Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reheated takeaways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Valetta wrote: »
    there's no problem re-heating rice, so long as it's done properly and stored at the right temperature.

http://www.thehygienedoctor.co.uk/can-reheat-rice/

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

I use this in Spain all the time. Frozen rice. 3 mins in the microwave and delicious. Not sure if you can get it in Ireland.

http://world.openfoodfacts.org/images/products/848/000/061/3028/front.7.400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Just as long as the rice is never reheated. Which is a big no-no, as you will know from listening to your mother.

All fried rice is reheated boiled rice. They deliberately cook a bunch of extra steamed rice the night before to use as fried rice the next day. I have no idea if this is safe to do or not, but I can state pretty confidently that nobody can cook edible fried rice with freshly steamed rice, it would be soggy nasty mush.

I worked in the local chinese in my youth, just answered phones, helped out with odd jobs in the kitchen and when I was old enough to drive took over the deliveries. So I might be able to shed some light on how they work.

Most food is reheated. Not the full dish, but the parts of it. Most meat would be cut up, cooked and stored in a big tupperware container. Veg would be chopped up and stored in the same fashion but without being cooked first. All the ingredients are stored like this laid out in a big fridge sort of like one you'd see in a deli with an open end on it so they can easily access stuff as they are cooking. They would typically cook enough meat to do 2/3 days.

To prepare a dish as someone ordered it they would grab all the veg and precooked meat needed and put it in a pot of boiling water for about 5 mintues, then it'd be thrown into the wok and whatever spices and sauces or whatever would be added.

Chips would always be cooked to order. Boiled and fried rice would be made in batches a few times throughout the night and stored in the oven already in their trays to keep them hot. As mentioned above fried rice is yesterdays boiled rice fried in a wok with some sesame oil, saffron and msg (specific recipe probably varies wildly from place to place).

During my time working in that chinese they changed owners 4 times. Every one of them operated in a similar fashion so I'd be surprised if it wasn't the norm for most chinese take aways.

I've been guilty of reheating chinese the odd time at home, but by doing so you really are asking for food poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

^
    I reheat chinese takeaway all the time, never bothered me. But i think one needs to know how to do it.

A minute in the microwave is asking for trouble. But for say sweet n sour chicken, i dump it in a pan with a splash of water and basically cook it again, til its steaming.

Chips can just about re heated too, splash of water, into a tray and in the oven.

For chicken balls and a tub of curry sauce, simply remove from fridge and place directly in bin.

Cannot be reheated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I will go as far as saying curry tastes nicer the next day without heating up...nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've always reheated chinese, including the rice, in a microwave the next day. I've never gotten sick from it. Hell, my mam used to freeze left over chinese. I'd route it out 6 months later, defrost on the counter and lash it into the microwave. Nom nom nom.

• Advertisement

I've always reheated chinese, including the rice, in a microwave the next day. I've never gotten sick from it. Hell, my mam used to freeze left over chinese. I'd route it out 6 months later, defrost on the counter and lash it into the microwave. Nom nom nom.

Sorry but thats absolute filth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

While the safest approach to cheap Chinese food like chicken balls (there are some decent Chinese restaurants in Ireland but they're few & far between) is probably not to eat the stuff at all I've eaten & reheated that kind of stuff a good few times in the past & suffered no ill effects. Anyone with a reasonably good immune system should be fine. Probably no harm to reduce your intake anyway as that sort of cuisine is fairly high in calories.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Vom vom vom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I will go as far as saying curry tastes nicer the next day without heating up...nom nom

I tend to do that, eating it with bread... :pac:

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I tend to do that, eating it with bread... :pac:

I like it with Pita bread, make a kind of oriental sandwich

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Custardpi wrote: »
    (there are some decent Chinese restaurants in Ireland but they're few & far between) .

But are there any actual Chinese restaurants that serve real Chinese food? obviously they don't eat that crap from the take away every day in china. Anyone know any good restaurants that make real Chinese food?

Saralee4 wrote: »
    But are there any actual Chinese restaurants that serve real Chinese food? obviously they don't eat that crap from the take away every day in china. Anyone know any good restaurants that make real Chinese food?

You mean the Chinese people don't eat chicken balls and long tray 3in1s?

Yeah, err, no.

Thats not right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Was in San fransisco a few years ago and though I would do the right thing and went to a genuine Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. The place was full of Orientals munching away.

Thought the food was horrible.

FWIW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

M&L just off O'Connell street in Dublin is fantastic, nothing like the typical fast food style Chinese food most take aways serve. Never been to China myself but I've been told by Chinese people I've gone there on work outings with that it's fairly authentic.

There are probably others, that's the only one I know of tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Not so much Chinese, but there is an excellent Thai restaurant in Ashbourne... if somewhat small and hidden, called "LT Thai".

Aside from Thai they also do a variety of other Asian dishes including Chinese, Malaysian and Japanese.

I highly recommend giving them a try.

I've been told that some of the restaurants on Parnell St (that's the street perpendicular to O'Connell St for any non Dubs reading) serve pretty authentic Chinese grub. Never been myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

There are several places around the Parnell Street area in Dublin that do authentic chinese food, or at least as authentic as you'll get here. Chickens feet and this kind of thing.
    I've tried several times but can never really enjoy it.

I think the China Siuchaun in Sandyford, with it's 'gourmet' chinese food, is the best out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Was in San fransisco a few years ago and though I would do the right thing and went to a genuine Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. The place was full of Orientals munching away.

FWIW.

yea now I keep picturing the episode of an idiot abroad where your man was eating the foetus egg :confused:

So our Chinese food recipes, where do they come from, America?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

there's no problem re-heating rice, so long as it's done properly and stored at the right temperature.

http://www.thehygienedoctor.co.uk/can-reheat-rice/

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

Interesting. Not exactly foolproof though, not sure my mother would be convinced.

So if you bought your hot rice from the Chinese, let it cool and stuck it in the fridge within an hour, then it would be safe to reheat, but not otherwise. Hmmmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So our Chinese food recipes, where does they come from, America?

Apparently a lot of our Chinese restaurants that sprung up here in the 70s were Vietnamese escapin the conflict there.

I've also heard it said that the Chinese we get here is typical to Hong Kong - sweet and sour etc

My mum was in China a few times - visited different parts - never been myself - but she said the food was universally manky. Maybe that was where they were brought as part of guided tours and perhaps different grub to be had that's palatable if you're travelling independently , but nothing like what we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Interesting. Not exactly foolproof though, not sure my mother would be convinced.

So if you bought your hot rice from the Chinese, let it cool and stuck it in the fridge within an hour, then it would be safe to reheat, but not otherwise. Hmmmmmmm.

Pretty much.

I used to get Chinese takeaways on a regular basis and always had the second half the next day, including rice.

A lot of food safely advice is being over-cautious.

The most important rule is to keep to an absolute minimum the time that any food- cooked or raw is at room temperature.

There is a place on Dame street that serve real Chinese food BUT you have to go with a real Chinese person who doesn't take shit.
    My friend is married to a Chinese girl and he, she and some of his (Irish) friends went there. His wife took a look at the menu and then called the waiter over and demanded to see the "real" menu. The waiter resisted at first insisting (not in so many words) that these white western chumps wouldn't know the first thing about real Chinese food. She kicked off at him (in Mandarin) demanding the menu that had all her favourites on it. He sheepishly fucked off and brought back the "real" menu. Of course she had to order for everyone since the menu was explicitly in Mandarin but she put a banquet on their table that they said was spectacular and like nothing they'd ever tasted before.
    No fucking "beef with brocolli szechuan-style" horsesh1t on this menu I can tell you.

FWIW.

They serve "whitey" the muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yeah the Chinese we get here is not Chinese. Parnell St and Capel St are full of more authentic places some who have 'secret' menus. But having been, I'm not impressed with the style of authenticity they have. We have gotten used to meat of a certain quality and the Chinese places use a lot of organs etc, and so it's a different kind of thing.

Not for me. Icky and chewy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

nm wrote: »
    There are several places around the Parnell Street area in Dublin that do authentic chinese food, or at least as authentic as you'll get here. Chickens feet and this kind of thing.
    I've tried several times but can never really enjoy it.

I think the China Siuchaun in Sandyford, with it's 'gourmet' chinese food, is the best out there.

There was a Chinese place on Moore St., just off Parnell St., hit with a Food Safety Authority order back in the autumn (together with other Moore St. establishments consisting of an African food spot and two Indian food spots) so my advice would be to eat in the Moore St food places at your peril.

Places that fail FSA inspections & then reopen after making the necessary changes can usually expect follow up visits from the inspectors to make sure they're still on track. You're probably now safer in those restaurants than in others which have so far slipped under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Slowly dying a death now thankfully.

The sooner the better though, I'm planning on getting a van on the road to hawk outside discos selling pulled pork and quinoa

Are you gonna [EMAIL="w@nk"]w@nk[/EMAIL] those piggies off yourself or get someone in to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

All fried rice is reheated boiled rice. They deliberately cook a bunch of extra steamed rice the night before to use as fried rice the next day. I have no idea if this is safe to do or not, but I can state pretty confidently that nobody can cook edible fried rice with freshly steamed rice, it would be soggy nasty mush.

I worked in the local chinese in my youth, just answered phones, helped out with odd jobs in the kitchen and when I was old enough to drive took over the deliveries. So I might be able to shed some light on how they work.

Most food is reheated. Not the full dish, but the parts of it. Most meat would be cut up, cooked and stored in a big tupperware container. Veg would be chopped up and stored in the same fashion but without being cooked first. All the ingredients are stored like this laid out in a big fridge sort of like one you'd see in a deli with an open end on it so they can easily access stuff as they are cooking. They would typically cook enough meat to do 2/3 days.

To prepare a dish as someone ordered it they would grab all the veg and precooked meat needed and put it in a pot of boiling water for about 5 mintues, then it'd be thrown into the wok and whatever spices and sauces or whatever would be added.

Chips would always be cooked to order. Boiled and fried rice would be made in batches a few times throughout the night and stored in the oven already in their trays to keep them hot. As mentioned above fried rice is yesterdays boiled rice fried in a wok with some sesame oil, saffron and msg (specific recipe probably varies wildly from place to place).

During my time working in that chinese they changed owners 4 times. Every one of them operated in a similar fashion so I'd be surprised if it wasn't the norm for most chinese take aways.

I've been guilty of reheating chinese the odd time at home, but by doing so you really are asking for food poisoning.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    This and this again. This dude knows the score. I alluded to it earlier in the thread. The only thing I have seen done differently is the use of bought in precooked frozen meat and yes I have seen it. When you get it, its very noticeable. The cut of the meat tends to be in identical pieces and its chewy and tasteless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It's amazing that I have survived this long, with my regular reheating rice / Chinese.

Advertisement