Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Music Scene In Ireland

Options
  • 22-06-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Been asking around and it seems the only way to make money gigging in pubs/local venues is to do covers?

There are a lot of new up and coming bands and talent on the scene but does anyone feel that venues such as this should be paying musicians money for their original material and not carbon copy/inferior versions of other peoples songs?

Was watching a band doing Beatles covers in a good music pub there, decent enough musicians, good singers but there wasn't anything original or interesting about the interpretation of it. By the way, when they played an original song of theirs, it wasn't much cop.

Has this always been the case with the cover scene and is this detrimental to music here in the long run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

trying to make a difference :
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mlpmoir/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You have to remember, Van Morrison started off in covers bands. The Beatles were originally a covers band. U2 never were -

The audience in Ireland for original material that's not that well known is really small.

I'd prefer a bad original band to a ropey pub covers band any day of the week. I like hearing music I've never heard before - or to hear stuff done differently.

Playing covers is not a bad way to get started - if you can make money out of it, that's not such a bad thing. And there's showmanship and musicianship things you can pick up along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Their business is selling alcohol not music.. They will hire whatever band suits their customer, and the bulk of those customers would likely rather a decent covers band than an unfamiliar originals band..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

shayleon wrote: »
    trying to make a difference :
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mlpmoir/

I just signed there, fair play Shay. I wonder if the people who run boards would sponsor a free advertisement for the petition if they had the resources and time. Something like this will need allot more than 45 signatures.

Welease wrote: »
    Their business is selling alcohol not music.. They will hire whatever band suits their customer, and the bulk of those customers would likely rather a decent covers band than an unfamiliar originals band..

There is a market for original music. Not that many bands are that original - covers or no covers.

I think ,,,, what causes things to break down is the "here is my crap.. now open wide as I shove it unmercifully down your throat" thing - if you know what I mean.

If a band is playing a pub - regardless of what kind of music they're playing the idea is to entertain the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

The "pay to play" culture that swamped Dublin in the 90's has a lot to answer for IMO. Get paid to play other peoples music or pay to play your own....

I think it comes down to the fact that Dublin is relatively small and the casual gig goer is a rare species.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

My theory is that original bands should get paid when people want to pay to see them.

The problem is that there aren't enough people willing to put their hand in their pocket and support original music at the grassroot level. maybe in dublin there is, but in a non city environment its not worth a venues while to put on an original band. The band have the choice of renting a venue, but again, chances are the punter just wont bother their arses going and it ends up being an expensive choice. If more people where demanding original music in their local pubs things would change quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

No, if the band is good enough and has done a decent advertising job, people will come to see them. To make a living from music it has to be sold like any other product. Painters and sculptors know this. It seems to be beyond most musicians though.

So expanding on krd's point, if no one wants to hear you play, take a good hard look at the quality of your product...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

madtheory wrote: »

So expanding on krd's point, if no one wants to hear you play, take a good hard look at the quality of your product...

A point I've been making since joining this Forum a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

A venue booker I know says he regularly gets emails and calls from completely unknown bands looking to play there, and willing to accept as little as €500 for a gig. Fair play to them hahaha!!!

Owning an instrument and being a musician are not necessarily the same thing.

Learn to play, using covers. That will stretch your ability and if you have it in you, make a decent musician of you. Writing and playing your own music, as a beginner, will not bring out the best of your abilities at such an early stage. Your playing and songs will each be limited to the standard of the other.

And drummers, learn to play your kit in balance, rather than playing each part of the kit to it's loudest!! Dynamics and tone don't exist this way :)

Once you've all these things coming together, you'll be in a position to then try and get gigs, and see if your efforts are worthy of the masses...

g (cranky old road dog)

• Advertisement

madtheory wrote: »
    No, if the band is good enough and has done a decent advertising job, people will come to see them. To make a living from music it has to be sold like any other product. Painters and sculptors know this. It seems to be beyond most musicians though.

the music should be fit to talk, and not the advertising. If people only go to a gig because advertising tells them, then thats not grassroot level support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Does that really need to be said? Not much point in trying to sell a product that isn't any good, unless you've an astronomical marketing budget like Coke or Gucci.

Like I said, it's twofold- the band must be good, and they must market the product.

You can't expect people to magically turn up at gigs/ buy your music if you haven't targeted your demographic, even at "grassroots" level. It pays to plan.

Here's a good example of how to do it:
    http://www.mosesavalon.com/nadine.shtml

unfortauntely I think it does need to be said. There are too many original bands who believe that because they try to write their own material, that people should pay them money regardless.

godfrey wrote: »
    A venue booker I know says he regularly gets emails and calls from completely unknown bands looking to play there, and willing to accept as little as €500 for a gig. Fair play to them hahaha!!!

What do you mean?

That venues pay over €500 a gig to unknown bands?

I was under the assumption no one got a bean - even bands with a little exposure. Which may not quite be pay to play but it's not far off it.

A friend who had a band - they weren't that good - who did a mixture of covers and originals - their originals were pretty awful. They approached a pub in the city centre that was virtually empty on Saturday nights offering to play for free. After a few weeks they had a bigger and bigger crowd. The bar started paying them 80 quid - that's 20 quid a head. They asked for more money and were told to **** off which they did. The publican thought the crowd were coming to see him pull pints.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

not sure why this is in MP, but ...

Anyway, there's almost no money in this or any scene for bands that don't have a booking agent or a (decent) record label.

If you wanna play in decent venues, rent them and expect to take a loss...

If you do this often enough, have decent material, put on a good show and are good at promo, people WILL notice.

But that's just noticing... if you want more you just have to invest more and try harder/be better than your peers.

There's absolutely no secret formula to success other than be good, make friends, work harder than your competition and keep trying.

Yes, some folks have special relationships with business folks, but unless the material is there... it means very little, other than help with exposure...

The main thing IMO, for mainstream success, is having a good vocalist. Followed by good material. In that order. People won't even pretend to give you money or help if your singer isn't special.

One final thing, some of the best scenes in the world are tiny... blaming the size of the scene for anything is a cop-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I've plenty of friends out there with three or four albums made at this stage who play 3 or 4 nights a week doing original material. By the time you get a van, an engineer/roadie and drive to Ballywhatthe**** it's costing at the very least €500 to €600 before you even pay a musician. Half the time it's the CD's and t-shirts that make the profit. Then you can only visit one place every couple of months even if you are on permanent tour.

It's hardly surprising then that said musicians spend the rest of the week doing little covers gigs for lasting about 3 hours in crappy bars with crappy little PA systems.

How many "up and coming" originals bands can play for more than a hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical on the whole Irish "scene" but sure here goes...

IMHO, Ireland has no scene. Period.
    End discussion...

But why do I say this? Well lets look at the Irish "scene" for a second with an open mind to all angles and see what we find.

Firstly, ANY Irish musician(s) who has had any significant success from these shores has done so elsewhere first. U2, the Script....all the bands at their level of success got big first in England or America first. The simple reason is that thats where the big scenes are and in order to make a big enough splash you've got to go to the scene. No point being a big fish in a small pond.

Lets look at Irish radio stations for a second and the **** all support they give local Irish bands. If you actually look at the Top 30/40 for a second you will see that most of the music there is imported from England or America. The Top 40 is where most stations draw their playlists from. Any "support" they give Irish acts is at 3am for an hour at most on a Tuesday morning or some other **** slot where the listenership is low. Nova tend to play older Irish established rock acts such as Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher etc...not that there's anything wrong with that (2 great bands! :) ) but its not helping the Irish acts of today.

"Well, if the music was good enough, it would be on the charts!"
    I've seen this "point" raised loads of times and its simply not true for a few reasons.

One - if you have a great song then good for you, but theres no point in getting radio play of it if its at 11pm where your target audience are not listening to the radio. You may get a few fans (talking in the tens here) if you're lucky, but very rarely is it enough. Peoples attention and memory is less these days and halfway through the next song they've already forgotten who sang the last song.

Two - Record companies spend lots of money on advertising and marketing campaigns that the humble local band can't ever compete with. Online, sure theres a great many resources to take advantage of, but again, its getting harder to muscle in on those with money to spend. Also, its an area that I find most bands don't fully utilise properly. I mean think realistically about it for a second. The band are musicians, not marketeers....which leads me on to my next point...

Bands need to be everything
    The bands product (ie, their recording(s)) whether that be in CD or digital download format, is their most important asset. Period. Next to that is live performance followed very closely by image. Depending on the act, image often trumps live performance in importance.
    Now, due to the relatively inexpensive cost of professional sounding recording equipment these days, more bands now have the potential to record and put out material at a faster rate. And if the band knows what they are doing, a lot of this material can compete with recordings made in a multimillion dollar studio if they know what they are doing.
    People will disagree with this of course, but I've heard some amazing recordings done by people with little more than a €600 soundcard, a laptop and a few mics, which in my opinion sounded like they could of been done in Grouse Lodge!

Home recording is taking business away from the bigger studios as more and more people are thinking along the DIY route. There are also tons of online resources to help them use their gear properly (and incorrectly if you've seen some of the "advice" I've seen!)
    Personally, I think that a big studio with a good engineer is invaluable as not only does it generally get you a great sound faster, but it lets you focus on the music and not who-ha experimenting with compressor settings etc. Plus the bigger studios generally have that edge where at the point where its a game of percentages in getting that "polished" sound, they definitely have that last hurdle over home recording. Then again, I've heard amazing stuff done with a lot less. Personally, I have a massive hobby recording my own stuff so theres good points for both sides. But thats another point for a different discussion.

My point is this. With more bands recording their own gear there is more and more music out there both good and bad. This makes it moe difficult for good bands to emerge from the ether either online or otherwise. Theres simply too much out there. And there are alot of good bands also, making it hard for the great ones to be obvious. It just dilutes the online scene so much that most people take it for granted nowadays.

Another point on this, is that with more bands going the DIY route for recording their products, often times the music or the performances can suffer. Musicians are 90% of the time musicians first, engineers second. This makes the production time longer for their record. Ok, they aren't paying for the time persay (save the initial gear cost) but the attitude of "I'll just fix it in the mix" means that sloppy drumming, flat singing etc, can be "fixed" (to some degree) to a modern standard. Often though, these erros get revealed at the live gigs.

Record companies wont look at bands anymore unless they have a product made. The days of "playing gigs, getting spotted, getting signed" are gone the way of the dinosaur. Record companies cant afford that risk. For every ten acts that are signed, one gets their CD released. So most bands have gone down the DIY route for this reason. Its cheaper, on their time and they can control how they sound...(for better or worse, mind...)

So lets recap fora second. Modern bands nowadays not only need to be musicians, but mix/recording engineers (to a certain degree) also. On TOP of this, they also need to be businessmen/women, marketeers, and even know their legal stuff. Thats a tall order for most bands now a days. This on top of constant touring etc takes its toll. Management can help quite a bit especially if the manager is good. But this can also bring problems, which is another issue for another day.

Where I'm going with this...
    Irish bands need to be everything these days. Its not enough to just be musicians anymore, especially when other bands are aiming to be everything. Unfortunately, the first casualty of such an approach is often the music, and this isn't necessarily completely the bands fault. Its a problem generated by an industry which demands more from the modern musician than every before, and has become saturated beyond belief with mostly subpar music.
    As a result, the Irish scene is generally regarded as "99% ****e" by most radio heads and those who control what gets played. Thats why they get their music from abroad as its safe, proven and less risky for them when selling ad space (which is their revenue). This in turn leads people here to buy this music which only feeds the downward spiral. I understand that the radio stations are a business and have to make money, but its a bit hypocritical and underhand when they sport the "we play Irish music!" banner, and their playlist contains U2 and the Script.

My advice, is that if you're really serious about giving your music a shot....and I mean REALLY serious, then you need to look beyond these shores. This is doubly prominent for niche genres such as non-indie rock (Foo Fighters, QOTSA etc) and metal. Popular genres such as pop and indie rock (vampire weekend etc <- sorry hipsters, they are popular now, but then again you probably dont like them anymore! :rolleyes:) have a better chance of standing out or at least be seen as less risk, but even if you are an indie rock band, you're chances are better off if you focus on other markets outside of Ireland.

Get your band tight live, get your CD made to a professional level either by yourself or hire out a studio. Get some t-shirts made, a good looking dedicated website made (ie, a www.yourbandname.com) and get the social networking site pages made and populated. Think outside the box with promotions, give away free stickers with your bands logo, give away free singles...whatever you can do.

On a smaller scale, while we have something that some may call a "scene", whatever we do have is not nearly enough. Maybe its our Irish nature, but we are too competitive and we don't support our own nearly enough. Inter band relationships are often very competitive. Other bands feck off after their slot at multi-band gigs. The attitude that "everyones **** but me" is rampant. Its something that we do to ourselves, but its something we can get out of by ourselves. It jus takes a change of thought though, which is something I doubt I'll see any day soon.

But for the big picture, with a view of really making it big, we as a nation can't compete. We are a tiny island of a few million whose entire population would be the fanbase of a decent American band. Honestly, how could we compete? The old saying comes to mind...

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! ;)

(Sorry for the long post, and thanks if you read it! :) )

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    not sure why this is in MP, but ...

Anyway, there's almost no money in this or any scene for bands that don't have a booking agent or a (decent) record label.

It's not just having the agent or the record label - marketing really helps though.

I've been at a few of your gigs. And it's not just family and friends going. I bumped into a few of my friends (who aren't even casual gig goers) at one of your gigs who went because they'd seen something on a blog somewhere.

Chris - you're band has a lot going for it. I think though - there is one or two niggling little things hold ye back. And it's not not having the agent/record/company etc. If you could over come these things I think you could become very big very fast.

Your band is head and shoulders above probably nearly all of the competition. But you're not packing them in at Whelans - there's a missing piece in puzzle.

I've been at nearly all your gigs and you've never even said hello.
    If you wanna play in decent venues, rent them and expect to take a loss...

Which is pay to play. This actually destroys any scene. Venues get taken over only by people who can afford to pay for the venue. You get guys in well paying jobs and their mediocre hobby bands wrecking the nights. They wonder why people are not turning up. They have all the expensive gear, professional sounding demos - sorry, albums etc.

Then there's the shower with huge family and friends - bring ten cousins and their friends.

More mediocrity. The casual gig goers are put off - because it's very unpleasant to be blasted out of it (the worst bands are always that bit too loud) by bands who are just not that entertaining - who are just the opposite. Who suck.

It's like this - there are some people who can pick up a bashed up guitar with old strings at a party - and within a minute they'll have a crowd gathered around them asking for more -they may not be able to sing or play very well - they just have a thing. There are other people - who will pick up the guitar, and they may be able to play guitar solos for Norwegian death metal records - but they will clear the room faster than you can say flatulence.

A lot of bands - especially the pushy ones - are made up of the kind of people who clear rooms.

I've seen the same thing with DJs at parties - some just clear the fffing room - others have it banging.
    If you do this often enough, have decent material, put on a good show and are good at promo, people WILL notice.

But that's just noticing...

No people noticing you do a good show and have good material is the end in itself. And it builds from there, if you're lucky. Outside of having good material and being able to put on a show there is absolutely nothing else to a band.
    if you want more you just have to invest more and try harder/be better than your peers.

And it can become a money spending arms race. Whittling the field not down to the most talented entertainers but those in jobs that pay over 40 grand a year and the children of the rich.

And it gets to the point of ridiculousness - and this is the case for a well known Irish indie act (been in the English charts, NME etc) . Their bloody parents paid for the recording or their album and the videos etc (not the major record label it was released on). They play gigs around Europe, they get booked - people come to see them (after all they've been in the NME) But there is nothing really to love about their music, so they don't really sell any. Another well known Irish indie act paid for the entire recording of their album out of their paychecks and it was released on a major UK indie. I'm not going to name them - because I don't want it coming back on me.

It's a joke if it gets to the point where "Oh, mr record company, we've scraped together a 100 grand from our families. Will you hook us up with the production and publicity people and we'll pay for everything and ye can release it".
    There's absolutely no secret formula to success other than be good, make friends, work harder than your competition and keep trying.

The secret formula is actually blind luck. I won't give a long explanation. Read the black swan by Nicholas Taleb.

People who work very hard and have talent fail all the time - just through luck.

It's luck if you run into someone who will help you. It's also luck if you hit a few bastards who cause you serious problems. It's good blind luck if you can get a great group of musics together. If you have rich parents.

It's luck if you record something great - but just by chance nearly everyone who hears it is not in a great mood when they do. That it slips through the cracks.
    Yes, some folks have special relationships with business folks, but unless the material is there... it means very little, other than help with exposure...

Exposure exposes you to more luck.

The main thing IMO, for mainstream success, is having a good vocalist.

Or one people want to roid. Though she definitely can sing too.
    Followed by good material. In that order. People won't even pretend to give you money or help if your singer isn't special.

It kind of goes without saying. If you don't have the songs or the singer - you really don't have a band.
    One final thing, some of the best scenes in the world are tiny... blaming the size of the scene for anything is a cop-out.

It's hard to know if "scenes" ever really exist. I know you definitely have them in Techno. I would say there hasn't been a real Irish music "scene" since the 90s. The 80s also had a scene. Pre U2 the "scene" was dominated by horrible Irish show bands - the hits of the day with an agricultural twist.

There is a problem that pay to play gutted the music scene. The venues have to work at fostering people who are entertaining - and keep the room clearers out.

And the same can be said for a lot of the people involved in things like film in Ireland. They're room clearers who've had the money - and sometimes connections to set themselves up. Before the crash - more films were getting made in Ireland than ever before - but fewer films were getting distribution. The room clearers had taken over. Making drek no one wants to see. Destroying the industry for people who maybe have something to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

krd wrote: »

Well put .....

There's also the question if no one cares after much exposure, what conclusion can we reasonably come to ?

It's not just having the agent or the record label - marketing really helps though.

I've been at a few of your gigs. And it's not just family and friends going. I bumped into a few of my friends (who aren't even casual gig goers) at one of your gigs who went because they'd seen something on a blog somewhere.

Chris - you're band has a lot going for it. I think though - there is one or two niggling little things hold ye back. And it's not not having the agent/record/company etc. If you could over come these things I think you could become very big very fast.

Your band is head and shoulders above probably nearly all of the competition. But you're not packing them in at Whelans - there's a missing piece in puzzle.

I've been at nearly all your gigs and you've never even said hello.

Which is pay to play. This actually destroys any scene. Venues get taken over only by people who can afford to pay for the venue. You get guys in well paying jobs and their mediocre hobby bands wrecking the nights. They wonder why people are not turning up. They have all the expensive gear, professional sounding demos - sorry, albums etc.

Then there's the shower with huge family and friends - bring ten cousins and their friends.

More mediocrity. The casual gig goers are put off - because it's very unpleasant to be blasted out of it (the worst bands are always that bit too loud) by bands who are just not that entertaining - who are just the opposite. Who suck.

It's like this - there are some people who can pick up a bashed up guitar with old strings at a party - and within a minute they'll have a crowd gathered around them asking for more -they may not be able to sing or play very well - they just have a thing. There are other people - who will pick up the guitar, and they may be able to play guitar solos for Norwegian death metal records - but they will clear the room faster than you can say flatulence.

A lot of bands - especially the pushy ones - are made up of the kind of people who clear rooms.

I've seen the same thing with DJs at parties - some just clear the fffing room - others have it banging.

No people noticing you do a good show and have good material is the end in itself. And it builds from there, if you're lucky. Outside of having good material and being able to put on a show there is absolutely nothing else to a band.

And it can become a money spending arms race. Whittling the field not down to the most talented entertainers but those in jobs that pay over 40 grand a year and the children of the rich.

And it gets to the point of ridiculousness - and this is the case for a well known Irish indie act (been in the English charts, NME etc) . Their bloody parents paid for the recording or their album and the videos etc (not the major record label it was released on). They play gigs around Europe, they get booked - people come to see them (after all they've been in the NME) But there is nothing really to love about their music, so they don't really sell any. Another well known Irish indie act paid for the entire recording of their album out of their paychecks and it was released on a major UK indie. I'm not going to name them - because I don't want it coming back on me.

It's a joke if it gets to the point where "Oh, mr record company, we've scraped together a 100 grand from our families. Will you hook us up with the production and publicity people and we'll pay for everything and ye can release it".

The secret formula is actually blind luck. I won't give a long explanation. Read the black swan by Nicholas Taleb.

People who work very hard and have talent fail all the time - just through luck.

It's luck if you run into someone who will help you. It's also luck if you hit a few bastards who cause you serious problems. It's good blind luck if you can get a great group of musics together. If you have rich parents.

It's luck if you record something great - but just by chance nearly everyone who hears it is not in a great mood when they do. That it slips through the cracks.

Or one people want to roid. Though she definitely can sing too.

It kind of goes without saying. If you don't have the songs or the singer - you really don't have a band.

It's hard to know if "scenes" ever really exist. I know you definitely have them in Techno. I would say there hasn't been a real Irish music "scene" since the 90s. The 80s also had a scene. Pre U2 the "scene" was dominated by horrible Irish show bands - the hits of the day with an agricultural twist.

There is a problem that pay to play gutted the music scene. The venues have to work at fostering people who are entertaining - and keep the room clearers out.

And the same can be said for a lot of the people involved in things like film in Ireland. They're room clearers who've had the money - and sometimes connections to set themselves up. Before the crash - more films were getting made in Ireland than ever before - but fewer films were getting distribution. The room clearers had taken over. Making drek no one wants to see. Destroying the industry for people who maybe have something to say.

Hey man,

Thanks for all of, I agree with most of it.. ;)

One thing: Come up and say hi man... There's almost nothing I'd like to do more than have a nice long chat with you. :)

Really.

• Advertisement

@Drumdrum - 100% guaranteed with the "look elsewhere" thing. Almost all of our business stuff is aimed at the UK, and most of the serious enquiries we get are from the UK. The Irish scene does exist, but it's a niche/speciality scene. Hilariously, the Irish festivals are full of bands that sound very different to the Dublin club bands. In other words things like Richter bands are quite popular in venues, but mainstream stuff dominates the festivals. We're quite mainstream and the popular niche players don't really appeal to us and have no interest in us. Put another way, we had a well known DJ tell us he couldn't get behind our single because it sounded too mainstream, for a local radio show. [scratches head]

@KRD One thing I meant to say is this, most of the gigs bands get offered are pretty crap. We have decided we are better off playing in places with decent sound systems, places that allow us to best represent our sound, and this means, essentially, renting venues ourselves.

Its one thing to say pay-to-play is bad for a scene, but unless bands like us have meaningful alternatives it's a meaningless point.

By renting venues we can at least control the environment , the bands we play with and the aproximate date. I've spent ages being both at the mercy of booking agents and renting venues; I'd much rather rent venues and put on our own gigs then deal with venue booking agents for the reasons listed.

I don't like the fact that most bands have to pay to play, but...

Here's a story, one we've all heard, but anyway ... When I was first one the Boston scene my band was v young, two underage for drinking, we booked a gig at a v well known venue and brought a ton of folks, mostly 18+, and were psyched.

After the gig the booking agent said, "your crowd only spent 200 on beer; you can't play here again for 6 months".

No system is perfect.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Well put .....

There's also the question if no one cares after much exposure, what conclusion can we reasonably come to ?

I don't think it's easy to reach a conclusion.

There are two things that can happen.

One:

It can be a fluke. The music can be good, the look can be good, everything is good. It simply does not catch. And this happens a lot with things in popular culture. Something just does not catch. And in the past at least, record companies used to realise this - and if they had something good, it might take several launches before it took. A&M had that problem with the Carpenters - it just wouldn't happen - and then suddenly it did.

It's actually the same peculiarity as makes a fluke like Mumford & Sons - I think they're good....but they're not that good. they're riding high in the Pirate Bay top one hundred music torrents (pirate bay only real chart that counts) They are a global phenomenon. They actually sound like they've ripped off Irish indie bands. The guy sounds like he's Irish - he looks like a fat Irish guy.
    he might be one of the few people in England who was ever into Irish indie and cleverly ripped it off because he knew no one else had ever heard it. Over 24 million that's 000,000 naughts, views on youtube.

Mumford are a black swan.

Two:

I'm not going to name names but. Say the instance of people getting a lot exposure and going nowhere. Lets take a hypothetical act. All the members are from wealthy well connected families. So many people working in the Irish media are there because they were related to people etc.

They get on the radio, they get on the TV, they get written up in print, they get good gigs around town - they have flash gear - they have people buzzing around them - there seems to be a buzz. People even go to the gigs.

There seems to be a buzz. But it's not a real one.

Because the songs or the music is just not there. Not even near there.

This also happens to major label record companies - sometimes they spend an absolute fortune on something that just isn't there.

Now less - because they don't have the money. But there was a time they'd spend ludicrous amounts of money on flops. But they could afford it - one monster record could pull in hundreds of millions.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Hey man,

Thanks for all of, I agree with most of it.. ;)

One thing: Come up and say hi man... There's almost nothing I'd like to do more than have a nice long chat with you. :)

Really.

I get a perverse kick out of you not recognising me. And it's a lot of fun to watch the thing from the outside. Plus I think Rob wants to beat me up - he's sore after me calling him a monster on facebook. Every gig I've been to since that circus freak has been trying to sniff me out. He's come really close too - like that bit in Jurassic park where the T-Rex bends down and looks in the window of the car.

If Rob reads this and gets a little sore - I'll just say that he does actually look quite cool. There's a lot of visual potential there. Because, let's face it - if he was in the circus people would pay to come see him. Rob, not saying you're ugly - you're a sexy beast.

Elaine, has a lot of charisma too. Though I don't think she really knows it - or really knows how to use it. She's also very good looking. Though there have been bad photos or her - and She's also used make up that didn't work well with stage lights. In the flesh she's so good looking it's scary. At least she scares me sh1tless.

We're quite mainstream and the popular niche players don't really appeal to us and have no interest in us. Put another way, we had a well known DJ tell us he couldn't get behind our single because it sounded too mainstream, for a local radio show. [scratches head]

I actually know what he means. And not saying you should sound like Guided By Voices. I think it's a case that ye've played it too safe - even mainstream stuff needs an edginess to it.

I think you've got great songs - in that you can do earworms - but the what you're getting down on record doesn't do them justice. If I think about them and play them back in my head - I can hear great hooks - but it's not working as well as it should be on the recordings.
    One thing I meant to say is this, most of the gigs bands get offered are pretty crap. We have decided we are better off playing in places with decent sound systems, places that allow us to best represent our sound, and this means, essentially, renting venues ourselves.

Chris, I have one massive advantage over you. I have been to most of your gigs. And You.......Where you have been performing..In a certain sense you haven't been at any of them.

As for sound systems, it's actually been quite patchy. Sometimes the has been great - some times it hasn't. You might be surprised to know where you sounded better and worse.

And I know it's a bit late to be saying this since your about to do a big bit of recording next month. But what ye should have done - and not for exposure - ye should have played every piss pot you could get a slot in, on the worst sound systems. To get a real feel for what you're doing. The worse the sound system the better. That way you have to work at it to make it sound better. The band could have gotten more into the feel of the songs - figured out how to make them work better. Elaine, could really learn how to tap into the magic. Because sometimes she is magic and sometimes she's not. I think if she'd had to battle against brutal sound systems a few times - really learn how to take control and make it happen all the time. And the same for the rest of the band.

I've been meaning to get in touch - but between one thing and another. If you want a word let me know - I can Skype.

But objectively and honestly - I think you really have something there. Something that hundreds or even thousands of Irish bands do just not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

What do you mean?

That venues pay over €500 a gig to unknown bands?

Sorry, I should have explained...
    The point was that complete unknown's were expecting to get a €500 guarantee!!

They'd promise 'a great crowd like we get at all our gigs'... And so on...

g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

KRD for president :D

You should be writing for a living man. Chris is right, you speak your mind and take no prisoners.

The truth can hurt sometimes, but it can also sweep away the bull ****. You can accept it and move on or ignore it and stand still.

Make that a room for 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Some great posts in this thread. Sorry I don't have anything to add. I've agreed with pretty much everything that was written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just looking up something there on Wikipedia.

The population of Montreal isn't a whole lot more than Dublin yet it has an infinitely better music scene at the moment and has had for a good while.

Ireland has a strong tradition in pop/rock music but not anymore it seems.

What's the cause for this?

flyswatter wrote: »

The population of Montreal isn't a whole lot more than Dublin yet it has an infinitely better music scene at the moment and has had for a good while.

Canada has a much larger population as a whole, so your overall target audience is a lot larger, in countrywide release terms. Hence, there is more money to be made in the grander scheme of things, and more money potential = less risk for the labels. Montreal also happens to be a major city where the opportunities to play and record are, not to mention where record labels have their outposts located too.

Its not that big of a mystery IMO. :)

Dublin has a much smaller potential countrywide audience, has generally bad attitudes among its younger bands and has feck all opportunities in it. Any opportunities that do arise often are subject to unfair nepotism and "friends of friends" scenarios.

Then again, its not much different where you go I suppose....sure isnt it all about "who you know"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

drumdrum wrote: »

Canada has a much larger population as a whole, so your overall target audience is a lot larger, in countrywide release terms. Hence, there is more money to be made in the grander scheme of things, and more money potential = less risk for the labels. Montreal also happens to be a major city where the opportunities to play and record are, not to mention where record labels have their outposts located too.

Its not that big of a mystery IMO. :)

Dublin has a much smaller potential countrywide audience, has generally bad attitudes among its younger bands and has feck all opportunities in it. Any opportunities that do arise often are subject to unfair nepotism and "friends of friends" scenarios.

Then again, its not much different where you go I suppose....sure isnt it all about "who you know"? ;)
    What are these bad attitudes? I was really into The Immediate, then they split up. Last band from the republic I really liked. Best of luck to Chris also, hopefully will be at a Riot Tapes gig in the future! Liking their stuff so far!

• Advertisement

What are these bad attitudes?

Ah I just find that particularly with younger, less experienced bands, they tend to be very arrogant and consider most other unsigned bands crap. I get it that it can be competitive, but you get alot further with people in general if you support or at least TRY to support them and each other.

Just grinds my gears when other bands feck off after their set at gigs when others have given them the respect to listen to their set, even if they were amazing or amazingly ****e!

(Must...stay.....POSITIVE.... :D )

Advertisement