Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man child video gamers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just paid €60 for a game I played 20 years ago, may take a few days off work when it arrives or just call in sick

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just paid €60 for a game I played 20 years ago, may take a few days off work when it arrives or just call in sick

If you were a real gamer you wouldn't have a job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

To be fair, it's still an incredibly young hobby. People who deride it as a kid's activity most likely remember it from 30 years ago when Nintendo were targeting young kids with their advertising. Those who never caught the bug back then are oblivious to what it has now become.

Nowadays there are deep strategy games that take a lot of forethought and planning to be successful, which sit alongside the kid orientated games. They are just two examples of a hobby which is packed full of different genres that appeal to people of all ages and interests.

I understand that this is a tongue in cheek thread but it must be awful to feel like you must follow a specific blueprint on how to spend your time based on what age you are. It's almost like folding under peer pressure which is a small bit pathetic once you are out of your teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Pac1Man wrote: »
    To be fair, it's still an incredibly young hobby. People who deride it as a kid's activity most likely remember it from 30 years ago when Nintendo were targeting young kids with their advertising. Those who never caught the bug back then are oblivious to what it has now become.

Nowadays there are deep strategy games that take a lot of forethought and planning to be successful, which sit alongside the kid orientated games. They are just two examples of a hobby which is packed full of different genres that appeal to people of all ages and interests.

I understand that this is a tongue in cheek thread but it must be awful to feel like you must follow a specific blueprint on how to spend your time based on what age you are. It's almost like folding under peer pressure which is a small bit pathetic once you are out of your teens.

Yep, it's still very much so in its infancy and things are becoming progressively more creative. Eg You've got the Walking Dead series, The Last Of Us and others. They're got incredible storytelling and then there's all the other styles of games that make spectacular achievements. Also worth remembering when the first novels came into existence, they were decried as wastes of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I understand that this is a tongue in cheek thread
    Its a tongue in cheek thread but the truth is some older people actually believe such nonsense. I love films but these days I find games are better than films at telling stories are there far more immersive, I even prefer gaming to reading a book as I prefer to dictate myself how the story develops. Games like the Witcher 3 or the last of us offer an experience no film or book can match. Then you have gameplay, exploring in the latest Zelda game is far more interesting and rewarding than ANYWHERE in real life. Like the majority of gamers I have a girlfriend, a job, lots of hobbies and travel often. Games can offer things films and books can't but almost anything done in a book or film can be done in a game. I feel sorry for adults who don't play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

fryup wrote: »
    i got it in the neck for saying this before in similar threads...but here goes...

video games are for kids/teenagers

anyone over the age of 25 who play video games on a regular basis is sad, imho

i mean get a life

Awww honey, did Daddy not get you that N64 for Christmas all those years ago? Tell us baby, who hurt you this badly to make you this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What year is this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What year is this?

Well we have had year if the dog etc

I think this year is the year of the moanbag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Former Snooker World Champion Neil Robertson’s career almost went down the Kermit because he was hopelessly addicted to video games.

I have no point, just saying.

I played Mortal Kombat on an arcade machine recently, still amazing when you get Sub Zero to rip off your opponents head and it has the spine dangling from it.

FIFA is great too with lads and a few beers, good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

And endless list of former sports champions were hopelessly addicted to pints/painkillers/gambling...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Trolls really aren't even trying any more, are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

batgoat wrote: »
    I just realised, each individual story is about an incredibly unhealthy obsession..... :O So much darker now.

Yeah **** got really ****ed up for Mr. Snow.

Trolls really aren't even trying any more, are they.

The fact it has managed over 10 pages and the OP starting the thread has hardly responded with anything logical speaks volumes

Mission accomplished I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The fact it has managed over 10 pages and the OP starting the thread has hardly responded with anything logical speaks volumes

Mission accomplished I guess

Probably after gluing themselves to the wall trying to stick up their 55 inch TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Like anything, it's fine in moderation.
    If you are playing games all day and don't get out - yeah it's a problem - but that would be the same of any hobby.

But I can see the OPs point, unfortunately gaming usually has bad reps as it can focus on the bad aspects of it - I say this as someone who enjoys a game of FIFA ... till 4 in the morning sometimes !! The time just flies by.

edit - I see the OP has been banned.
    hmm I wonder was it the same person that started the car crash fiction thread - has a similar name Sirname ring to it.
    Go on admins tell us ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

As an adult, spending every evening glued to the game or to the TV would be equally unhealthy. But certainly for downtime it has its purpose in adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not healthy in my opinion as these people want control of everything. They can’t seperate real life from their gaming life.
    Should adults who play games be audited?
    Ah, so you want to be audited. Okay. We'll around at 3pm on April the 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm not a gamer myself but what's the harm?

What's the harm? I'll tell you what the harm is. The lady below, her boyfriend broke up with her so he could play Call of Duty. WTF.

https://www.maxim.com/women/yanet-garcia-call-of-duty-break-up-2018-7

utr.jpg

Video games should be banned, I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kimbot wrote: »
    Well we have had year if the dog etc

I think this year is the year of the moanbag

Ah cmon, this is boards.ie....every year is the year of the moanbag!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What's the harm? I'll tell you what the harm is. The lady below, her boyfriend broke up with her so he could play Call of Duty. WTF.

utr.jpg

And now his net worth is 1.5 million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

It's their own business how people spend their leisure time as long as it isn't affecting anyone else it's not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My mother and stepdad play one or two rounds of Mario Cart every evening before going to bed.
    Personally I don't know a healthier relationship than theirs.
    It's one of those rituals I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

utr.jpg

Actually they broke up because she asked for part of his revenue share from YouTube

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Actually they broke up because she asked for part of his revenue share from YouTube

Yup, they were both featured in each others vids, but she wanted a cut of his because of her arse.

I think in his explain video, he also said she was too needy and dependent on him.

I'm going to play some BattleFront II tonight.

Also known as a succubus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Yea the F off got reported.

There is no way your OP is real... you couldn't be that much of a twat.

But just in case... I'm telling you to F off too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They could have a maximum age limit introduced as well as the existing minimum age. Under this age you might be influenced to go on a rampage.* Over this age then go and clean the gutters you layabout.

*Shockingly enough I have heard of games where if you kill enough people then it says "rampage!" in a triumphant tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

They could have a maximum age limit introduced as well as the existing minimum age. Under this age you might be influenced to go on a rampage.* Over this age then go and clean the gutters you layabout.

*Shockingly enough I have heard of games where if you kill enough people then it says "rampage!" in a triumphant tone.

That was like 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I used to lose days of my life playing Civilisation III. Fcukin loved that game. The only way I'd realise time would be when I'd be bursting for a pee and realise that it was 6 hours since I last left the game.

Ah, the days when I didn't have a mortgage. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I used to lose days of my life playing Civilisation III. Fcukin loved that game. The only way I'd realise time would be when I'd be bursting for a pee and realise that it was 6 hours since I last left the game.

Ah, the days when I didn't have a mortgage. :D

jeez, I so want a game of Civ now

That feeling when you unleash a horde of barbarians...

https://classicreload.com/civilization.html

Advertisement