Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AO Competition announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Matpat93

I have just been called for clearance. No. 31 in the order of merit! Best of luck to everyone with an interview in February

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Annemc123

Thanks for the update Mat! Just wondering what stream you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Matpat93

Annemc123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Mat! Just wondering what stream you are in?

I was in the general stream

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Robbusquets

I got called for Business and Finance yesterday morning! Low teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 redgoose1996

I got called for Business and Finance yesterday morning! Low teens.

What number were you in the order of merit ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Annemc123

Business and Finance stream has called up to 19 on the OOM so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ForEsme

HR stream have been called up to 5 on OOM so no movement since early Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MiggyB

Annemc123 wrote: »
    Business and Finance stream has called up to 19 on the OOM so far!

Have 19 been placed or only gone through clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DetteDublin

Got a placement in department of children and Youth Affairs. General stream, late teens. Does anyone know what that department is like please. No start date yet

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi apologies if this is a little off topic but does anyone know how often the competitions for AO/ EO usually come around? I will complete my level 8 degree in 2021 and would love to get back into the Public Service then if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Jenor0050 wrote: »
    Does no government mean a stall on recruitment?
    Not necessarily. Departments will still be working on new policies and the monitoring of existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi apologies if this is a little off topic but does anyone know how often the competitions for AO/ EO usually come around? I will complete my level 8 degree in 2021 and would love to get back into the Public Service then if possible.
    AO competitions were run in 2014 and 2016, and then every year since 2017. There is no certainty that an annual competition will continue to be the norm, but it makes sense to look to recruit from the latest batch of graduates.

EO competitions were held in 2014 and 2016 for the whole country, then in 2018 for Dublin only and 2019 for the rest of the country. If this pattern repeats, a competition for Dublin will open later this year and for the rest of the country in 2021. It's worth pointing out that you don't need a degree to be an EO and panels last for two years so, if you want to enter the Dublin-only competition this year, you might still complete your degree before you get a job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thechaseison

Hi all,

Well done to all who have been placed so far. I'm still waiting to be called for an interview but would like to be as prepared as possible when/if the time comes.

Just wondering how many pages is the document for the presentation? Is there a particular structure needed for the briefing note?

Does anyone have any links to practice documents online? :D

Thanks for any help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Branan

Does anyone know if past experience/education is taken into account when offering positions? For example, if you make it to the final panel and have significant experience in eg foreign affairs, would they be more likely to assign you to DFA (if there are open positions) than others? Or do they just go down the panel one by one in order and offer each candidate the first position that comes up, then move down to the next candidate and offer them the next position?

The fact that the final panel is ranked makes me think it's the latter, but I'm holding out hope that they might try to place candidates appropriately...

I'm heading into the interview stage for this competition after trying for the EU EPSO competition last year, and this process seems on the whole much more relaxed! But if I do manage to make it through, I'm hoping that I can get a position that's at least tangentially related to my studies and past experience - am I likely to be disappointed you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I might be the exception but I was assigned this month to a department that is very relevant to what I studied in college and my interests. Maybe with smaller numbers to assign from a panel, PAS do try and match up experience with roles but it would be dependent on which departments are looking at that time for an AO.

25 on OOM bus/fin stream going through clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AOHopeful2019

MiggyB wrote: »
    25 on OOM bus/fin stream going through clearance

Thanks for the update! I'm in the 40's so still a bit to go yet!

Could someone explain how the clearance works? Are we given a start date and then go through clearance or the other way around?

I'm just wondering how long the whole process takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Thanks for the update! I'm in the 40's so still a bit to go yet!

Could someone explain how the clearance works? Are we given a start date and then go through clearance or the other way around?

I'm just wondering how long the whole process takes?

You go through clearance first. Someone from PAS will contact you to check is it ok for them to contact your references and to confirm that you submitted all your documentation that you were required to at the presentation/interview. You can ask the person from PAS which department you have been assigned to, it is a provisional assignment based on passing clearance. Clearance can take a while depending how long it takes to contact your references and garda vetting.

When you pass clearance you will get a message from PAS saying the department you have been assigned to, and provided with contact details for the HR section if you want to contact them or you can wait for them contact you to discuss arrangements and your start date. Your start date will depend then on if you are working at the moment and your notice period, and also when your department can set you up on payroll.

For me the process was quick, I was contacted by PAS on a Tuesday and then contacted by my new department on the Thursday and given a start date for a month later. I was already an existing civil servant so that made the process easier.

You get a call to say your OOM has been reached and they will email you forms to fill out and any other info they need from you. They will b able to tell u which dept u are being assigned to but thats all. PAS will do clearance and maybe reference checks and then pass u over to the relevant dept. Contracts will issue from ur dept with proposed start date and location.

Moving constantly so might not be that long of a wait!!

• Advertisement

Thank you both so much for the info, very helpful!

Has anyone that has been assigned already be able to describe what their role had been like so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Hi, I called PAS and was told that up to 216 on general stream have been called to interview. Was told there was no plans to call a further batch. Up to 250 on OOM were asked to submit detailed form. Looks like if you were 217-250 you won't be called...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CS2020

Oh wow, I'm number 216 so I guess I got lucky! My interview is scheduled for Feb 5th. Does anyone know the presentation topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

CS2020 wrote: »
    Oh wow, I'm number 216 so I guess I got lucky! My interview is scheduled for Feb 5th. Does anyone know the presentation topics?

Best of luck. I appear to have just missed out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 throughthe808

32 going through clearance on B/F stream

32 going through clearance on B/F stream

Thanks for the update!

Are the majority of the Business and Finance stream going to Dept of finance or could you be placed in any department?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 throughthe808

Thanks for the update!

Are the majority of the Business and Finance stream going to Dept of finance or could you be placed in any department?

It could be any department according to PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CS2020

Has anyone in the February batch had their interview yet? If so, how was it? I have my assessment centre tomorrow and getting nervous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

CS2020 wrote: »
    Has anyone in the February batch had their interview yet? If so, how was it? I have my assessment centre tomorrow and getting nervous now.

Hey there,

I had my interview and presentation today.

It’s hard to say how it went! I think if you plan around the competencies and have some solid examples on your back pocket you should be fine. They don’t generally stray from that formula too much.

I found prepping for presentation to be quite tiring mentally and I didn’t realise that the presentation itself is a bit more of a role play scenario, so just read everything as thoroughly as you can and do your best. Go over stuff tonight, get a good night’s sleep and best of luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ForEsme

Hi, does anyone know are the offices for the Dept of Children and Youth Affairs only on Baggot St. or could you end up at some other location? Thanks

Advertisement