Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Program 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Both the last two SCP classes have had their contracts terminated

Where exactly were they in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Beersmith wrote: »
    Where exactly were they in the process?

One class was about to start on the job training in a few months. Other class 6 months maybe behind them. Massive problems about this internally. They are incredibly understaffed in operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

NATS still accepting applications, can't see it being this year when another new class enters, but definitely an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

arccosh wrote: »
    NATS still accepting applications, can't see it being this year when another new class enters, but definitely an alternative.

My brother has finished his NATS training and was due to be posted to a UK airport, for his final on the job training, when all this kicked off, he is currently furloughed and waiting to see what happens, he's been on furlough since late March.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Where have you seen this? I looked on their website and it says applications aren't open under trainee controllers

• Advertisement

got an e-mail today about it.. an automatic one I take it which wasn't filtered out I suppose...

As Inquitus, current classes are furloughed, although there was a good bit of chat of getting them back going ASAP when the government guidelines ease and become clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

got an e-mail today about it.. an automatic one I take it which wasn't filtered out I suppose...

As Inquitus, current classes are furloughed, although there was a good bit of chat of getting them back going ASAP when the government guidelines ease and become clearer

That's strange, I registered my interest a while ago with them but didn't receive anything

Paso Fino wrote: »
    That's strange, I registered my interest a while ago with them but didn't receive anything

My Brother has done over a year of training at this point, mostly classroom based, but also a 6 week posting to Brighton Airport in the middle somewhere, he was due to get his final posting when COVID kicked off, and he was furloughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dyno66

Having passed both FEAST and DART exams in February, I have to say I was very disappointed to hear the whole programme is cancelled... I was expecting it to be delayed maybe but not scrapped all together...

I understand the results are valid for 2 years but I cannot apply for either NATS nor EuroControl because of the age limit... I'm 34.

Gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Dyno66 wrote: »
    Having passed both FEAST and DART exams in February, I have to say I was very disappointed to hear the whole programme is cancelled... I was expecting it to be delayed maybe but not scrapped all together...

I understand the results are valid for 2 years but I cannot apply for either NATS nor EuroControl because of the age limit... I'm 34.

Gutted!

Are you sure NATS has an age limit? I thought they removed it years ago because of discrimination.

• Advertisement

Are you sure NATS has an age limit? I thought they removed it years ago because of discrimination.

Aye my brother started in NATS training at 39/40, there is definitely not an age restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

From a few years ago but probably still valid, no upper age restriction at NATS

https://twitter.com/NATS/status/829641550875488261?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dyno66

Thanks, guys! I might send them an email and clarify. I was fairly sure they had an age limit but maybe that was the case years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Thanks, guys! I might send them an email and clarify. I was fairly sure they had an age limit but maybe that was the case years ago....

It was probably something like min 19 on application. Two years training then min ago to hold ATCO license is 21. That's what the iaa one was iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

They did up until about 10 years ago. There will likely be a freeze on trainee recruitment for a while though while they assess their needs for the next few years.

NATS hasn't an upper age limit in place

NATS hasn't an upper age limit in place

There is compulsory retirement I think @65 years of age, not sure if that has changed, it does mean that given they estimate the cost of training is £600k if you are someone who gets on the course at age 40+ you really need to be the best of the best, as the maths does not support the investment given the maximum number of years service you will be able to provide.

67 now. Current controllers on the DB pension scheme are usually gone by 55 though. Most on the DC scheme still aim for the 55/60 mark.

Realistically though, even if you stuck around until that age, you would have more than likely progressed into another element of controlling (management,training, integration etc...) or been binned off actual controlling for health reasons, but there are still some (mostly airport controllers) who hang around on the radio until retirement.

A lot just get sick of controlling, it's great money,but definitely "a way of life" and up sticks and do contract work as and when they need cash around the world.

edit: there was some article in NATS in 17/18 for their oldest new hire controller, who was mid 40's/50's if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

67 now. Current controllers on the DB pension scheme are usually gone by 55 though. Most on the DC scheme still aim for the 55/60 mark.

If you are going to be discussing NATS terms and conditions its best you start a new thread.

Its not a good idea to be confusing poeople with what OTHER employers MAY be offering.

It was a direct response to a query above it.... the only confusion would be if you didn't read the thread, and dropped in a read the final comment (which I suspect you did).
    Also, it's not speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Also, it's not speculation.
    My knowledge of NATS terms and conditions would probably cover the back of a postage stamp so I will bow to your superior knowledge.

the only confusion would be if you didn't read the thread, and dropped in a read the final comment (which I suspect you did).
    Afraid not, followed this tread from the start out of curiosity.

I know far too many "unimpressionable" people. biggrin.png

must be a tough life not being able to follow sequential comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Don't suppose anyone has heard anything from the IAA since the classes were dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Don't suppose anyone has heard anything from the IAA since the classes were dropped?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but no not heard a thing. Cant see the aviation sector picking up anytime soon either

An acquaintance of mine had just completed his NATS training and had been posted to a UK airport for further on the job training when Covid hit air travel, he has been paid a percentage of his wages for doing effectively nothing for the past number of months, but has now been drafted into their Cyber fraud department to work there until air travel picks up again. Its not part of his contract and he will be working 8:30 - 17:00 5 days a week until things change, obviously he is not in a position to refuse to do this random work he has been assigned as that would damage his standing within NATS, kind of a fish in a barrel in that regard! Buts that's what's going on with Trainee Controllers across the Irish sea. They canned all the trainees who had not completed the classroom portion and been assigned to an airport, so he was very lucky in that regard.

From what I heard, there was some interest from LVNL and Eurocontrol in some of those dumped controllers.... don't know how many took the offer up though

Both groups of Trainee Controllers have been completely shelved (Even the ones meant to start on the job training in Shannon/Dublin). Extremely short sighted when Ballycasey was so short-staffed, this summer would have been a disaster for them if it was busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Disaster is probably a stretch...?

Disaster is probably a stretch...?

Well possibly disaster is a bad choice. The ACC was short staffed which would have caused delays this Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

Got an email today saying they're continuing with the recruitment process now.

Advertisement