Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man child video gamers

Options

Comments

“I’m going home to lock myself in the cupboard till they catch that fella, goodbye to ye father”

Good old Mary Brosnan (no relation) strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwanoman

The OP sounds a bit unstable to me..

Whilst I am not a big gamer.. less than an hour a week at the moment, I do get the megadrive and ps2 out when my mates come over and we play Sega games that we played as kids.. Who cares? It's a bit of nostalgia and clean fun..

A good friend of mine plays red redemption or whatever it's called. I am happy to go to his house and watch him play it and chat about it and have a few beers on a Friday night if the Mrs goes out with her friends..

I must need audited, hung drawn and quartered for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I had an English teacher in secondary school named Mary Brosnan. She was a cúnt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There are some gamers who haven't yet worked out that abusive, mysoginistic, racist thrash talk isn't appropriate in adult company.

There are many people who dont play games that have the same problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

VinLieger wrote: »
    There are many people who dont play games that have the same problem

Very true. Just sit in the crowd at any football match, far worse.

Gaming is far better for you than staring with your mouth open wiping the drool from your chin whilst watching Dancing with the Stars, X Factor and 40 hours of soaps every week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

This is the saddest and most pathetic post in the thread.

You gave up a hobby you could have enjoyed in order to lower your standards enough to get partners stupid enough to not see gaming as a genuine hobby, and to get partners who wouldn't be with you because of something you enjoy.

And you think gamers are sad? Jesus.

Going outside and meeting girls was, and is, far more fun than playing computer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Going outside and meeting girls was, and is, far more fun than playing computer games.

It's a pity you couldn't do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭pah

What do you do in your spare time, meet more girls?

They aren't mutually exclusive.

How often do you go outside meeting girls? Is that a casual thing you do for a while in the evenings to relax?

Or maybe you already have a girlfriend and are happy to chill out and watch TV with her?

pah wrote: »
    What do you do in your spare time, meet more girls?

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

I don't vegitate in front of the computer screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

9-5: work
    6: dinner
    7:30 - 9: meet girls

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yea the F off got reported.

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

I also read, practice guitar, go the pub, go out for coffee, go to restaurants with my girlfriend and when I'm not doing that, I'm working on the laptop or I play some games.

Saying video games is "vegetating" is just nonsense. If someone chooses to unwind with a game, then so be it. You're vegetating with a book, or with your pint, by the same logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

Some of us would rather get into a decent game than practice wonderwall or drink ourselves into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Live and let live, play guitar if you enjoy it, play computer games if you enjoy it, take a strap on if you enjoy it, fook me, why does anyone give a sh1t what someone else enjoys, to the point of being 'concerned. It seems judging and being genuinely concerned about others hobbies could be considered a hobby. Which is concerning.

Do what you want indeed. But I am prejudiced against adult gamers. Similary I can't stand adults who are fussy eaters or weed smokers.

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

I do all of those things and still enjoy a good game. I don't vegetate in front of the television for hours, nor do I have a smartphone surgically attached to my hand at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Not healthy in my opinion as these people want control of everything. They can’t seperate real life from their gaming life.
    Should adults who play games be audited?

I don't like this post or your following posts as you don't give enough information on why you dislike it, or what you would value as time better spent. It's like father jack shouting "women priests" and sitting back waiting for a response.

Do what you want indeed. But I am prejudiced against adult gamers. Similary I can't stand adults who are fussy eaters or weed smokers.

I will do what I want, indeed, even if some of the ladies aren't a fan of it. Being an adult is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

I mean, I get there's a good chance you're trolling right now, but you do know that for the majority of gamers it's a hobby, right?

I've met gamers through games like WoW who were legitimate models (male and female), Mila Kunis was an avid Warcraft player for like 7 years, so was Vin Diesel and a good few more.

It's certainly not healthy to over-play games, but it's not inherently a bad thing to play games as a hobby either.

• Advertisement

Adult gamers all started gaming when they were young, I was about 4 or 5. Games grew up and advanced as the gamers did, they got bigger and better and matured. The thing is, they are still fun. There's never been any point in my life where I wasn't interested in at least one game that was coming out in the future. Games aren't all Sonic the Hedgehog you know? Red Dead 2 had a deeper and more interesting story than 90% of movies that came out in the last few years. If you want to be willfully ignorant about the medium, that's on you.

You should have a go at grown men that collect Funko Pops, or buy action figures. Surely that's worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I don't see any problem with it, a grown man on a skateboard I'd have a problem with.

What about a grown man playing Tony Hawkes game on the PS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What is this, the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What about a grown man playing Tony Hawkes game on the PS?

Your age is showing... Tony Hawk has been irrelevant in gaming for well over a decade. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

Yet ironically here you are, posting on boards. Unless of course you have some RoboCop style intelligence and can post directly with your mind?

Also, you and Mary seems very similar! Same posting style. Same language construct. Same account creation date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don't think any of us can deny that casual gaming has become more socially acceptable. Think the smart phone has had much to do with that. There certainly is a rump of society who play games to excess though, tick all the stereotypes around the image of the compulsive gamer, and get extremely defensive and angry when people point out that their lifestyle choice comes across as weird, unhealthy, and not becoming of a man or woman of that age.

I've two teenage sons, and one of them is starting to portray worrying signs of becoming a compulsive gamer/nerd. The other lad plays games as well, but it's part of a healthy balance that includes playing GAA and rugby, hanging around with his friends, chasing around after girls like a fúcking randy Jack Russell, trying to play guitar, studying. A well-rounded young lad.

The other one worries me though. Games are pretty much all he lives for. They don't live with me during the week, but their battleaxe of a mother tells me that he never stops gaming - his evenings are spent locked in a room shouting into a headset, and he gets very angry when I log on remotely to the router to cut the broadband at 11PM. He's morose, angry, and extremely pale looking. I hope he grows out of it, as I don't want him to become one of those stereotypes - a man of 35 with a ponytail, wallet chain, 3 chins, terrible BO and dress sense, ordering takeway etc, just so he can spend 40 hours a week playing virtual soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The other one worries me though. Games are pretty much all he lives for. They don't live with me during the week, but their battleaxe of a mother tells me that he never stops gaming - his evenings are spent locked in a room shouting into a headset, and he gets very angry when I log on remotely to the router to cut the broadband at 11PM. He's morose, angry, and extremely pale looking. I hope he grows out of it, as I don't want him to become one of those stereotypes - a man of 35 with a ponytail, wallet chain, 3 chins, terrible BO and dress sense, ordering takeway etc, just so he can spend 40 hours a week playing virtual soldiers.

Sounds like he's angry at his Dad for bailing on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

I do all these things and go to the gym five days a week.
    I still play video games.

Vegetable checking in, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

When you really think about is it any more productive to spend your free time winding up Gamers than to actually be a Gamer?

Is the committed Gamertroll simply a parasite which exists to feed off the Gamer population?

Will there ever be a thread created to troll Gamers that is so blatant, so obvious, that they manage to resist the urge to post defensively about their hobby, even though they know by posting they are giving the OP exactly what he/she wants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Read
    Practice guitar
    Go for walks
    Go to the pub

And the most important one, mind your own damn business.

Advertisement