Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Have any of you keyboard warriors actually contacted Tulsa???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

to me traveler culture is as it always was. the music, the story telling, the dialect etc. stuff that may not be practiced as much today, but it is still what traveler culture ultimately is . it certainly isn't what people claim to be "their culture boss" such as the criminality practiced by elements of the community, something that could be dealt with if we paid for the resources to deal with it. something we can well afford to do given we are a very wealthy country.

Music — Maybe in the past. None now.

Story telling — Maybe in the past. It’s call out videos now.

Dialect — Just the dialect of the uneducated and won’t be educated.

I don’t know what the “etc” bit means. Maybe it’s their prowess at waving slash hooks, machetes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The only 'culture' travellers have shown us in the last decade is an excuse for stealing.. Fighting.. Wrecking lives and generally causing havoc.

And whoever said the father was only encouraging him to have a sip of the guinness clearly has not watched the video properly. The father kept telling him 'faster faster' wanting him to get drunk.

Abuse plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Education is how this cycle can be broken.

Not by giving them bullshít ethnic status and playing the victims every five seconds. They should be treated equally in society; both rights and responsibilities.

Reaching Leaving Cert level should be an absolute minimum standard and if their parents take them out of school, they should be prosecuted. Not to mention obvious actions like prosecuting the scumbag parent here.

their ethnic status isn't bull. if it was, they wouldn't have got it.
    they are treated equally in society in terms of rights and responsibilities under the law. it's elements of the settled community who unfortunately do not treat them equally, by for example, tarring the whole community with the same brush because of those who do bad things, something which as i said, wouldn't fly if it was aimed at other communities.

How can they be educated if the majority of them have zero interest in education? They'll just pull their kids out of school, no fixed address or in a halting site or housing estate that Guards won't enter for most reasons short of a murder investigation.

Imho there's no good reason why their lifestyle should be entertained in the 21st century. They need to be saved from themselves.

i'm afraid aspects of their lifestyle will have to be tolerated where it is correctly legally mandated to do so. the aspects that are genuinely problematic for society already have the tools available to deal with them.
    education and their current but slow movement to modern ways are the only way to save them from themselves.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Did you have something written or was your post always three dots?

To answer MrsObumbles question, I contacted by email, social services for Fermanagh area and also Tullamore courthouse where the father had last appeared. Social services from Derry emailed me back asking for as much info as possible. Tullamore also responded saying she had passed on the info to the relevant authorities.

That’s as much as I can do really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

A settled traveler family live in the same small village as me. They have a lot of kids, and one of them is around 9-10 and he walks up and down outside the houses in our estate every morning at around 6am. He checks every car and if he sees loose change in the car he tries the doors. If the door is open he’ll take the change.

I’ve watched him do this most mornings for the last few months. I went out to him yesterday morning and ask what he was doing. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

I feel sorry for him. Pity him. That’s no childhood to have.

He’ll graduate from cars to houses by the time he’s a teenager. He’ll grow up with no education and no hope.

What a great culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

to me traveler culture is as it always was. the music, the story telling, the dialect etc. stuff that may not be practiced as much today, but it is still what traveler culture ultimately is . it certainly isn't what people claim to be "their culture boss" such as the criminality practiced by elements of the community, something that could be dealt with if we paid for the resources to deal with it. something we can well afford to do given we are a very wealthy country.

Do travellers have a monopoly on music and story telling?
    Where does this take place, in the present day or 50 years ago?

And horses, a necessity at one time but attempting to keep a horse as a pet in a council estate? Really?
    I'm from a farming family, can I force my landlord to accept a cow on his lawn? Some of their expectations are unreal.

Can you list anything (legal) in contemporary travelling culture worth preserving?

Did you have something written or was your post always three dots?

To answer MrsObumbles question, I contacted by email, social services for Fermanagh area and also Tullamore courthouse where the father had last appeared. Social services from Derry emailed me back asking for as much info as possible. Tullamore also responded saying she had passed on the info to the relevant authorities.

That’s as much as I can do really.

I decided she wasnt worth getting a ban.

This culture you talk about is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I wonder should they bring the young lad onto the late late show, with his Guinness, next time Peter Casey is on....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This culture you talk about is gone.

Looks like previous generation approve, did it ever exist?

https://www.facebook.com/ellen.joyce.568/videos/1457530461043847/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

lawred2 wrote: »
    And this is culture,,,,,I give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Yes, in my waitressing days, I would have found that deeply irritating. And the irritation should just be reserved for the parents but I know I’d have been cursing the kid in my head too. I never minded cleaning up after accidental spills or whatever but cleaning up after people who do not give a fück would be aggravating.

Sounds like the last speech of a man at the gallows ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Looks like previous generation approve, did it ever exist?

https://www.facebook.com/ellen.joyce.568/videos/1457530461043847/

On what scale are they measuring " The greatest men in the country"?

Great at what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

'Ethic group'... how much did these dredges of Irish society bribe some politician to have them labelled as a protected group? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

well it's not going to be ended. at least not by anyone other then the travelers themselves. for anyone other then the travelers, it is not possible to end traveler culture altogether.

He right though.
    It serves no purpose other than to allow them to get away with crime.

On what scale are they measuring " The greatest men in the country"?

Great at what exactly?

Being wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

BeerWolf wrote: »
    'Ethic group'... how much did these dredges of Irish society bribe some politician to have them labelled as a protected group? :rolleyes:

The word is "ethnic". And they were already protected in their own right as members of the traveling community. It was a separate and equally protected status to ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wonder should they bring the young lad onto the late late show, with his Guinness, next time Peter Casey is on....

Nah, maybe Ireland's got talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Nah, maybe Ireland's got talent.

RTE will give him his own show soon enough. He's about as talented as Ray D'Arcy already.

He right though.
    It serves no purpose other than to allow them to get away with crime.

the fact travelers are prosecuted and jailed would to me at least, show that traveler culture does not allow them to get away with crime. lack of resources to catch criminals is the most likely reason travelers or other criminals are slipping through the net.
    you are assuming that because something doesn't serve a purpose to you, that it equates to not serving a purpose full stop, which i'm afraid for you is not correct. lots of things may not serve a purpose to us as an individual, but may do so to other individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

If tbat kid was on the Irish rugby team it would have won against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Oxter wrote: »
    If tbat kid was on the Irish rugby team it would have won against Wales.

From all the ball he would have stolen, totally agree.

Esse85 wrote: »
    From all the ball he would have stolen, totally agree.

Send him for elocution lessons to get a D4 accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Shefwedfan wrote: »

He'll be the new face of Guinness.

the fact travelers are prosecuted and jailed would to me at least, show that traveler culture does not allow them to get away with crime. lack of resources to catch criminals is the most likely reason travelers or other criminals are slipping through the net.
    you are assuming that because something doesn't serve a purpose to you, that it equates to not serving a purpose full stop, which i'm afraid for you is not correct. lots of things may not serve a purpose to us as an individual, but may do so to other individuals.

So please explain to me, what purpose does it serve?

So please explain to me, what purpose does it serve?

i think you would be best asking that question to members of the traveling community. they would be best placed to tell you what purpose their culture serves to them.

RHJ wrote: »
    It sounds like they are in a pub or restaurant is it even legal for them to have a child on the premises consuming alcohol. I'm surprised they weren't kicked out.[/quote

They probably owned the pub (Rathkeale?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sounds like the last speech of a man at the gallows ffs

I have no idea what this means in the context of my post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement