Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning Permission for Bayside shopping center demolition granted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

bri007 wrote: »
    Taking an age to finish it

Have to agree...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

BowWow wrote: »
    Planning Permission refused for the omission of the "Green" roof.

Good that that has to go ahead...

If I'm understanding correctly. The developer has tried last minute changes to cheapen the build. Canceling a planned green roof and trying to just cement block it instead? And it was refused? Forcing them to build as proposed originally?
    If so that's good. Can't stand sneaky builds and changes to plans..
    Are we in year 9 of this build? :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Alicano wrote: »
    If I'm understanding correctly. The developer has tried last minute changes to cheapen the build. Canceling a planned green roof and trying to just cement block it instead? And it was refused? Forcing them to build as proposed originally?
    If so that's good. Can't stand sneaky builds and changes to plans..
    Are we in year 9 of this build? :confused::D

The whole build has been sneeky. If memory serves there was a delay as they wanted an extra floor on the apartments, the request went in halfway through the build.... Now totally open to correction as I'm not an engineer but would the foundations not have to be a different depth to hold an extra floor?... Obviously they already were as they got their extra floor.

Was the supermarket not due to open last year? Then it went to June, then November now February it's a total joke.

It maybe 9 year from planning but the old supermarket was open in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

It maybe 9 year from planning but the old supermarket was open in 2016.

The old spar? Wasn't that still there past summer 2017?

L wrote: »

Very easily. The years are rolling into one at this stage :) I just know it was open in 2016 as I had to buy baby formula (and then bring it back as the tin was rusted), funny what sticks in your mind. So not 9 yrs in a rubble mess.

The build is still a joke with how long it is taking.

I was exaggerating with the 9 years :) It just feels like it.. Sistine chapel would have been built quicker :D

I was exaggerating with the 9 years :) It just feels like it.. Sistine chapel would have been built quicker :D

:) yes it definitely feels like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Passed it yesterday, coming on nicely. Main focus is on the Aldi section which looks to be almost ready for internal works. Might see it open before year end as once they can get inside LIDL / ALDI finish the work in no time. Whole site should be finished in about 6months I would say, 9 months if weather takes its toll. Next up should be to refurb the Community Center adjacent to it but I doubt there is money for that.

Passed it yesterday, coming on nicely. Main focus is on the Aldi section which looks to be almost ready for internal works. Might see it open before year end as once they can get inside LIDL / ALDI finish the work in no time.

Press release says February opening.... But then they also said November and June before that so won't be holding my breath.

The montessori /after school "kidz klub" has also pulled out not really surprising as they should be in their new premises at this stage.

• Advertisement

L wrote: »

The old Londis/Eurospar/Centra was demolished in early 2018.

The old Londis/Eurospar/Centra was demolished in early 2018.

You forgot supervalu :D

Hardware/Flower shop opened in a new double unit on Thursday, around from Centra. Nice shop.

Parts of the actual centre are beginning to look good...

Hardware/Flower shop opened in a new double unit on Thursday, around from Centra. Nice shop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think the dry cleaners has moved in there too, sharing the space.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I think the dry cleaners has moved in there too, sharing the space.

Passed by today, Dry Cleaners operating from usual premises. Hardware looked busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Passed by today, Dry Cleaners operating from usual premises. Hardware looked busy.

im not sure you could call it a hardware anymore :/, more Home and Garden as it calls itself.

im not sure you could call it a hardware anymore :/, more Home and Garden as it calls itself.

Fair Comment..

• Advertisement

The view from the penthouse really overlooks the houses. I appreciate in any housing estate you have a certain amount of privacy issues but generally no one parks themselves in their bedroom window for an afternoon.

Sitting out on that balcony is a direct view into the bedrooms and there's not much you can do, as the balcony is there to be enjoyed.

Yup, I think I picked it up wrong. The new hardware/garden place is selling some craft-y stuff made by the dry cleaners daughter/wife/mistress (sounds like the start to a good murder mystery) Looks like nice stuff! He’s selling some Celtic Candles stuff too, another local supplier ����

The new hardware/garden place is selling some craft-y stuff made by the dry cleaners daughter/wife/mistress (sounds like the start to a good murder mystery)

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I heard Kennedys coffee shop is going in. Could be a rumour but would be nice if it were to go in - nice coffee shop.

whodafunk wrote: »
    I heard Kennedys coffee shop is going in. Could be a rumour but would be nice if it were to go in - nice coffee shop.

Great if true. Good shops with nice food.

Wouldn't mind if it was "Perfect Day" like in Kilbarrack Centre - also good operators.

Hopefully not just yet another Starbucks/Costa/Insomnia....

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Great if true. Good shops with nice food.

Wouldn't mind if it was "Perfect Day" like in Kilbarrack Centre - also good operators.

Hopefully not just yet another Starbucks/Costa/Insomnia....

I agree hopefully not another coffee chain shop. Perfect Day is very nice also.

Also the bakery shop still has everything in it as it was previously. I asked the lady in the chipper recently if it was to reopen she just said she keeps hearing different stories so not sure at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Yup, I think I picked it up wrong. The new hardware/garden place is selling some craft-y stuff made by the dry cleaners daughter/wife/mistress (sounds like the start to a good murder mystery) Looks like nice stuff! He’s selling some Celtic Candles stuff too, another local supplier ����[/QUOTE

The bloke that runs the hardware is sound and he's had to move before because of high rent I think so hopefully when the whole place is finished he'll do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Anyone know what prices the apartments are going for?

Swung by last Wednesday. No bike stands yet unfortunately.

Hearing that the last of these original housing units from the old shopping centre won’t be re-roofed & finished in the same way as the others, something to do with the landlord/owner holding out or denying the works for some reason.

3-D7-A46-FE-4230-45-AC-9765-901-C79-B50-D9-E.jpg

2-A780037-75-AD-43-B8-8581-3-DC0-D55-FCA06.jpg

It’d be great if the finishing included replacing the old tarmac with the new stone, particularly up as far as the concrete all around the church but from the looks of it they’re only replacing a small part of it. Fingers crossed there’s some plan to complete the groundworks properly! 🤞🏼

Must be awful for those living there. years of a building site.

• Advertisement

Must be awful for those living there. years of a building site.

does somebody who lives in shopping centre expect quiet?

Well it would be reasonably quiet.

It was never a "hang out" spot. Even out the back where the storage spaces were, I never heard of any trouble.

The only main noise was the deliveries and rubbish collection.

The build is close to 2 yrs behind schedule so I'd say the residents are probably cheesed off at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

The normal noise of a fairly small shopping centre like Bayside isn’t exactly the same as the construction site of the past few years though is it?

Hearing that the last of these original housing units from the old shopping centre won’t be re-roofed & finished in the same way as the others, something to do with the landlord/owner holding out or denying the works for some reason.

3-D7-A46-FE-4230-45-AC-9765-901-C79-B50-D9-E.jpg

2-A780037-75-AD-43-B8-8581-3-DC0-D55-FCA06.jpg

That house is definitely cutting off it's nose to spite it's face!

It’d be great if the finishing included replacing the old tarmac with the new stone, particularly up as far as the concrete all around the church but from the looks of it they’re only replacing a small part of it.

That's probably church property/responsibility and not part of the shopping centre.

That's probably church property/responsibility and not part of the shopping centre.

Probably. But it would be nice to see the whole place looking ‘finished’.

Conchir wrote: »
    The normal noise of a fairly small shopping centre like Bayside isn’t exactly the same as the construction site of the past few years though is it?

did the people in the other apartments live there throughout?

It’d be great if the finishing included replacing the old tarmac with the new stone, particularly up as far as the concrete all around the church but from the looks of it they’re only replacing a small part of it. Fingers crossed there’s some plan to complete the groundworks properly! 🤞🏼

Tarmac in front of church replaced, and a new cobble lock path layed between car park and church door. I'd imagine they will lay new tarmac at side of church between it and the new development when finished the "Aldi" store.

Also looks like another part of the new car park will open soon.

That house is definitely cutting off it's nose to spite it's face!

i think the huge building beside it is cutting off its light

There was always a building there.

Granted the roof of the squash centre only came up as far as the second level (bedroom) windows, but it would have blocked the first level light.

• Advertisement

Granted the roof of the squash centre only came up as far as the second level (bedroom) windows, but it would have blocked the first level light.

There was also another "house" between the squash court and what's now the end property.

There was also another "house" between the squash court and what's now the end property.

I never noticed!

There were 7 apartments above shops. Now down to 4.

1_Bayside-Shopping-Centre-Sutton.jpg

I never noticed!

There were 7 apartments above shops. Now down to 4.

Yes, they took down 2 from the "Centra" end and 1 from the "Aldi" end. :)

Yes, they took down 2 from the "Centra" end and 1 from the "Aldi" end. :)

I can't remember that demolition even taking place!! Obviously done fairly carefully so as not to cause damage to the rest .

I thought all of them were coming down at the start, obviously not :)

But yeah don't understand why the last house doesn't get the facelift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Not really. That building is on the north side of the house so no real light loss.

It just looks ridiculous. Probably a childish spat with the landlord as suggested.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Not really. That building is on the north side of the house so no real light loss.

It just looks ridiculous. Probably a childish spat with the landlord as suggested.

Yeah the sun rises to the front and wraps around in the opposite direction to the building.

bri007 wrote: »
    Anyone know what prices the apartments are going for?

Sign in Kelly's window Sutton, From 450k to 650k...

I think that's wishful thinking.

Anyone paying 650k for an apartment over the shops is mad.

• Advertisement

Nearly half a mill for an apartment looking over a car park? Wow.
    I love Bayside but that is ridiculous.

Advertisement