Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot take: Multiculturalism is good

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Fivesevens wrote: »
    Multiculturism is fine
    Until you bring africans and muslim culture into the mix
    Everybody else is fine
    Prove me wrong
    Protip you cant

Lol so only asians are ok?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

sk8erboii wrote: »
    The thing is, Ireland is lacking in raw materials and fuel (unless you count peat). In the modern world, Ireland would become like Haiti (who were also pretty insular, until recent when the storm hit and they didnt have the infrastructure to cope and thus needed the aid of other nations) if we were insular.

Without multinational companies Ireland would be a forgotten satellite state.

I agree with you there there for the most part, we haven't become multicultural over night though and its not all down to multinational companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Here’s the thing about multiculturalism, immigration and all related areas;

A certain amount of it is good, too much of it bad.

It’s controlling the amount of it is the issue.

Neck yourself fa ggot

Funny thing is, you would never say that to me in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

This is a bizarre contradictory thread. You have people saying "multiculturalism is great - you get to experience vastly different cultures and ideas all in one place". But isn't this exactly what you don't want? Doesn't this lead to everywhere being the same indistinct melting pot of cultures where variety and ideas will stagnate until stimulated by another set of cultures/ideas?

What's the point in travelling if you can't experience something different? Multiculturalism=globalism=anti-culturalism

• Advertisement

The biggest victims of multi culti are women
    But they vote for it
    Lol

The biggest victims are actually rereg trolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

UK - Massive crime problems, Muslim rape gangs, voted to leave EU mainly over immigration, racism increasing, Muslims beginning to flex muscles over lgbt issues (believe me this is just beginning) massive crime problems in African communities.society divided
    Multiculturalism not working so well and the partys only starting

USA - more racially divided than have been in a long time, getting worse by the day. Atomised society. Huge crime problems. Set to get worse on every front. Multiculturalism not working out so well.

Sweden - Need I say more?

Brazil - racially divided, massive crime problems over a century and getting worse, atomised disfunctional society. Multiculturalism hasn't worked out so well.

Yugoslavia - broke up into a genocidal ethnic conflict

South Africa - absolute hellhole, topping the world stats for violent crime, rape, gang rape, collapse of civil society

The list goes on

Tell me.. Which are the successful Multicultural societies again??

Oh Yeah, Japan - Almost 100% ethnically homogeneous, virtually crime free, high trust, high functioning society

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

OP. What a load of drivel.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Multiculturalism=globalism=anti-culturalism

I think you've gone to some severe leaps of logic there lad

Calm down ladies.

• Advertisement

Tell me.. Which are the successful Multicultural societies again??

Every country that has ever existed participated in multiculturalism.

Its the default state of humanity

Bok bok bok bok bok bekok

sad

Every country that has ever existed participated in multiculturalism.

You have been lied to kid, your very future is being stolen from you and you are being conditioned to think its a great thing.
    What kills me is that it's you who will be the primary loser in this new society but the wool has been pulled over your eyes.
    The future is going to be very different than what you imagine it to be.
    You will wake up when reality hits you in the face down the line but it will by then be too late unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't know why you are bringing ISIS into this, I don't believe I've ever spoken of them on here. Also the sister comment, a bit much.

Multicultural=Islam=ISIS, that's the trope I'm playing on. 'Evil dark men coming to rape the womenfolk' is rarely far behind when someone gets uppity about immigrants coming here to ruin everything. I didn't think you would be so easily offended.

You have been lied to kid, your very future is being stolen from you and you are being conditioned to think its a great thing.
    What kills me is that it's you who will be the primary loser in this new society but the wool has been pulled over your eyes.
    The future is going to be very different than what you imagine it to be.
    You will wake up when reality hits you in the face down the line but it will by then be too late unfortunately.

I actually pity you if those are the kinds of thoughts going through your head.
    Not trying to be demeaning but I cant imagine a high functioning member of society to have that at the forefront of their minds.

If you are disadvantaged im very sorry. I hope you find a way out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Multiculturalism is just the lie that America tells itself to sooth its conscience that it's still effectively a slave state and now, just like them, we import large numbers of brown people to do all the menial tasks like cycling around with dinners on their backs, cleaning toilets, washing dishes, minding children and giving "massages" that we're too bloatedly decadent and egotistical to perform anymore. We've even given the immigrants special slave quarters where they pay through the nose to live 6 or more people to a room.
    But hey, I had a sandwich in that new Malawian place in Stoneybatter Una Mulally tweeted about so I'm totally modern and enlightened, just watch out for those awful local kids in their grey tracksuits; I can't believe they're still allowed to live around there.

The thing is, Ireland is lacking in raw materials and fuel (unless you count peat). In the modern world, Ireland would become like Haiti (who were also pretty insular, until recent when the storm hit and they didnt have the infrastructure to cope and thus needed the aid of other nations) if we were insular.

Without multinational companies Ireland would be a forgotten satellite state.

Absolute nonsense.

kowloon wrote: »
    Multicultural=Islam=ISIS, that's the trope I'm playing on. 'Evil dark men coming to rape the womenfolk' is rarely far behind when someone gets uppity about immigrants coming here to ruin everything. I didn't think you would be so easily offended.

Im not offended, I just thought your comment was a bit much that's all, I do have a teenage sister but you weren't to know that. I'm not of those people you are describing.

Absolute nonsense.

How would Ireland kickstart an industrial revolution when it lacks everything needed for it?

Not trying to be demeaning but I cant imagine a high functioning member of society to have that at the forefront of their minds.

I have a house, job, wife, kids, successful in my career, my god the arrogance of youth...

• Advertisement

Yeah that was fairly demeaning alright, don't forget it's the people not at the forefront of society that benefit the least from multiculturism and mass importation of low skilled workers, however in the business I'm in, the last couple of years the clients are now starting to ask for Irish workers , they do this in a roundabout sort of way for the most part, like asking for lads that have English as their first language.

I have a house, job, wife, kids, successful in my career, my god the arrogance of youth...

where do you find time to rereg and make 150 posts the past month?

It'd be a handful for sure, with all your family and career

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Im not offended, I just thought your comment was a bit much that's all, I do have a teenage sister but you weren't to know that. I'm not of those people you are describing.

Fair enough, the post was deliberately hyperbolic. I think people dramatically exaggerate the threat posed by immigrants and just need to sit back and relax. The problem is information flow, we only hear the bad news and forget it's not an accurate picture.

where do you find time to rereg and make 150 posts the past month?

It'd be a handful for sure, with all your family and career

Until a week or so ago I have never posted on boards in my life. I realise there are a lot of re regs but I am not one of them.
    In fact I'd love to know how to do it as I wish to change my username. Is it against the rules to ask that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The op has basically confused multi culturalism in one country with openness to trade and/or new ideas. Which isn’t the same thing at all. Japan is now open to western ideas, as well as its own, but it’s not multicultural.

Nor is a multi cultural state the same as a multi ethnic or pluralistic state. The US never described itself as multi cultural until revent decades, though it was always a nation of immigrants. It instead promoted the idea of a melting pot, e pluribus unum. Now it’s e pluribus multis.

Obviously Europe needs immigrants, it also has a right as a (trigger alert) great and ancient civilisation to choose who those immigrants are and to demand that the immigrants integrate into this great and ancient civilisation.

Instead, and this isn’t the fault of the immigrants, the demand is often to replace the existing with the new, to take down the statues that have the audacity to have been white in a country that was 100% white, to “decolonise” English literature (absurdly more common in England) , to scorn or remove from sight paintings or photos of white men — including soldiers, to demand an end to white supremacism in countries that have been white for all history. Whatever that means.

That is I think what understandably gets people's back up.

The op has basically confused multi culturalism in one country with openness to trade and/or new ideas. Which isn’t the same thing at all. Japan is now open to western ideas, as well as its own, but it’s not multicultural.

Nor is a multi cultural state the same as a multi ethnic or pluralistic state. The US never described itself as multi cultural until revent decades, though it was always a nation of immigrants. It instead promoted the idea of a melting pot, e pluribus unum. Now it’s e pluribus multis.

Obviously Europe needs immigrants, it also has a right as a (trigger alert) great and ancient civilisation to choose who those immigrants are and to demand that the immigrants integrate into this great and ancient civilisation.

Instead, and this isn’t the fault of the immigrants, the demand is often to replace the existing with the new, to take down the statues that have the audacity to have been white in a country that was 100% white, to “decolonise” English literature (absurdly more common in England) , to scorn or remove from sight paintings or photos of white men — including soldiers, to demand an end to white supremacism in countries that have been white for all history. Whatever that means.

That is I think what understandably gets people's back up.

I didn't confuse anything mate. You seem well read but misinformed. Good points but alas, multiculturalism is a broad term and good or bad aspects fall under it.

As a sum, it has been a positive force for humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reactionary types beware: Multiculturalism is defined as the spread of people and ideas.
    I know you're already thinking about white genocide, catholic oppression and that liberal arts girl that rejected you for being rough around the edges. But hear me out, because im about to tell you why multiculturalism is good.
    The one reason: It's the default state of humanity.You ever wonder why those forgotten tribes like in the sentinel islands is rare and in many ways primitive? Because they are not like us. The rest of the world has managed to collectively cooperate. One guy comes up with a great idea and someone else from another country copies it and improves it. Thats multiculturalism.
    I made this thread as a response to the obvious xenophobic hatemongering in other posts.
    Like some scumbag throwing acid to a child's face, somehow implicates every immigrant and they should be put under a proverbial spotlight. Its tenuous logic at any point of view.
    Right now I want you to imagine if Ireland became your insular and backwards utopia. Forget about the Wakanda syndrome (That if a nation somehow closes its borders and focuses on itself it will become advanced) and look at case studies. The empire Japan is the poster boy for the self-serving xenophobic nation state. And it was 200 years behind until it stopped the blockade then it entered modernity.
    If Ireland had no multiculturalism (which includes the Catholic church) it would literally be a depressing backwater even moreso than it was for hundreds of years. Everything you ever owned, knew and f*cked is influenced by foreign people.That doesn't mean genocide, asmuch as self-victimizing citizens in the top 10 quality of life in the world would have you think. It simply means acknowledging that Ireland and multiculturalism are deeply intertwined, even back to the building of 'native' structures (which were built by people that came from spain, scandinavia and france).
    Ireland's golden days when it was all 'native' never existed. In fact, those days were among the most depressing and oppressive in history that the population never recovered. Blighted by a food that came from Peru.

OP why do defensive on the subject? If multiculturalism is indeed so accepted - why do we need to tell people it is - shouldn't it be self evident?

As to the definition you gave - I believe multiculturalism has a much wider meaning in this discussion than which you give it credit tbh.

Now I know I'm being lazy but here is Wikipedia for a basic primer to start.
    The term multiculturalism has a range of meanings within the contexts of sociology, of political philosophy, and of colloquial use. In sociology and in everyday usage, it is a synonym for "ethnic pluralism", with the two terms often used interchangeably, for example, a cultural pluralism in which various ethnic groups collaborate and enter into a dialogue with one another without having to sacrifice their particular identities.

It can describe a mixed ethnic community area where multiple cultural traditions exist (such as New York City) or a single country within which they do (such as Switzerland, Belgium or Russia). Groups associated with an aboriginal or autochthonous ethnic group and foreigner ethnic groups are often the focus.

In reference to sociology, multiculturalism is the end-state of either a natural or artificial process (for example: legally-controlled immigration) and occurs on either a large national scale or on a smaller scale within a nation's communities.

On a smaller scale this can occur artificially when a jurisdiction is established or expanded by amalgamating areas with two or more different cultures (e.g. French Canada and English Canada).

On a large scale, it can occur as a result of either legal or illegal migration to and from different jurisdictions around the world (for example, Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain by Angles, Saxons and Jutes in the 5th century or the colonization of the Americas by Europeans, Africans and Asians since the 16th century).

Multiculturalism as a political philosophy involves ideologies and policies which vary widely.

Now explain why if multiculturalism is such a natural state of affairs as you have claimed, does Europe and the US remain the largest immigration destinations worldwide. Surely we should be supporting the idea of diverse immigration as a means to global multiculturalism to all nations and not just western ones? What happens when the majority of the worlds countries do not support such ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MOD

FIvesevens banned

Any more racism or personal abuse and I'll lock the thread for good.

gozunda wrote: »
    OP why do defensive on the subject? If multiculturalism is indeed so wonderful - why do we need to tell people it is - shouldn't it be self evident?

As to the definition you gave - I believe multiculturalism has a much wider meaning in this discussion than which you give it credit tbh.

Now I know I'm being lazy but here is Wikipedia for a basic primer to start.

Now explain why if multiculturalism is such a natural state of affairs as you have claimed, does Europe and the US remain the largest immigration destinations worldwide. Surely we should be supporting the idea of diverse immigration as a means to global multiculturalism to all nations and not just western ones? What happens when the majority of the worlds countries do not support such ideas?

The vast majority of people accept multiculturalism as a net positive lad.

And the nations that are still on flux are the ones that were affected by European imperialism, which entailed exploitation of people and resources.

Its not that hard to understand. Vietnam for example, was under the throes of French hegemony up until the 70s hence why they are wary of white landowners. In the same way Ireland is still collectively staunchly anti-British hegemony. Contrast say with the Philippines who are very much open to foreigners due to America fighting for their liberty against Japan during WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MOD

Kowloon don't post in this thread again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement