Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Should be but as it says in the ad not to be used to operate a cig:
    Note: This item is only for charging not for cigarette!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all! Could someone tell me if this is a safe option? I wouldn't be that clued in on this sort of thing. So basically, I am looking to power something with a cig lighter plug, but I want it hidden. So the following work be a good shout, if it was safe..

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1M-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter-DC12V-Extension-ATC-Fuse-Tap-Holder-Lead/263321518209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you dont need to be able to take it in and out you would be better off snipping the plug off and crimping it in. What are you looking to run? The wire on that yolk looks very thin and the cig socket very cheap.

CIP4 wrote: »

Looks decent value for money compared to a 2.0d yoke :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nothing at the minute was thinking of changing the last couple of months but haven’t got anytime to look at anything yet will be the summer. Would like an A5 252 Quattro, S3 Saloon possibly, would also like to look at the new model 3 series that’s just out but not sure if they have hit showrooms yet. Kind of happy enough with the A4 though so not really in a rush.

Edit: seems they have them alright 330i
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-2019-191-bmw-3-series-330-m-spor-dublin-fpa-201903115783236

Would you consider something larger? I've been looking at cars for after we move house later this year (very happy with my e60 for now) and I was looking at the V10 S8.
    I've never really been an Audi fan before but I'm really starting to get a grá for the larger ones. It's a pity we didnt get the V10 Q7 tdi here
    S8
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s8-5-2-v10-quattro-original-irish-car-fu/20365756

Even an S6
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s6-5-2-v10-435-bhp/20882682

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Neither would be as fun or as fast as an S3, also a pair of money pits..10 year old V10 with a vag auto box of that era, you'd buy an S3 and stage 2 it for what one of those would drain from you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The Ad for the S6 - "Sweet Ride" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Augeo wrote: »

Jesus maybe I'm old fashioned, but I wouldnt call paying nearly 60k for a 4 pot 3 series decent value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

And not even a new one at that. I do like the new 3, but it'll be a 3 or 4 year old one I'll be looking for. I bought a 4 year old 3 series last year for 30% of the retail price, and it's hard to see past that depreciation

Jesus maybe I'm old fashioned, but I wouldnt call paying nearly 60k for a 4 pot 3 series decent value

I did say compared to a 2.0d yoke.
    Lads pay that for 4 pot VW Golfs :)
    The days of 6 and 8 cylinder ICE cars are largely gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Nothing at the minute was thinking of changing the last couple of months but haven’t got anytime to look at anything yet will be the summer. Would like an A5 252 Quattro, S3 Saloon possibly, would also like to look at the new model 3 series that’s just out but not sure if they have hit showrooms yet. Kind of happy enough with the A4 though so not really in a rush.

Edit: seems they have them alright 330i
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-2019-191-bmw-3-series-330-m-spor-dublin-fpa-201903115783236

Looks expensive to me

330e is just as quick with 250bhp and instant torque from the electric motor

Much cheaper to run too, short trips under 30km on electric and about 10k cheaper brand new

Anyone buying brand new are just throwing money away, they lose 20k depreciation in the 1st year alone.

You can get 181/182's in the UK for 30k all in

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902144943076?make=BMW&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1501&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&model=3%20SERIES&year-from=2018&sort=sponsored&postcode=m52ty&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Would love on myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Augeo wrote: »

It’s a lovely looking car outside but I’d still prefer the A5 interior. The 330i is only 248bhp I thought it would have been closer to 300bhp.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Would you consider something larger? I've been looking at cars for after we move house later this year (very happy with my e60 for now) and I was looking at the V10 S8.
    I've never really been an Audi fan before but I'm really starting to get a grá for the larger ones. It's a pity we didnt get the V10 Q7 tdi here
    S8
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s8-5-2-v10-quattro-original-irish-car-fu/20365756

Even an S6
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s6-5-2-v10-435-bhp/20882682

Ah tbh I wouldn’t be going any older than 2 years old I am use to having a fresher car and couldn’t go back to an older car well as a Primary daily driver wouldn’t mind for a second car. The reasoning behind the 2.0L is I don’t want a yoke that’s a pig to run I still do around 30k km per year plus the 2.0L is still reasonable enough to insure would sicken me to give 2-3K for insurance on a big engine Slas I am still under 25. Haven’t checked on the S3 I expect that might be a bit costly to insure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It’s a lovely looking car outside but I’d still prefer the A5 interior. The 330i is only 248bhp I thought it would have been closer to 300bhp.

Ah tbh I wouldn’t be going any older than 2 years old I am use to having a fresher car and couldn’t go back to an older car well as a Primary daily driver wouldn’t mind for a second car. The reasoning behind the 2.0L is I don’t want a yoke that’s a pig to run I still do around 30k km per year plus the 2.0L is still reasonable enough to insure would sicken me to give 2-3K for insurance on a big engine Slas I am still under 25. Haven’t checked on the S3 I expect that might be a bit costly to insure.

New G20 interior is very good but not quite up to the standard of the A4/A5 imo.

Not very many 252 quattros around in UK when I was looking. Seemed to be more S4s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Looks expensive to me

330e is just as quick with 250bhp and instant torque from the electric motor

Much cheaper to run too, short trips under 30km on electric and about 10k cheaper brand new

Anyone buying brand new are just throwing money away, they lose 20k depreciation in the 1st year alone.

You can get 181/182's in the UK for 30k all in

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902144943076?make=BMW&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1501&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&model=3%20SERIES&year-from=2018&sort=sponsored&postcode=m52ty&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Would love on myself

That's the old model though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's the old model though.

New model 330e will also be available as a Touring. Can see that being very popular, would be tempted myself for 201.

Think it'll be summer before they arrive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

No cheaper to run though if you do longer spins. Same mpg as 330i. They are not suitable for everyone, plus they are heavier (over 200kg than 330i) and don't handle as well as the petrol version.

330e is not just as fast either btw. 0-60 in 6.1 sec, new 330i does it in 5 3sec. 330i far better unless you do short commutes under 30km everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Wailin wrote: »
    No cheaper to run though if you do longer spins. Same mpg as 330i. They are not suitable for everyone, plus they are heavier (over 200kg than 330i) and don't handle as well as the petrol version.

330e is not just as fast either btw. 0-60 in 6.1 sec, new 330i does it in 5 3sec. 330i far better unless you do short commutes under 30km everyday.

5.3 is the awd drive though, rwd is closer to 6.0 sec

Very little difference in performance between the 330e and 330i imo

The e has no turbo lag thanks to the electric motor, probably feels just as quick below 100mph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Should be but as it says in the ad not to be used to operate a cig:

Cheers!

Interslice wrote: »
    If you dont need to be able to take it in and out you would be better off snipping the plug off and crimping it in. What are you looking to run? The wire on that yolk looks very thin and the cig socket very cheap.

Cool, it’s actually footwell neons! :pac:

You could buy the all the same parts locally and do a better job i would say. Just get blue sleeve crimps. Thinking of doing something similar on my own. Will be going for old school festoons though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That’s only the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

5.3 is the awd drive though, rwd is closer to 6.0 sec

Very little difference in performance between the 330e and 330i imo

The e has no turbo lag thanks to the electric motor, probably feels just as quick below 100mph

The petrol engine is the same as the one found in the 320i, so it will have the same amount of turbo lag as that. Perhaps the fact that the electric motor is (theoretically) instant masks this fact. All turbocharged BMWs use exhaust gas turbochargers, so there has to be some amount of lag.

The petrol engine is the same as the one found in the 320i, so it will have the same amount of turbo lag as that. Perhaps the fact that the electric motor is (theoretically) instant masks this fact. All turbocharged BMWs use exhaust gas turbochargers, so there has to be some amount of lag.

Try driving a 330e if you haven't already done so. They are brilliant.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ah jaysus

That’s not even the worst of it!

That’s not even the worst of it!

You can take a 12 from the glovebox light as it comes on with the lights rather than being ran off a door switch on the glovebox.

Please don’t though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ah jaysus

We were that age too one time!!! I actually stuck one on top of my dashboard....:D

Oh stop, sure my Fiat was lit up like Spearmint Rhino 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

It's nice when you have a good experience with checkpoints, just stopped at one in Clonakilty on the way back from a Christening, the Guard was interested in knowing what work I'd put into it and even asking who did the respray, contrary to popular belief, Guards are still human :) I was sure I was gonna get called out on the plate in the window :pac:

It's nice when you have a good experience with checkpoints, just stopped at one in Clonakilty on the way back from a Christening, the Guard was interested in knowing what work I'd put into it and even asking who did the respray, contrary to popular belief, Guards are still human :) I was sure I was gonna get called out on the plate in the window :pac:

Tax disc to the tune of 1500 euro helps :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tax disc to the tune of 1500 euro helps :pac:

€1809 or €2k+ if you're paying by the 1/4. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Big Nasty wrote: »
    €1809 or €2k+ if you're paying by the 1/4. :eek:

By the 1/4 :(

Its funny how use to petrol I have become. Now whenever I get into the Leon or diesel A4 and press then button or turn the key nothing happens and every time I am like wdf then look down to see 'engine is starting' its the heater plugs working even though it only is a few seconds feels like an eternity at the time as with my A4 I am use to pressing the button and it instantly starting even before the virtual cockpit has fully loaded up. It is the little things :) I know if I went back to driving a diesel I would be used to it after a month and not notice it then.

Glow plugs in the BM start when the car door is opened. Clever enough little feature I thought, as I have never had to wait for them. Always have to wait on the Seat in the house though.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Glow plugs in the BM start when the car door is opened. Clever enough little feature I thought, as I have never had to wait for them. Always have to wait on the Seat in the house though.

That’s a good idea alright. Simple yet effective.

Where's best place to buy a service kit. I normally just go to local motor factor. Is there a go to place online for oil/filters or should I just go local.

Cheers

Oh stop, sure my Fiat was lit up like Spearmint Rhino 20 years ago.

I assumed that was some sort of racing arcade game until I googled it! :pac::pac:

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Where's best place to buy a service kit. I normally just go to local motor factor. Is there a go to place online for oil/filters or should I just go local.

Cheers

Micks garage offer a range of filters and oils...your local factors likely won't have as big a range.

For a nice engine like yours I'd prefer not to be asking at the counter what brand filters they have etc :)

• Advertisement

+1 for Micks Garage. The voucher codes are great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The amount of times I've had the wrong air filter delivered by micksgarage - handier being able to walk in to return it so I use my local factors now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I dropped my car for service, and I sow they finally got Citroen C5 Aircross demo car. Damn right I took it for a spin. Did so much research on it.
    It was 1.2 130hp manual. I hated it. In a way I am happy I tested it, i know now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So I dropped my car for service, and I sow they finally got Citroen C5 Aircross demo car. Damn right I took it for a spin. Did so much research on it.
    It was 1.2 130hp manual. I hated it. In a way I am happy I tested it, i know now.

got a c3 aircross as a rental nothing wrong with it but why cant i use the physical knob on the dash rather that trying to hit the +/- on the touchscreen ridiculous implemetation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Was just thinking I should book my NCT for this year, early as things are going relatively well. Then the engine warning light pops on after a spirited acceleration onto the M11. Car was running perfectly fine, nothing amiss. Need to read codes, some sensor somewhere no doubt. Fingers crossed it's easy.

Was just thinking I should book my NCT for this year, early as things are going relatively well. Then the engine warning light pops on after a spirited acceleration onto the M11. Car was running perfectly fine, nothing amiss. Need to read codes, some sensor somewhere no doubt. Fingers crossed it's easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Scanner-Adapter-Wireless-Diagnostic/dp/B07CP632CL/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1553004354&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=elm%2B327%2Bbluetooth&dpPl=1&dpID=41fGu1fFWBL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Ever tried one of these bluetooth yolks? Work alright for a basic scan for coilpack and sensors faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

got a c3 aircross as a rental nothing wrong with it but why cant i use the physical knob on the dash rather that trying to hit the +/- on the touchscreen ridiculous implemetation.

Don't understand me wrong. It looks fantastic. Seats comfortable. Looks very modern. For normal family wagon, it's great car. Driving it, kind of put to the rest my thoughts on "finally growing up" and driving normal cars. I got my car back, put it in to sport mode and went a bit HAM. Gave me massive grin and reminded me why I suffer stiff suspensions, higher bills etc.
    I have to admit, I had huge expectations for c5 aircross and did some research. All that talk about comfort and sound isolation etc. Well It's not as great as reviews and marketing spinning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah yeah, I have one in the garage, just haven't read the codes yet. I'll get to it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I had my usual 20 mins on the road this morning. Fog with reduced visibility, I saw good few cars with drl's on only, so no rear lights at all. Are they aware of this? It's frightening to think about people getting into their cars without doing the basic thinking. :-(

padyjoe wrote: »
    I had my usual 20 mins on the road this morning. Fog with reduced visibility, I saw good few cars with drl's on only, so no rear lights at all. Are they aware of this? It's frightening to think about people getting into their cars without doing the basic thinking. :-(

Some/most/all auto light set-ups are poor enough at recognising fog in daylight....... as there's sufficient light detected by the sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

padyjoe wrote: »
    I've seen too many of these, people don't seem to realise DRL's are only front lights.
    It's not that hard to know how your car functions

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement