Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man child video gamers

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hobosan wrote: »
    Derision of video games is hilarious. To video game enthusiasts, you may as well be going around scoffing at the Sistine Chapel. You come across as a buffoon and your criticism only serves to highlight your own failings.

Do people deride the video games themselves? I thought everyone was of the opinion that they are getting better and better. The stories more complicated and challenging, the violence more graphic and real.

I think the issue some people have is with their promotion and facilitation of a sedentary life for children. And indeed man children. Parents can at least try to control what their children eat if they cannot prise them from the computer. With grown men that isn’t possible so they can just sit for hours on end gorging on crisps, chocolate, and fizzy minerals.

Those of us who can remember playing Pong and the like can only be impressed by the standards of computer games today but I shudder to think how my own life would have gone had shut myself away playing them all day.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I have a young fella who was getting far too immersed in computer gaming. He lives with his Mother, but I'm doing my best in trying to be a Father to the lad. Got fairly serious at one stage - he was up until 2 or 3 playing the Playstation, and then trying to go into school the next day.

Not the easiest situation, but we've managed to change things for the better. He was hopelessly addicted; and, as parents, we have to keep an eye on that. Ended up pretty much lifting him out of bed to go to hurling training. His favorite sport as a young teenager. He won't ever be lifting Liam, but I'm so happy to see him back out playing competitive sport. Huge difference in the young fella. You don't get a manual for dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Do people deride the video games themselves? I thought everyone was of the opinion that they are getting better and better. The stories more complicated and challenging, the violence more graphic and real.

I think the issue some people have is with their promotion and facilitation of a sedentary life for children. And indeed man children. Parents can at least try to control what their children eat if they cannot prise them from the computer. With grown men that isn’t possible so they can just sit for hours on end gorging on crisps, chocolate, and fizzy minerals.

Those of us who can remember playing Pong and the like can only be impressed by the standards of computer games today but I shudder to think how my own life would have gone had shut myself away playing them all day.

None of those criticisms apply to computer games any more than they apply to TV, movies, books, many arts and crafts etc. There are a great many hobbies that involve sitting down indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ah here
    I can sit for hours playing PUBG with only carrot sticks with an organic humus dip, and Evian mineral water.
    I save my crisps, chocolate, and fizzy minerals for the more energetic activity of watching TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Two packages of Tayto and a fizzy mineral please 1950's shopkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

anybody up for re-creating the antics of grand theft auto in real life?

Giveaway wrote: »
    anybody up for re-creating the antics of grand theft auto in real life?

Just as soon as I'm finished re-creating the antics of Love/Hate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The girlfriend is out tonight with her friends and its going to be a serious battlefront session in a few minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Just as soon as I'm finished re-creating the antics of Love/Hate

I'm on a Coronation Street buzz myself. Steve McDonald is getting a slap

so you are all too busy with your pre computer games moral hysterias to help me create a daily mail headline? Boards I am so disappointed in you

• Advertisement

Giveaway wrote: »
    so you are all too busy with your pre computer games moral hysterias to help me create a daily mail headline? Boards I am so disappointed in you

"Man plays video games for 60 hours every day"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I dont agree at all, some of the loveliest men I know play video games, personally id be much more interested in dating a man that plays video games regularly over someone who is always out drinking. Its a hobby like any other, no shame in it at all.

i can find enough time to play 60 hours of videogames a day, drinking and neglecting my kids. i am an uber-gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I was a pretty keen gamer in my 20's and early 30's. Stopped mostly when life/marriage and all that got in the way. I'm 46 now and just can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm for it any more. I fire up a game like Insurgency or Day of infamy and after being killed about 20 times I just quit.

Recently restarted Rainbow Six 3 and enjoy spending a few hours in the planning stages and sitting back giving go codes and watching how things pan out.

Ready or Not is a kinda move on from Swat 4 but not going to be released till next year. Looks good.

The lads who spend 4 hours a day playing FIFA while skulling cans with their friends are the same lads who would call a person spending a night playing Skyrim etc. a saddo loser. The irony is lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Gaming is a hobby,many people in their 20,s and thirtys play games .
    Its like any hobby, many people watch tv, listen to music ,
    its no worse than anything else ,as long as its done in moderation .
    Some lads just play sports games or call of duty.
    Games are much more complex now, you can play online games with
    2 or 3 other people, in a squad like fortnite ,or player unknown battlegrounds .
    its certainly better than going to the pub every night or using drugs .
    Some people play games with their children ,
    like mario kart, music games, like guitar hero .
    I think 30- 40 per cent of gamers are women .
    Alot of people play games on phones .
    Some games are well scripted and have a interesting story.
    I watch some games on youtube , like the last of us ,
    as its like watching a film .The graphics on games now is at least as good
    as action scifi films from the 90,s .

Advertisement