Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

one of my all time heros died recently Fred Pickering the footballer and a really nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Peter Tork of the Monkees, aged 77. He was always my favourite among them.
    R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Andre Previn has left the building also. Forever to be remembered for his appearance with Morcambe and Wise. :) And in some homes, nothing else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

jan michael Vincent of airwolf aged 74

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was convinced he was about 10 years younger than that. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Farewell to somebody you have probably never of but somebody you have definitely heard. Hal Blaine has died at the age of 90.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47537451

responsible for one of the most famous intros in popular music

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Farewell to somebody you have probably never of but somebody you have definitely heard. Hal Blaine has died at the age of 90.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47537451

responsible for one of the most famous intros in popular music

I only learned of him a few months back.
    Probably the greatest difference ever in the entire history of the entertainment industry between his fame and his work IMO.
    And a pretty cool likeable guy. He featured in a drumming programme on the Sky Arts channel that I stumbled across. That whole 'wrecking crew' gang are very significant people.

Richie (ruin) Ryan. Made it to 90.

He did a decent job at a time of great financial stress through the oil crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Mark Hollis - lead singer of Talk Talk died back in February, aged 64
    he produced some great music, Lifes what you make it, Talk Talk, Its my Life and was notorious for not buying into the whole "pop star" image. A very humble and talented man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It was announced today that 'Toaster' and drummer of The Beat and General Public, Ranking Roger (Charlery) has died after a battle with brain tumours and lung cancer aged 56

I always found him a mesmerising character on stage, your eyes were just drawn to him

My favourite The Beat track

• Advertisement

Gosh, no one noticed Scott Walker leaving us! Loved the Walker Brothers music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Gosh, no one noticed Scott Walker leaving us! Loved the Walker Brothers music.

He deserved his own thread :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109765986

0lddog wrote: »

Don't tell me that O & O's have become irrelevant at this stage! :( Its been my home for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Don't tell me that O & O's have become irrelevant at this stage! :( Its been my home for so long.

Cheer up JB !

Scott appealed to all ages. While you and I might remember him from the Walker Brothers era he evolved over the decades. Some interesting and very pleasant interviews with him up on youtube. There even seems to have been a Beeb prom concert featuring his music. :D

Scratch this. Apparently he died 2 years ago. Enjoy the song anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just saw Fergal Quinn died.
    I remember he rang me personally once, to follow up on a 'cranky oul' one complaint' I had written about checkouts on one of their feedback cards.

We spoke for a good twenty minutes about all the things that made me (at the time) get a long bus journey out from where I lived to Superquinn. Very charming man. Now it's very possible he was thinking 'this will shut the oul' one up' but the man knew how to do customer service. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Rip Peter Mayhew aged 74, better known to most as Chewbacca from the Star wars films

Freddie (Ate my hamster) Starr died day.

His was a love it or loathe it type of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Screen icon Doris Day has died aged 97

https://jrnl.ie/4632277

*sings* When I was just a little boy, I asked my mother, what will I be...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

She was a real legend of the big screen back in the day.

97 is a fair innings and I guess many of the younger generations would have little perception of her talents and popularity half a century and more ago

Whip-crack-away Doris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Ah Noooo :( she was a personal favourite.

Love, love love those movies!

Just saw here, the comic genius Tim Conway passed today. :(

Not sure who Peggy Lipton or Mod Squad was, but RIP.
    :(
    That's 3 in one week.

Didn't know Tim Conway but did like Carol Burnett, she's a natural and still going at 86. By the way, Olivia de Haviland is 102!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

By the way, Olivia de Haviland is 102!!

She should get together with Kirk Douglas, although he may have his eyes on Vera Lynn......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Niki Lauda. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Judith Kerr The Tiger who came to Tea

73e833d7a8b7db6a0c14aad750317861.jpg

Nikki Lauda's name is known in this family as himself is interested in motor racing. Grumpy is also known as my daughter was a fan. But I have to admit I hadn't heard of Judith Kerr until it was on the news. Wish I had.

• Advertisement

6 time Grammy Award winner,Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame inductee and Wrecking Crew member Dr John has died of a heart attack at the age of 77. RIP Dr John

Advertisement