Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot take: Multiculturalism is good

Options
  • 07-03-2019 12:36am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Reactionary types beware: Multiculturalism is defined as the spread of people and ideas.

I know you're already thinking about white genocide, catholic oppression and that liberal arts girl that rejected you for being rough around the edges. But hear me out, because im about to tell you why multiculturalism is good.

The one reason: It's the default state of humanity.

You ever wonder why those forgotten tribes like in the sentinel islands is rare and in many ways primitive? Because they are not like us. The rest of the world has managed to collectively cooperate. One guy comes up with a great idea and someone else from another country copies it and improves it. Thats multiculturalism.

I made this thread as a response to the obvious xenophobic hatemongering in other posts.

Like some scumbag throwing acid to a child's face, somehow implicates every immigrant and they should be put under a proverbial spotlight. Its tenuous logic at any point of view.

Right now I want you to imagine if Ireland became your insular and backwards utopia. Forget about the Wakanda syndrome (That if a nation somehow closes its borders and focuses on itself it will become advanced) and look at case studies. The empire Japan is the poster boy for the self-serving xenophobic nation state. And it was 200 years behind until it stopped the blockade then it entered modernity.

If Ireland had no multiculturalism (which includes the Catholic church) it would literally be a depressing backwater even moreso than it was for hundreds of years. Everything you ever owned, knew and f*cked is influenced by foreign people.

That doesn't mean genocide, asmuch as self-victimizing citizens in the top 10 quality of life in the world would have you think. It simply means acknowledging that Ireland and multiculturalism are deeply intertwined, even back to the building of 'native' structures (which were built by people that came from spain, scandinavia and france).

Ireland's golden days when it was all 'native' never existed. In fact, those days were among the most depressing and oppressive in history that the population never recovered. Blighted by a food that came from Peru.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Not all ideas are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Happy enough here with horticulture....
    Let's grow trees and sow seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

School sociology assignment I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bollox is it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

sk8erboii wrote: »

One guy comes up with a great idea and someone else from another country copies it and improves it. Thats multiculturalism.

No, that's stealing intellectual property! ...….why bring China into this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Like it or not, Ireland will become a white minority eventually, as will many countries in western europe.

People need to accept human globalisation is simply inevitable. The vast majority of people in this world aren't white (85-90%) and they will flock, quite understandably, to richer countries (USA/Canada, Western Europe, Australia).

Obviously some people will take issue with this, but we all human at the end of the day. Nationalism IMO, is simply is load of sh1t, so I say bring on human globalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Reactionary types beware: Multiculturalism is defined as the spread of people and ideas.

That is simply a useless and worthless definition, irrelevant to real world usage of the term.

Are you Humpty Dumpty ?
    When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean

- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I've no problem with multiculturalism, worked in 23 different countries and took in a lot of their culture, as they mine...if you are ever in the streets of Geoje Sth Korea and some local calls you a langer, you know I've been there (4 months). Most xenophobes probably never left their own parish, and those that worry about losing our culture...the brits tried that for a few hundred years and we still have most of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I've no problem with multiculturalism

Define it, then.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

That is simply a useless and worthless definition, irrelevant to real world usage of the term.

Are you Humpty Dumpty ?

- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

Mate thats literally what multiculturalism means. I know you desperately want it be defined as mass migration (which is part of the MC gestalt) but thats not all it is.

If you really wanna see the 'real world' insular utopia, it exists in the form of sentinel island.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

OP how old are you?

OP how old are you?

23 mate. And still not a bitter cynical person

You only know a multi cultural Ireland. Before you were born things weren't too bad here, as surprising as that might sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I know you're already thinking about white genocide, catholic oppression and that liberal arts girl that rejected you for being rough around the edges. But hear me out, because im about to tell you why multiculturalism is good.

The one reason: It's the default state of humanity.

You ever wonder why those forgotten tribes like in the sentinel islands is rare and in many ways primitive? Because they are not like us. The rest of the world has managed to collectively cooperate. One guy comes up with a great idea and someone else from another country copies it and improves it. Thats multiculturalism.

I made this thread as a response to the obvious xenophobic hatemongering in other posts.

Like some scumbag throwing acid to a child's face, somehow implicates every immigrant and they should be put under a proverbial spotlight. Its tenuous logic at any point of view.

Right now I want you to imagine if Ireland became your insular and backwards utopia. Forget about the Wakanda syndrome (That if a nation somehow closes its borders and focuses on itself it will become advanced) and look at case studies. The empire Japan is the poster boy for the self-serving xenophobic nation state. And it was 200 years behind until it stopped the blockade then it entered modernity.

If Ireland had no multiculturalism (which includes the Catholic church) it would literally be a depressing backwater even moreso than it was for hundreds of years. Everything you ever owned, knew and f*cked is influenced by foreign people.

That doesn't mean genocide, asmuch as self-victimizing citizens in the top 10 quality of life in the world would have you think. It simply means acknowledging that Ireland and multiculturalism are deeply intertwined, even back to the building of 'native' structures (which were built by people that came from spain, scandinavia and france).

Ireland's golden days when it was all 'native' never existed. In fact, those days were among the most depressing and oppressive in history that the population never recovered. Blighted by a food that came from Peru.

I agree. Multiculturalism is great.

Especially if you filter out the bad cultures.

That way you can have all the benefits of civilized, hard working, cooperative cultures.

And none of the insular, troublesome, downright dangerous, fundamentalist, non-cooperative, cultures.

You only know a multi cultural Ireland. Before you were born things weren't too bad here, as surprising as that might sound.

Yeah I reckon Ireland has always been one of the 'mildest' nations in recent history. Even our civil war, which was a huge tragedy, weren't that bloody, number wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Multiculturalism is defined as the spread of people and ideas.

Grand, except that's not what it means in a political context, so your follow on is kinda irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The empire Japan is the poster boy for the self-serving xenophobic nation state. And it was 200 years behind until it stopped the blockade then it entered modernity.

Not to mention traditionalists got them into a war they couldn't win and adapting American practices made them a technology and automotive powerhouse.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Grand, except that's not what it means in a political context, so your follow on is kinda irrelevant.

Im sure its irrelevant while you type on an american laptop, on a website coded by an indian guy, while tucking into some chinese so you can get ready to work for a british company in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People think of the bad things but always forget about all those examples of when a vastly different culture mass emigrated to a nation and it worked out well for the indigenous population.

There was......eh.....hold on.......that time when, no......eh......

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Define it, then.

Various cultures in a society can exist on an equal footing once all are respected, religion,color,language,food and art can co-exist.

• Advertisement

How depressing a place was Ireland to live in the 90s?

Usually that decade is spoken much more positively in the US and the UK than it is here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://twitter.com/NewsDeclan/status/1103050457449201665

"Protestants keep toasters in cupboards"

How depressing a place was Ireland to live in the 90s?

Usually that decade is spoken much more positively in the US and the UK than it is here.

from what i hear from older lads it was alright at that point. The real bad time was way before, like the 60s and 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Back when you didn't have twitter to tell you about how **** things were. We're not living in the end-times, take a breath, relax your shoulders and don't worry about all the ISIS members that you think are on their way here to personally finger your sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

What on earth are you talking about? How far back are we going here? The 80's when everyone in the north was living in fear? When the country barely had a pot to piss in and was ravaged with corruption and cronyism? When the church still had an iron grip on society and as a result, abused many children and teenagers of the time?

Jesus the list goes on. Ireland is in a much better place now, regardless of how you view immigration and multiculturalism, at least be honest about how much better off the country is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

When you're 33 or 43 and realising you can't afford a mortgage, ever increasing rents, due to to an endless influx of people keeping property at a premium you might not like it.

When you're 33 or 43 and realise there is an endless supply of labor competing for your job and keeping wages suppressed you might not like it.

When you're 33 and realise you can't afford to have kids but you see all those 'minorities' around you with large families you might not like it.

When you're 33 or 43 and notice that you're one of the only white faces in your neighbourhood and that your neighbours don't seem to like you very much you might not like it.

When you're 33 or 43 and you notice that there is a significantly large proportion of the population that adheres to a very assertive, and aggressive religious belief and that they hold a serious amount of political power and change the laws to reflect that religious belief you might not like it so much.

When you're 33 or 43 and realise that your country is starting to resemble south Africa in terms of crime and violence you might not like it.

When you're 33 or 43 and realise that the new majority population have regressed to their own cultural practices and did not (as you thought they would) become Liberal like you then you might not like it.

When you're 33 or 43 and you notice that women's and lgbt rights have regressed completely because they do not reflect the majority opinion then you may not like it.

When you're 33 or 43 and notice that Pakistan is still majority Pakistani, Nigeria is still Majority Nigerian, China is still majority Chinese etc but Irish are a dwindling minority you might wake up and think.... Oh Sh1t

Think about the future

As I say I think the UK and the US has a lot more fondness to the 60s-90s than Ireland does.

I always find British and Americans are much more likely to like 80s/90s music, entertainment and films than Irish people do.

I think Irish people generally are a lot more nostalgic towards the 2000s/2010s. Sadly for many others in will dominated by 9/11, Dubya and Trump.

circadian wrote: »
    What on earth are you talking about? How far back are we going here? The 80's when everyone in the north was living in fear? When the country barely had a pot to piss in and was ravaged with corruption and cronyism? When the church still had an iron grip on society and as a result, abused many children and teenagers of the time?

Jesus the list goes on. Ireland is in a much better place now, regardless of how you view immigration and multiculturalism, at least be honest about how much better off the country is now.

Of course it is but OP seems to think this is all down to good old multi culturism as we aren't capable of suvcess as a nation on our own. I know we've had bad times , 're read the ops post before you come jumping down my neck. She making out we were some stone age kip before 1999.

kowloon wrote: »
    Back when you didn't have twitter to tell you about how **** things were. We're not living in the end-times, take a breath, relax your shoulders and don't worry about all the ISIS members that you think are on their way here to personally finger your sister.

I don't know why you are bringing ISIS into this, I don't believe I've ever spoken of them on here. Also the sister comment, a bit much.

• Advertisement

Of course it is but OP seems to think this is all down to good old multi culturism as we aren't capable of suvcess as a nation on our own. I know we've had bad times , 're read the ops post before you come jumping down my neck.

The thing is, Ireland is lacking in raw materials and fuel (unless you count peat). In the modern world, Ireland would become like Haiti (who were also pretty insular, until recent when the storm hit and they didnt have the infrastructure to cope and thus needed the aid of other nations) if we were insular.

Without multinational companies Ireland would be a forgotten satellite state.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement