dumb.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Yeah I much preferred when Mary Robinson took a break from haranguing us all about human rights to shake Pinochet's hand.
    I don't vote Michael D and wouldn't agree with him on a lot but at least he was consistent in his position and not obsequious to power.

I don't think it counts for much when you are instead obsequious to 'trendy' dictators like Castro.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The President of the US, the world's most influential and powerful democracy, and a democracy that Irish people played no small part in building, should always receive a welcome on this island - no matter who holds the office.

He's a bit of a sh*tehawk, and not the best president to put it mildly, but he's the President nonetheless; chosen by the good people of America. You can disagree, but I wouldn't be willing to p*ss on that relationship because of some bad policy decisions.

The reception he's receiving is unsurprisingly more muted than let's say what Clinton got, and that man had a very dirty bib indeed.

I have no problem with extending courtesy, the fawning nonsense though is galling.

As for comparison with Clinton, he was instrumental in achieving the NI peace process. He and his administration had an in depth knowledge of Irish politics, and were able to negotiate with both sides.

Could you imagine for one moment Trump in that position. For god's sake he compared the NI border to the American Mexico border. The man is clueless and lazy. That is not good enough and not deserving of our support.

By all means extend the Courtesy the office deserves, but as an individual Trump is not worth it.

I have no problem with extending courtesy, the fawning nonsense though is galling.
    As for comparison with Clinton, he was instrumental in achieving the NI peace process. He and his administration had an in depth knowledge of Irish politics, and were able to negotiate with both sides... By all means extend the Courtesy the office deserves, but as an individual Trump is not worth it.

We fawned all over Obama and got exactly nothing from him, just some good speeches.
    The good folk of Doonbeg at least seem to be getting something from Trump, which I'm pretty sure is motivating the welcome he is receiving - almost not that of a President, but a CEO.
    Other than that, I don't see too much fawning going on?

These people are providing loads of jobs directly and indirectly to the village. So yes people will play up does not mean anything. I suppose if your employer was around and came with free drink you would throw it in there face and tell them what for

My employer isn't the worlds most famous idiot so its not a fair comparison.

In this case though, I would happily take the free pint but I wouldn't embarrass myself by going on national radio (Newstalk this morning) and saying how great the idiots 2 sons are. All the locals needed was a leprechaun hat and a shillelagh. Read up on DJ and Eric and tell me if they seem like decent people.

• Advertisement

People will fawn around celebs and cameras no matter who the "celeb" is.
    Can't have a tv camera without some dope gawking into it and waving to his mam at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

In this case though, I would happily take the free pint but I wouldn't embarrass myself by going on national radio (Newstalk this morning) and saying how great the idiots 2 sons are. All the locals needed was a leprechaun hat and a shillelagh. Read up on DJ and Eric and tell me if they seem like decent people.

You could read up on anyone though and concentrate on what suits one's agenda. I mean someone could read up on Bill Clinton and read all about how he had a 19 year old intern on her knees in front of him in the Oval office and the rest and that person would come to the conclusion that BC was as creepy as hell or a complete b*****d where young women employees were concerned, would they not ? Yet Irish people fawn all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Did Noonan meet Trump at Shannon a few years back surrounded by Oirish Dancers etc when the Don was buying Doonbeg?

He did. Not something I would organise myself.

However, if you are insinuating that our politicians should instead play a game of hard to get with cash investors expressing interest in a dire economic crisis, I'm not with you at all I'm afraid.

I think any U.S. leader is welcome here. I don't think it behooves us to first investigate if they are some kind of virtuous saint before we extend the hand of welcome. What is good enough for Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan, Bush and Obama is certainly good enough for Trump. We need never be yes men for the U.S. but it should be clear that we are always their friend. And whoever comes after Trump as a representative of the American people and their will ought to get the same.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    You could read up on anyone though and concentrate on what suits one's agenda. I mean someone could read up on Bill Clinton and read all about how he had a 19 year old intern on her knees in front of him in the Oval office and the rest and that person would come to the conclusion that BC was as creepy as hell or a complete b*****d where young women employees were concerned, would they not ? Yet Irish people fawn all over him.

Another comparison that makes no sense. Its mentioned only a few posts above why Irish people respect Clinton. Can anyone give me a reason to respect Trump's two sons? Or Trump himself even?

Another comparison that makes no sense. Its mentioned only a few posts above why Irish people respect Clinton. Can anyone give me a reason to respect Trump's two sons? Or Trump himself even?

Respect is a personal instinct, acknowledgment is another...

They're just two lads at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Another comparison that makes no sense. Its mentioned only a few posts above why Irish people respect Clinton. Can anyone give me a reason to respect Trump's two sons?

The people that are stating their respect from them are people from a community that Trump's business is actually keeping going. That means bread and butter as well as cake on their tables and sons and daughters at home in Doonbeg instead of over in America as well as grandchildren in the local schools rather than grandchildren with American accents. It's really rather simple to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'm not a Donald Trump fan.
    However, respect the office, not the man, he is the president of the USA and the president deserves the honour.
    Donald Trump as a man does not deserve the honour.
    He is a bad employer, a bad business man, a bad role model. He does not deserve the praise he is getting in Doonbeg.

The people that are stating their respect from them are people from a community that Trump's business is actually keeping going. That means bread and butter as well as cake on their tables and sons and daughters at home in Doonbeg instead of over in America as well as grandchildren in the local schools rather than grandchildren with American accents. It's really rather simple to understand.

Oh I understand perfectly, I just don't agree with the welcome mat being rolled out for people of such low quality.

People would get by without him, like they did before him. He's not the messiah...

I was under the impression Doon beg was a business where an employer pays employees for their service. Is it actually some kind of charity set up to help Doonbbeg.
    It is perfectly possible for a local community to welcome an important employer with a bit of dignity and self respect without the nonsense in Doonbeg.
    One publican compared it to the night Clare beating Kerry in the 1992 Munster final. There must be some Doonbeg residents embarrassed by that spectacle.

I liked the piece with the local parish priest saying he has secured a place in heaven for the Trumps.

This is precisely the sort of cutting edge image Ireland needs to project for itself and fight back against those pernicious technological centre, business-friendly, gay-friendly, liberal stereotypes.

I also think Donald did a great service to international relations with his highly informed analysis concerning that notorious wall between free and occupied Ireland. He knows his stuff, God bless him. Great guy, great, great guy.

• Advertisement

20 mins with an advisor would have prepared him, but you don't tell the Don what to do, if he doesn't know anything about a subject he uses imagination. It's funny because he's dumb.

I wouldn't say dumb. It's more that he is wilfully ignorant. He has certain beliefs and he can't be taught any different. Tariffs are a good example of this. He genuinely believes that China pays the tariffs to the US. It's not that he's just making stuff up; he actually believes that and he'll refuse to learn how they really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

stoneill wrote: »
    I'm not a Donald Trump fan.
    However, respect the office, not the man, he is the president of the USA and the president deserves the honour.
    Donald Trump as a man does not deserve the honour.
    He is a bad employer, a bad business man, a bad role model. He does not deserve the praise he is getting in Doonbeg.

He's dishonored the office and is acting as a great example of why presidential power should be rolled back tbh. His two sons are scuts as well, one has been on far right extremist radio shows. Plus that hunting photo which was a disgrace.

I wouldn't say dumb. It's more that he is wilfully ignorant. He has certain beliefs and he can't be taught any different. Tariffs are a good example of this. He genuinely believes that China pays the tariffs to the US. It's not that he's just making stuff up; he actually believes that and he'll refuse to learn how they really work.

Exactly what a successful businessman/president should be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

I liked the piece with the local parish priest saying he has secured a place in heaven for the Trumps.

This is precisely the sort of cutting edge image Ireland needs to project for itself and fight back against those pernicious technological centre, business-friendly, gay-friendly, liberal stereotypes.

I also think Donald did a great service to international relations with his highly informed analysis concerning that notorious wall between free and occupied Ireland. He knows his stuff, God bless him. Great guy, great, great guy.
    Great that the locals of Doonbeg, including the PP, warmly embrace the democratic POTUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Quote Drumpf, Brexit will be 'Very, very good' for Ireland. Talking out of his hole.

Plenty of posters on here agree with him. As for a wall, the EU will get that built after Brexit anyway.
    I dont agree with trump on much but he is President of the USA at the end of the day. No military guard of honour, no young girls with flowers to greet them, barely a ripple of applause ,just Leo with a smug face behind a van. A very poor effort

Ireland only gives that kind of welcome to respected world leaders with impeccable records when it comes to human rights, climate change and women's rights, like the Saudis and the Chinese.
    No he doesn't. He treats his staff terribly.

Any information to back this up? The 300 families (his staff), who can afford to live and work in a beautiful place like Doonbeg, seem pretty happy with him.
    The resort at Doonbeg was purchased by the Trumps as far as I’m aware. It would be a successful golf resort one way or another. There are other similar resorts around Ireland all doing solid business.

The resort was in the red when he bought it and there was conflict between the previous owners and the locals over access to the beach.
    It is pretty much dead in a political context. Irish American is not considered a voting demographic anymore.

Apart from a few old societies on the east coasts like Friends of Ireland and The Ancient Order of Hibernians, which is full of pensioners,there's nothing much kicking there anymore .

They've well and truly assimilated.

Agree and the Irish Americans above are die-hard conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's all a bit cringe and I sense a little bit of the Healy Rae about it, as in buffoon trolling of Dublin. People have the right to protest though and God knows I'm no Trump fan but I'd personally be a little loath to sit where I do (in the capital city with a relatively large number of decent job opportunities for myself and my children) and pontificate to people about putting political integrity over paying for your mortgage, kids education and staying in the locale in which you grew up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Come lads what we're people supposed to do ignore them, of course it's complete Darby O Gill stuff but I'd say the vast majority out on the street either worked at the resort or lived in the area.

I don't live too far away from the place and I can safely say majority of west clare wasn't exactly falling over themselves to get a look

It's always paddywhackery when a US president is in town, I mean Obama from moneygall 🙄 that was a terrible stunt

There were 200 people protesting outside Shannon Airport yesterday, and no one protesting outside limerick general hospital... Kind of shows where people's priorities lie

As much as I hate trump at least he visited this place, something varadkar seems to be incapable of

is_that_so wrote: »
    The general coverage both here and in the UK has been pretty low-key. It seems to be viewed as being more like an unpleasant dental appointment that needs to be over and done with!

Pretty much.

These trips are usually an exercise in damage limitation for both his hosts and his handlers and the easiest way to do this is to create fewer opportunities for him to say something stupid. It's not that easy though as it takes only a sentence or two for him to say something stupid at the best of times as we saw with the border and NHS nonsense but hiding him entirely isn't really an option.

The safest option is to keep him out of the way and get the trip over and done with as quickly as possible.

He loves wall's, I'd say if mine craft was out in his childhood he'd be a dinger at it.

After all wall's are synonymous with protection and keeping out undesirable intrusion.

We all build wall's in our lives, he ain't highly articulate in his translation that's why intelligent idiot's can't understand him.

He talks in layman's terms and sometimes in riddles.
    That's why simple folk like him, because they get him.

I'll be adding his portrait on my wall beside JFK and Pope John Paul, he's certainly stirred up a lot of discussion....

He's a legend in his own way, nobody can deny he's touched the hearts of many, including myself and everyone else who's either lambasting him or adoring him.

It's the perfect storm in ways....

I love the whole banter of discussion about Trump...

• Advertisement

Where have I said they are decent people. Please quote me. I think the Trumps are idiots plus more beside but be banned if wrote it.

Does not matter if you boss is famous or not the comparison still stands as you agree you would smile and take everything. As for going on radio what else do you expect them to do when the radio want you on air.

I hate Trump but let's get real here what people are doing is shaking hands and kissing babies metaphorically to make sure the goods stay and I have no problem with that

Advertisement