Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes please
    It wouldn't make any difference to Kildare. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Didn't even know there was a game on.
    I only know about the home games as i work in the aviva on matchdays and even then its usually only when i get an email telling me dates of upcoming soccer games do i know the national side are playing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Serena Williams just had a meltdown. Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Harsh on Osaka. Greatest moment of her life utterly ruined. Williams was completely out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Israel Folau is nothing short of a zealot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    Israel Folau is nothing short of a zealot.

I mean yeah the man was a Mormon and then converted to the "Assemblies of God Fellowship".

They're not exactly run of the mill religious groups they tend to be fairly pushy and active with recruitment/"saving others from a life of sin".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    Harsh on Osaka. Greatest moment of her life utterly ruined. Williams was completely out of order.

She was completely out order and now there are people lauding her for taking a stand against sexism. She actually got a round of applause at her press conference. That actually makes me mad. She lost the plot because she was losing the match and then behaved disgracefully towards the umpire.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Her playing the victim card is hilarious. She's one of the most known/influential athletes on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I mean she's right though. Male tennis players say much worse things to umpires and don't seem to get penalised. Andy Murray called him (Ramos) stupid and Djokovic actively accused him of double standards. Nadal also had a go at him in a press conference during the French open.

“I didn’t say ‘stupid umpire’, I said ‘stupid umpiring’. But if you want to be the star of the show, that’s fine,” said Murray as the two spoke during a break between games.

So Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Venus Williams had all criticised him before. All of them think he's pedantic. Nadal accused him of bias etc. But none of them had to deal with his **** in a game they were losing and none of them had to deal with his **** in a grandslam final.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

She was out of order, very clearly. Atrocious way to treat an official. Tennis has a huge problem there.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I mean she's right though. Male tennis players say much worse things to umpires and don't seem to get penalised. Andy Murray called him (Ramos) stupid and Djokovic actively accused him of double standards. Nadal also had a go at him in a press conference during the French open.

“I didn’t say ‘stupid umpire’, I said ‘stupid umpiring’. But if you want to be the star of the show, that’s fine,” said Murray as the two spoke during a break between games.

So Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Venus Williams had all criticised him before. All of them think he's pedantic. Nadal accused him of bias etc. But none of them had to deal with his **** in a game they were losing and none of them had to deal with his **** in a grandslam final.

Yes but they would've been a one of slip of mouth.

She stood their berating him for several minutes and calling him a thief repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A bit torn on this. But no doubt a montage will soon be released with incidents men weren't penalised for, to offer context. That would be helpful.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    A bit torn on this. But no doubt a montage will soon be released with incidents men weren't penalised for, to offer context. That would be helpful.

Different sport but when Dylan Hartley called the Wayne Barnes a cheat he got sent off and banned for it.

Accusing an official of incompetence is a totally different thing to accusing an official of cheating.

Did she call him a cheat, or a thief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The umpire has a history of giving out code violations (including to men) so I've no idea what Williams is on about. She acted like a spoiled child and deserved all the violations

http://larrybrownsports.com/tennis/umpire-carlos-ramos-history-code-violations-serena-williams/463180

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The word she used was thief.

But that pretty clearly implies she thinks he's dishonest rather than just a bad umpire.

And did you all know Serena had a baby? I missed it the first several million times it's been mentioned.

She called him a thief.

Basically the umpire spotted an exchange between her and her coach, and gave a point against her for in game coaching.

So she absolutely exploded and said he was stealing points from her, and kept demanding an apology from him, saying how she would never cheat etc etc.

The coach came out after the match and said yeah he was coaching her from the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

She called him a thief.

Basically the umpire spotted an exchange between her and her coach, and gave a point against her for in game coaching.

So she absolutely exploded and said he was stealing points from her, and kept demanding an apology from him, saying how she would never cheat etc etc.

The coach came out after the match and said yeah he was coaching her from the stands.

That's not quite correct...he said he was..but he said she never saw him, and she also said she never saw him doing so....so basically, the coach should have been penalised..not the player...
    I think its quite telling that the umpire was not brought out for the trophy presentation, reported first time in flushing meadow history?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So...is there any chance yiz won't give Michael D a 2nd term?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

She called him a thief.

I thought she just got a warning for coaching.

Shortly after she smashed her racquet and got a point deduction (this is a code violation for the record) and that's when she lost her mind.

• Advertisement

That's not quite correct...he said he was..but he said she never saw him, and she also said she never saw him doing so....so basically, the coach should have been penalised..not the player...
    I think its quite telling that the umpire was not brought out for the trophy presentation, reported first time in flushing meadow history?

How do you penalize a coach?

A game deduction, so he finishes on 0-0 0-(-1)?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So...is there any chance yiz won't give Michael D a 2nd term?

He has a massive margin over the next candidate so unless something significant and damaging comes out or he has health issues disclosed it's almost a guarantee he'll be elected.

I think most of the chasing pack are just getting their names out there for the next presidential run.

Some awful, awful candidates - almost a side show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

How do you penalize a coach?

A game deduction, so he finishes on 0-0 0-(-1)?

He gets ejected,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Serena fined 17k dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Stheno wrote: »
    Serena fined 17k dollars

More thievery.

Stheno wrote: »
    Serena fined 17k dollars

This could really long term damage her brand if she doesn't reign it in, I don't see much sympathy online and this fine suggests the authorities aren't hearing much either.

If she doubles down now she'll become a parody of herself in the same vein as the Streisand Effect. Making a not too bad situation far worse by your reaction.

I saw her press conference and her argument was actually quite clear. It gave me the impression that double standard is something that has been playing on her mind for a while now, and not the alternative idea, i.e., that she had a meltdown because she was losing and cried sexism in the aftermath to save face. Also, I'm sure she's lost in plenty of big games and I can't recall her ever trying this as an excuse.

I saw her press conference and her argument was actually quite clear. It gave me the impression that double standard is something that has been playing on her mind for a while now, and not the alternative idea, i.e., that she had a meltdown because she was losing and cried sexism in the aftermath to save face. Also, I'm sure she's lost in plenty of big games and I can't recall her ever trying this as an excuse.

How long it’s been playing on her mind is entirely irrelevant. You don’t deal with it by accusing the umpire of being a thief during play. Or shouting “You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live” - as if she should have any control over that whatsoever.

He has a single standard though it seems, which is being extremely picky about nonsense technicalities pretty consistently. And this isn’t close to being the first time coaching has been called as a violation.

He’s done multiple people for damaging their rackets anyway, her claims don’t hold up under any scrutiny.

The sport has a huge problem with attitude and egos in general. It really puts me off it. Not even only the obvious examples like Kyrgios. Maybe they love the drama it causes but it hugely damages the credibility of the thing. Any time I attend a smaller event I’m reminded that it’s not even the stars who act like this and it depresses me, saw It this year at Wimbledon qualifying from guys outside the top 100.

How long it’s been playing on her mind is entirely irrelevant. You don’t deal with it by accusing the umpire of being a thief during play. Or shouting “You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live” - as if she should have any control over that whatsoever.

He has a single standard though it seems, which is being extremely picky about nonsense technicalities pretty consistently. And this isn’t close to being the first time coaching has been called as a violation.

He’s done multiple people for damaging their rackets anyway, her claims don’t hold up under any scrutiny.

The sport has a huge problem with attitude and egos in general. It really puts me off it. Not even only the obvious examples like Kyrgios. Maybe they love the drama it causes but it hugely damages the credibility of the thing. Any time I attend a smaller event I’m reminded that it’s not even the stars who act like this and it depresses me, saw It this year at Wimbledon qualifying from guys outside the top 100.

It's absolutely relevant because right now she stands accused of being a sore loser who had a meltdown and then tried to cry sexism.

Do you instead deal with it by questioning the umpire's mental health, accusing the umpire of double standards, swearing at him, or calling him stupid?

Because in each of the above (where Ramos was umpire) there was no point or game penalty imposed.

• Advertisement

It's absolutely relevant because right now she stands accused of being a sore loser who had a meltdown and then tried to cry sexism.

Do you instead deal with it by questioning the umpire's mental health, accusing the umpire of double standards, swearing at him, or calling him stupid?

Because in each of the above (where Ramos was umpire) there was no point or game penalty imposed.

She did cry sexism. And she claimed that because she just had a daughter she wouldn’t cheat. All while on the court. And at the time she never claimed it was something she’d been thinking about. In fact she went on after the game to say she’d never had a problem with that umpire before and thought he was a good umpire.

Did the other players have a game penalty? Well... did they make three infractions? Because it’s not something the umpire just randomly decides out of thin air. You can’t expect anyone to accuse an official of foul play and not be penalized, that’s ridiculous.

She received coaching, “abused” her racket and then abused the umpire. If you allow for coaching being a correct call (which is absolutely debatable) then the Umpire was entirely correct with the infringements. McEnroe has been ejected from games for the same reason. Even if the coaching call was bizarre and unnecessary (I think it was), that’s sports and there’s not a single athlete who hasn’t been on the end of a bad call regardless of their race or gender. This is not like 2004, she’s absolutely in the wrong this time. The umpire is not entirely without blame either but only for enforcing a stupid rule that exists and that’s Djokovic was also recently penalized for.

Supposedly she thought at the time that he had originally rescinded the decision and that’s why she flipped when she got penalized for racket abuse, she thought it would have been her “first” infraction. That’s unfortunate but it doesn’t excuse acting like an entitled asshole. I’d hope she’ll apologise to the umpire, you can’t threaten someone’s job like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement