Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to cycle past a horse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Stupid f***ers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭G1032

Absolute morons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Totally reckless cycling and every one of those cyclists should be disqualified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

May they forever have punctures at the most crucial of times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

how did she hit those high notes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

That looks like the fella at the front of that group didn’t warn anyone and nobody else seen it coming.
    I’m not defending it though big groups should only be allowed for racing a racing training. It such an annoyance out cycling alone and a big herd mobs you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did he give the horse rider the finger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

dok_golf wrote: »
    how did she hit those high notes?

Because she most likely knew that falling from a horse that size onto tarmac may have ended up in life changing injuries.Thanks to the utterly brain dead behaviour of those guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That is absolutely horrific, every single one of those ignorant fcukers deserves a kick in the fcuking head for that.
    Absolutely and totally indefensible, and so, so, utterly dangerous. I hope the rider reported it to the guards. Every single one needs a conviction for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For the sake of argument/information what is the correct procedure? Slow down, single file as far to the right as possible, ring bell/call out as soon as they're in hearing distance?

• Advertisement

That looks like the fella at the front of that group didn’t warn anyone and nobody else seen it coming.
    I’m not defending it though big groups should only be allowed for racing a racing training. It such an annoyance out cycling alone and a big herd mobs you.

There's no excuse for missing a horse on the road and blasting past like that no matter how big a group you're in. Big groups of cyclists are not a problem, I've been in plenty that have come across horses and we slow right down and ask the rider if it's ok to pass.

I hope the horse and rider were ok and don't suffer any ill effects following this potentially lethal and unforgivably ignorant riding. Horses have very good memories.

TheChizler wrote: »
    For the sake of argument/information what is the correct procedure? Slow down, single file as far to the right as possible, ring bell/call out as soon as they're in hearing distance?

Slow down, call out to rider (don't shout!) and ask if it's ok to pass. I wouldn't use the bell. Proceed slowly and give them lots of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why would any cyclist choose to pass a horse on the inside? Beggars belief! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

TheChizler wrote: »

As far right as possible, I wouldn't use a bell, anything the horse isn't used to may startle them. I regularly come across horses in the woods, I accidentally locked up the rear wheel when approaching from behind and trying to stop to call out, I might as well let off a shotgun, was lucky the horse didn't throw the rider, I'm even more cautious now than I was before.

As for those cyclists, a good hoof to the jaw wouldn't have gone amiss, idiots.

rizzodun wrote: »
    As far right as possible, I wouldn't use a bell, anything the horse isn't used to may startle them. I regularly come across horses in the woods, I accidentally locked up the rear wheel when approaching from behind and trying to stop to call out, I might as well let off a shotgun, was lucky the horse didn't throw the rider, I'm even more cautious now than I was before.

As for those cyclists, a good hoof to the jaw wouldn't have gone amiss, idiots.

This x 100.
    I've been that solider, going sideways on a horse because of some inconsiderate fcuker in a car/moto/bike.
    People also have to consider that the horse they're coming up to could be a young horse, or a novice rider, so always best to approach like it's either the horse or riders first time on the road.

The sad thing about this is the amount of hate that is raining down on all cyclists because of these inconsiderate pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

nee wrote: »
    The sad thing about this is the amount of hate that is raining down on all cyclists because of these inconsiderate pricks.

Just wait until this incident hits the Journal.ie.... All out war on everyone who owns a bicycle will rain down...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm actually a little agog that not just one, but two cyclists chose to cycle on the inside of the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dickheads

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whatever about the thoughtlessness, the lack of self preservation instinct is amazing.

I pass horses on the extreme right whilst freewheeling so they can hear me coming. Calling out seems excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus that's unreal, complete w@nkers. I come across horses regularly enough near home when out in the bike. When they're coming towards me i slow down to pass them and the rider will usually then beckon me on when they are happy; when coming up behind a horse I usually let out a shout from well back to get the riders attention and again wait for them to see me before I pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    I pass horses on the extreme right whilst freewheeling so they can hear me coming. Calling out seems excessive.
    i always call out a hello, as much for the rider as the horse. horses have much better hearing than humans, and a freewheel is a bit more 'white noise' than a human voice, especially if it's windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Slow down, call out to rider (don't shout!) and ask if it's ok to pass. I wouldn't use the bell. Proceed slowly and give them lots of room.

I find a loud freehub helps...great for attracting horse riders attention while freewheeling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Horses, due to the placement of their eyes, can see a little bit behind them. Anyone passing a horse needs to call out well before approach and pass slow and wide.Have had 2 cycle related falls and crashing to the tarmac is not good. My horses are considered safe and road savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Bloody triathletes need to learn how to cycle! :pac: :P

In all seriousness though, those lads passing on the inside would have been well served by a belt off the horse, they'd not try the same again.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I find a loud freehub helps
    bit of a pain in the ass swapping your freehub out for a louder one every time you pass a horse though!

More on this here it was a triathlon. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-44512967

I assume it run was on open roads too which calls into question marshalling of the event.

There is one line in the piece to get angry about from a cyclist perspective though this isn't the thread for it I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

This x 100.
    I've been that solider, going sideways on a horse because of some inconsiderate fcuker in a car/moto/bike.
    People also have to consider that the horse they're coming up to could be a young horse, or a novice rider, so always best to approach like it's either the horse or riders first time on the road.

I asked a lad as I was passing a good while back and he said make your self known first but once the horse knows you're there don't be too quiet. Seemed to make sense as I was cycling within 2 foot of the horse while talking and it was nice and calm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

cython wrote: »
    Bloody triathletes need to learn how to cycle! :pac: :P

In all seriousness though, those lads passing on the inside would have been well served by a belt off the horse, they'd not try the same again.

Makes it even worse, the ****ers were all drafting

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

Yeah every1 are so quick to judge and call out guys but all riding in the group know that if one lad on the front screw things up it will make a pile behind eventually. It`s probably the one on the front fcuked up with giving information about hazards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wow, I thought some of the first few were dodgy and that was the issue until the absolute morons in that group came along.

What idiots, and you can bet they'd be all over Twitter regarding any close passes they received.

Advertisement