Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to cycle past a horse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

I have a confession.... I used to be a triathlete.. it was over 25 years ago though, well well well before it became a fashionable fad. For what it's worth I'm careful with horses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

gmacww wrote: »
    Somewhere on the internet, people are arguing weather someone should wear a hood or not!
    If the whether is bad, you'll definitely need your hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

fondriest wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

and what it t'were me on me tractor going to collect hay from yonder ?

except Irish ones have way more spikes for maximum stabbiness :

ywv7m10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The Triathlon organisers have issued a statement with further information in it. It appears the section of roadside have signs indicating that a triathlon event was taking place. Still doesn't justify the cyclists actions, but it does make you wonder why someone would bring a horse out on a road, knowing that a triathlon was due to take place (and do so while wearing a go pro camera)?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/human-race-issues-statement-incident-horse-rider-cyclists-royal-windsor-triathlon-383575

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

07Lapierre wrote: »

(and do so while wearing a go pro camera)?

Maybe she has a Youtube channel

She might have had previous experiences with cars etc

Plenty cyclists wear go-pros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

gctest50 wrote: »
    Maybe she has a Youtube channel

She might have had previous experiences with cars etc

Plenty cyclists wear go-pros

Yeah but I love a good conspiracy theory! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Australian cyclist hate page on Facebook is all over this video: https://www.facebook.com/SingleFilePlease/

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Poor horse and rider. Wonder if blinkers would've helped?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's not a question of whether it is "worth it". The question is whether it is reasonable to take a horse out on the public road knowing that he may react like this. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to communicate your needs to a person wearing a hood AND get a positive response, all in the couple of seconds before the horse gets spooked.

There are many practical barriers to success here, including the possibility that the hood wearer doesn't speak English.

If I have a dog that bites people wearing red hats, is it OK for me to bring him to the park for a walk and tell anyone in a red hat to take it off?

Well yes it's reasonable? She had plenty of time to remove the hood. I even asked her twice.

The girl was Irish and local.

I see you've deleted the rest of my post which explains that this was a very rare occurrence for this horse. If you have a dog that suddenly got scared one time at something that neither of you have ever encountered before, would you never take the dog back to the park?

nee wrote: »
    Expecting someone to take a hood down is unreasonable imo, kick on. That doesn't mean the animal shouldn't be out on the road, it means the rider has to do either more work at home bombproofing it, or be more assertive when coming across a hooded person.

I never thought I'd wish we were talking about triathletes again.

Again, it was a very rare occurrence (I think two spooks in a decade means the horse is as bombproof as you can get them) and there is no way we could have just kicked on. The road was way too narrow for that. I am far from a novice rider and can say with 100% certainty that the girl taking down her hood was the easiest and safest course of action.

eric hoone wrote: »
    Poor horse and rider. Wonder if blinkers would've helped?

Not likely. The cyclist hit off the horse so if anything, the blinkers would have made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

gctest50 wrote: »
    and what it t'were me on me tractor going to collect hay from yonder ?

except Irish ones have way more spikes for maximum stabbiness :

ywv7m10.jpg

Stabbiness :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Australian cyclist hate page on Facebook is all over this video: https://www.facebook.com/SingleFilePlease/

In relation to another thread one of the people that commented on "Ive got my left windscreen squirter pointing sideways and squirt" presumably cyclists

Some comments on that page, even when there is a picture of guys in single file they want them over the white line beside the concrete wall??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Borderfox wrote: »
    In relation to another thread one of the people that commented on "Ive got my left windscreen squirter pointing sideways and squirt" presumably cyclists
    Some comments on that page, even when there is a picture of guys in single file they want them over the white line beside the concrete wall??

Australian's seem to be that little bit more vitriolic towards cyclists then we are in Ireland/UK..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Borderfox wrote: »

Australian's seem to be that little bit more vitriolic towards cyclists then we are in Ireland/UK..

Australians can be very impatient and angry people. They are horrific towards cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And that online hating has been associated with one cyclist being killed;

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/cyclist-hater-ben-smith-jailed-for-more-than-five-years-over-death-of-steve-jarvie/news-story/fd2deac1513db13c849818eb7e5cf25f

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was reading an interesting article which I'll try and dig out later about the morals of journalists. Because of the way things are reported, they report statements made by people, fact check them later, but the person gets to repeat them multiple times and slowly so do people who are open to listening. In the long run, if something is said enough, the truth does not matter as it will struggle to overtake the momentum of the lie. This has become more prevalent in recent times, as social media allows a message to be repeated ad infinitum.

While the subject was Donald Trump, the same can be said of Anti Cyclist postings. People listen, retweet (even if oppposed), and by the time someone gets round to posting a clarification about the stupidity of the post it is too late and people will not listen.

You see it here as well, where we allow fair and balanced discussion (I hope) but you come across posters, who presented with facts, figures and irrefutable data refuse to accept simple concepts about road safety (being the prime example). I am happy to say, I have been shown to be wrong on more than one occasion, my simple mind cannot understand how some people cannot accept that there was (an understandable) mistake in their view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

can you blame them? their stuck with that gobsh..e ''duranian rider'' or whatever he calls himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was reading an interesting article which I'll try and dig out later about the morals of journalists. Because of the way things are reported, they report statements made by people, fact check them later, but the person gets to repeat them multiple times and slowly so do people who are open to listening. In the long run, if something is said enough, the truth does not matter as it will struggle to overtake the momentum of the lie. This has become more prevalent in recent times, as social media allows a message to be repeated ad infinitum.

While the subject was Donald Trump, the same can be said of Anti Cyclist postings. People listen, retweet (even if oppposed), and by the time someone gets round to posting a clarification about the stupidity of the post it is too late and people will not listen.

You see it here as well, where we allow fair and balanced discussion (I hope) but you come across posters, who presented with facts, figures and irrefutable data refuse to accept simple concepts about road safety (being the prime example). I am happy to say, I have been shown to be wrong on more than one occasion, my simple mind cannot understand how some people cannot accept that there was (an understandable) mistake in their view.

I have seen journalists do this to a hospital consultant I know, in 2006 he was reported as saying the pay offered was "mickey mouse".... despite him never saying it - it was widely reported and atributed to him.

The old adage - a lie told often enough becomes the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Hurrache wrote: »
    But you drive and therefore presumably read the ROTR, which has sections on animals for as long as I remember. Plus common sense plays a massive part. People shouldn't need to be spoon-fed cop on.

Yes but for example crossing a major rd. There is no section that as a group you should do it together. Nothing on how to cross slip roads. Nothing on how to cycle close on single file say if there are two of you so cars can pass. Nothing on how you should position yourself at junctions so that you are seen. Nothing on how to signal to people in a group that there is something wrong with the rd etc etc.

I took driving very seriously as there were a few accidents in my family so I got a ton of lessons but there is nothing about cycling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Video: Cyclist who hit horse undertaking is convicted in court
    A cyclist who hit a horse undertaking the animal during a triathlon has appeared before the courts in the UK.
    The incident was recorded by the woman on the horse and went viral when she published the video, below, on social media.
    Iain Plumb (32), Crowthorne, Berkshire, was ordered to pay £926, two thirds of which was due to legal costs. He had already been banned from some triathlons
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclists-hit-horse-court/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Video: Cyclist who hit horse undertaking is convicted in court

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclists-hit-horse-court/

Good.
    Dangerous prick.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    Good.
    Dangerous prick.

Should have done the other undertaker as well. Ridiculous only one of them got done for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only issue i have with the above fine is whether a motorist would have received the same, or a statutory fine maybe 10% the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

the only issue i have with the above fine is whether a motorist would have received the same, or a statutory fine maybe 10% the size.

Doubt one would have fit unless they were walking, and then they'd be a pedestrian.

2/3 of the fees were apparently legal costs, which makes the fine quite small. Unlike many motoring incidents, that the court go exceptionally easy on, hitting a controlled animal is one that even a motorist is likely not to get away very lightly with.

Just an opinion, which is not based on any knowledge or fact.

CramCycle wrote:
    2/3 of the fees were apparently legal costs, which makes the fine quite small. Unlike many motoring incidents, that the court go exceptionally easy on, hitting a controlled animal is one that even a motorist is likely not to get away very lightly with.

I'm not so sure. There was an incident in England (different country, I know) where a driver went too fast around a corner, crossed completely over to the other side of the road, and ploughed into the two horses that were being ridden towards a bridle path. The first horse got thrown up into the air, but somehow both horses and riders only had minor injuries. Driver was given a driver awareness course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm not so sure. There was an incident in England (different country, I know) where a driver went too fast around a corner, crossed completely over to the other side of the road, and ploughed into the two horses that were being ridden towards a bridle path. The first horse got thrown up into the air, but somehow both horses and riders only had minor injuries. Driver was given a driver awareness course.

Link to the collision , you reference.
    One of the horses needed 100 stitches.
    I like the way, in the video, that when one of the riders picks himself up from the ground, he goes to help the horse first, rather than the other rider.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40134629

Eamonnator wrote:
    Link to the collision , you reference. One of the horses needed 100 stitches. I like the way, in the video, that when one of the riders picks himself up from the ground, he goes to help the horse first, rather than the other rider.

That's the one!
    I probably should have said relatively minor. One of the riders ended up in hospital too, as a precaution. However, stitches and a check up are minor, considering the impact they got.

The way you had send bend, I thought that it was moronic excuse making by the court that there was no way he could have seen the horses (I know it doesn't matter but courts are really dim in such regards). Christ of all mighty, you could see the animals from ages away, the bend was only slight and well, ****, how could that happen with anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention.

That's akin to drunk driving, asleep at the wheel, or whatever, should be an instant license pull and off the road for 5 years minimum.

Replace those horses with two kids, which it easily could have been. They wouldn't have survived. That is always the issue, you will have people look at that video and not realise the issue, just look at it and think well no one died so it wasn't that bad, rather than realise, someone could have easily died and the punishment should be on par with what could have happened.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Link to the collision , you reference.
    One of the horses needed 100 stitches.
    I like the way, in the video, that when one of the riders picks himself up from the ground, he goes to help the horse first, rather than the other rider.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40134629

I'm no expert on horses but maybe it was the correct thing to do. Calm and secure the horse to prevent it kicking out and further injuring the person?

• Advertisement

I'm no expert on horses but maybe it was the correct thing to do. Calm and secure the horse to prevent it kicking out and further injuring the person?

makes alot of sense and shows good awareness, most of would run to the person but what you say is the right decision if you have a cool head.

Advertisement