Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reheated takeaways

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yeah, while obviously stuff like food hygiene & that are important most people with a healthy immune system will be absolutely fine. No need for such hysteria. Anyway, food poisoning is just one of nature's ways of thinning the herd. How would the people having conniptions about reheated rice have survived in the old days when dinner in winter was probably a 3 month old piece of mammoth gristle (if you were lucky!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Egginacup wrote: »
    There is a place on Dame street that serve real Chinese food BUT you have to go with a real Chinese person who doesn't take shit.
    My friend is married to a Chinese girl and he, she and some of his (Irish) friends went there. His wife took a look at the menu and then called the waiter over and demanded to see the "real" menu. The waiter resisted at first insisting (not in so many words) that these white western chumps wouldn't know the first thing about real Chinese food. She kicked off at him (in Mandarin) demanding the menu that had all her favourites on it. He sheepishly fucked off and brought back the "real" menu. Of course she had to order for everyone since the menu was explicitly in Mandarin but she put a banquet on their table that they said was spectacular and like nothing they'd ever tasted before.
    No fucking "beef with brocolli szechuan-style" horsesh1t on this menu I can tell you.

In all fairness, there is no problem with the European version of Chinese food that we are offered if its actually done with a bit of effort. It can be very tasty. The real problem is that these days its being done with extremely cheap ingredients and at a convenience rate that involves so much speed, its impossible for it to be decent in any way. The financial mark up is king.

I had my first Chinese takeaway experience in the mid 80s in Dublin as a mid teen. I'll admit it was nothing more exciting than a chicken curry and rice, but at the very least, you could see and taste the fact that it was actual chicken breast diced up in a sauce that didn't stick to the plate like concrete, when it wasn't washed immediately. It wasn't cheap back then either.

A quick comparison as follows circa 1986/7.

On a Friday, I might have been given a treat of getting some money for an Italian chippie on my school lunch break. It didn't extend beyond a bag of chips and onion rings. Total cost about a pound for both. A chicken curry and rice in the only chinese takeaway nearby was £2.50. These days the chips and onion rings costs about €4.30, while the chicken curry and rice is about €6.95. Back then there was a TV in the Chinese for a reason. You would wait longer than the chippy, because more effort was going into the dish. These days a Chinese takeaway is no different to McDonalds. Flash wok technique of combining cheap **** with speed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Holsten wrote: »
    I've heard people say this before and to me it's bollox.

Surely there are health and safety issues with reheating food? Thus they would be closed down if they failed, or they wouldn't get business due to their ****ty reheated food.
    ]Between 1st January and 31st December 2014, enforcement officers served 96 Closure Orders, 16 Prohibition Orders and one Improvement Order on food businesses throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Gongoozler wrote: »
    It's amazing that I have survived this long, with my regular reheating rice / Chinese.

me too,

I first 'remember' reheating left over chinese about 10 years ago. It's a habit I quite love as it makes one dish last 2 days.

I think alot of people underestimate what stomach acid can handle. Certain factors might increase risk obviously but..I'd like to know the statistical chance of food poisoning from reheated food.
    and the severity of that food poisoning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I tend to avoid takeaways [not restaurants] that have the kitchen hidden away where you can't see what they're doing.
    I love pizza places where the knead the dough and do the things where you can see them , and see into the wood fired oven

*drools*

• Advertisement
Advertisement