Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ugh...tore my ACL skiing.

Paris marathon in 5 weeks looking a smidgen unlikely...

Hopefully it not being too painful is a good sign. I tore it before and it wasn’t hugely painful and I was back playing the following season a few months after.

I know a girl who did the same thing and I had to carry her off the pitch, as I was sitting with her she was getting regular bursts of agonizing pain and she still isn’t back, that was about 18 months ago. She’d probably have a higher pain threshold than me as well.

With very little medical understanding of it myself I’d hope that’s a good sign?

Anyway, sorry to hear it, hope it’s not too disruptive outside of sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

molloyjh wrote: »
    So what do you want?

I can tell you what I don’t want.

Yes, but what do you want?

Well not those things over there.

So what do you want then?

Not what we agreed to.

I wanna really, really, really wanna zigazig ah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

One of the Brexiteers just described May's deal as a Hotel California Brexit.

Which is really clever. I have to hand it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

troyzer wrote: »

It is, but seeing as the Brexiteers have so little imagination they haven't been able to propose a single workable plan 3 years after the referendum, I doubt he came up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's the same old false narrative though. The same bunch keep saying there's an alternative to the backstop, but paradoxically don't want the backstop because they might be trapped in it [because there aren't any alternatives].

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hopefully it not being too painful is a good sign. I tore it before and it wasn’t hugely painful and I was back playing the following season a few months after.

I know a girl who did the same thing and I had to carry her off the pitch, as I was sitting with her she was getting regular bursts of agonizing pain and she still isn’t back, that was about 18 months ago. She’d probably have a higher pain threshold than me as well.

With very little medical understanding of it myself I’d hope that’s a good sign?

Anyway, sorry to hear it, hope it’s not too disruptive outside of sports

Yeah, the lack of pain is hopefully a sign that nothing else in the knee is really damaged. I presume if you were back that quickly you didn't get it reconstructed?

Yeah, the lack of pain is hopefully a sign that nothing else in the knee is really damaged. I presume if you were back that quickly you didn't get it reconstructed?

No I didn’t need the reconstruction.

You could always do the marathon in a wheelchair and get someone to push you though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Brexiteers aren't that smart. It's robbed from Varoufakis - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eu-like-hotel-california-you-can-never-leave-yanis-varoufakis-1.2688702

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I needed the re-construction surgery (complete ACL tear) and it was a few weeks on crutches, gradually stretching the leg out straight and then months of recovery in the gym/physio. Pain in the hoop. Surprisingly not that painful though (except at the exact time I did it, that hurt like a mother****er).

• Advertisement

I needed the re-construction surgery (complete ACL tear) and it was a few weeks on crutches, gradually stretching the leg out straight and then months of recovery in the gym/physio. Pain in the hoop. Surprisingly not that painful though (except at the exact time I did it, that hurt like a mother****er).

Mine is a complete tear also, but apparently the thinking these days is that physio is enough (with the proviso that the only sports I engage in these days are running, cycling and skiing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

No I didn’t need the reconstruction.

You could always do the marathon in a wheelchair and get someone to push you though?

My wife is training with an orthopedic surgeon these days, the decision making mid surgery is fascinating.

"luckily there is enough give in this muscle to stretch"
    "what would you do if it didn't reach"
    "well, I would scrape a little under here and scrape on top over there and hope that I can make it"

Never mind drilling new holes and passing pig ligaments through to add support to a joint.

Personally I would avoid surgeries if there is any other option, not that they are not amazingly talented people (To even imagine some of the procedures). The body has miraculous self healing abilities depending on the injury.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just finished my first watch through of The Wire.

Some show. Really slow to start, but it's unlike anything I have ever watched before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Brilliant show. Up there with The Sopranos in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Season 2 is way too heavily criticised. I loved the Sobotka stuff. I loved that way more than the wanky newspaper plot at the end.

Season 2 is way too heavily criticised. I loved the Sobotka stuff. I loved that way more than the wanky newspaper plot at the end.
    One of the few shows I've seen where all seasons are good. Like, a few of them are slightly weaker than the others, but they are all exceptional, and none of them feel like you're just watching them so you can get to the good stuff later.

5 definitely my least favourite. 4 was the best.

• Advertisement

I've rather ashamedly never managed to get to the end of season 5. Just doesn't work for me at all. I definitely enjoyed season 2 though, think it gets way too much ****.

I've rather ashamedly never managed to get to the end of season 5. Just doesn't work for me at all. I definitely enjoyed season 2 though, think it gets way too much ****.
    5 gets better at the end. The finale is very good.

Ziggy was a brilliant character. What an absolute disaster of a person. I loved season two, thought it nicely expanded the world of the Wire and it gave it that anthology feel that made each season individually interesting.

You get what you pay for. HBO invests in it's shows, gets excellent talent across the board and finances them well. No surprise the result is more often top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’d actually have the Wire ahead of the Soprano’s in my all time favorite list. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to get the traction at the time, so didn’t get more seasons. Think the writers could have got more out of the characters.

This attack in Christchurch is absolutely nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Didn't want to detract from the sentiment in the New Zealand thread, but it has to be said - this is why Gemma O'Doherty and chums need to be challenged out the ****ing door.

I'm in Birmingham now on the way home from Cardiff. Just catching an early dinner before the airport and I've been caught up in the parade.

The plastic is strong in some of these paddies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mine is a complete tear also, but apparently the thinking these days is that physio is enough (with the proviso that the only sports I engage in these days are running, cycling and skiing).

I did mine last April. Tried physio only but it wasn't going to be enough and I got surgery in July. Got the all clear in January but had a flare up a week later. Feels close to 100% now. Going to go back training in three weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

G’wan Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

BBDBB wrote: »
    G’wan Rory

Great drama last night

Getting over the line before the Masters and other Majors this year is important. Not sure how important, but I suppose come the final stretch on a Sunday if he is contention it will help.

He is more consistent this year so you'd have to fancy that he will be in contention come the Majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I was fully convinced he'd wobble on those final two holes. Not easy holes at all and multiple players in the leading groups dropped shots on them. McIlroy looked confident and his putting was far more consistent than it has been for a long time. When he dropped a shot on 14 and came back immediately on 15, it was a huge mental boost for him, I would imagine.

Some of the other top players completely fell apart in the final round though. I was surprised with how badly Rahm went on the day. If he even held even he'd have been right in the mix on the final hole.

Sawgrass is a perfect warm up for Augusta but I'd almost rather he came into the tournament in good form but with less expectation. He has shot straight back to the top of the bookies odds for the Masters now.

Also fair play to Seamus Power for managing to struggle through and finish 35th. He's going to need every place he can get if he is to retain his card again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    I was fully convinced he'd wobble on those final two holes. Not easy holes at all and multiple players in the leading groups dropped shots on them. McIlroy looked confident and his putting was far more consistent than it has been for a long time. When he dropped a shot on 14 and came back immediately on 15, it was a huge mental boost for him, I would imagine.

Some of the other top players completely fell apart in the final round though. I was surprised with how badly Rahm went on the day. If he even held even he'd have been right in the mix on the final hole.

Sawgrass is a perfect warm up for Augusta but I'd almost rather he came into the tournament in good form but with less expectation. He has shot straight back to the top of the bookies odds for the Masters now.

Also fair play to Seamus Power for managing to struggle through and finish 35th. He's going to need every place he can get if he is to retain his card again.

I expected him to put it in the drink on 17 but he played it sensibly. Fleetwood on the other seemed to go for the pin and ended it blowing it all....scoreboard pressure...

bilston wrote: »
    I expected him to put it in the drink on 17 but he played it sensibly. Fleetwood on the other seemed to go for the pin and ended it blowing it all....scoreboard pressure...

Fleetwood was 2 shots behind with two to play, he had no choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I passed the Fire Brigade taking someone out of the Liffey, near DCC. Hopefully all ok.

I passed the Fire Brigade taking someone out of the Liffey, near DCC. Hopefully all ok.

Near daily occurrence in Galway. My office is beside the river and it's a rare week we don't have the Coast Guard helicopter overhead on a search mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Zzippy wrote: »
    Near daily occurrence in Galway. My office is beside the river and it's a rare week we don't have the Coast Guard helicopter overhead on a search mission.
    I lived in Newcastle/Dangan for a few years and yeah its horrible. Way too rregular an occurance

Zzippy wrote: »

Are these people accidentally falling in our attempting suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Was walking over O'Connell Bridge on the way back to work the other day. Some guy, approximately 50s, stood on top the ledge holding on to a lamp post. At first I thought he was doing some sort of charity drive because he looked like he had wet gear on. Nope, tourist taking a selfie.

stephen_n wrote: »

I suspect mostly the latter. I gave a guy a lift home to dry out after he waded in to help someone having second thoughts a couple of years ago. Cry for help more than anything else, just lucky where he landed in shallow water or he may not have had the chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The latter is 95%+ unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I've given up trying to understand the workings of that Parliament

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I've given up trying to understand the workings of that Parliament

TL:DR from today:

"Stop wasting Parliament's time bringing back the same pissing deal for a vote, change it substantially or f*** off"

Neil3030 wrote: »
    TL:DR from today:

"Stop wasting Parliament's time bringing back the same pissing deal for a vote, change it substantially or f*** off"

This has always been the way. There were a few grumbles that it was out of order even the second time but nobody challenged it because of how high the stakes were. But now it looks like the EU are going to offer an extension, it makes no sense to continue this charade. She's likely to lose votes now that the pressure has been temporarily relieved, not gain them. She has absolutely no leverage over the EU, they're not going to budge.

I have no idea what's going to happen next. The most obvious thing is a second referendum which is legally binding but there are so many MPs against it. Which makes you think they'd need an election first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I think a second referendum is getting likelier by the day. The withdrawal agreement or revoke article 50. If they really want to leave then it paves a route for it that everyone can live with. If they don't then revoke article 50. Do it quick so we can all move past this utter nonsense

There's talk now that Parliament could vote to change the law that prevents them voting again on a deal they have already voted against twice.

Apologies if you need a few reads of that to figure it out; couldn't make this stuff up.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    There's talk now that Parliament could vote to change the law that prevents them voting again on a deal they have already voted against twice.

Apologies if you need a few reads of that to figure it out; couldn't make this stuff up.

So parliament wants to vote to vote again against the deal.

You have to wonder how they ever managed to rule an empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Did anyone watch Alan Partridge last night? Funniest 30 minutes of tele I've seen in ages. I won't spoil it but the last 2 minutes are going to go down as comedy gold for the ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

mfceiling wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Alan Partridge last night? Funniest 30 minutes of tele I've seen in ages. I won't spoil it but the last 2 minutes are going to go down as comedy gold for the ages.

I was just going to post whether Irish viewers would find it funny/not funny/offensive?

I was chortling away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I was just going to post whether Irish viewers would find it funny/not funny/offensive?

I was chortling away.

Even the wife was in stitches laughing so it must have been good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mfceiling wrote: »
    top class tv. Ending is fantastic.
    Scene playing CPR on sex doll to another one bites the dust was very funny
    He got accent spot on...

This time 4 weeks ago I started to feel unwell in the shower after training. Kind of knew straight away it was a heart attack, but at the same time wasn’t sure. Not wanting to make an idiot of myself I of course didn’t ask for help and opted to drive myself to the hospital, just in case it was a really bad case of indigestion or some bug. Luckily the hospital is only 5 minutes from the gym. Whatever you can say about the Irish Health System, they are pretty damn good when you have a serious issue. Within 2 hours I’d been transferred to Vincent’s and had 2 stents put in. It’s very surreal watching your heart up on a screen as they fiddle about inside you. Again luckily for me, they got this done within 2 1/2 hours of it starting, so not much damage done to the heart muscle. Going from someone who works 50+ hours most weeks and trains 5-6 days a week, to barely being able to walk for more than 5 minutes at a time forces you to slow down a bit :D
    Has its benefits though, currently sitting having breakfast in Lanzarote, feeding sparrows and watching them bully a pigeon. Nice place to recouperate and take stock. I would have regarded myself as extremely fit before this and am only 46. So maybe if you see one of those free Heart Health checkups the Irish Heart Foundation do. Do yourself and your family a favor and get yourself checked.

This time 4 weeks ago I started to feel unwell in the shower after training. Kind of knew straight away it was a heart attack, but at the same time wasn’t sure. Not wanting to make an idiot of myself I of course didn’t ask for help and opted to drive myself to the hospital, just in case it was a really bad case of indigestion or some bug. Luckily the hospital is only 5 minutes from the gym. Whatever you can say about the Irish Health System, they are pretty damn good when you have a serious issue. Within 2 hours I’d been transferred to Vincent’s and had 2 stents put in. It’s very surreal watching your heart up on a screen as they fiddle about inside you. Again luckily for me, they got this done within 2 1/2 hours of it starting, so not much damage done to the heart muscle. Going from someone who works 50+ hours most weeks and trains 5-6 days a week, to barely being able to walk for more than 5 minutes at a time forces you to slow down a bit :D
    Has its benefits though, currently sitting having breakfast in Lanzarote, feeding sparrows and watching them bully a pigeon. Nice place to recouperate and take stock. I would have regarded myself as extremely fit before this and am only 46. So maybe if you see one of those free Heart Health checkups the Irish Heart Foundation do. Do yourself and your family a favor and get yourself checked.
    Glad to hear you're alright!

Must have been scary, did you feel a pain in your chest and light headedness or what?

awec wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're alright!

Must have been scary, did you feel a pain in your chest and light headedness or what?

Pain in the chest, shortness of breath, nausea and slightly dizzy. Just not laying on the floor clutching my chest type of feeling. Pain felt like bad indigestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glad you're ok, Stephen. I can only imagine that was a rather scary experience. I would imagine that a lot of us would be similarly stubborn and dismissive to the point where we would drive ourselves to the hospital (if at all).

I've generally had excellent experiences with the health system in the past even with non-critical issues. I previously went to my GP with a lump (turned out to be benign) but within 48 hours I had been seen by a consultant in his clinic, booked in for surgery and was sitting in hospital recovering. I had to spend the bulk of a day on a trolley but so be it.

Any time I have had to bring a child to Temple Street or D-Doc, I have had exceptionally smooth and quick service. When I call D-Doc, I have a phone call back from a nurse within 5 minutes. I have an appoointment with an on call GP within another hour and my child is home having been seen with a prescription within 2 hours of making the initial phone call.

I know there's a huge amount of bitching and moaning about the health service but, in the grand scheme, it's light years ahead of most other nations.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement