Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ate at Mr Fox restaurant last night and had to order this Raisins Gaulois from Beaujolais wine product Lapierre.

From what I can tell, it’s Gamay and made in Morgon, so I’m not sure why it’s categorised as VdF. Lapierre must be doing something a little different. Either way, it’s a great example of a classy Beaujolais, lots of red fruit and a touch of aniseed.

Currently available at Green Man Wines €19

FRBE0002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Goru 'Mad Hairy Fella' 2016

"Sumptuous blend of Monastrell, Syrah and Petit Verdot from the Spanish DO of Jumilla. Aged in American oak for 4 months."

Picked this up in curious wine 14.99. One of the things I loved about this was the nose it's massive. Really nice balanced and smooth mouth feel. Nice black fruits I got some pepper on it but that might have been influenced by what I was eating.

Decanted for about 30 minutes before drinking

goru.jpg-1375887016.jpg

^^ that’s a great wine for the money. One of my favorites at CW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’m three months into my Direct Wine Explorers Club and I’m loving it. Only one wine I did not like out of the previous 2 boxes and yesterday’s pack was my upgrade pack so looking forward to trying these.

anewme wrote: »
    I’m three months into my Direct Wine Explorers Club and I’m loving it. Only one wine I did not like out of the previous 2 boxes and yesterday’s pack was my upgrade pack so looking forward to trying these.

Do you want to name them here and tell us about them as you go through them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 fionawong

Will raise my hand for Hakutsuru Plum wine, Japanese one.

747846030029_800x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fionawong wrote: »
    Will raise my hand for Hakutsuru Plum wine, Japanese one.

I tasted an amazing plum sake in Ichigo Ichie in Cork. Really beautiful but €90 for a 50cl bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Júlia Florista Tinto - a soft, smooth fruity unpretentious Portugeuse Red Blend from O'Briens currently on offer at €7.95.

Ideal for a summer evening, perhaps even chilled if temperatures perk up again. Would work well at parties & bbq.

15WPOR001-Julia-Florista-Tinto.png

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

£^^ Sister wine to the famous Porta 6 IIRC

It’s a birthday weekend in our house, so I took one of the vintage champagnes down from the shelf. I chose the 2006 Moët & Chandon simply because it’s the oldest and the one I thought was most in need of drinking. It’s in fabulous condition and could definitely age some more.

41Ziv-B5AE5L.jpg

• Advertisement

FYI, SuperValu have another set of 6 spanish wines for €50, in a wooden presentation box. See page 20 of the specials leaflet for details. If they are running their "Buy 6, get €10 off" then it will be reduced to €40 (they don't seem to be running it at the moment)

At this price, I certainly don't expect magnificence, but it should represent decent value for money (~€8/bottle). All wines are from the Felix Solis Avantis group of wineries

2 x 2017 Centola Albarino
    2 x 2011 Vina Albali Gran Reserva (Tempranillo)
    2 x 2017 Conquero Roble Toro

We are at the Seafood Cafe in Temple Bar last night and it was fantastic. A mix of torched oysters, crab toast, whole grilled squid etc. We had this lovely Txomin Etxaniz Txakoli from the Basque Country, which showed ripe stone fruit, citrus and a lovely acidity. Slight effervescence too. A really good seafood wine.

TX-111_m.jpg

Frim this months wine club...Bidoli Pinot Grigio 2016.

Tasting notes say "this is a Pinot Grigio with attitude and unlike so many of its contemporaries. It has an abundance of flavour and character. Pearcabd aookr aromas dominate."

Looking forward to a couple of glasses with some trashy tv for Friday chill time.

2vmee4i.jpg

Tried this Domaine Rolet Naturé de Jura 2013 last night from Fallon & Byrne. White wines from the Jura can be oxidative in style but this one is made in the ouillé style which means the barrels are topped up to prevent too much oxidisation.

This is a rich, fairly full-bodied white, that still has a lot of citrus, minerality and a touch of savouriness. It was delicious last night, well-chilled, as an apperitif

domaine-rolet-nature-du-jura-2015-75cc.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hedonism Rosé. It's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

beertons wrote: »
    Hedonism Rosé. It's amazing

Second that. I've just polished off a bottle and really enjoyed it.

Sold out of Hedonism completely today. Went for a more expensive 11 minutes. Got 2 as you got the second for half price. By god it better taste better than the last, for the price of it!

455699.jpg

Yirra, I knew they were selling me a pony. Hedonism is a far superior bottle. I like the glass topper on it too, very unique.

beertons wrote: »
    Sold out of Hedonism completely today. Went for a more expensive 11 minutes. Got 2 as you got the second for half price. By god it better taste better than the last, for the price of it!

I remember tasting that Pasqua 11 minutes one at an O’Briens tasting. Thought it was very nice, but can’t offer any comparison to Hedo as I haven’t tasted it. BTW the white from Pasqua is really good.

I think the Hedonism is Bertrand.?

Love their reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can’t remember the the name, but has anyone tried the red wine aged in Bourbon Barrels from Aldi? Sounds weird but I thought it was lovely.

I'm a sucker for advertising...so I went and bought 2 hedonism roses.

Very easy drinking!!!!

M&S Palatia Pinor.

Bit disappointed with this German Pinot Noir. It's zings on the tongue at first sip, aggressive acidity drinkable with food but can't imagine drinking it on it's own. Not sure if I got a dodgy bottle (was screwcap though) because the reviews online were good...
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/three-wines-ms-weekend-october-2017/

Palataia-Pinot-Noir-2016.png

Putting in a new kitchen at the moment and i want to add a "wine cooler"

Anyone have any recommendations or brands they're happy with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I've just come back from Portugal and loved the Green Wine or Vinho Verde that was so easily available over there. Anyone know if it can be got anywhere here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jane98 wrote: »
    I've just come back from Portugal and loved the Green Wine or Vinho Verde that was so easily available over there. Anyone know if it can be got anywhere here?

I love Vinho Verde. You can get in in O’Briens but it’s not cheap. Touching €20 a bottle. A far cry from how cheap it is in Portugal.

I have picked up much cheaper bottles in some of the supermarkets in Newry though.

I’ve also just picked up some bottles in Curious Wines, Cork for around €12/13. Vinho Verde is available around Ireland, but not overly common.

"Little Long Dog", red wine blend from the Languedoc.

Haven't seen this in many places, but it is my goto wine from local independent minimarket C&T in D3.

the_long_little_dog_rouge.jpg

€10 a bottle, not a wine for a great occasion, but lovely with cheese, leftovers, pizza etc

That’s a great wine for the money. I’ve bought it before from Sweeney’s in Phibsboro.

• Advertisement

Love the longue dog. They do a cat one as well tfats good too!

Advertisement