Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's sad to think anyone thinks this is just something ordinary and comparing it to a Sport is so out of touch with reality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hardly surprising attitude from someone who readily admits to frequent drink driving

ah the dunne - good man yourself, you're weren't long arriving to express your outrage.
    nullzero wrote: »
    Had a look back at what you're talking about, jesus christ almighty, what is this guy on?

EDIT : "I make sure to drink and drive responsibly."
    Well that's a relief.

It should be a relief, you won't see me driving up the road bouncing from one ditch to the other.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    ah the dunne - good man yourself, you're weren't long arriving to express your outrage.

It should be a relief, you won't see me driving up the road bouncing from one ditch to the other.

I know. Imagine being outraged at someone encouraging a child to drink and fight?

Or at someone who unapologetically puts others at risk when driving intoxicated?

Big mad aul pearl clutcher I am.

Actually in this case, "Won't someone think of the children?" is fitting

I know. Imagine being outraged at someone encouraging a child to drink and fight?

Or at someone who unapologetically puts others at risk when driving intoxicated?

Big mad aul pearl clutcher I am.

Actually in this case, "Won't someone think of the children?" is fitting

We should play a game, I'll post something non-pc that'll have you clutching your pearls and we'll see how long you take to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You're breaking the law, people die because of drink driving and you're making out that it's no big deal. You need to think about the possible implications of your actions.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

We should play a game, I'll post something non-pc that'll have you clutching your pearls and we'll see how long you take to find it.

Haha. Jesus, I get called a right wing Nazi in some threads, and am now being told I am some kind of PC nutjob here.

Drink driving and encouraging kids to drink and fight isn't "non-PC", it's just absolutely reprehensible.

People taking exception to your nonsense isn't a PC issue, you're openly admitting to drunk driving and excusing forcing a child to drink alcohol and fight. These are basic common sense issues and you're failing to understand them reflects poorly on you.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Any solutions to how the cycle can be broken?

Stop putting travellers in halting sites. Treat them the same as other social housing applicants. Aggressively prosecute parents who don't send their children to school. Additional supports for children in school and after school clubs. Prosecute parents who involve their children in crimes.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Stop putting travellers in halting sites. Treat them the same as other social housing applicants. Aggressively prosecute parents who don't send their children to school. Additional supports for children in school and after school clubs. Prosecute parents who involve their children in crimes.

Hey.. stop with that. No talking sense in here.

nullzero wrote: »
    People taking exception to your nonsense isn't a PC issue, you're openly admitting to drunk driving and excusing forcing a child to drink alcohol and fight. These are basic common sense issues and you're failing to understand them reflects poorly on you.

To be fair the father was merely encouraging his child to have a sup. Guinness does give you strength and after all. Whatsmore he was taking a healthy interest in his development as a boxer. I'd sooner have that than parents screaming on the sidelines and embarrassing themselves as they try to acheive their own failed sporting dreams through a sport they've forced on their child.

• Advertisement

To be fair the father was merely encouraging his child to have a sup. Guinness does give you strength and after all.

ahhh. Ok then. The penny has dropped. Shan't be feeding you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

they don't need to be wiped from the face of the earth and they won't be. you will need to get over that fact and keep the old fantasies to yourself.
    the video only proves that the father of the child is a scumbag, not the traveling community as a whole.

perhapse you could get in contact with them and ask them, and let us know their response? no point in constantly asking what particular individuals think about something when they aren't going to come on here and answer.

that would not have been possible. there are no methods which could have achieved this.
    travelers themselves going off the road which is actually happening slowly but surely is the best and only option.

he surfaces when there are genuine issues effecting the community which is what the organization he represents deals with. he has no specific need to comment on the video. in fact if he did, i'd reccan people would be complaining that he didn't say whatever specific thing they would want him to say. so given he probably couldn't win either way, then staying out of it is probably the best option.

Oh........goodie.

Haha. Jesus, I get called a right wing Nazi in some threads, and am now being told I am some kind of PC nutjob here.

Drink driving and encouraging kids to drink and fight isn't "non-PC", it's just absolutely reprehensible.
    MrFresh wrote: »

And you wonder why you get called a right wing Nazi yet agree with this statement?

To be fair the father was merely encouraging his child to have a sup. Guinness does give you strength and after all. Whatsmore he was taking a healthy interest in his development as a boxer. I'd sooner have that than parents screaming on the sidelines and embarrassing themselves as they try to acheive their own failed sporting dreams through a sport they've forced on their child.

So this is all for comic effect?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

And you wonder why you get called a right wing Nazi yet agree with this statement?

I think you'll find I'm more often called a left wing liberal in most threads.

[/LIST]

ah ok I'll bite. One for the road (a phrase you are familiar with i'm sure).

Do you think that aggressively prosecuting people for failing to educate their children is a bad thing?

[/LIST]

ah ok I'll bite. One for the road (a phrase you are familiar with i'm sure).

Do you think that aggressively prosecuting people for failing to educate their children is a bad thing?

The childs father is clearly educating him in the art of boxing. Did you see the moves of the young fella? You don't lick that off the stones!

Why is anyone bothering engaging with an obvious WUM?

The childs father is clearly educating him in the art of boxing. Did you see the moves of the young fella? You don't lick that off the stones!

...and i'm done.

Candie wrote: »
    Why is anyone bothering engaging with an obvious WUM?

It took them a while it has to be said.
    I'll just finish my pint and hop in the car and be off with myself:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It took them a while it has to be said.
    I'll just finish my pint and hop in the car and be off with myself:pac:

Mod

Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

This lad would give the baby Hulk a run for his money.

https://www.facebook.com/1145112458954200/videos/1277451009083437/?t=5

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Their 'culture' needs to be ended. It serves no purpose, it's backwards and a danger to everyone exposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This lad would give the baby Hulk a run for his money.

https://www.facebook.com/1145112458954200/videos/1277451009083437/?t=5

God that is horrific!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

God that is horrific!!

You can just call me Rows Grower.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Their 'culture' needs to be ended. It serves no purpose, it's backwards and a danger to everyone exposed to it.

well it's not going to be ended. at least not by anyone other then the travelers themselves. for anyone other then the travelers, it is not possible to end traveler culture altogether.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

it is not possible to end traveler culture altogether.

Can I ask what Traveller culture is in 2019, in your opinion?

As an aside, I have to say I've enjoyed your posting as of late. Really have. Very fair and engaging style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pyr0 wrote: »
    What really annoyed me about the video (which is horrible of course) is the blatant disrespect for their surroundings and lack of manners "throw the cutlery on the floor" and "stand up on the table there" just shows you how people like this are brought up to not give a f*ck on basic level.

Yes, in my waitressing days, I would have found that deeply irritating. And the irritation should just be reserved for the parents but I know I’d have been cursing the kid in my head too. I never minded cleaning up after accidental spills or whatever but cleaning up after people who do not give a fück would be aggravating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Education is how this cycle can be broken.

Not by giving them bullshít ethnic status and playing the victims every five seconds. They should be treated equally in society; both rights and responsibilities.

Reaching Leaving Cert level should be an absolute minimum standard and if their parents take them out of school, they should be prosecuted. Not to mention obvious actions like prosecuting the scumbag parent here.

How can they be educated if the majority of them have zero interest in education? They'll just pull their kids out of school, no fixed address or in a halting site or housing estate that Guards won't enter for most reasons short of a murder investigation.

Imho there's no good reason why their lifestyle should be entertained in the 21st century. They need to be saved from themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can I ask what Traveller culture is in 2019, in your opinion?

As an aside, I have to say I've enjoyed your posting as of late. Really have. Very fair and engaging style.

to me traveler culture is as it always was. the music, the story telling, the dialect etc. stuff that may not be practiced as much today, but it is still what traveler culture ultimately is . it certainly isn't what people claim to be "their culture boss" such as the criminality practiced by elements of the community, something that could be dealt with if we paid for the resources to deal with it. something we can well afford to do given we are a very wealthy country.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement