Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Have Tesla new battery tec? link should bring you to a twitter account with claims by Maxwell (Tesla Owned) that they have made a big breakthrough.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO12QXHVUAUFHeb?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

600 incoming, sold mine @ 320 ages ago :mad:

Word is that Model Y delivers to start in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are Tesla going to only going to use their battery tech for Tesla cars ( and power walls ) or are they likely to licence it out ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are Tesla going to only going to use their battery tech for Tesla cars ( and power walls ) or are they likely to licence it out ?

Is theirs better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's nothing to license out, is there? They make cells like everyone else (although because of the in house building and the economies of scale, they have a slight edge in terms of cost) and the main difference is that they build them safer and cool them better than others. With old skool techniques.

Markcheese wrote: »

Tesla's battery technology and drive train is the best out there and continuously moving further ahead of the competition. It would be crazy to do it but some analysts have a future SP target based on Tesla manufacturing and selling the drive train to other auto companies.

Tesla can very well add value to the drive train themselves without any need to be selling one of their best asserts. However, for the competition it would be a great idea. Take Ford. They are refusing to invest in any battery manufacturing because they believe the goal posts will move so fast they could be left with an obsolete factory before the paint is dry on the walls. That's the kind of commitment to EVs that has let Tesla gain such an advantage on them.

It's possible some analysts have looked at the deal Tesla and Fiat have done in Europe on fleet pooling (Co2 related) and read to much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tesla on a reasonable bull run again today, will be interesting what tonights Q4 profit figures bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

$620 in after-hours trading. Mother of divine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Wow.

Fair play bulls.

Still don’t like the market cap compared to the high output manufacturers however.

Elon is some man.

$655 now after hours, the big selloff people are waiting for might not come until $1000!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Thargor wrote: »
    $655 now after hours, the big selloff people are waiting for might not come until $1000!

Some guy on WSB bought $635 7/Feb calls with $1000 he didn't have (Some kind of direct deposit thing on Robinhood) and sold them before earnings for $1,025. It's worth about $70k now apparently..
    https://imgur.com/gallery/je0BjTc

cefh17 wrote: »
    Some guy on WSB bought $635 7/Feb calls with $1000 he didn't have (Some kind of direct deposit thing on Robinhood) and sold them before earnings for $1,025. It's worth about $70k now apparently..
    Wallstreetbets is hilarious these days.

The penny may finally be dropping for the haters. This kind of result was on the cards for a while. this time next year will be the big one though. No intention of selling until then. Up 12% after hours is a bit of an over reaction though. call should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Wallstreetbets is hilarious these days.

The gif movies are just the icing on the cake haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

Unbelievable, I'm a sucker for being a non-believer and not getting on board but again well done to all who are making a mint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

cefh17 wrote: »

What is this exactly?

I got 22 individual shares/investments in my Degiro account, 21 of them down today, but Tesla at a new high of 650.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

lucky john wrote: »
    The penny may finally be dropping for the haters. This kind of result was on the cards for a while. this time next year will be the big one though. No intention of selling until then. Up 12% after hours is a bit of an over reaction though. call should be interesting

What in the 10Q makes you think this was a good quarter? GAAP loss for the year of 700m or so, decline in Capex and R and D, dodgy non explanation of FCF numbers I’m curious as to what you see in the numbers that justifies the algos/ retail baggies/ CCP blowing this bubble up the way they are.

I’ve covered to mitigate overall risk to portfolio and took a hammering but my advice to anyone in TSLA, either long or short would be to trade VERY carefully. The minute the institutions decide to step in and pull the rug, it’ll be scary.

I’ll be very interested to read the fully audited K when it’s released

Just about to break 700!

USD715 a second ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

You can still some hear some bearishness from certain analysts here and there, some disbelief still
    so probably some more upside here still although getting really extended now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

730 USD. :eek:

To cash out and take a 30% gain in 2 or 3wks, or to hold on for 800 hmmmm???

• Advertisement

Hold for a 1000 at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭sk8board

Timmaay wrote: »

since the results last week it’s not following any rational data analysis or valuation logic.
    They’ve added almost 20bn (!) in market cap already today.
    It feels like that time oil went close to the mental barrier of $100 for the first time and traders drove it up to get the monkey off their back - in the case of tsla if feels like they are going after Toyotas MC, get the headlines and then come back

This is an auto manufacturer who have lost money for a decade including 700 million USD this year. They ‘delivered’ 360,000 cars this yr, barely touching low end of guidance. They’ve guided for 500,000 cars next year (below top end guidance last year) they have a factory in China that may or may not be at all operational this quarter. The CEO is likely one of the greatest fraudsters of the last 50 years and is releasing drug fuelled dance tunes on twitter while saying he’s going to cure brain cancer and Parkinson’s. For gods sake man, trade carefully.

Well done on your profits but think about the fundamentals here. You are watching a black box frenzy and trust me, your chance of catching the top is insanely low.

What in God's name

Based on what??????

• Advertisement

you should really have a target set, or know when you are going to take some off the table
    whenever this corrects it probably won't be pretty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Hold long-term, if you're not badly stuck for the money it's better to see where it goes and enjoy the ride. Definitely wouldn't be selling everything at least if you decide to sell soon

Based on what??????
    I was joking but the OP thanked the post so I want to make that clear that I was joking. Dont take advice from the internet. Think about taking out your original stake or a chunk anyway, this is Bitcoin mania, it could fall hard, nobody knows.

What in God's name

Never mind him. One of the few that didn't have the balls to put their money where their mouth is and go short on TSLA, I guess that's why he's still in here trolling. The others are long gone and are lying under a duvet crying somewhere in mummy's attic room :p

I don't suppose there's no point trying to work out what happened with the share price today. Even less point trying to predict what tomorrow will bring. Remember all the rancor over the $420. That's almost 100% ago.

Larry Ellison bought a $billion dollars worth of shares last year at $335. Well over doubled his billion in a few months. My wife thought I was crazy buying the few I bought at $230. I'm in trouble later when I tell her what they are today A...for not selling now & B... for not buying a lot more back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Based on what??????

Analysts like it a lot, they can barely keep up. One popular one set a new target of 808 today which was partly the reason for the jump. Along with improved relations and profitability at Panasonic due to Tesla, and continued strong demand for Model 3.

Regrettably I am the OP and the 24% gain I took on this doesn’t look so impressive any more!

Head tells me it should drop back by 6/7 % today, so it'll more than likely see $1000.

Head tells me it should drop back by 6/7 % today, so it'll more than likely see $1000.

.... and what does your data tell you? :)

we're in bitcoin territory circa Oct 2018. Amateur investors are piling in, based on gut feel alone.

"when the bellboy is giving you stock advice" etc etc ...

institutional investors will cash out, because thats what the logical data will tell them to do at these prices, and that'll be that for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I genuinely don't understand the reason behind this stock and its inflated price. I would be very concerned at anyone buying in at this price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

sk8board wrote: »
    .... and what does your data tell you? :)

we're in bitcoin territory circa Oct 2018. Amateur investors are piling in, based on gut feel alone.

"when the bellboy is giving you stock advice" etc etc ...

institutional investors will cash out, because thats what the logical data will tell them to do at these prices, and that'll be that for a while.

Yesterday's volume was 46.4 million shares. That's got to be more than just amateur investors.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Yesterday's volume was 46.4 million shares. That's got to be more than just amateur investors.

definitely more than just amateurs - exactly what happened with BTC. Institutional investors know more than retail and always will - they smell a bubble and are happy with the risk. true amateurs only smell profit and stories of gains.

Ask the question: what rational reason would make you buy tesla today. The only reason is momentum - but equally that momentum never sustains.

The institutional investors will pump in, ride the wave for a while and then dump. Amateurs won't dump, they never do. They always believe their gut feel was right and stay in too long.

the herd is ALWAYS wrong on this stuff.

edit: the final number of new investors in tsla from Robinhood, yesterday alone, was over 11,000 (!). 11,000 amateurs smelt quick gains yesterday that they didn't smell at any point below 700, based on no logical data analysis, and we know what that means.

Now extrapolate that Robinhood number worldwide - thats a lot of new investors in a single day who suddenly decided that this stock represents value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,216 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm just laughing at the shorts.
    This is great, anytime opening my revolut is showing me more and more gains.

I'm not cashing out, if it drops back to $400 that's still me in the green towards my cybertruck.

ELM327 wrote: »

I'm not cashing out, if it drops back to $400 that's still me in the green towards my cybertruck.

What price would tempt you to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Looks like another big day, testing 850 premarket. Probably shorts knowing they need to buy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm just laughing at the shorts.
    This is great, anytime opening my revolut is showing me more and more gains.

You don't properly own shares that you buy using Revolut, just fyi in case you were unaware

........... Probably shorts knowing they need to buy now

:eek:

I doubt anyone is that daft tbh. Well, maybe they are to be fair. Hard to fathom though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

This is an auto manufacturer who have lost money for a decade including 700 million USD this year. They ‘delivered’ 360,000 cars this yr, barely touching low end of guidance. They’ve guided for 500,000 cars next year (below top end guidance last year) they have a factory in China that may or may not be at all operational this quarter. The CEO is likely one of the greatest fraudsters of the last 50 years and is releasing drug fuelled dance tunes on twitter while saying he’s going to cure brain cancer and Parkinson’s. For gods sake man, trade carefully.

Well done on your profits but think about the fundamentals here. You are watching a black box frenzy and trust me, your chance of catching the top is insanely low.

It's madness. I'm not stepping in from of this train, but there's going to be great opportunity to sell this again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,216 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Arrival wrote: »
    You don't properly own shares that you buy using Revolut, just fyi in case you were unaware

Do go on....

Augeo wrote: »
    What price would tempt you to sell?
    Unsure. Hadnt envisaged selling before cybertruck launch

• Advertisement

Short case looking strong

This was posted when TSLA was at about USD230 about 9 months ago :D

Advertisement