Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

Ireland is already taking far more steps towards a lock down than the UK.
    Pubs, schools and much more.

Yes timing is everything, IMO the UK are getting the timing wrong and I think they are starting to realise that now with announcements comming from there today.

Schools is the only difference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Aegir wrote: »
    Schools is the only difference

No they didn't actually ban large events, they are just not supporting them with the services. Similarly nothing is really closed people are just advised not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm just glad we have Leo and not Boris at our helm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Ireland is already taking far more steps towards a lock down than the UK.
    Pubs, schools and much more.

Yes timing is everything, IMO the UK are getting the timing wrong and I think they are starting to realise that now with announcements comming from there today.

The problem you have here though is that as Ireland is part of the EU which has handled the crisis very poorly its unlikely anyone would take advice from any EU country in this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you read what the government has been saying, it isn’t about “if” it is when. It is all about timing.

Yeah, you're right: it is all about timing, and the best time to start isolating is the day the virus arrives. Every day lost after that creates more opportunities for the virus to spread and mutate. Johnson's baloney about bringing in measured at "the right time" - and anyone who repeats it - is proof positive that that person hasn't got the foggiest notion of how viral diseases work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

30 billion in loans.

I mean they have got to be joking. This is looking like one big joke.

Kill a few off deliberately then put them into mass debt.
    Strewth.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I live in a town with a population of more than 88000 in northwest England,the streets are pretty much deserted and people are following the advice of the government and so enforced restrictions which can be seen in other European countries haven't been necessary to date.in addition,this is a new virus so to imply one country's strategy is right/wrong is BS and those doing it are actually showing themselves to be ignorant.

Your town. I have family all over West Yorkshire, & I can tell you, they & everyone around them are going about their normal business.
    Why?
    Because they don't think there's any big deal, their government has told them there isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

RobMc59 wrote:
    The problem you have here though is that as Ireland is part of the EU which has handled the crisis very poorly its unlikely anyone would take advice from any EU country in this subject.

But if your referring to the worst affected regions in Europe as in Italy and Spain, they only started taking the steps to start locking down after the outbreaks have already spread significantly.

We here in Ireland and the UK have the luxury of 2/3 weeks extra to plan for what's happening, we are now starting to see more concerning numbers coming from the UK in relation to cases and deaths so far, and here in Ireland.

There is no way to know yet weather our attempts to curb the infection rate is working as its still way to early to say since we started closing schools ect.

meeeeh wrote: »
    No they didn't actually ban large events, they are just not supporting them with the services. Similarly nothing is really closed people are just advised not to go.

Same as here then.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Your town. I have family all over West Yorkshire, & I can tell you, they & everyone around them are going about their normal business.
    Why?
    Because they don't think there's any big deal, their government has told them there isn't a problem.

My family and friends in London say the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Every time i look at the temple bar camera i get more anxious theres plenty of people in town

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

The people in London interviewed on TV said the opposite.... Looked pretty busy too.....
    See how this goes......!

The people in London interviewed on TV said the opposite.... Looked pretty busy too.....
    See how this goes......!

Dun Laoghaire was pretty busy today, at a glance you would almost think people are carrying on as normal.

Optics can be very different to people’s actions and that is what is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Same as here then.

Please stop lying. This is a very serious issue. More people will die because of the delay in implementing controls in the UK compared to if they had implemented them faster.

Indoor gatherings of greater than 100 people were banned in Ireland last week. Outdoor gatherings of more than 500 were also banned.

Dun Laoghaire was pretty busy today, at a glance you would almost think people are carrying on as normal.

Optics can be very different to people’s actions and that is what is important.

Can you explain this please?
    Optics are different to people's actions?
    So, if I see lots of groups of people in gangs together.........???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Same as here then.

I suppose thats why despite having a population 12 times higher than us, their death rate is 35 times higher. They had the same warning we had and did precisely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think we can compare death rates yet. What country acted well will be only indicated when people start dying (or don't die) due to issues with capacity. Lombardy has now no available critical beds. Nobody wants to be next Italy. And for our sake and due to open border we should hope Britain or Ireland don't end up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Same as here then.

Nope, indoor gatherings over 100 have been banned here full stop, the UK have done nothing close to this still.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And its impossible 2 different behaviours could be taking place several hundred miles apart....

The UK literally have admitted they got it wrong but you and Rob and the other usuals are so dug into your rule brittania routine that you will still try and spin things regardless of the actual very real facts. Pathetic considering the stakes at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

RobMc59 wrote: »

EU countries responded too slowly, but have now taken huge steps to stop the spread of the virus. The UK failure to respond effectivly will cause many avoidable deaths. Every day lost to implementing measures to suppress the virus will result in more deaths.

The death toll in the UK is likely to be far worse than China or Italy becasue of the British governments failure to act in time.

• Advertisement

50 times our death rate now. The arrogance was so great that the British health minister withdrew from daily european briefings of health ministers. Presumably because information from Italy and Spain was no use to him. Boris and co will pay a heavy price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Their population density issue could be a type of square root multiplier (so more than just x12, guess at x24, x36, even x48 for total figures).
    But this really only realtes to Ldn, which will have it very bad. Also the lack of community spirit, and lack of sense of 'look out' for neighbours could be factors there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My nephew is a teacher in Surrey. He’s been told he’ll be working from home from next Monday. He says there is zero concern about Covid19 in the leafy suburb that is Woking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The UK's response has now effectively shown itself for the inadequate waste it was. Not one for conspiracy but if ever there was a concerted effort to kill off the old and the sick....

splinter65 wrote: »
    My nephew is a teacher in Surrey. He’s been told he’ll be working from home from next Monday. He says there is zero concern about Covid19 in the leafy suburb that is Woking.

They were sitting in the pubs on sky news saying the government should be stricter. You couldn't make this sh1t up. The message is terrible. Massive Patricks day party in Liverpool and elsewhere yet not a single one in Ireland. They'll end up worse than Italy.

I got a load of photos from St Patricks Day in the Irish centre in Leeds. Big party
    They don't think it's a big deal because their government has been telling them it's not!

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nope, indoor gatherings over 100 have been banned here full stop.

no they haven't.

threeball wrote: »
    They were sitting in the pubs on sky news saying the government should be stricter. You couldn't make this sh1t up. The message is terrible. Massive Patricks day party in Liverpool and elsewhere yet not a single one in Ireland. They'll end up worse than Italy.
    I got a load of photos from St Patricks Day in the Irish centre in Leeds. Big party
    They don't think it's a big deal because their government has been telling them it's not!

so it's the Irish in the UK causing the problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A UK supplier to where I work saw Vsradksrs speech last night - he said he wished they had a leader like him.

Boris simply mimics trump.

Massive community transmission the southeast / London area. Possibly will be worse than Italy

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    A UK supplier to where I work saw Vsradksrs speech last night - he said he wished they had a leader like him.

Boris simply mimics trump.

Massive community transmission the southeast / London area. Possibly will be worse than Italy

I thought Leo’s speech was good and inspiring, but it didn’t tell us much.

We need positive action on the current closures. We all know the schools aren’t going back until the 20th April at the very earliest, but in reality this is it for the school year, so where is the decision on exams?

There is also very little questioning of ministers. Plenty of tweets and questions to the dept for health, but have we actually seen Leo or the Simon’s put in front of journalists and questioned?

Yiu can say what you like about Boris, but he isn’t hiding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement