Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Program 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

Wow. Did it sound like a definite restart or just looking for interest?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

Not sure really. It just said they were contacting the candidates who previously passed the tests to see if their still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AlfaTangoCharlie

I got the same email, hopefully this means they’re restarting the selection process soon. If FEAST results are only valid for 2 years, it’ll be in their best interest to continue with the testing before Feb 2022. Saves time/money etc…

Anyone have any word on the 2017/2018 classes resuming their training?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Good to see people are getting contacted again regarding recruitment.

Word on the grapevine is that the two classes that had their training suspended will potentially be back quite a bit sooner than they thought.

Eurocontrol posted projections on traffic recovery that state full recovery by 2023, a year earlier than the previous 2024 model, so staffing will definitely be an important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mckclaudia

Hey all! I got one of the emails from the IAA registering interest to continue the programme. I emailed them back but have heard nothing sense. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement

In the same boat, heard nothing since that email, would be great to get more info but I doubt it this side of Christmas, still hopeful though!

I have heard from a source that SCP 17 are restarting training next week with SCP 18 to follow on later in the year or sooner.

Good news at least for those in the 'holding pool' of different stages of recuitment, as it does take quite a period of time to run the different stages.

Brilliant, hopefully things start ramping up again soon! I got an email shortly before Christmas saying they’re looking to hold the group scenario phase virtually due to COVID, and will hopefully be rolled out “in the New Year.”

Anyone have any updates?.. :/

Nothing yet my end! Definitely concerned because our test results have expired by now I’d say :(

• Advertisement

Just updating the thread! Email was sent out this morning regarding continuing the process (:

Great to hear. Is it continuing where people left off? As in proceeding to group interview etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoisFharraige

The next stage of the recruitment process is taking place currently.

I completed an online questionnaire two weeks ago and this week completed a virtual interview with a psychologist.

Final (face to face) interviews will take place in May for anyone lucky enough to make it that far. #FingersCrossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

How many are they looking for or is it gonna be who you know and advertised cuz they had to...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Application process on going.

To express interest in future recruitment.

Go to IAA website.

open careers tab.

Scroll down to Air Traffic Controller section.

Click on the link.

This opens another page which tells you that recruitment is currently suspended but has another link where you can register interest in possible future recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Anyone know when we will hear back about final phase?

• Advertisement

Final phase of interviews happening 25th May-2nd June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Solete16

Hi guys, does any know how many people usually are in each training course? Thank you!

Normally somewhere from 10 - 16 people. Last couple intakes have been around 12/14 I believe.

only? I thought it would be few more. So do you think they will only take that amount of people on the last interview?

And do you guys know roughly how many will be in the last interview? Thank you!

From my knowledge, you are placed onto a selection panel after a successful final interview.

You are ranked 1 to however many on the panel, so if there are 16 places then the first ranked 16 are offered a place. If someone does not accept, doesn't pass a medical etc, then an offer will be made to the 17th person. I have heard of a panel of approx 35 people being made in previous years, in order to fill two intakes some months apart. In that instance, the first 15 in class one, then second 15 in class two, with some spares on standby. No idea if that is the case this time. There is currently one class nearing the end of training right now, with another due to start back in August.

I'm not sure how many make it to final interview, but taking a rough guess, it wouldn't be too far off the size of the intended panel and then maybe an extra 10 for standby. You've demonstrated cognitive abiility and ticked all the boxes so far up to this point, so your chances are very good if you get to final interview. I don't imagine they would want to interview say any more than double what they intend taking on, as it would waste time & resources, but I could be wrong. From what I know, I believe the interview is less pass/fail and more just used to rank your position on the panel, so that determines if you get an offer, depending on places available, and potentially where you might be stationed down the line. So if 35 people interview, and someone ranks 35, their chances are lower for a place, naturally.

For the interview itself, be calm, direct & succint, know the company and what they do, and have a general appreciation for what the role of an air traffic controller is, how serious the task is etc, and you will be fine. Be interested but not 'obsessed' with the industry. I have heard previously they want hard workers who can show evidence of problem solving and team work, as opposed to people who follow it as a hobby and just want to work in aviation because they like to look at airplanes. Get a good nights sleep prior and show up 15 minutes early, smartly & neatly dressed. Hope that helps and good luck all.

Wowwww thank you sooo much for all your tips and explanations! I really appreciate it, truly thank you. Hope it all goes well , fingers crossed!!

Thanks so much for all the tips.

Would you know in the interview is there technical questions on aircrafts and flight, ie Explain the Bernoulli's principle?

Or more competency based on one's experience?

Post edited by Tristan100 on

Does anyone know is today the last day of interviews or are they on-going until Friday?

How long do they normally take to form the panel and let us know?

Any ideas how many people interviewed for how many places on the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MR80

From what I understand they would get back to us next week or the week after.

Advertisement