Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Scene In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Being more commercial sounding is not a guarantee of commercial success.

If it can be a commercial hit why would it need support from the government?

The role of government in arts funding should be more altruistic and like whiterob said support of music programmes and such would be a better way to spend the money.

I'd prefer arts funding going towards something that might not necessarily be made otherwise rather than something that is made with the intention of racking back in the moolah. It's not a perfect system and a lot of wilfully obtuse can be produced in the process but I'd rather the Irish government was funding up and coming playwrights then Riverdance.

i agree. i dont think there is currently any reason for government funding on commercial ventures. funding should be kept for non-commercial entities such as theatre groups and schools music programs. its hard enough for them to get funding as it is without stretching that funding even thinner on the ground.

but i do agree the commercial industry here needs help. if you want to run a band/studio/label to a commercial level then i think there should be some sort of start-up package in place geared towards the industry by a body like the IDA or similiar. currently if you go to them they look at you like you have some sort of mental illness for even considering a start-up business let alone one in the creative arts industry.. and yes, ive been there and gotten laughed at :o

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Basically, I wasn't hugely clear, so let me rectify that.

I meant government money should be used to support commercial stuff, which would result in the government having more money, some of which it could use o support more arty stuff.

Right now the government supports mostly arty stuff, which offers no return on investment, and in turn that means that government funded bodies like IMRO are begging artists for financial support.

That's just creating a money pit ...

As far as government support of labels, that could be either through low interest loans, or a million other ways... it doesn't have to be through direct investment, but it should be wit the attitude that the labels try and return that investment in money or time... create expectations of success...

Re: ASIWYFA... I think that niche bands are grand; I love mostly niche bands, but my love needs to be separate from what I want for the Irish music scene, which is for it to be something more than an incubator that other countries reap the rewards from.

Hope that's more clear. :)

that makes more sense. I definitely agree with the part about the government loaning the money and expecting a return as opposed to just handing over a huge chunk of cash.

But then isn't that what banks are(were?) for. And I know this is going to sound incredibly harsh but wouldn't a bank be more effective at ensuring a return on investment than a Government department?

I suppose what makes me slightly cynical about the idea is that it's something I've heard put out there by really awful bands trying to prolong their career. For example, I saw a documentary recently about the government funding the music scene and Humanzi were on saying "Our work is as important to society as doctor's so I think the Government should give us 5,000 to record our album in New York". This is near enough verbatim.

Let's deconstuct this statement:

"Our work is as important to society as doctor's" - No, it's not. There's a vital difference in that doctors are needed and wanted. I'm sorry but if your album only sells 500 copies after your band has been given support slots with every major band that plays dublin and your album is the subject of a massive marketing campaign and you're featured regularly in the NME, maybe it's time to rethink a few things. If the product isn't good enough it won't sell and maybe that's not the government's fault. Maybe they should look closer to home

"I think the Government should give us 5,000" - They did, it's called Social Welfare

"to record our album in New York" - Right, so you think the government should show faith in the Irish Music scene by handing tax money over to you but you clearly don't have enough faith in it yourself to invest in an Irish Producer.

Another thing that strikes me, and this may sound pretty cynical, is that seeing as how the most commercially successful Irish act doesn't actually pay tax here, it might not seem worth the government's while to invest in helping a band achieve huge success

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

whiterob81 wrote: »

"Our work is as important to society as doctor's"

Was that really said?

If anything like that is ever said it's a sign of delusion of gargantuan proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    Was that really said?

If anything like that is ever said it's a sign of delusion of gargantuan proportions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IE&hl=en-GB&v=EoMAgpJABK0

A sentiment echoed by the Arts council as well. Makes them look very idiotic…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Basically, I wasn't hugely clear, so let me rectify that.

I meant government money should be used to support commercial stuff, which would result in the government having more money, some of which it could use o support more arty stuff.

Right now the government supports mostly arty stuff, which offers no return on investment, and in turn that means that government funded bodies like IMRO are begging artists for financial support.

That's just creating a money pit ...

As far as government support of labels, that could be either through low interest loans, or a million other ways... it doesn't have to be through direct investment, but it should be wit the attitude that the labels try and return that investment in money or time... create expectations of success...

Re: ASIWYFA... I think that niche bands are grand; I love mostly niche bands, but my love needs to be separate from what I want for the Irish music scene, which is for it to be something more than an incubator that other countries reap the rewards from.

Hope that's more clear. :)

A bit like a 'Record Company' ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

- Oh god, the pain is too much…

- Doctor, can't you see this man is dying!?!! Give him 10 tracks of Humanzi stat!!!

- No, no, please, just let me die…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IE&hl=en-GB&v=EoMAgpJABK0

A sentiment echoed by the Arts council as well. Makes them look very idiotic…

Jesus FUKKING Christ....I cannot get over the level of nonsensical bullsh1t being spouted in that video.

No wonder the 'scene' in Ireland is fcuked if it's populated by the detestable gimps in that video.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

If Humanzi only managed to sell 500 albums, how did they manage to get that kind of exposure and high level support gigs in the first place?

Connections I'm guessing?

I remember being around that 'scene' when them and Mainline were breaking through. There was a torrent of bullsh1t hype flooding the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

jtsuited wrote: »
    Jesus FUKKING Christ....I cannot get over the level of nonsensical bullsh1t being spouted in that video.

No wonder the 'scene' in Ireland is fcuked if it's populated by the detestable gimps in that video.

Unbelievable.

If you didn't know otherwise - the video would look like very dry, very clever comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I think, at this point in my "career"/"life"/"whatever" that a government can barely function as a bank, much less an arbiter of what "art" is "valuable" to an "industry".

I think, as a bank, at least, there's a bit of a concept of how to value potential return on a loan... assets, track record, etc. This all sounds very cynical, but I think it's much worse to have tax money thrown at artists, in an attempt to make them commercially successful, when their art is very niche, by almost all accounts.

I l.o.v.e niche stuff... most of the stuff I listen to is not in any way commercially successful, but... I don't think my tax dollars should support it. That's just my opinion.

Oh and to whomever said, sounding commercial != commercial success.. agreed, but what's a better bet at succeeding commercially: sounding commercial or making music that's niche...?

krd wrote: »
    If you didn't know otherwise - the video would look like very dry, very clever comedy.

We recently interacted with someone in that video and let's just say it adds a whole other level of hilarity when you know some of them...

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Another thing that strikes me, and this may sound pretty cynical, is that seeing as how the most commercially successful Irish act doesn't actually pay tax here, it might not seem worth the government's while to invest in helping a band achieve huge success

I think you'd need to change the system to protect from exactly this sort of thing... that being said, part of this is about an Irish label or labels, not just about the artists... as businesses in Ireland have discovered, a chunk of something is better than nought... right now, when Royseven makes money it goes to a US company, when the Script make money it goes to the UK, etc., etc.

And, if there was a label here that could actually compete artists would have an incentive to stay here (maybe not enough of an incentive, but more than they have now...)

We recently interacted with someone in that video and let's just say it adds a whole other level of hilarity when you know some of them...

I've actually "interacted" with someone in that video too.

I bought some second hand equipment off them.

And They Were An Absolute Prick. A smarmy rude condescending prick.

And they did prove my theory: if you're a prick, it comes across in your music. If you suck, so does your music.

I think you'd need to change the system to protect from exactly this sort of thing... that being said, part of this is about an Irish label or labels, not just about the artists... as businesses in Ireland have discovered, a chunk of something is better than nought... right now, when Royseven makes money it goes to a US company, when the Script make money it goes to the UK, etc., etc.

I think something really interesting is about to happen.

HMV have announced a new business strategy. They're getting out of selling CD's and into buying more music venues - getting into stuff like that.

I think it could be a really great thing for music. Since the business of HMV is selling music and not bolloxes selling beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

This post may seem a little harsh, and I'm sure it could rub people up the wrong way, but here I go....

Ireland doesnt have the potential in its borders to let any band "make it" so to peak. This is true to popular-genre bands and even more so for niche bands. We just dont have a population or a market size thats big enough to get a band famous enough.

The most you may get is on the levels of ASIWYFA and Villagers and their ilk where you are big here, but nowhere else. Not to knock these bands, I think that they are both great! But unless you focus your efforts elsewhere (as these bands do) you are doomed to be a big fish in a small pond, making less than the guy at your gig who works in an office from 9-5.

If you arent big here then fine. But even if you are, dont bitch and whine about the music industry if you've not given yourself a decent shot at a bigger market first. Could be that your music just isnt "in" at the moment, or that you simply arent good enough on a large scale. There are tons of factors any of which could be a reason you never know of as to why you don't "make it".
    I personally, get sick and tired of hearing bands with a semi-success here in Ireland who bitch and moan about the scene when they aren't even willing to give their own music a shot where their market really is. Music is not something that is held in by geographical borders. Its is universal, as too are its markets and unfortunately for us, due to socio-geographic reasons, the markets just aren't in Ireland (exception being Irish Trad music...maybe...)

If you can get overseas, then great. Get over to your markets and do us Irish proud! :) If you can't, then thats life, deal with the fact that your semi-success state WILL die out as you get older and that you're not destined to be a rock star. You certainly wont be the first or the last person to realise this or that this happens to. And its not always fair....people have lives and with lives come mortgages, jobs, women/men, babies etc etc... all stuff that tie people down which can prove problematic for truly ambitious bands. And in the grand scheme of things, you can't knock people for wanting lives outside of an industry where there is a TINY chance of getting any return in it. People need and deserve to be happy in any band, and if that means a job and kids then who are you to deny them this. It may mean parting ways, but you're better off deciding this now before you take a serious punt overseas for all parties involved.

On a different note, artists like ASIWYFA and Villagers are annomalies in the Irish scene. Out of the thousands of bands around Ireland, these guys are the "one in a million" guys, and not just out of sheer luck, though that does have a part (read on! :) ).

Hard work and practice, in combination with luck, have gotten these guys to where they are today, which in the grander scheme of things is not that far when you think about it, but further than most bands will get. And fair play to them! "Luck" is a funny business as its the word we attach to the "xfactor" or whatever you want to call it thats missing in the band with great players, but is there in other bands with lesser members. Its not something to be knocked, its something to be grateful for as nearly everything in the music biz is "who you know", instead of "what you know". A bands "luck" could be that the bassist is related to a record executive or an established producer or something. Could be any number of things.

Sure that band "Fox Avenue"... one of the band members or their manager ir something is a DJ on a major Irish radio station. I think its Spin 103.8 or something...I'm not 100% sure which one. Hes gotten them support act slots in the O2 as well as air time on Irish radio stations. Its completely "who you know"...
    Obviously, this is a major asset for any band to have and they would be STUPID (as would most bands!) to ignore this asset in lieu of trying to be taken with fellow-musicians-credibility as a "serious band". Its easy to knock em...I sure as hell aint a fan, but I dont begrduge them to taking an easier way to getting noticed.
    Should it be this way? Maybe, maybe not, but it is and to think otherwise is naive...

This is getting too long for even me to bear, and I can feel the beer-sleeps setting in, so I'll rap this up. Bands here bickering about the Irish scene have to realise that the scene left Ireland years ago to fields more lucrative. Simple as that. If you are content with being a big fish in a tiny pond (and some people are...nothing wrong with that!) then fine, but you cant moan about it. If you gave it a shot, and it didnt happen for you, then great, but I doubt you would be vocalising your opinions on boards.ie for all to see. Its the ones that can't or won't take the punt that are the most vocal ones. I understand that its a very tough thing to do to just "up-and-go" from (potentially) a job and loved ones, but its sacrifice that has to be taken if you REALLY intend to make it.

Most of us won't in our lives. Some of us will and will return with or tail between our legs, but with their heads held high with a sense of pride of having given it a "proper go". The RARE ones of these will actually make it somewhat big.....but these people are so rare that they come from these shores once every few decades.

Still...after all this ranting etc.....its definitely a dream worth chasing! ;)

If it's just 'who you know' then all you'd have to do is get to know 'them' and you're sucessful ... yes ?

Lads have ye been robbing from this ?

http://10k.aneventapart.com/Uploads/262/#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sex and drugs and rock and roll
    Are very good indeed

I def feel an artist in Ireland today needs to be focusing 90% on the UK/US/etc., but... I also am part of the Irish scene so wish it'd be better for those coming after me...

• Advertisement

All of that is incidental ...

You just need to be good and lucky - and one begets the other.
    What anyone else on 'the scene' is doing is immaterial.

But it all starts with being good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

have to agree - being good is everything

its pretty obvious that if you put it out , stick with it , and if you are good ,
    cream rises to the top .

if you put it out and you dont get any where - you have to face the facts .

personally i am prepared to accept those odds, and whatever happens enjoy the journey cos that is a large part of it all.

one last thing is that if it is going to happen ,
    it will happen when fate says so - not you
    it only happens when you are ready , and fate is ready.

the main thing though if you really want it - is to commit 100% to it in what ever way possible and NEVER GIVE UP .

fate likes commitment.

PaulBrewer wrote: »

Well, and I don't really have an answer for this, but at different times and different places there have been "scenes" capable of sustaining musicians. There hasn't been a music scene capable of sustaining Irish rock bands for years. If you had a bit of a name you could tour around the country and make enough money to live on. People were able to go professional long before they had a record deal. Now even with a record deal, they might not give you a bean to live on.

If you go back all the way to the showband period, it was possible to make a very good living and not be that good at all.

Back in the 90s, guys I knew, formed a band - and without playing a gig anywhere or playing together. Whelan's paid them an advance for a residency. I think a Wednesday night over a few months. I can't remember the amount of money, but it was enough to buy equipment. They really couldn't play. They did this freeform jazz/funk that was atrocious. There was some "connections" element in all this. They disbanded shortly afterwards because they hadn't had any "success". They were awful.

There was another band in the 90s, I can't remember their name, they were friends of a friend. They were actually making a living gigging. But they were a very small band, and it was noisy punk indie. But there were enough venues paying them a few quid here and there for them to live on. Then they signed a 360 with an English label. And the label actually stopped them from playing gigs. The label gave them no money to live on. I saw them play at secret gig - they were paranoid about getting caught. They might never have been huge. But had they not signed the 360 they would have been able to keep going. Funnily, I think they're "connections" help get them that disastrous deal.

Scenes really get going when you have a few good bands around and people get into the habit of going to see these bands. It's like the showband days. Pubs and dance halls weren't paying bands out the goodness of their hearts. They knew if they didn't, they wouldn't have a crowd.

I don't know what the answer is - all I know is the country is completely fffk'd on so many levels the least of anyone's worries is a vibrant local music scene.

I've heard something recently - about England. Record companies are signing people BUT they're only letting 1 out of ten of the bands they've signed make records. Does anyone know if this is true?

@krd it's not just the uk, a huge number of labels don't release a lot of the records the label makes.

There's a well-funded, but essentially unknown Irish label that I know for a fact has recorded many records, maybe two dozen, an only two or three have come out.

One of the big "tricks" discussed earlier in this thread is recording a killer record before you talk to labels seriosuly. One of the many reasons a lot of musicians benefit from this is that is increases the odds that their record will see the light of day.

Sad but true.

This is good *general* advice, but ask Jedward how they made it. Or, say, "Collective Soul". Sometimes, luck is all you need, being good is almost never enough for success. Being good can open doors, but... So many things can close them.... Hard work generates opportunities and creates an artist that can take advantage of opportunities, but without good luck, even hard work can be meaningless.

I've told you guys the story about the guy whose career was ended by pickles, right? No amount of talent or hardwork can stop shi like that from happening, and no lack of talent stopped Jedward.

I've told you guys the story about the guy whose career was ended by pickles, right? No amount of talent or hardwork can stop shi like that from happening, and no lack of talent stopped Jedward.

No, what's the pickles story.

But Jedward aren't really musicians. They're television performers.

Define 'Making it'

I think something really interesting is about to happen.

HMV have announced a new business strategy. They're getting out of selling CD's and into buying more music venues - getting into stuff like that.

I think it could be a really great thing for music. Since the business of HMV is selling music and not bolloxes selling beer.

HMVs business is surviving - they've 2 year stay of execution.

If that involves selling beer you can be sure they will.

Royseven, I predict, will not be money makers !

I've heard something recently - about England. Record companies are signing people BUT they're only letting 1 out of ten of the bands they've signed make records. Does anyone know if this is true?

Nothing particularly new there - the development deal has been a mainstay of the industry for years.

• Advertisement

Define 'Making it'

Where your work pays off and you can make a living from your music.

To do something with your life you enjoy?

Just looking at this blog of 90s Irish music - was listening to some of the tracks. Some of these bands were really awful. On every level. They even make some of the worst stuff around now look like genius.

http://boxsetgo.blogspot.com/2008/01/alternative-ireland-reason-god-invented_26.html

Some of those bands never deserved anything like the attention they got. And I do remember seeing tiny little bands that were around that were far more interesting, better musicians etc. listening to some of the guitar and drums, everything actually on some of those 90s records - they sound brutal. How did these people ever get any attention?

Advertisement