Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reheated takeaways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Holsten wrote: »
    I've heard people say this before and to me it's bollox.

Surely there are health and safety issues with reheating food? Thus they would be closed down if they failed, or they wouldn't get business due to their ****ty reheated food.

If you cook a dish from scratch, then freeze it, it can be reheated no problem and taste great. Believe it or not, lots of restaurants do this with a variety of food such as lasagne. But from my experiences from the Chinese trade, they are using foodstuffs that have already been frozen and reheated. You do not reheat food that has already been reheated. In a lot of establishments you will see signage telling you to refrigerate within 90 mins and consume within a certain period. The chinese trade is off the radar in terms of food safety. May not make you sick, but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think most people are over the whole 'cooking is a women's job' attitude. Any twenty-something man should be able to rustle up a meal of some sort from scratch. It's basic self-sufficiency. In fact, men who rely on takeaways or other people to cook for them are more 'wussy' than those who can cook.

You're poised over your laptop waiting for the PM onslaught from impressed chicks now, aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nope. I had re-heated pizza a few months ago, thought it'd be fine. Got so sick, I was ****ting through the eye of a needle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Chicken vindaloo from Saturday night, put it in the fridge and eat it cold at 9am on Sunday morning for brekkie, divine!
    No reheating needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

anncoates wrote: »
    You're poised over your laptop waiting for the PM onslaught from impressed chicks now, aren't you?

No, only you've PM'd me so far ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

You mean I'm the only one who sneakily orders too much Indian to have some leftover for lunch the next day? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

people are missing the point here. its not about reheating takeaways YOURSELF, its about the takeaway outlets serving yesterdays leftovers as todays meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

thelad95 wrote: »
    No, only you've PM'd me so far ;)

Routine sting operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Robsweezie wrote: »
    people are missing the point here. its not about reheating takeaways YOURSELF, its about the takeaway outlets serving yesterdays leftovers as todays meals.

No, we knew, just found this more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I never order from our local chipper, since I moved house a couple of years ago. A snack box would usually be my artery clogger of choice. But the chicken has a toughness to it, that only comes from being cooked ages ago and being reheated. Tis a terrible pity, as there is nowt better than some recently cooked southern fried chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Curry is better the day after, FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Pretty sure this is crap, if I go to my local Chinese takeaway at opening time, I can hear them frying the food, and I've even been offered extra food for free at closing time because they'd have to throw it out anyway. My local takeaway is just a typical Chinese takeaway that you can find anywhere, nothing special about it. Maybe some takeaways engage in this practice, but I've personally never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Pretty sure this is crap, if I go to my local Chinese takeaway at opening time, I can hear them frying the food, and I've even been offered extra food for free at closing time because they'd have to throw it out anyway. My local takeaway is just a typical Chinese takeaway that you can find anywhere, nothing special about it. Maybe some takeaways engage in this practice, but I've personally never seen one.

I would agree with this. I've never received any reheats from any of my local takeaway & they're nothing special either.

Surely if takeaways regularly reheated food from the previous night it would breach health & safety rules. Fair enough if people think takeaways are muck anyway but they would still have to adhere to h&s rules purely for fear of being closed down. It's their livelihood after all.

Nothing beats pizza that you've reheated from the night before! Reheated chipper chips are vile though. They always go soggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Just as long as the rice is never reheated. Which is a big no-no, as you will know from listening to your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

One of the lads swears by eating leftover chicken balls and curry sauce for breakfast the next morning, cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I tend to avoid takeaways [not restaurants] that have the kitchen hidden away where you can't see what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Robsweezie wrote: »

Yes i have noticed it especially if you get chips. You just know when they have been reheated.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Back in Ireland for a few weeks. Always feel I'm missing something until I taste this takeaway ****e. Chinese? ****ing ****e and it was ****e before I left. Bland, quickly made muck, even in restaurants. I have one place I like, but its still not that good and its a restaurant. Indians? Oh good jesus for all they charge, its still so ordinary. Then we have the Italian chippers. How they have gone downhill.

It scares me that the OP wants to reheat this crap. Years ago, yeah, but these days you are literally reheating the reheated. The standard of takeaway food has sunk to new levels. There was a time when some effort went into it. Now its a race to the bottom and only for those who are ****faced.

Agreed. The takeaway food in Ireland/Dublin is fucking DIRE. The so called "ethnic" stuff is ..words fail me how this shit can be sold by people with a straight face. I went into some chinese kip to get some singapore noodles to take home. They didn't even have chopsticks....not even those crappy disposable snap-off ones. I guess they were used to just throwing a plastic fork into the bag along with the tub of shitballs and sauce that they usually dish out. The noodles were appalling btw. Dry, tasteless crap with slices of pork gristle. I've put less effort into masticating beef jerky than a piece of this garbage. The whole thing went in the fucking bin. I was staying at the mother's house after coming from the pub.....at least she had more booze in so I raided the cabinet.
    And if you ever go to one of those all you can eat chinese buffets....christ! The only thing you can eat there is the brocolli (or is that e.colli?) or the hot and sour soup.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Agreed. The takeaway food in Ireland/Dublin is fucking DIRE. The so called "ethnic" stuff is ..words fail me how this shit can be sold by people with a straight face.

Absolute worst culprits for reheating are those rubbish, generic, Chinese takeaways which you'd find ANYWHERE.

More so considering they don't really make the food themselves for the most part, it's all from jars and frozen bags. That €8.50 meal you just bought ? It's €0.50 worth of crap they bought in mass frozen in the back... making a €8 profit.

If you've eaten the real stuff you'd think this muck was absolutely toxic, but common regular Joe European wouldn't know better hence being taken complete advantage of.

• Advertisement

I can't eat the soup in a Chinese. Once we ordered it and it was grand but was putting the tub in the bin the next day and it was like a hard jelly or fat or something. It was discusting. Is that normal? Whats the soup made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Reheated pizza :)
    Reheated chipper/Chinese :(

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I can't eat the soup in a Chinese. Once we ordered it and it was grand but was putting the tub in the bin the next day and it was like a hard jelly or fat or something. It was discusting. Is that normal? Whats the soup made of?

It's called fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Last Indian I got a takeaway from was complete dirt, their salad was that dried out budget shíte you get in a plastic container at Dunnes or Aldi.

It was supposed to be Tikka sauce but looked like they tapped into a sewer pipe and siphoned the contents out into a saucepan.

Pizza I could eat all day if it wouldn't kill me and probably make me look all greasy with pimples the size of your fist. I love having it the next day cold................om nom nom.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    It's called fat.

So the soup is basically just melted fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Takeaway food is all muck, reheated or not. Get the pots and pans out and make yourself a proper dinner.
    Enough of that commie talk. Pay a Chinese person to make it for you, that's the capitalist way.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Saralee4 wrote: »

That congealed sludge is a combination of the monosodium glutamate and corn starch that they put in practically everything. The cornstarch is ok.....it's just used as a thickener same as your mum would sprinkle some flour into the pan to thicken up the gravy...but I agree it is fucking revolting when it cools and turns to that gelatinous slop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

This is true. When I make a curry, I make a massive pot of it that will last a few days. It gets better the longer it's left in the fridge (within reason).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Just as long as the rice is never reheated. Which is a big no-no, as you will know from listening to your mother.

there's no problem re-heating rice, so long as it's done properly and stored at the right temperature.

http://www.thehygienedoctor.co.uk/can-reheat-rice/

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    This is true. When I make a curry, I make a massive pot of it that will last a few days. It gets better the longer it's left in the fridge (within reason).

I concur, but at most consume within 2 days from cooking, I tend to make Indian or Malaysian curries with potatoes in it. I ain't a fan of eating it right away, as I want to let the potatoes absorb the curry overnight. :)

Advertisement