Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to cycle past a horse

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    That's akin to drunk driving, asleep at the wheel, or whatever, should be an instant license pull and off the road for 5 years minimum.
    this. i've had my licence 20 years and have never had a lapse of attention even beginning to approach the level of the one in that incident.
    what more proof do they need that the driver is not fit to drive?
    a driver awareness course is laughable; was the driver not already aware that you're not meant to drive on the wrong side of the road, and look where you're going?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

a driver awareness course is laughable; was the driver not already aware that you're not meant to drive on the wrong side of the road, and look where you're going?
    Looks like the main issue was inappropriate speed for the visibility and conditions.

This is dealt with on those awareness courses.

I know a couple of people who've been on them, they learned stuff. It's very common in the UK, since the place is blanketed with speed cameras, unlike Ireland.

Surprised that people in favour of driver education don't like driver education. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Lumen wrote:
    Surprised that people in favour of driver education don't like driver education.

I'd prefer the driver education course to happen before people go on the road, and prosecution for people who almost kill someone through irresponsibility. Much like the video of the cyclists, it's only sheer dumb luck that nobody was killed, including the driver. If that lead horse had jumped up to try to avoid getting hit, it likely would have resulted in about half a ton of panicked horse crashing through the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd prefer the driver education course to happen before people go on the road, and prosecution for people who almost kill someone through irresponsibility. Much like the video of the cyclists, it's only sheer dumb luck that nobody was killed, including the driver. If that lead horse had jumped up to try to avoid getting hit, it likely would have resulted in about half a ton of panicked horse crashing through the windscreen.
    You "almost kill someone" every time you drive a car.

That looks like the fella at the front of that group didn’t warn anyone and nobody else seen it coming.
    I’m not defending it though big groups should only be allowed for racing a racing training. It such an annoyance out cycling alone and a big herd mobs you.

It looked like a straight piece of road. No excuse for them not seeing the horse.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote:

There's a bit of a different in the nearness to death between driving past someone on the other side of the road (as this car should have done), and colliding with someone and sending them flying through the air (as this car did do).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »

I've never seen Ave drive but that sounds a bit overly critical :pac:

CramCycle wrote:
    I've never seen Ave drive but that sounds a bit overly critical

Ha! Many times I don't even encounter someone!

Ha! Many times I don't even encounter someone!

Bloody motorist, your probably not even looking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sailing

Only just catching up on this thread now. As an avid cyclist and casual horse rider I think the two passing on the left are very lucky people. A horse has far better peripheral vision than us humans and can detect a threat far earlier than us. They will react to any threat by kicking out. They are herd animals. I’ve broken my arm very badly in a spill off my bike at relatively low speed a few years ago. Still have the effects of it today. A kick to the head by a 700kg horse coming at speed like these cyclists on the left would more than likely kill you instantly.

I didn’t appreciate the strength of horses until I started riding myself. I live in a rural area and horses on roads is pretty common. You tend to get used to respecting their space when overtaking, just like as cyclists we appreciate when motorists respect overtaking us.

That horse was actually well mannered. It could have been an awful lot worse for all concerned.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote:
    Bloody motorist, your probably not even looking

Pfft of course I look! Last night, the 7 people, 3 bikes, the dog, the wheelie bin, and the rose bush trailing behind my car were merely a coincidence...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://twitter.com/BritishHorse/status/1107733573984047111

nowt to do with cycling, but by god that second pass.

My god, that second one was unreal. On a bike you would tell the rider to take more of the the lane there. Should they have done the same on the horse in that second one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

My god, that second one was unreal. On a bike you would tell the rider to take more of the the lane there. Should they have done the same on the horse in that second one?

Judging by the stopped car I’d say there was a previous aborted attempt and the truck was passing one way or another.

as my wife said, the horse was probably too terrified to move. if it had panicked, could have been two fatalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Where's the bikes or is this just deflection from the original post?

'They do it too!"

That doesn't make anything fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

'They do it too!"

Strawman alert.

amcalester wrote: »
    Strawman alert.

Posting the video tonight in the first place was the strawman alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Odelay

It can be hard to take more of the lane, a nervous horse can stay close to the ditch. You can use your leg and rein to try to direct them out, but if they aren’t happy moving out it ain’t gong to happen.

Thats a fair point easy to tell the bike a move out you just do it. Not so much a scared or nervous horse I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

'They do it too!"

close pass videos are dear to many cyclist's hearts. just showing we have brethren.

close pass videos are dear to many cyclist's hearts. just showing we have brethren.

If it was a new thread then I'd agree wholeheartedly. Added to this thread? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, care must be taken around the equestrian set! Horses have some desperate primordial fear of large kites. So kitesurfers have to steer clear of horses on beaches to avoid spooking them, particularly horse riding schools with kids.

Is this post going to be moderated by Oldmrbrennan? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

https://twitter.com/BritishHorse/status/1107733573984047111

nowt to do with cycling, but by god that second pass.

One horse death a week is shocking.

Reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was out...two riders side by side and two or three cars behind them. Just as I was about to meet them the car behind them starts to pull out to move around them, no one behind me so I moved out to centre of my lane and blocked the car from overtaking at that spot. WTF are people thinking. All they had to do was wait 5 seconds for me and the horses to pass each other and then they could safely overtake. Where they tried it they could have been between me and the horses as we passed each other squeezing all of us. :confused:

The second video is quite an old one at this stage, but still gives me the jitters looking at it.

Her riding out into the road more may or may not have worked. Not that long ago, I had a particularly bad day with cars and moving to the middle of the road would have resulted in serious consequences. The lorry might have still tried to pass.

It should be noted that those stats are mostly England, Scotland and Wales, where there are bridle paths and most people only use the road to get to those bridle paths.

The second video is quite an old one at this stage, but still gives me the jitters looking at it.

Her riding out into the road more may or may not have worked. Not that long ago, I had a particularly bad day with cars and moving to the middle of the road would have resulted in serious consequences. The lorry might have still tried to pass.

It should be noted that those stats are mostly England, Scotland and Wales, where there are bridle paths and most people only use the road to get to those bridle paths.

Second video was scary but I wouldn't have pulled in myself, the lorry driver seemed to take that as an invitation to pass.

Advertisement